Why is there so much negativity around here?

JetsFanFromQueens

I've read plenty of offseason complaining by the hands of our fan base, surrounding our football team, but I can't understand why?

We finally have a team that's considered to be an AFC powerhouse, but yet, I've seen fans crying over the loses of an often criticized Edwards, a physically unable to perform Cotchery, an overrated gimmick style of player in Brad Smith, an often picked on Drew Coleman as well as a career backup in Ihedigbo. But yet, these same fans also seem to forget that we've resigned Revis, Ferguson, Mangold, Holmes, Cromartie and Harris long term dating back to last offseason. That's remarkable.

All 6 of these guys were scheduled to become free agents this offseason. How quickly some of these fans have forgotten what an outstanding job Woody, Tannenbaum and Ryan have done for our franchise. Could you imagine losing arguably the greatest corner since Deion Sanders? What if we lost our franchise Left Tackle to the Patriots? How would our offense have recovered with the loss of Mangold, aka the best center around? What about losing out on our best MLB since Marvin Jones in Davis Harris? Etc, etc. Losing those guys would have been devastating. We've also resigned key role players such as Pool, Eric Smith, Wayne Hunter and even brought back Donald Strickland in replace of Drew Coleman. Strickland was also a player who played lights out for the Jets in 2009 (when healthy).

We've lost Braylon and replaced him with Burress.

We've lost Cotchery and replaced him with Mason.

We've lost Coleman and replaced him with Strickland.

Shaun Ellis is still a FA but we've revamped our defensive line with Wilkerson and Kenrick Ellis.

Lets not forget about the two WR's we drafted in Kerley and McKnight either. Rex called Kerley "special" and Sanchez called him "a baller".

I just don't understand all the negativity I've been reading.

I've read plenty of offseason complaining by the hands of our fan base, surrounding our football team, but I can't understand why?

We finally have a team that's considered to be an AFC powerhouse, but yet, I've seen fans crying over the loses of an often criticized Edwards, a physically unable to perform Cotchery, an overrated gimmick style of player in Brad Smith, an often picked on Drew Coleman as well as a career backup in Ihedigbo. But yet, these same fans also seem to forget that we've resigned Revis, Ferguson, Mangold, Holmes, Cromartie and Harris long term dating back to last offseason. That's remarkable.

All 6 of these guys were scheduled to become free agents this offseason. How quickly some of these fans have forgotten what an outstanding job Woody, Tannenbaum and Ryan have done for our franchise. Could you imagine losing arguably the greatest corner since Deion Sanders? What if we lost our franchise Left Tackle to the Patriots? How would our offense have recovered with the loss of Mangold, aka the best center around? What about losing out on our best MLB since Marvin Jones in Davis Harris? Etc, etc. Losing those guys would have been devastating. We've also resigned key role players such as Pool, Eric Smith, Wayne Hunter and even brought back Donald Strickland in replace of Drew Coleman. Strickland was also a player who played lights out for the Jets in 2009 (when healthy).

Shaun Ellis is still a FA but we've revamped our defensive line with Wilkerson and Kenrick Ellis.

Lets not forget about the two WR's we drafted in Kerley and McKnight either. Rex called Kerley "special" and Sanchez called him "a baller".

You make good points. Please stop. Thanks in advance, SLM.

I really think it's a product of what's going on in the world today-especially these United States. We watched all spring and summer as 4 sides battled out in greed. Republicans and democrats owners and players. I know all that crap pretty much did a good job in ruining a good part of my summer. In the meantime we're all struggling and not making as much money as we used to while everything keeps going up and the richest people in this country don't even notice or seem to care. One can't help but be cynical and get discouraged by the general state of the planet. Everybody's in a pissy mood.

Normally Im a pretty positive guy but I have to say how can you not feel a little bit worried going into the season this year?? Our schedule really isnt one to giggle over. and You really want to justify getting rid of proven players by replacing them with relics? As much as you want to say Plaxico and Mason yo those guys are riddled with question marks. The fact that you call Brad Smith overrated tells me you're just as delusional as the rest of us. Cotch, sure he was still hurt but I wouldnt have let him go. Our team is in no way a powerhouse. sh*t even after going to back to back AFC championship no really expects us to do anything. Besides that the moves our rival teams have made have been a lot better than ours. I feel we wasted so much time with the Nhamdi crap that we got stuck with signing the scraps. I dont agree with Plaxico until he shows up and consistently shows he is still a high level player. We aren't in rebuilding mode. We are in reloading mode. so he doesnt have a year to get acclimated and then come back strong. After sitting in a cell for two years he needs to start off strong.

In the end im sure no one is jumping off the roof but you can't expect us to not question the moves this year. People were supposed to be flocking to the Jets willing to play for any price and that hasnt happened. It seems that even with Rex in the end players say we are still the Jets and sign with other teams.

As much as you want to say Plaxico and Mason yo those guys are riddled with question marks. The fact that you call Brad Smith overrated tells me you're just as delusional as the rest of us. Cotch, sure he was still hurt but I wouldnt have let him go. Our team is in no way a powerhouse. sh*t even after going to back to back AFC championship no really expects us to do anything.

How much less of a question mark would Braylon and Cotchery be in comparison to Plaxico and Mason? Braylon's obviously unreliable off the field, and that makes it a very valid question as to whether he'll be able to stay on it. The very best deal he could land was a 1yr/$1M offer from the '9ers. Think about that.

Cotchery is coming off of back surgery, without the benefit of an offseason of professional rehab. Mason and Plax are certainly older than he is, but they're also healthier.

Brad Smith got the contract of a lifetime with the Bills. A WR who can't play WR, a KOR in a season where the rules are designed to see fewer kick off returns. The Jets have a full house of RB's than can more than make up for his 299 yards rushing. I loved the guy, and in a non-salary cap world, I'd've loved to keep him. But 4yr/$16M? Congratulations and good luck, Brad!

Besides that the moves our rival teams have made have been a lot better than ours. I feel we wasted so much time with the Nhamdi crap that we got stuck with signing the scraps. I dont agree with Plaxico until he shows up and consistently shows he is still a high level player. We aren't in rebuilding mode. We are in reloading mode. so he doesnt have a year to get acclimated and then come back strong. After sitting in a cell for two years he needs to start off strong.

Name them.

I thought the Nnamdi chase was stupid, and shared that opinion many times during it - so I agree there. I'd've preferred some improvements at the safety position maybe, or maybe a different (read: younger) WR. But what players specifically would you have targeted over the ones the Jets landed? Figure Holmes & Cro in the players landed category.

How much less of a question mark would Braylon and Cotchery be in comparison to Plaxico and Mason? Braylon's obviously unreliable off the field, and that makes it a very valid question as to whether he'll be able to stay on it. The very best deal he could land was a 1yr/$1M offer from the '9ers. Think about that.

Cotchery is coming off of back surgery, without the benefit of an offseason of professional rehab. Mason and Plax are certainly older than he is, but they're also healthier.

Brad Smith got the contract of a lifetime with the Bills. A WR who can't play WR, a KOR in a season where the rules are designed to see fewer kick off returns. The Jets have a full house of RB's than can more than make up for his 299 yards rushing. I loved the guy, and in a non-salary cap world, I'd've loved to keep him. But 4yr/$16M? Congratulations and good luck, Brad!

Name them.

I thought the Nnamdi chase was stupid, and shared that opinion many times during it - so I agree there. I'd've preferred some improvements at the safety position maybe, or maybe a different (read: younger) WR. But what players specifically would you have targeted over the ones the Jets landed? Figure Holmes & Cro in the players landed category.

agree on everything u said. some of these fans want to keep guys even though they are hurt cause they bought their jerseys lol

Name them.

+ 1,000,000,000

Name them.

Beat me to it. You know full well I agree on the Asomugha situation, but in the end it did little to no damage to this team once they missed out on him. Meanwhile, what the hell have the Jets rivals done that's so intimidating? The Bills biggest signing was Smith, the Dolphins have done next to nothing, and the Pats have had a Redskins-type offseason of bringing in guys who used to be good with Ochocinco and Haynesworth. But the Jets are apparently doomed because they cut an injured vet WR who asked to be released and didn't re-sign an old, declining DE to return as a backup.

Some guys like to feel as smart or smarter about football than the front office and coaching staff. I think everyone should have their own personal Jet Nation just to see how horrible they are handling their lives, would be quite an education and a lot of fun!

Well the front office hasn't exactly done a stellar job considering they haven't made the championship game since 1969 and have had some of the worst drafts in the history of the NFL so they can deal with fans being dicks.

Well the front office hasn't exactly done a stellar job considering they haven't made the championship game since 1969 and have had some of the worst drafts in the history of the NFL so they can deal with fans being dicks.

Co-sign. Given how bad some of those drafts were, it's hard to imagine the same guys still have jobs

It's not hard to understand. We gave Burress $3 million guaranteed, while Edwards got only $1 million guaranteed. Plus we let Shaun Ellis walk out the door to our biggest rivals. Cotchery is gone, replaced by an ancient fossil.

Apparently it it's pretty hard to understand.

Cotchery didn't want to be here.

The jets didn't particularly want ellis back

And nobody in the nfl really wanted edwards (including baltimore, a team that currently has only one real wr)

But please, go back to complaining about the front office that has signed revis, ferguson, mangold, cromartie, harris and holmes to long term deals in the past two years.

I don't even know where to start...

Our schedule really isnt one to giggle over.

It's no harder than last season's schedule. Last year we played teams such as the Ravens, Vikings, Packers and Steelers during the regular season. This year we get the Ravens, Chargers, Chiefs, Giants and Eagles. Outside of the Patriots, those are the only 5 teams that finished with a winning record last season. What "tough schedule" are you looking at? We play the Cowboys (6-10), Jaguars (8-8), Raiders (8-8), Dolphins 7-9 (2x), Bills 4-12 (2x), Broncos (4-12) and Redskins (6-10). We have 2 games against .500 teams (Jaguars and Raiders) and 7 games against below .500 teams (Cowboys, Dolphins, Dolphins, Bills, Bills, Broncos and Redskins). 4 of those games are against teams that finished dead last amongst their respected division last year (Bills 2x, Broncos and Redskins). You think our schedule is tough? Just look at the Patriots. While we get the Jaguars and Ravens... They face the Steelers and Colts. Big difference in strength of schedule.

and You really want to justify getting rid of proven players by replacing them with relics? As much as you want to say Plaxico and Mason yo those guys are riddled with question marks.
Dating back to last offseason, getting Ferguson (Franchise LT), Mangold (All-Pro Center), Revis (All-World CB), Holmes (Former Super Bowl MVP), David Harris (All-Pro MLB) and Antonio Cromartie (Pro-Bowl corner) locked up long team hasn't been an outstanding job by the hands of our front office? None of this has been 'good enough' for you? None of those guys are proven? Would you rather have lost those blue-chip talents instead? You must be a love you when you're up, kick you when you're down type of fan. Was Drew Coleman proven? No. What about James Ihedigbo? Other than special teams, no. Mike Westhoff is what makes our special teams unit click, not "Ihedigbo". Were you talking about Trevor Pryce, Kellen Clemens, Vernon Gholston, Ben Hartsock, Kevin O'Connell or Marlon Davis as our "proven players" that we let go? Were those the "proven" loses your talking about? If not, you must be talking about Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery and Shaun Ellis. Wanna talk about "Proven"? Cotchery and Edwards have only combine for 684 receptions, 9,656 receiving yards, 470 first downs and 57 career TD's. Mason and Burress combine for 1,429 receptions, 19,736 receiving yards, 997 first downs and 121 career TD's. Let's not talk about proven to a fan who reads right through your criticism. I hope you weren't talking about our beloved Shaun Ellis, because the man has been on a steady decline for 3 years, he's now 34 years old. We just revamped our defensive line with Wilkerson and K.Ellis. There isn't a defensive coach in the game today, that evaluates D-Line talent as thoroughly as Rex Ryan.

The fact that you call Brad Smith overrated tells me you're just as delusional as the rest of us.
The value of Brad Smith (the kick returner) went down the drain as soon as the NFL changed the rule books. Kickoffs have been moved 5 yards closer to the 35 yard line, all but eliminating the kick return from the game. Touchbacks will be moved to the 25 yard line. I'm not a fan of the change, but the value of Brad Smith went out the window right there. Lets not even talk about what Brad Smith has done as a kick returner, because it's irrelevant from here on out. Morton, Moss, Miller, Leon, Brad, Cromartie etc etc. Mike Westhoff is the steady glue that keeps the unit intact. What has Brad Smith done as a WR over the past two years? Nothing. 11 catches, 107 yards and zero TD's? He failed us as a WR. Have you ever seen Jeremy Kerley make plays for TCU as a WR? Rex Ryan considered Kerley to be "special" the other day. Mark Sanchez called him "a baller". Brad Smith was replaced by Kerley the moment we drafted Kerley (and rightfully so). What did Brad Smith do as a running back last year? 38 rushing attempts, 299 yards and 1 TD. He'll never have the chance to make plays as a kick returner from here on out, he's always been a pretty bad route running WR and he'll never make it at QB... You expected the Jets to give Brad Smith a 4 year deal worth 15 million dollars? 3.75M per for 299 rushing yards and 1 TD? Maybe you're the delusional one because he's NOT worth that type of money. You'll see in Buffalo, where he struggles like never before due to an offensive line that's not called the New York Jets. Our offensive line made Brad Smith, he's been overrated.

Cotch, sure he was still hurt but I wouldnt have let him go.
First and foremost, Cotchery is more than "just hurt", he's physically unable to perform. Why keep a player in the locker room, who can't even perform? Jerricho was obviously scared of the WR competition he was facing here with the Jets and wanted out. Lets not forget, he's the one who wanted off the roster. It's as simple as that. Who's to say Cotchery wouldn't have became a locker room cancer after the Jets held him dead to rights with no playing time? You know how quickly WR's can turn into headaches when unhappy. I guess you haven't been reading any training camp reports as of late. While Cotchery is 29-30 years of age, physically unable to perform and coming off a serious back surgery due to a herniated disk...We just drafted two explosive rookies in Kerley and McKnight (blue chip prospects), whom are both turning heads at practice, going full speed and making game changing plays (while building chemistry with both Sanchez and Shotty Jr at the same time). Before you knock their rookie status, go back and check out what Gronk and Hernandez did for Brady and that Patriots offense as rookie TE's last season. S.McKnight is a 7th round sleeper but Kerley is something special in the making.

Our team is in no way a powerhouse.
Franchise QB heading into his 3rd year, top 5 rushing attack during consecutive seasons, one of the best offensive lines in all of football led by an All-Pro Center and Franchise LT, plenty of options for Sanchez to work with in Holmes, Burress, Mason, Keller, Kerley, Tomlinson, Joe McKnight, Scotty McKnight etc etc, one of the best CB duo's around with Revis and Cromartie shutting down the outside, an up and coming Kyle Wilson at nickel, the best 1-2 tandem at IMLB with Harris and Scott leading the way, a very productive pass rusher in Calvin Pace, a revamped defensive front and most importantly? One of, if not the best defense in all of football led of Rex Ryan himself. Did I forget to mention that both Shonn Greene and Mark Sanchez are heading into their 3rd year? Yeah, you're right, the Jets aren't a powerhouse... All because we lost Edwards, Cotchery and S.Ellis.

sh*t even after going to back to back AFC championship no really expects us to do anything.
Just because you don't expect the Jets to do anything, doesn't mean that the rest of the league doesn't consider the Steelers, Ravens, Jets, Patriots, Colts and Chargers/Chiefs as the class of the AFC. Becasue we are. We're considered to be serious contenders this year. Too much ESPN or Mike Francesa has never been healthy for Jet fans such as yourself.

I feel we wasted so much time with the Nhamdi crap that we got stuck with signing the scraps.

If you consider Santonio Holmes, Antonio Cromartie, David Harris, Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason as being "scraps"... you'll never be happy with an offseason, no matter how much it helps the team, but that's a personal problem. We also resigned guys like Eric Smith, Brodney Pool, Donald Strickland and Wayne Hunter, you know... Players you would have been criticizing our front office if failed to resign. Lets not forget the importance of Jim Leonhard either, he's back, 100% healthy and ready to go. Don't sleep on our draft class either, Wilkerson, K.Ellis and Kerley could turn out to become promising young stars. Just look at what Tannenbaum has done during the draft, by far the most efficient talent evaluator around. I'm anxious to see our draft class take the field. Reports have it that Joe McKnight from last years draft class has been turning headsand in tremendous physical shape, same goes for Kyle Wilson who some say has been playing much more confident when compared to last years offseason as a rookie.

I agree with what you say. The bright side for most jets fans always ends up being dark. But from the last 2 years we have been on the upside. And now are considered one of the top 4 teams in the NFL. That's something special. Anyway keep the faith brother....

Apparently it it's pretty hard to understand.

Cotchery didn't want to be here.

The jets didn't particularly want ellis back

And nobody in the nfl really wanted edwards (including baltimore, a team that currently has only one real wr)

But please, go back to complaining about the front office that has signed revis, ferguson, mangold, cromartie, harris and holmes to long term deals in the past two years.

That is just a complete and utter defeatist mentality...when have any of those players you mentioned helped win the NY Jets a Football game??? We need probowl players at everything single position on this team and if we dont win the offseason SB, then wtf are we here for?

FO = Fail - there is no talent on this team. None. Zero. Zilch.

Archived