Jets will attempt to trade Sanchez this offseason - Mehta

Sperm Edwards

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Mark Sanchez couldn't do well here then surely no one could.

Dont be retarded. Mark Sanchez has played terrible but that does not excuse this teams total ignorance of the offense. Our WR's are practice squad or maybe even worse and would have been a major issue no matter who was at QB. Funny Gruden chose to show over and over on Monday night how the Jets WR's simply could not get open, was that his application to coach the Jets ? As more and more analysts cover the Jets situation you see more and more of them pointing to talent and its obvious.

Mark Sanchez has become a terrible decision maker, no doubt, but whats his other option when most of the time his receivers can't get open ? That is still no excuse for multiple turnovers each game. He almost never throws the ball away and thats just not going to win in this league.

NY Jets ready to get rid of Mark Sanchez, will explore trade market for former first round pick

The Jets’ need to replace Sanchez with a veteran signal caller could lead them to another player who has fallen on hard times recently. The News has learned that Michael Vick, who is expected to be released by the Eagles shortly after the season, would be amenable to coming to the Jets if Sanchez is out of the equation.

Comments (1)

BY MANISH MEHTA/ NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 19, 2012, 8:37 PM

Less than four years after the Jets made a franchise-changing decision to move up in the draft for Mark Sanchez, they will attempt to trade the struggling quarterback after the season.

One day after Rex Ryan benched Sanchez for third-stringer Greg McElroy for Sunday’s game against the Chargers, the Daily News has learned that the Jets will explore trading the player that they once believed would be their franchise quarterback.

It’s a stunning reality for a team that enjoyed the success of back-to-back AFC Championship Game appearances in Sanchez’s first two seasons. The Jets’ decision to look for trading partners doesn’t eliminate the possibility that he could be back in 2013 and still compete for the starting job.

In order for the Jets to pull off a deal, they would almost certainly have to absorb the bulk of Sanchez’s guaranteed $8.25 million base salary for 2013. The likely out-of-pocket ceiling for potential suitors would be $3 million.

The Jets’ need to replace Sanchez with a veteran signal caller could lead them to another player who has fallen on hard times recently.

The News has learned that Michael Vick, who is expected to be released by the Eagles shortly after the season, would be amenable to coming to the Jets if Sanchez is out of the equation.

“Bring it on,” one Jets source said about signing Vick if he becomes available. “He was hit too many times (behind a subpar offensive line) the last two years.”

Rex Ryan may be the X-Factor to land Vick, according to sources. Ryan has always had an affinity for Vick, who could potentially help save the coach from getting his walking papers after the 2013 season.

“(Ryan) loves him,” a team official said.

The Jets’ solid offensive line and defense also make them an attractive option for Vick, who lost his starting job after suffering a concussion this season.

No matter which quarterback the Jets bring in to either replace or compete with Sanchez (if he’s not traded), Ryan will place special emphasis on ball security. Sanchez has a league-high 50 turnovers in the last 30 games.

“Our big thing is turning the football over,” Ryan said on Wednesday. “If you can point at one thing that we have to do better as a football team, and Mark has to do as a quarterback, that’s the thing I would look at: We have to protect the football. File that in the ‘No Kidding’ deal, but that’s the truth.”

Sanchez’s career arc has been unusual, to say the least. Expectations sky-rocketed after he won four road playoff games over his first two seasons. He had a 3:1 touchdown-to-interception ratio in six playoff games, tantalizing the franchise for what could lie ahead.

“Mark’s won games in this league. It’s not like he hasn’t,” Ryan said. “It’s hard to win playoff games in this league, and he’s got four of them all on the road. Wins against Peyton Manning on the road. Wins against Tom Brady. It’s not like he doesn’t have the tools to do it. That’s why we did take him with the fifth overall pick.”

Ryan praised Sanchez for having “the athleticism to be a tremendous quarterback,” but his penchant for giving up the ball was the breaking point for the coach. Sanchez revealed on Wednesday that Ryan relayed the news of his benching in the post-game locker room after his five-turnover performance in a 14-10 loss to the Titans on Monday.

“It’s not like a debate,” Sanchez said. “He’s the head man and he makes the decisions.”

Sanchez took scout-team reps in practice for the first time in his career Wednesday as McElroy prepared for his first career start. He didn’t speculate about his future with the team or address whether he felt hampered by lack of offensive weapons this season.

“I’m not going to make excuses,” Sanchez said. “At the end of the day, no matter what kind of situation that you’re in, the quarterback has the ball and it’s my job to make good decisions with the football regardless of personnel situation. I’m not going to go there. Is every interception the quarterback’s fault? Of course not. But they’re attributed to the quarterback. It goes as my stat. You live with that. You own up to your side of the mistakes and you move on.”

It was probably a surreal day for Sanchez, but he reiterated that his primary focus was to help McElroy prepare for his big moment.

“It’s different than what I expected in August,” Sanchez said. “But it’ll somehow work out. Make me better. Make me stronger.”

Even if it is not with the Jets.

Twitter.com/MMehtanydn

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...3#ixzz2FYQSjswh

Vick?....No way.....huge mistake

Dont be retarded. Mark Sanchez has played terrible but that does not excuse this teams total ignorance of the offense. Our WR's are practice squad or maybe even worse and would have been a major issue no matter who was at QB. Funny Gruden chose to show over and over on Monday night how the Jets WR's simply could not get open, was that his application to coach the Jets ? As more and more analysts cover the Jets situation you see more and more of them pointing to talent and its obvious.

Mark Sanchez has become a terrible decision maker, no doubt, but whats his other option when most of the time his receivers can't get open ? That is still no excuse for multiple turnovers each game. He almost never throws the ball away and thats just not going to win in this league.

I've lost count of how many times some brain-damaged sportscaster - usually Simms or some other former QB who will only rarely say anything bad about any QB on any team, or like Gruden in your example - says "there was nowhere for Mark to throw the ball" only to have that blatantly refuted by the very overhead picture on the screen. They make the big yellow circle around a receiver stopped and facing Sanchez, with a DB 5 yards behind him, and somehow deduce that the receiver is covered. These receivers are covered because Sanchez needs so much separation to overcome his normalcy of being 3-4 yards off-target.

These receivers are pretty bad, but he flat-out misses guys standing still all by themselves. Calvin Johnson and AJ Green and Larry Fitzgerald can't fix that. All they can do is bail him out of his unfixable horribleness more often. And that doesn't even get into the whole moping baby thing.

Bad QB and an even worse leader who seems to command little respect of his team. A team that's gritted their teeth (while thinking of what might be with Tebow or Brunell) as they say they have confidence in Mark and he's their guy.

They need to stash Sanchez as the #3 QB, pay him his $8 mil and allow a stopgap-type (Matt Hasselback?) to run the team for a year. That's the only route. Tannenbaum can't be trusted to do this, because he's a cockroach.

The only barely plausible trades involve taking on someone else's sh*tty QB with big ass contract-Carson Palmer or Matt Flynn. NOBODY is going to take Sanchez to actually play, only to get some cap room.The jets' 2013 cap si ruined no matter what; keep El sh*tbox around to hold a clipboard, because a trade probably only makes the cap even worse assuming the Jets will eat a bnch of Sanchez' number to make a trade. And when you consider that the other teams involved know what they have if overpaid is still better than Sanchez, very unlikely the Jets can find a trade partner.Sanchez sucks so bad his true trade value is between nil and nonexistent.

The only barely plausible trades involve taking on someone else's sh*tty QB with big ass contract-Carson Palmer or Matt Flynn. NOBODY is going to take Sanchez to actually play, only to get some cap room.The jets' 2013 cap si ruined no matter what; keep El sh*tbox around to hold a clipboard, because a trade probably only makes the cap even worse assuming the Jets will eat a bnch of Sanchez' number to make a trade. And when you consider that the other teams involved know what they have if overpaid is still better than Sanchez, very unlikely the Jets can find a trade partner.Sanchez sucks so bad his true trade value is between nil and nonexistent.

Sort of. But I think what you're searching for is that they need a trade partner with a team who is contractually locked into a player but, for team politics reasons, wants that player out of their locker room as much as the Jets want Sanchez out of ours. I really can't think of one offhand.

But if it's a player trade it doesn't have to be QB for Sanchez.

The throws he makes has nothing to do with his receivers being open. How many times do you have to see him miss a wide open WR (sometimes 5 yards away) for you to realize that it doesnt matter who you're throwing to if you cant hit them when they're open and you throw mind boggling stupid picks? The kid is horrible, doesnt matter who's out there.

I thought about you last night, Casserly was giving a little analysis of the Jets on the NFLN. You'd have been disappointed Basically said, that the Jets shouldnt blow it up but instead find a veteran QB because Sanchez is a middle of the road QB at best who cant handle playing in NY. He also said, he'd retain Rex Ryan because he's thinks he a great head coach. Figured your head would explode if you heard your favorite ex-GM say all that. He did make one great point, too many hands are in the cookie jar, they need to have one person making the final decisions for the team. And that Tanny needs to hire a right hand man for player talent evaluations to be his final say on things.

If the "plan" is seriously to take a $17 million dollar hit on Sanchez only to replace him with a punch-drunk Michael Vick, then this will officially become the worst iteration of the New York Jets to ever exist.

Tannenbaum cannot be allowed to see this through.

Tanny is 100% gone. 100%. Woody will make someone pay for this and Tanny most obvious. tanny is Woodys scalp. I assume Woody will tell Rex to get a scalp (IF new GM keeps Rex). Rex's scalp will be Sporano.

Sort of. But I think what you're searching for is that they need a trade partner with a team who is contractually locked into a player but, for team politics reasons, wants that player out of their locker room as much as the Jets want Sanchez out of ours. I really can't think of one offhand.

Sanchez contract is so bad that he is almost impossible to trade. At most he would be a 1-year player on a new team because of his '14 + '15 salaries. So if the Jets paid 1/2 his 2013 salary what would another team give up....a 5th or 6th rd pick? Maybe.

The Jets best option is to sit Mark down and let him know that he has 2 choices:

1 - walk away a FA with the chance to find a new team with a chance to start (Ariz, Oak, KC)

2 - get his $8.5M to run the scout team as the #3 QB with zero chance to make the gameday roster.

this is where the negotiations start and somewhere in the middle of those 2 extremes is a viable solution.

Yes, It's the Dog thing. Vick is a thug turd. If he is the QB of the Jets, I will root for him to get maimed every play. POS.

He did his time, huh? He should have been hung like he hung the dogs he had. Nothing worse than an a$$hole that would hurt and kill a defenseless animal to priove his manhood in front of other dirtbag a$$holes. Blood lusting thug turd. Nothing more.

Wow

Sanchez contract is so bad that he is almost impossible to trade. At most he would be a 1-year player on a new team because of his '14 + '15 salaries. So if the Jets paid 1/2 his 2013 salary what would another team give up....a 5th or 6th rd pick? Maybe.

The Jets best option is to sit Mark down and let him know that he has 2 choices:

1 - walk away a FA with the chance to find a new team with a chance to start (Ariz, Oak, KC)

2 - get his $8.5M to run the scout team as the #3 QB with zero chance to make the gameday roster.

this is where the negotiations start and somewhere in the middle of those 2 extremes is a viable solution.

If someone was willing to eat $3M of his 2013 salary the Jets should accept any compensation. Like a conditional 7th round pick that only kicks in if Sanchez throws over 75 touchdowns. In September.

I thought about you last night, Casserly was giving a little analysis of the Jets on the NFLN. You'd have been disappointed Basically said, that the Jets shouldnt blow it up but instead find a veteran QB because Sanchez is a middle of the road QB at best who cant handle playing in NY. He also said, he'd retain Rex Ryan because he's thinks he a great head coach.

Do you think Casserly was being honest or was he lobbying for the GM job? Woody owes Rex a lot of $$ over the next 2 years and doesn't want to hear that he needs to "blow it up". The fact that Cassery is saying the Jets can win with Rex basically means that "he" can win with Rex.

I always liked Rex but this year is really hard to stomach. Rex is doing his best to find his next job as a DC with his total disregard for the offense and his insistence that G&P works in today's NFL.

Do you think Casserly was being honest or was he lobbying for the GM job? Woody owes Rex a lot of $$ over the next 2 years and doesn't want to hear that he needs to "blow it up". The fact that Cassery is saying the Jets can win with Rex basically means that "he" can win with Rex.

I always liked Rex but this year is really hard to stomach. Rex is doing his best to find his next job as a DC with his total disregard for the offense and his insistence that G&P works in today's NFL.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Sounded like Casserly's application.

The throws he makes has nothing to do with his receivers being open. How many times do you have to see him miss a wide open WR (sometimes 5 yards away) for you to realize that it doesnt matter who you're throwing to if you cant hit them when they're open and you throw mind boggling stupid picks? The kid is horrible, doesnt matter who's out there.

I thought about you last night, Casserly was giving a little analysis of the Jets on the NFLN. You'd have been disappointed Basically said, that the Jets shouldnt blow it up but instead find a veteran QB because Sanchez is a middle of the road QB at best who cant handle playing in NY. He also said, he'd retain Rex Ryan because he's thinks he a great head coach. Figured your head would explode if you heard your favorite ex-GM say all that. He did make on great point, too many hands are in the cookie jar, they need to have one person making the final decisions for the team. And that Tanny needs to hire a right hand man for player talent evaluations to be his final say on things.

JIF I agree wth Casserly, I do think Sanchez is a middle of the road QB at best. I never ever said Sanchez would be great or one of the best QB's in the NFL, but if surrounded with good solid talent, he could perform at at a level good enough to win since we already had a good defense and Sanchez showed to elevate his game in the playoffs the first 2 years. I thought what we had was a clutch QB who would show up in the big games. Thats not saying much for Sanchez of course but it is what it is and it was based on solid playoff performances.

Casserly may not want to "blow it up" but I can guarantee you he knows the Jets skill payers are just as big if not more of a joke than Sanchez. Not only do we have a bad QB but our skill players are horrible and need to be replaced just as much, thats not a good mix by any standards. Getting a new QB in here without getting him something to work with can be just as much a cluster **** as we are in now. Why ? Because a middle of the road QB (which is what we will probably wind up with) will fair just as bad with no playmakers.

Im looking forward to seeing McElroy play and how he handles a pretty subpar offense. Shold be fun the last 2 games to get a look at him.

if that dog murdering piece of sh*t is on the jets i will not root for them

Truth is if Woody does this we can be 100% sure he is doing nothing more than creating headlines to keep his sh*tty team relevent with no intention of building a winning team. We should all stop rooting by then.

Not sure really. I just know Smash loves Sanchez and hates Rex and many people around here including Smash revere Casserly.

He's an analyst. He breaks down situations for every team. Not sure you can look into as lobbying or just giving his opinion. With all the sh*t spewing around recently, its seems fairly common that the only people who think Rex should be fired are Jets fans. I just find it interesting. Some one made a great point that I was listening to the other day, the Jets are going to suck next season, no matter what. The only way they are going to be competitive is with defense, so why fire Rex?

JIF I agree wth Casserly, I do think Sanchez is a middle of the road QB at best. I never ever said Sanchez would be great or one of the best QB's in the NFL, but if surrounded with good solid talent, he could perform at at a level good enough to win since we already had a good defense and Sanchez showed to elevate his game in the playoffs the first 2 years. I thought what we had was a clutch QB who would show up in the big games. Thats not saying much for Sanchez of course but it is what it is and it was based on solid playoff performances.

Casserly may not want to "blow it up" but I can guarantee you he knows the Jets skill payers are just as big if not more of a joke than Sanchez. Not only do we have a bad QB but our skill players are horrible and need to be replaced just as much, thats not a good mix by any standards. Getting a new QB in here without getting him something to work with can be just as much a cluster **** as we are in now. Why ? Because a middle of the road QB (which is what we will probably wind up with) will fair just as bad with no playmakers.

Im looking forward to seeing McElroy play and how he handles a pretty subpar offense. Shold be fun the last 2 games to get a look at him.

I was more so trying to get your thoughts on him wanting to retain Rex but yeah, Sanchez sucks and so will the next vet QB, doesnt take a genius to predict that.. The difference is, nobody is going to turn the ball over the way the ****er does.

Truth is if Woody does this we can be 100% sure he is doing nothing more than creating headlines to keep his sh*tty team relevent with no intention of building a winning team. We should all stop rooting by then.

Ha. We are already 100% sure of this. Tebow, anyone?

Giants win the SB. The Jets bring in the only NFL QB who can't pass (other than Asschez). All off season, the Jets are on the back page and plastered on ESPN. Mission accomplished.

But he was brought in for "football reasons". Yeah, right.

Not sure really. I just know Smash loves Sanchez and hates Rex and many people around here including Smash revere Casserly.

He's an analyst. He breaks down situations for every team. Not sure you can look into as lobbying or just giving his opinion. With all the sh*t spewing around recently, its seems fairly common that the only people who think Rex should be fired are Jets fans. I just find it interesting. Some one made a great point that I was listening to the other day, the Jets are going to suck next season, no matter what. The only way they are going to be competitive is with defense, so why fire Rex?

I was more so trying to get your thoughts on him wanting to retain Rex but yeah, Sanchez sucks and so will the next vet QB, doesnt take a genius to predict that.. The difference is, nobody is going to turn the ball over the way the ****er does.

My thoughts on Rex are simple I think the guy is a loudmouth and does not put as much work into his team as other coaches do, thats just the vibe I get from him I could be wrong. I think he does not have a good pulse on what takes place in his own lockerroom and those are bare minimum requirements for a successful coach. Neither him or Tanny did anything to improve this team over 4 year span and they actully ignored glaring issues in year 2 ,3 and 4. So Im not sure how they retain their positions after that but I agree with what LionelRichie said that he may be lobbying for the GM spot and honestly I hope he is cuse that will get Rex the **** out of Personel decisions and in the same instance give Rex one more year to right the ship in what very well may amount to a small rebuild year.

And BTW JIF I dont love Sanchez, never have, your interpretaion is based on me sticking up for Sanchez based on poor handling and poor talent of course a good portion is to be blamed on Sanchez but certainly not all of it.

My thoughts on Rex are simple I think the guy is a loudmouth and does not put as muh work into his team as other coaches do. I thnk he does not have a good pulse on what takes place in his own lockerroom and those are bare minimum requirements for a successful coach. Neither him or Tanny did anything to improve this team over 4 year span and they actully ignored glaring issues in year 2 ,3 and 4. So Im not sure how they retain their positions after that but I agree with what LionelRichie said that he may be lobbying for the GM spot and honestly I hope he is cuse that will get Rex the **** out of Personel decisions and in the same instance give Rex one more year to right the ship in what very well may amount to a small rebuild year.

So Rex doesnt do the bare minimum a HC should do, but if Casserly was hired and retained Rex, you'd be ok with it giving Rex a chance to right the ship?

Ha. We are already 100% sure of this. Tebow, anyone?

Giants win the SB. The Jets bring in the only NFL QB who can't pass (other than Asschez). All off season, the Jets are on the back page and plastered on ESPN. Mission accomplished.

But he was brought in for "football reasons". Yeah, right.

I know but I've been at this since '71 so I'm trying to kid myself a little here. Thanks for ruining it. LOL

I am not a Vick fan at all, but he seems to fit the skillset that you want with this team. Force him to run a conservative offense for 75% of the time and then turn him loose to go nuts if you are down. Keep the "madman factor." The defense will never know what to expect. I haven't watched him much this year, but he seems infinitely more dangerous than Tebow and more difficult to game plan around. Can he do it successfully? Probably not, but I can see why a guy like Rex would like the idea. At his peak, no matter how well you set your D you couldn't count on stopping him.

Keep in mind that anything less than 4 int's is an improvement

No. Anything less than 4 int's and a fumble is an improvement.

If someone was willing to eat $3M of his 2013 salary the Jets should accept any compensation. Like a conditional 7th round pick that only kicks in if Sanchez throws over 75 touchdowns. In September.

Doesn't trading him move up some bonuses and make his actual hit more than $8.5? I don't want Tannenbaum putting more money on the books for 2014 and beyond, but I can't see taking money away.

Lost in all this lunacy is that, media circus stuff aside, Tebow wouldn't be a half-bad idea to have as the #2 QB if Vick is the starter and the offense is tailored around his skill set.

That said, I will never root for Michael Vick. I will never attend a Jets game if Vick is the QB. I will root for him to get seriously injured every play of every game. I hope someone dips his left hand in au jus and sticks those dripping fingers into the cage of one of the still-living fighting dogs he maimed and joyfully tortured.

Lost in all this lunacy is that, media circus stuff aside, Tebow wouldn't be a half-bad idea to have as the #2 QB if Vick is the starter and the offense is tailored around his skill set.

That said, I will never root for Michael Vick. I will never attend a Jets game if Vick is the QB. I will root for him to get seriously injured every play of every game. I hope someone dips his left hand in au jus and sticks those dripping fingers into the cage of one of the still-living fighting dogs he maimed and joyfully tortured.

I am with you 100%

Archived