The Jets will Rise Again

Maxman

I'd rather get a WR who can play special teams to replace Smith...Not sure we have to worry about the Wildcat anymore except in the most minute numbers...especially if Smith is vapors.

I live 20 Min from Lane Stadium and I have been to quite a few Hokie Games. If we can get him in the 5th his skill set is very close to Brad Smiths.I Truly think he could return kicks and plenty of people feel the Seminole was a effective tool this year. The Kid got wheels. What say you Bit?

Edited by F.Chowds

Another quick question right in your wheelhouse, Bit - what did the Oline prospects looks like? Lots of good tackles from what I hear, but what did you see?

Gabe Carimi really impressed me. the North coaches had 3 left tackles to pick from when making their practice lineup... Carimi, Solder and Castonzo... and they picked Carimi. I thought they screwed up at first but as practice started it was clear why they picked him as the best player. He excelled in drills and is a really solid player. He's more of a jumbo elliot than a dbrick but he can be a real left tackle, in pass protection and that wasn't what people thought about him going into the week. Sherrod and Solder have great potential but real holes in their technique. Castonzo wasn't as impressive as the others and will be a solid not great player at the next level. Carimi can be great and that surprised me.

I live 20 Min from Lane Stadium and I have been to quite a few Hokie Games. If we can get him in the 5th his skill set is very close to Brad Smiths.I Truly think he could return kicks and plenty of people feel the Seminole was a effective tool this year. The Kid got wheels. What say you Bit?

I can see it happening. Not only do the Jets need a wildcat QB but they also need a developmental type to replace Clemens. Taylor has a better arm than many realize and while he's not franchise material I think he could be effective in a "last man standing" scenario. Or the Bollinger scenario as Jets historians call it. He's a player that will have to run well and like Brad Smith give up his dreams of "only QB" that's what killed Pat White's career. Oh and they could just get Pat White ;) i think he's a free agent.

Edited by bitonti

another Jets related prognostication: just cause they used a 2 on Cro doesn't mean they HAVE to keep him.

In this league, with these passing offenses, 3 CBs is necessary and 4 is ideal. I don't know that the Jets have 3 good CBs, even with Revis and Cromartie can they depend on Kyle Wilson?

Let's say they sign Holmes and Harris, franchise Edwards... are they really gonna have another 8-9 mil per year for Cro (worth 14 under a franchise tag)? Cro might be overrated by the media. He got caught on some bad penalties this year, can be vulnerable to comebacks and double moves, and he doesn't really tackle.

Even more disturbingly, Cro is the only of the "big 4" free agents that we can remember mailing it in on the field, against our Jets in the SD game. He mailed it in to get traded. Harris is dependable not only to give effort, but high effort. Holmes may be a eff up and Edwards too they he never pulled that kind of 'effort' stunt... in a big game? these guys want to play. Can they stay out of jail is another question but they never mailed it in like Cro did... and that still makes me wonder if he's the right guy to write a really big paycheck to...

meanwhile Rex loves CBs and there's a nice bumper crop of value shaping up at the end of round 1. Guys like Jimmy Smith, Aaron Williams, Chukie Brown, Brandon Harris have all sorts of value (better arguably than the next best OLB, S or whatever) and as last year proved Rex LOVES Cb's.

Put it another way, Ya know how the Giants need OL, LB, all these positions but ALWAYS take a DE in the draft?

The Jets could take a CB every year that Rex is the coach and it wouldn't be a shock.

Edited by bitonti

another Jets related prognostication: just cause they used a 2 on Cro doesn't mean they HAVE to keep him.

Let's say they sign Holmes and Harris, franchise Edwards... are they really gonna have another 8-9 mil per year for Cro (worth 14 under a franchise tag)? Cro might be overrated by the media. He got caught on some bad penalties this year, can be vulnerable to comebacks and double moves, and he doesn't really tackle.

Even more disturbingly, Cro is the only of the "big 4" free agents that we can remember mailing it in on the field, against our Jets in the SD game. He mailed it in to get traded. Harris is dependable not only to give effort, but high effort. Holmes may be a eff up and Edwards too they he never pulled that kind of 'effort' stunt... in a big game? these guys want to play. Can they stay out of jail is another question but they never mailed it in like Cro did... and that still makes me wonder if he's the right guy to write a really big paycheck to...

meanwhile Rex loves CBs and there's a nice bumper crop of value shaping up at the end of round 1. Guys like Jimmy Smith, Aaron Williams, Chukie Brown, Brandon Harris have all sorts of value (better arguably than the next best OLB, S or whatever) and as last year proved Rex LOVES Cb's.

Put it another way, Ya know how the Giants need OL, LB, all these positions but ALWAYS take a DE in the draft?

The Jets could take a CB every year that Rex is the coach and it wouldn't be a shock. In this league, with these passing offenses, 3 CBs is necessary and 4 is ideal. I don't know that the Jets have 3 good CBs, even with Revis and Cromartie can they depend on Kyle Wilson?

Cro is still the finished product. And most of his awfulness was when Wilson was subbing for Revis. Which consisted of 74,000 people screaming TURN THE F__ AROUND! on a big completion against Wilson several times a game.How much of that was Cro doing his level best to compensate? Which gets it back to the start; after spending a 1st rounder on Wilson how can you justify spending another top pick on a CB when the front 7 is creaking with age and JAGism everywhere? Hope Wilson turns it around, but the idea of having another high CB pick basically contribute nothing is scary. Edited by Bugg

Cro is still the finished product. And most of his awfulness was when Wilson was subbing for Revis. Which consisted of 74,000 people screaming TURN THE F__ AROUND! on a big completion against Wilson several times a game.How much of that was Cro doing his level best to compensate? Which gets it back to the start; after spending a 1st rounder on Wilson how can you justify spending another top pick on a CB when the front 7 is creaking with age and JAGism everywhere? Hope Wilson turns it around, but the idea of having another high CB pick basically contribute nothing is scary.

All the reasons you say Wilson sucks above only strengthens the need for a cornerback. 1 guy gets hurt they are boned. even with Cro and Revis they don't have enough corners.

I can see the case fro Cro, but this isn't about what Bitonti or Bugg want to draft. It's not about the fans. I'm trying to crawl inside the mind of the Jets and each time I lok at it I see the same thing... Holmes and Harris get deals. Edwards gets tagged and Cromartie see ya later. It's not ideal but out of those 4 guys who else is the odd man out?

looking big picture who would bet against Rex Ryan taking a cornerback in any draft, or possibly even in every draft. The dude is CB addicted and has a big voice on draft day...

Edited by bitonti

Revis/Cromartie/Coleman/Wilson is probably one of the best deepest, if not the deepest, CB set in the league. CB is a definite possibility, but more to help depth and turnover than anything else...I'd rather grab a Carmichael or Van Dyke or really any one of the bunch late...keep Cromartie but no franchise on him.

I'm just gonna point out that it's been 8 years since the Jets last took a DT in the draft and about 7 since they got a full season out of a really good one.

Edited by SenorGato
  • Haha 1

All the reasons you say Wilson sucks above only strengthens the need for a cornerback. 1 guy gets hurt they are boned. even with Cro and Revis they don't have enough corners.

I can see the case fro Cro, but this isn't about what Bitonti or Bugg want to draft. It's not about the fans. I'm trying to crawl inside the mind of the Jets and each time I lok at it I see the same thing... Holmes and Harris get deals. Edwards gets tagged and Cromartie see ya later. It's not ideal but out of those 4 guys who else is the odd man out?

looking big picture who would bet against Rex Ryan taking a cornerback in any draft, or possibly even in every draft. The dude is CB addicted and has a big voice on draft day...

Harris is a very effective tackler. But ILBs are not exactly a prized commodity; why overpay him over Cro? In fact the Jets played a 3 playoff games often with Eric Smith and/or Brodney poole on the field rather than an ILB. Agree that Ryan loves DBs. But a real pass rush from a DE or a OLB would make that less a priority. Kinda have to play drunk with DBs because there is not much of a pass rush.

Suspect what RYan would love is for either Ngata or Suggs to shake free somehow, or to draft or sign players like that. Easier said than done. Ngata will be tagged. I have no idea what Suggs' contract is.

Harris is a very effective tackler. But ILBs are not exactly a prized commodity; why overpay him over Cro? In fact the Jets played a 3 playoff games often with Eric Smith and/or Brodney poole on the field rather than an ILB. Agree that Ryan loves DBs. But a real pass rush from a DE or a OLB would make that less a priority. Kinda have to play drunk with DBs because there is not much of a pass rush.

Suspect what RYan would love is for either Ngata or Suggs to shake free somehow, or to draft or sign players like that. Easier said than done. Ngata will be tagged. I have no idea what Suggs' contract is.

I don't think Suggs is going anywhere. He signed a huge deal in 2009 and got something like a $25M bonus last year> Now his contract should be (relatively) manageable for the Ravens. He'll have to hold out or really be hated to go anywhere.

Harris is a very effective tackler. But ILBs are not exactly a prized commodity; why overpay him over Cro?

David Harris the vocal leader of the defense and let's be honest he's gonna work hard no matter what he's paid. He's risk free. We know that he's reliable, we don't know that about Cro.

looking at the draft board... there's a nice bumper crop of late round 1 CB. assuming that there was a run on DE it might be the best value. And just to reiterate this isn't about what I want... the Jets love to draft CBs. and Coleman is likely not to be resigned. So that leaves Revis, Wilson, Cole and who else under contract?

Edited by bitonti

David Harris the vocal leader of the defense and let's be honest he's gonna work hard no matter what he's paid. He's risk free. We know that he's reliable, we don't know that about Cro.

looking at the draft board... there's a nice bumper crop of late round 1 CB. assuming that there was a run on DE it might be the best value. And just to reiterate this isn't about what I want... the Jets love to draft CBs. and Coleman is likely not to be resigned. So that leaves Revis, Wilson, Cole and who else under contract?

Or, you ask your defensive genius HC to identify a pass rushing OLB he can coach up and let him do for Kyle Wilson and Marquice Cole what Clay Matthews did for every Packers corner not named Charles Woodson.

Or, you ask your defensive genius HC to identify a pass rushing OLB he can coach up and let him do for Kyle Wilson and Marquice Cole what Clay Matthews did for every Packers corner not named Charles Woodson.

Feed Pace and Thomas HGH for breakfast, perhaps? My point is you can get a decent ILB like Harris; the amrket for him is deep and reasonable. There's no reason to overpay him. As to Cro and good cover corners, there aren't any, they are at a premium. And to draft someone like they did with Wilson and assume he can do the job is kinda silly when you know Cro can.

Edited by Bugg

Gabe Carimi really impressed me. the North coaches had 3 left tackles to pick from when making their practice lineup... Carimi, Solder and Castonzo... and they picked Carimi. I thought they screwed up at first but as practice started it was clear why they picked him as the best player. He excelled in drills and is a really solid player. He's more of a jumbo elliot than a dbrick but he can be a real left tackle, in pass protection and that wasn't what people thought about him going into the week. Sherrod and Solder have great potential but real holes in their technique. Castonzo wasn't as impressive as the others and will be a solid not great player at the next level. Carimi can be great and that surprised me.

A heard an interview on Sirius NFL Radio with Paul Alexander who had good things to say about Carimi in particular. Could the others work as right tackles in the NFL? Any interior lineman stand out? Jets could use another Rob Turner type player as a swing guard/center, or maybe even as competition for Slauson/Ducasse (or is he the right tackle?).

Not sure I consider Harris the vocal leader on d...seems more like Scotts role...also he's the only lber besides pace with an injury that's taken him out...the afl in college...he's just as uP n the air as anyone else. He might also be the most expensive fa of the big four fas. Also another 8 mill lber holds some risk...especially if you're pushing for a de/Olb in the first. Cromartie also players a more vital role in this d...also I hope they resign Coleman, a very good player for us now.

i dont see them going after a corner early because i think they will give wilson a shot, they trusted him enough to play in the playoffs, i think they let cro walk and have wilson start, resign coleman because hell be way cheaper than cro and theyll have revis/wilson/coleman/cole/lowery unless lowery moves to full time safety but if he does maybe they go after one later on just for depth. if you honestly think about it, cromartie was pretty much our most faulty cb on the field pretty much all year, wilson will only get better

• Haha 1

Bit, I know it's out of the box thinking, but what if Mark Ingram falls to 30? IMO, adding a workhorse back cures a lot of ills for this offense. Greene gets nicked too much and LT is toast. Maybe Tannenbaum decides he's too good a value to pass up?

Remind me again how much time Greene missed this year due to injury.

If a corner is the BAP...why not?

Exactly.

It's fun to speculate, but the Jets will most likely go BAP -with the exception of maybe QB- in the first round. Especially if they don't have the opportunity to do any FA work with the CBA still up in the air.

Harris doesnt even talk, but he's a vocal leader? Scott MIGHT be, but he's not really a good enough player to have that type of command.

Jets dont really have a Bruschi or Ray Lewis type leader. Scott is an impersonation. Jenkins was that guy, but at this point he's the Chad Pennington of Dlineman.

• 12 years later...
On 2/1/2011 at 12:43 AM, JetNation said:

LB Von Miller, Texas A&M: Miller is smart, can pass rush like a demon, cover running backs and tight ends, and in general was most likely defender at the Senior Bowl to make an impact play. He is a player with rare athletic gifts and Miller projects as a slightly undersized outside linebacker in Rex’s defense (examples from other 3-4’s include Clay Matthews or James Harrison). But Miller also fits as a strong side 4-3 SLB and this might actually be his best position. Either way he is a likely day 1 starter in any defensive scheme, and his draft stock is soaring from top 20 before the week, to borderline top 10 status after the week.

I hope we take this guy!

On 2/1/2011 at 3:29 PM, slats said:

So is it safe to start calling Gholston a bust, then? Or is it still too early to tell?

It's safe!

• Ugh 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Hey @bitonti. Will the Jets rise again in 2023?

Re reading this I was clearly drunk on southern comfort 

Although I remember being very high on cam Heyward who ended up going 31 and still playing with Pittsburgh. He's a 4x all pro and 6x pro bowl. the Jets took mo Wilkerson one pick before 

Von Miller legit was one of the best pass rushers I've ever seen fwiw 

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Re reading this I was clearly drunk on southern comfort 

Although I remember being very high on cam Heyward who ended up going 31 and still playing with Pittsburgh. He's a 4x all pro and 6x pro bowl. the Jets took mo Wilkerson one pick before 

Von Miller legit was one of the best pass rushers I've ever seen fwiw 

Those guys are first ballot. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Those guys are first ballot. 

The Gabe Carimi story turned out interesting 

he was the bears starting RT and playing well, then his knee fell apart. Multiple surgeries. Then that same knee became a part of the Gregg Williams bounty gate scandal when he was a target of a bounty by the Saints D.  

His nickname was hilarious. Just so people don't think I'm making this up, this is what NBC called coverage 13 years ago 

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/carimi-has-new-number-needs-nickname/1907304/

• Haha 1