Is this a Super Bowl team?

CrazyCarl40

At the end of the day, players come and go, but what the main concentration should be is whether or not this team is capable of getting to and winning the Super Bowl. Does anyone get that feeling with this team? Are they up to par with the Steelers, Colts, Pats etc? Can they contend with the Eagles, Packers, and other strong teams in the NFC when it comes time?

I don't know about any of you, but it should be Super Bowl or bust for this team this season. Anything less would be a failure, no?

At the end of the day, players come and go, but what the main concentration should be is whether or not this team is capable of getting to and winning the Super Bowl. Does anyone get that feeling with this team? Are they up to par with the Steelers, Colts, Pats etc? Can they contend with the Eagles, Packers, and other strong teams in the NFC when it comes time?

I don't know about any of you, but it should be Super Bowl or bust for this team this season. Anything less would be a failure, no?

without brad smith and drew coleman ? c'mon, this team sucks

It doesn't matter if we signed 3 megatron clones to play wr, it all comes down to Sanchez. If he has progressed and starts producing to the level he was drafted then undoubtedly I believe we are a super bowl caliber team. I believe in Sanchez and I also think this is the year he will really take that next step.

without brad smith and drew coleman ? c'mon, this team sucks

Yeah it totally doesnt matter that we lost the wr Sanchez had most comradere with. And then got rid of his 3rd,and 4th options as well. Wr's are overrated just ask Rex.

Firstly, after getting beat by the Colts a couple seasons back, we came back and beat them to reach a patriot team that no one gave us a chance against especially after the a$$ kicking they gave us a few weeks prior. We proved that the year prior wasnt a fluke with a rookie head coach/rookie QB. This is a damn good football team.

Secondly, the Eagles??????? How about letting them prove it before being thrown into this convo. Our team has been to the AFC championship twice, we beat legit teams on the way to those games (Chargers, Colts, Patriots...all on "the road") and just so happen to come up short against legit teams, yet the Eagles can so simply get mentioned next to the packers as if the Eagles have been as consistent in the playoffs as either the Packers or Jets?

Yes, the Eagles won the Free Agency Superbowl....but they havent won a game yet so we dont know if its a strong team, and im not looking to give out "insta-cred" just because they pick up some great talent. Lets see if it can fit together before even mentioning them in the same sentence as the Jets.

This is a defensive based team. Defense is bringing virtually everyone back, have a couple young guys ready to step up (Westerman, Pitoitua) and two high draft picks. Complete continuity + new talent = They should be better on that side of the ball than they were last year. So it comes down to the offense...

Offense replaced Edwards with Plaxico. Woody with Hunter. Washes.

Voids left by BSmith and Cotchery need to be filled by guys like Kerley and McKnight. Not an unreasonable idea.

It was all always coming down to Sanchez' development. If he's better, the offense will be better - even if they don't add another player. But they've got cap room, so I'm thinking they'll be adding a couple guys.

If Sanchez is better, this is a Super Bowl caliber team.

The Jets are in a very good position to go all the way this year. The big hurdle is to win the division and get a home playoff game or two. That means getting a better record than the Patsies. I call BS on Rex's statement "we need some other teams to beat the Patriots, we can't do it all by ourselves" (I'm paraphrasing). The truth is only we can control our destiny.

Sanchez has to play consistently better throughout the season. The CS and FO have done a lot to put Mark in a position to win, now it's (mostly) all on him to take the Jets there.

After witnessing more than my share of loser teams over the years, I have total trust in Tanny, Rex to do us fans right for once. The fun part is watching the team make it a reality!

The Jets are in a very good position to go all the way this year. The big hurdle is to win the division and get a home playoff game or two. That means getting a better record than the Patsies. I call BS on Rex's statement "we need some other teams to beat the Patriots, we can't do it all by ourselves" (I'm paraphrasing). The truth is only we can control our destiny.

Sanchez has to play consistently better throughout the season. The CS and FO have done a lot to put Mark in a position to win, now it's (mostly) all on him to take the Jets there.

After witnessing more than my share of loser teams over the years, I have total trust in Tanny, Rex to do us fans right for once. The fun part is watching the team make it a reality!

There is WAAAAAAAAY too much being made out of this bolded statement. The point he was making is that the Patriots lost 3 games all of last year, and 2 of them were to the Jets. There's no doubt that the Pats losing more games would make the Jets lives easier, so of course he'd like for it to happen, there's nothing more to it than that. He certainly didn't make a big deal out of it or try to use it as any sort of excuse, it's just reality though. After all, you DO realize that the Patriots needed "other teams" help to win the division last year, right? After all, they only beat the Jets once and lost to them once, and then lost one other game. If no other team in the league beat the Jets, the Jets win the division. 99% of the time in the NFL, when a team wins a division, they had a little bit of help from some other teams beating their division rivals. The only way that doesn't happen is if a team wins all of it's division matchups and loses no more than 2 of its games all season.

The usual negative jet fans lol. Come on guys. Grow up. We're gonna have a great year. The team didn't change that much overall.

OMG OMG!! COTCHERY AND BRAD SMITH!!!! THE MOST IMPORTANT GUYS ON THE ROSTER!! AHHHHHHH!!!

Right now, I would say no. We need to see what the final roster looks like but we are headed in the wrong direction (the direction of AARP).

I think you are overtating the wrong direction thing. The core is the core. They are young and set. They are adding some aging pieces that will fill some voids and add a no quantity to some unknown positions. They have been doing since they got decent. They did it last year with Pryce, Taylor and Tomlinson. They did it previously with Richardson, the DT Green and DE Coleman. This is nothing more than business as usual.

Before the offseason absoloutely...now, we'll be lucky to go 9-7. Can't wait to watch our offense score 10 pts a game!

Even with the great Braylon Edwards and Jerricho Cotchery they couldn't manage that number four times last season. Can you imagine now!

HELL NO

I'm going to remember this and I am going to quote it repeatedly when you change your tune and return to being a blind homer.

yeah, ignore the fact half our wide receiving core is gone from last season replaced by God knows what.

Actually it's 3/4s, but they got the best one back. The one that Sanchez seemed to click with the most. If you don't know who Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason are I feel for you. Also draft picks. Remember them? They can be useful.

Should be tough, but I don't think this team has lost any wins. The offense should be better and the D is still run by that guy they hired.

Why would the offense be better? Similar maybe, but right now we have basically the same o-line, same RBs, our WR 1b returned, we lost WR 1a, and WR 3.

This is a defensive based team. Defense is bringing virtually everyone back, have a couple young guys ready to step up (Westerman, Pitoitua) and two high draft picks. Complete continuity + new talent = They should be better on that side of the ball than they were last year. So it comes down to the offense...

Offense replaced Edwards with Plaxico. Woody with Hunter. Washes.

Voids left by BSmith and Cotchery need to be filled by guys like Kerley and McKnight. Not an unreasonable idea.

It was all always coming down to Sanchez' development. If he's better, the offense will be better - even if they don't add another player. But they've got cap room, so I'm thinking they'll be adding a couple guys.

If Sanchez is better, this is a Super Bowl caliber team.

:good:

We wont win the division. We wont get home playoff games. We wont go to the SB.

Does that mean I dont hope we will do all those things ? Nah I hope we go 16-0 .

I feel we made some really horrible decisions this offseason. Rather than get our Franchise QB some young talent to work and grow with we have saddled him with old men and put him in the position of having to get used to new skill players every single year. Keep in mind those players have to get used to us and our offense as well. Its stupid and unacceptable for a SB contender to do this.

Along with all that we also lost a player that tipped the field position game in our favor on special teams and also threw in a few TD's on offense. While he was not a good WR he was a threat and could be used to keep defenses off balance. So while I think we improved on Defense (DL specifically) thats only 1/3 of a team you cant dismiss that.

Why would the offense be better? Similar maybe, but right now we have basically the same o-line, same RBs, our WR 1b returned, we lost WR 1a, and WR 3.

And a QB who is entering his 3rd season and has shown progression throughout his entire career. He was a top 5 pick, he wasn't drafted to be Trent Dilfer.

I have no doubt that after we win a game we'll be champions in waiting and then we'll lose/struggle to someone who "THE PATS WOULD BLOW OUT!!!" and we'll be destined for failure, we'll have to sack Rex, sack Tanny, bench Sanchez etc. Then we win a game...Wash, rinse, repeat...

We wont win the division. We wont get home playoff games. We wont go to the SB.

Does that mean I dont hope we will do all those things ? Nah I hope we go 16-0 .

I feel we made some really horrible decisions this offseason. Rather than get our Franchise QB some young talent to work and grow with we have saddled him with old men and put him in the position of having to get used to new skill players every single year. Keep in mind those players have to get used to us and our offense as well. Its stupid and unacceptable for a SB contender to do this.

Along with all that we also lost a player that tipped the field position game in our favor on special teams and also threw in a few TD's on offense. While he was not a good WR he was a threat and could be used to keep defenses off balance. So while I think we improved on Defense (DL specifically) thats only 1/3 of a team you cant dismiss that.

Holmes, Keller and Tomlinson are back. That's not quite as bad as you make it sound. For whatever reason, Sanchez never really got into a groove with Cotchery (yes, there was the one incredible play, but come on) so I don't think Mason is going to be a 'downgrade' by much if at all. Smith was a non-factor in Sanchez' development. That leaves Edwards. I do think that's a concern, and have no idea if Plax will be able to create the same connection that BE seemed to for Sanchez, but now we're talking about one single player. Every team faces that. Hell, Manning and Brady turn delivery-men into star WRs every year it seems (Wes Welker...really? *grin*).

Like Slats said....this season is all about Sanchez. It's his time to rise up and lead this offense. It's not like he doesn't still have a great O-Line and some very capable receiving targets.

How can you say Holmes was 1b and Edwards was 1a when the two players put up virtually the same number of catches and TD's, but Santonio did it in 12 games while Braylon needed all 16?

The offense will be better if Sanchez takes a leap forward in year three, and would not've been better if they kept everyone but Sanchez failed to improve. I'd've loved for them to keep Byaylon, too, but they got a nice replacement for him in Plaxico. No excuses for Sanchez not to keep getting better with the talent surrounding him on offense.

How can you say Holmes was 1b and Edwards was 1a when the two players put up virtually the same number of catches and TD's, but Santonio did it in 12 games while Braylon needed all 16?

Whatever makes the team's moves look bad slats, it's the same thing every year.

Archived