Can Cromartie or Wilson cover Welker ?

GREENBEAN

I will admit I drank the cool-aid this summer and believed that our new threesome of CB's 9once revis was signed of course) was going to blanket the field. I'm not a doom and gloom Jets fan and mostly try and see the positives however few they may be and I am thinking that our guys in the defensive backfield will improve over the course of the season. But I have to say I'm afraid of what Welker and Brady are going to be able to do to our D.

Moss can say what he wants. Revis is going to our muscle him till he gives up once again.

It's Welker that scares me.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will admit I drank the cool-aid this summer and believed that our new threesome of CB's 9once revis was signed of course) was going to blanket the field. I'm not a doom and gloom Jets fan and mostly try and see the positives however few they may be and I am thinking that our guys in the defensive backfield will improve over the course of the season. But I have to say I'm afraid of what Welker and Brady are going to be able to do to our D.

Moss can say what he wants. Revis is going to our muscle him till he gives up once again.

It's Welker that scares me.

I don't think Cromartie will be too much help on Welker and I expect to see a lot of Wilson on him. I expect Welker to get his. He usually does. OTOH, I think Wilson (or even Cromartie) will be MUCH better than what we put on Welker (and Edelman) last year. MUCH. If we are able to easily stop the run and Revis deals with Moss then there should be plenty of help for Welker. If not, it's trouble, but still better than last year.

I don't think Cromartie will be too much help on Welker and I expect to see a lot of Wilson on him. I expect Welker to get his. He usually does. OTOH, I think Wilson (or even Cromartie) will be MUCH better than what we put on Welker (and Edelman) last year. MUCH. If we are able to easily stop the run and Revis deals with Moss then there should be plenty of help for Welker. If not, it's trouble, but still better than last year.

NO! Welker will have his catches.

Cromartie and Wilson can't cover Welker. They'll probably do what they started doing with Boldin when he was on the left side on Monday, chipping him underneath with a safety or linebacker and passing off to the corner. Welker's going to get his but he's basically just a substitute for a running game. Stop him early and he's less of a threat to convert on third down, don't and he'll paper cut us to death.

I've said it, and maybe I'm wrong, but I feel as though Cro matched up on Moss and Revis on Welker is the best option that we have. Cro, due to his long legs and strides, does not come out of his breaks as well as Revis and thus cannot match up with a terrific, shifty route-runner like Welker. However, he can go stride for stride with just about anyone, which is why I feel he's better match up against moss with safety help.

Cro has terrific ball skills and with safety help, I'd take that matchup against Moss rather than letting Welker have 15 catches for 15 first downs and 190 yards again or whatever it was in week 11 last year.

I agree. I think you'll see Revis man up on Moss most of the day, and the Jets applying a lot of zone to Welker. Wilson pressing him, and various LB's and safeties taking shots at him over the middle. Might even see Revis on Welker in some 3rd down situations, with Cro getting safety help on Moss.

Cromartie is a less physical Otis Smith. He'll be toasted all day, but get the occasional pick in. He makes that woman Keri Rhodes look like a tranny. One game, and it's obvious how laughable the idea that Cro could step in for Revis was.

The Pats run an annoying offense, obviously. Welker is going to catch his underneath stuff- they key is tackling and not giving up the YAC.

The Patriots will move the ball through the air gradually. Just have to keep them out of the endzone and hope our offense can get their sh*t together.

Jam Welker- blow up the bubble screens they like to run and we have a chance. Also we have to hope Revis can do his thing on Randy, which I think he will.

This Pats offense isn't unstoppable.

This is a terrible idea. Moss can beat us by himself. Revis isn't covering Welker.

As opposed to Welker having a mere 15 catches for 192 yards?? How many of those were driving saving?? You'd be foolish not to think that Welker can't beat us by himself either, which he will if he's not given the proper attention. I'm sure Revis will be on Moss all game, I just don't think Cro matches up well against welker. I think he's better suited to play the ball in the air against someone like Moss.

Taking Revis off Moss would be suicide.

Cro could barely keep up with Derrick Mason.

Did you see Cro against Boldin?? He was toasted, he cannot get out of his breaks quick enough on a great route-runner like Welker. I think he's much better suited to shadow Moss with safety help.

As opposed to Welker having a mere 15 catches for 192 yards?? How many of those were driving saving?? You'd be foolish not to think that Welker can't beat us by himself either, which he will if he's not given the proper attention. I'm sure Revis will be on Moss all game, I just don't think Cro matches up well against welker. I think he's better suited to play the ball in the air against someone like Moss.

Did you see Cro against Boldin?? He was toasted, he cannot get out of his breaks quick enough on a great route-runner like Welker. I think he's much better suited to shadow Moss with safety help.

Revis on anyone but Moss is insane. For us to win this game we need to limit the Pats to field goals. Welker can't score from 50 yards out like Moss can.

Welker will get his catches- the key is making the first tackle and stopping them in the redzone. The bubble plays Welker scored on cant happen if we want to win. Jam, jam, jam.

Cro wont be on the slot either. Its going to be Wilson, Lowery and safety help

Either way we're ****ed. Who ever Revis doesn't cover is going to have a big game. We just have to hope that the O scores some points so we're really ****ed.

WTF happen to the censor thingy?

I agree. If we can try and stuff Welker at the line and get some pressure on Brady this will be a much more winnable game. I like that Moss is talking like he is. Revis will take him out of the game and once again he will become the lazy slouch that he is once he knows the ball will not be coming his way. Moss, with Revis here, does not scare me as much as the Welker/Edleman piece.

they'll prolly put Revis on him from time to time in the slot. thats what they did last year.

Then brady will look to go deep to Moss, I have no faith in Cro on Moss.

I know name wise, it does not sound so, but it's easier to get off AlCrotraz, then it is Revis Island.

Depending on the game situation, they may be better off just seeing if Wilson or Cro can stick welker.

Revis on anyone but Moss is insane. For us to win this game we need to limit the Pats to field goals. Welker can't score from 50 yards out like Moss can.

Welker will get his catches- the key is making the first tackle and stopping them in the redzone. The bubble plays Welker scored on cant happen if we want to win. Jam, jam, jam.

Cro wont be on the slot either. Its going to be Wilson, Lowery and safety help

I just distinctly remember that shutting down Moss and the running game won us our first matchup, but doing the same when Welker was back did us nothing. He is a de facto running game, which gets them first downs, eats up the clock and keeps our defense on the field. I think we win the battle with cro and a safety on moss more often than wilson or cro on welker. Either way it's going to be a tough matchup for whoever isn't Revis.

actually I think wilson will have an easier time covering welker than boldin, Welker can never be a number 1 receiver hes not fast enough, not tall enough, not athletic enough. I think wilson and a linebacker can take him on screens and slants over the middle which is all welker catches.

Revis will get on Moss.

And that leaves the patriots with two young tight ends for cromartie and safety help.

Cromartie and Wilson can't cover Welker. They'll probably do what they started doing with Boldin when he was on the left side on Monday, chipping him underneath with a safety or linebacker and passing off to the corner. Welker's going to get his but he's basically just a substitute for a running game. Stop him early and he's less of a threat to convert on third down, don't and he'll paper cut us to death.

This. Put someone right at the line to knock the sh*t out of him and release him to a corner...whoever that might be.

The game plan has to be, let Revis take away Moss, and try to do what you can with Welker. Personally, I think Rex lets Welker do what he does. He aint going to beat you long and he aint going to win the game single handedly. Let him get his catches, he'll get his yac...just dont let it happen in the redzone.

What scares me, is the TE's they release that can catch the ball.

Cromartie is too tall and lanky for Welker. Wilson is built to cover him, but very raw.

Wilson did a lot better in his NFL debut than most people give him credit for. He covered well and seemed to be better than Cro.The pass interference penalty on him in the end zone was a BS call.

Cro just needs to trust his abilties. Maybe its first game jitters. One of the legit PI penalties was when Cro was already in great position to make a play and did not have swipe at the receivers hands.

Finally those refs from last game should be refereeing something wimpish and not football!

Archived