Kirwan: Jets Keller Top 15 Tight End

JetNation

helmet.gif

Recently on the NFL.com Pat Kirwan ranked the tight ends in the NFL by placing them into groups based on their skill sets.  The Jets Dustin Keller was slotted in “Level C”, which ranks from #11-15  along with players like Greg Olsen (Bears), Todd Heap (Ravens), Brent Celek (Eagles), and Visanthe Shiancoe (Vikings).

It is interesting to read how the rest of the NFL views Dustin Keller as I continue to believe that DK is a match-up nightmare for opposing defenses.  Keller is too explosive for a linebacker to cover him, and has the size to overpower defensive backs and safeties.

In order for Dustin to bring his game to the next level he needs to become a little more consistent with his pass catching, and the Jets need to do a better job of getting him involved in the game plan.

Kirwan’s Top 5: Dallas Clark (Colts), Jason Witten (Cowboys), Antonio Gates (Chargers), Vernon Davis (49ers), Marcedes Lewis (Jaguars)

So where do you think Dustin Keller ranks Jets fans? Discuss in the JetNation.com forums

di</img>di</img>

CYz9UN55Rqg

View the full article

Keller will be a lot better when Schottenheimer isn't changing his role every other week. When he's featured in the offense, he's shown signs of being unstoppable, then the next week he's invisible. Part of that is probably on Keller, but a lot of it is on the scheme, IMO.

Keller will be a lot better when Schottenheimer isn't changing his role every other week. When he's featured in the offense, he's shown signs of being unstoppable, then the next week he's invisible. Part of that is probably on Keller, but a lot of it is on the scheme, IMO.

Schottenheimer doesn't have enough talent to run an explosive offense.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Keller definitely needs to become a more consistent player, but his involvement in the game plan seems to come and go by the week with little explanation. And while he may not be great at it, he's certainly an adequate enough blocker at this point that it's no longer the excuse it was early in his career when they were constantly pulling him off the field. The funny thing about it is as much as we can sit here and argue about Holmes vs Edwards, Sanchez seems to be at his best when Keller is the one featured in the passing offense.

They've been holding onto Cumberland for a reason....

Keller is more frustrating than anything. Can't keep his feet, passes that bounce of his head, isn't aggressive to the ball.

If he's wide open he's nice to have because of his above average speed for the position, but other than that idk- he's replaceable. Plus Scotty McKnight was Sanchez's real boyfriend anyways.

All the knocks on him are true, but I like him anyway. I don't think he's as awful as some people make him out to be. He really needs to learn how to stay on his feet though. He probably left at least 200 yards on the field last year by tripping over himself.

Keller is so horribly inconsistent. I dont think it has to do too much with the offense either. I think its a concentration thing. Part of the problem is he has no position. The story was always that he was a WR in a TE body, but he isnt really a WR. His skillset just isnt there. Hes athletic and can go up and get the ball from time to time but you dont see him making the kind of plays others who had that label make. Clearly he isnt an everydown TE that is going to line up on the line and block and release. I think this is a huge year for him. I thought last year would have been the jump year as he followed a WR pattern, but it didnt happen. Hopefully it does this year, but if not the Jets better pick up a guy to play with him that can do more than Hartsock. The Jets totally lack that guy that can fool the defense into thinking he is blocking but then go out and pick up a first down or an easy score. For all the crap Anthony Becht used to get he was perfect in that role.

Keller is so horribly inconsistent. I dont think it has to do too much with the offense either. I think its a concentration thing. Part of the problem is he has no position. The story was always that he was a WR in a TE body, but he isnt really a WR. His skillset just isnt there. Hes athletic and can go up and get the ball from time to time but you dont see him making the kind of plays others who had that label make. Clearly he isnt an everydown TE that is going to line up on the line and block and release. I think this is a huge year for him. I thought last year would have been the jump year as he followed a WR pattern, but it didnt happen. Hopefully it does this year, but if not the Jets better pick up a guy to play with him that can do more than Hartsock. The Jets totally lack that guy that can fool the defense into thinking he is blocking but then go out and pick up a first down or an easy score. For all the crap Anthony Becht used to get he was perfect in that role.

Yes Becht was perfect for that role... when he actually caught the ball. The issue with Becht was that he was an amazing blocker but had absolutely horrid hands. That might have been acceptable for your every day backup TE, but for a starter who was a 1st round pick? Yeah, not cutting it. That said, I do agree for the most part on Keller, but I think it's a combination of both that and the offense, as it seems to just come and go in waves whether or not he's included in the game plan at all, which might not be such an issue if it weren't for the fact that Keller being on generally seems to be a huge boon to Sanchez.

I've always thought he should be used like Dallas Clark. Every time Dustin Keller lines up as a traditional TE, it's a wasted down for him professionally. Pre-draft, I was rooting for the Jets to draft Kyle Rudolph so he could be the traditional TE while Keller was put on the move. I don't think Schottenheimer helps him at all by refusing to scheme ways to get Keller the ball in better positions and, instead, having him bang heads with DE's all game.

Being chosen in the top 15 in a 32 team league means that you are barely in the top half. Perhaps worse than that, since some teams are sure to platoon two or more different players because none of them are good enough to be a full-time starter.

I never understand why our last few home grown TEs have been physical specimens, but would be easily brought down by a Mark McMillan (not Eric :P ) arm tackle? I remember seeing Becht at his 2nd camp (Herm's 1st) and couldn't believe just how MASSIVE the guy was. Thought it was gonna be truck city with that guy, our own Bavaro. Boy was I wrong. I even recall Simms calling him out for his softness, stating something like "You gotta make a decision, you're either gonna be a bull or a gazelle, and good TEs aren't gazelles." Keller is ominously showing the same signs.

How was Kyle Brady after the catch? For the life of me I can't remember his Jet career (probably for good reason). I can picture all of our TEs going back to Shuler, heck even Fred Baxter, but Brady always draws a blank for me. I've completely forgotten about Eric Green and Bubba Franks as well lol.

How was Kyle Brady after the catch? For the life of me I can't remember his Jet career (probably for good reason). I can picture all of our TEs going back to Shuler, heck even Fred Baxter, but Brady always draws a blank for me. I've completely forgotten about Eric Green and Bubba Franks as well lol.

I date back to Richard Caster. He and Jerome Barkum were WR/TE types, and both were solid. Micky Shuler was the man. Every bit the player that Mark Bavaro was, without the fanfare.

Loved Johnny Mitchell, but it just wasn't meant to be. Haven't had a great player at TE since the promise he brought (and failed to deliver on).

I like Dustin Keller better than most here, though. I'd like better, though. I'm a fan of putting the position to use over the Brady/Becht types we've had around here in recent years.

Being chosen in the top 15 in a 32 team league means that you are barely in the top half. Perhaps worse than that, since some teams are sure to platoon two or more different players because none of them are good enough to be a full-time starter.

It means you're good which is what Keller is. He's good. You know er, just good with the potential for more than just...good.

Archived