Is it time to trade for Matt Flynn?

T0mShane

I was chatting with one of my esteemed colleagues and we came to the conclusion that we're not getting the Next Great QB unless lightning strikes some as-yet-obvious draft pick that Idzik happens to stumble upon. That said, the routes to acquiring a legit option at QB look to be 1. Few and 2. Huge gambles.

So, what to do?

1. We can hope a Ryan Nassib or Matt Barkley, drafted in the second (or the other first we get in the inevitable Revis deal) come in and develop for us, quickly.

2. We can hope that Teddy Bridgewater is great and we suck enough to draft him next year.

3. We draft Geno Smith at #9 this year and hope he's the goods.

4. Try and sign Jay Cutler as a FA next offseason.

5. Trade for Matt Flynn this year.

Of those options, the only one I'd have a shred of confidence in in the Flynn option. Not that I believe Flynn is great, but because he's probably better than Nassib and/or Barkley will be. Geno Smith might be the next great QB, but Idzik can't gamble on it with his first-ever pick. And getting Cutler would mean engaging in a bidding war for a guy who is an extreeeeeeme a$$hole (assuming Chicago lets him get to free agency in the first place). As for Bridgewater, there are way too many variables between then and now, and Jets Luck dictates that we'll beat the Bills on the last day of the season (to get to 4 wins) and lose out on the #1 and #2 overall pick.

Bottom line, I don't want to go into next year with Sanchez, Brady Quinn, and David Garrard as my QB options. It'd be the most depressing season since the Brister Era. IMO, give Seattle a 2013 second, with a conditional 2014 third, and let's roll.

Which is every player that isn't best at their position in the NFL.  Those guys we hate because they expect to get paid. 

Huh, what are you talking about? Are you saying that every player who isn't the best at their position is as bad as their position as Sanchez is at QB?

If Sanchez held a press conference or put out a statement to the fans about how he is working hard and trying to disprove the critics, working hard on improving as he knows he has failed the team and the franchise. How he knows his job is on the line and he will do anything he can to hold off all competition and be great, he might gain a little sympathy from the fanbase.

The QB I really wanted this offseason was Flynn.  My logic was that Idzik knows him.  If he was willing to let Flynn take over his new franchise odds are he is worth the shot.

The reverse to that logic is also true.  Idzik knows him, if he doesn’t want him, he must suck.

It seems that the Jets are going to do a deal with Garrard.  If they do, I really doubt they are going to bring in 2 vets. 

With that said, I don’t think Garrard is a bad signing.  IF, and it’s a big if, Garrard can stay healthy, and isn’t to rusty, He will beat out Sanchez in a heart beat unless Sanchez dramatically  improves over last year.

Think Garrard fits MM’s O very well.  Question is can he still play and stay on the field?

If he can.  Big upgrade

If Sanchez is the starter week one it's going to be UGLY in that stadium. This fanbase despises him.

That isn't necessarily true.

If the Jets open up on the road, the week one crowd will be very excited to see Sanchez as the Jets starting QB.

That isn't necessarily true.

If the Jets open up on the road, the week one crowd will be very excited to see Sanchez as the Jets starting QB.

If they go on the road and win the first game and he plays decently they will cut him some slack. The chances of that happening aren't good though. But the bottom line is that if the Jets don't have a QB in camp who is good enough to beat out Sanchez the offseason will have been a failure.

What would it take compensation wise to trade for Flynn?  What are the cap ramifications?

Right now I'm quessing a 5th.  There really isn't a place for him on the Hawks.

I believe his salary is 5 million this year.  A lot for a back up, but very cheap for a starter.  If he doesn't work out his salary is structured so that the Jets could walk away next year with no dead money.

I think there is a 2 million roster bonus.  That kind of thing could be worked out with the Hawks.  Thing is if Idzik wants Garrard over him, guy probably doesn't have much as a long term solution.

Agreed. Only other possible good outcome is you sign Matt Moore and he has a career improvement like Gannon, Plunkett, Warner, Vinnie.

Idzik has to know from being in Seattle if he wants Flynn, and probably whether the Seahwaks would deal his contract for the worse one of Pick 6.

Either way the status quo is unacceptable, the draft options few.

Bottom line, I don't want to go into next year with Sanchez, Brady Quinn, and David Garrard as my QB options. It'd be the most depressing season since the Brister Era. IMO, give Seattle a 2013 second, with a conditional 2014 third, and let's roll.

I could see Seattle dangling him as part of a deal for Revis.

I don't know why you would want this, though. Decent QB play potentially saves Rex's job.

Right now I'm quessing a 5th.  There really isn't a place for him on the Hawks.

I believe his salary is 5 million this year.  A lot for a back up, but very cheap for a starter.  If he doesn't work out his salary is structured so that the Jets could walk away next year with no dead money.

I think there is a 2 million roster bonus.  That kind of thing could be worked out with the Hawks.  Thing is if Idzik wants Garrard over him, guy probably doesn't have much as a long term solution.

Why do you think Idzik prefers Garrard?  Garrard is basically a no cost option.  Potentially temporary solution that doesn't cost picks and will come at minimal financial investment.  I'm not sure about the current cap rules, but you used to be able to pay old guys extra, but they'd only count the vet min.  Flynn will cost something - even if it's just his salary.  I'm glad that Idzik isn't putting all his eggs in one basket trying to grab a QB. 

Why do you think Idzik prefers Garrard?  Garrard is basically a no cost option.  Potentially temporary solution that doesn't cost picks and will come at minimal financial investment.  I'm not sure about the current cap rules, but you used to be able to pay old guys extra, but they'd only count the vet min.  Flynn will cost something - even if it's just his salary.  I'm glad that Idzik isn't putting all his eggs in one basket trying to grab a QB. 

Agreed.

I'm okay with Garrard and a miracle.

Joking aside, Garrard looked pretty good in Miami on Hard Knocks before he hurt himself. He's a "safe" option for us.

Actually, all things considered, I’m pretty happy if the Jets sign Garrard.  I had hoped for Flynn, because he is young, and if he worked, the QB search would be over.

Your right.  Garrard  would have been the starter in Miami last year if he hadn’t been hurt.  Over Moore, and Tannerhill.

According to what I have read the Jets worked him out for a full day to see if his knee and back were up to snuff.  Seems like they were.  If I’m not mistaken he went to the Pro Bowl as an alternate in 2010.   I think the Jets could actually win with him as QB if he is healthy.

Thing is, he hasn’t played in 2 years, and he’s not the long term answer 

Actually, all things considered, I’m pretty happy if the Jets sign Garrard.  I had hoped for Flynn, because he is young, and if he worked, the QB search would be over.

Your right.  Garrard  would have been the starter in Miami last year if he hadn’t been hurt.  Over Moore, and Tannerhill.

According to what I have read the Jets worked him out for a full day to see if his knee and back were up to snuff.  Seems like they were.  If I’m not mistaken he went to the Pro Bowl as an alternate in 2010.   I think the Jets could actually win with him as QB if he is healthy.

Thing is, he hasn’t played in 2 years, and he’s not the long term answer 

While his health is a concern, you have to look at the upside... he was a winning QB for multiple years in the NFL, protected the ball very well, had no issues moving an offense, and would provide some respectable veteran leadership which this locker room severely lacks, and has lacked since T-Rich, Cotchery and those dudes all moved on.

For what Garrard will cost, I think it's a no-brainer to bring him in here. We've got a bare cupboard.

While his health is a concern, you have to look at the upside... he was a winning QB for multiple years in the NFL, protected the ball very well, had no issues moving an offense, and would provide some respectable veteran leadership which this locker room severely lacks, and has lacked since T-Rich, Cotchery and those dudes all moved on.

For what Garrard will cost, I think it's a no-brainer to bring him in here. We've got a bare cupboard.

Yep

I think so far Idzik has done a good job.  Even in the Revis and Tebow situation. 

Why cut Tebow yet?  Maybe someone will give up a late rounder.

If he hurt Revis’  feelings,  Oh well, several million could heal that.

The only other real option is Moore.  Who right now is the best of the QB’s out there, and will get paid.

Why would you want to pay Moore 5-7 million when you can get a guy for 1-2 million who beat him out in camp last year

If the JETS have some salary cap this would not be bad move. Tryout this guy for a couple of years and see where he can take the team while drafting a QB in the draft say next season and allowing him to learn the system for a season before he takes over if Flynn is not cutting it. One thing for sure, Flynn would be an upgrade over Fumblez!

But JETS do not have the salary cap to do that. One other way Tanny's extension of Mark hurts us.

If the JETS have some salary cap this would not be bad move. Tryout this guy for a couple of years and see where he can take the team while drafting a QB in the draft say next season and allowing him to learn the system for a season before he takes over if Flynn is not cutting it. One thing for sure, Flynn would be an upgrade over Fumblez!

But JETS do not have the salary cap to do that. One other way Tanny's extension of Mark hurts us.

This was my thought on Flynn originally.  You have to consider though that, unlike us, Idzik knows Flynn.  He saw him in practice every day.

From what we know, Idzik hasn’t even tried to make a move on Flynn.  IMO that speaks volumes about Flynn’s potential.  Idzik just doesn’t see him as a starter.  Now if I read later today that the Jets signed Flynn I’ll adjust my assessment. 

If Garrard is sound, we could catch lightning in a bottle.  Heck, I've seen it before with high mileage guys like Blanda, Kilmer and Plunkett.  I think Flynn stays in Seattle despite his salary.  He works just fine as a back-up due to Wilson's low salary -- collectively the numbers work.  Unless he is a lock to be the undisputed #1 with the Jets, there is no way you pay him to ride the pine.  The comments about Idzik knowing him well enough to not want him are interesting and, perhaps, spot on.  In realty, the guy hasn't done anything except to lose his job to a rookie.

I've got a bad feeling that Flynn is the next Kolb, Cassell, etc.

If they think Geno is the real deal, take him in the 1st. If not, take the best QB you can target in the 2nd... I dunno.

Can always draft another QB next year. I think that's what we'll end up doing anyway.

Archived