Jets (will maybe, someday) sign Brandon Pettigrew. Or not.

Favorite_Toon

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was one of the first players we contacted, so I have to imagine they were fairly intent on bringing him in. However, considering it's taken this long, it stands to reason that Idzik let his agents test the market and there weren't as many interested teams as he thought. It's a solid signing to pair with Cumberland, but I would imagine it's not for a large deal, so it shouldn't change the fact that if Ebron, Amaro, ASJ and Nilkas are BPA at their respected rounds in the draft, we'll select them. 

For all those getting ulcers in the first 20 hours of free agency, this is how you build a team.  Fill your needs with quality players, let the draft come to you so that you can go BPA and retain cap-flexibility for future moves.  

Fck! So no Ebron in the draft then?! Fck!

Why do you say that?

Pettigrew doesn't prevent drafting Ebron if he's there.  Further, it removes gambling the position on other teams NOT drafting him.  Then there's the other thing, which is that Ebron might not be all that once he's playing with the adults (or not for some time anyway).

Why do you say that?

Pettigrew doesn't prevent drafting Ebron if he's there.  Further, it removes gambling the position on other teams NOT drafting him.  Then there's the other thing, which is that Ebron might not be all that once he's playing with the adults (or not for some time anyway).

eric allen just dropped the ebron hint,, they all know he isnt there at 18, ,I think jets may move up to get him

Love this signing!!

+1

Unless there was a Vernon Davis just waiting for us to grab as a free agent, the next-best thing is to sign a legit starter whose contract isn't so ludicrous that it prevents looking at that position earlier in the draft.  Now our fallback at the position - our WORST case scenario - is Pettigrew+Cumberland.  If Ebron falls to us and we grab him then it's the 3 of them for the '14 season and just Ebron+Pettigrew a year later (Cumberland is cuttable with no dead cap hit after this season).  Also a possibility some team who sustains an injury to their starting TE could fork over a pick for Cumberland or Pettigrew if there's no one left to sign.

Strategically, anyway, it's really a perfect signing.  

Like that it removes TE as a need, not a huge fan of Pettigrew as a player so I'm curious about years/money - he's alright though. I see no confirmation of this anywhere though. Just a Rotoworld post based on a Mehta tweet saying that Pettigrew would be signing with a team shortly. No indication of what team though.

Why do you say that?

Exactly, I think if they signed Pettigrew it was insurance for not being able to get Ebron at 18 which is pretty likely.

For all those getting ulcers in the first 20 hours of free agency, this is how you build a team. Fill your needs with quality players, let the draft come to you so that you can go BPA and retain cap-flexibility for future moves.

Disagree somewhat. Decker is a solid guy, and a decent starting-caliber player, but Pettigrew is a mess whom Detroit couldn't wait to get rid of. Neither player should influence where the team goes with its draft picks.

Love it. 4 down TE. Great compliment to a pure pass catching TE in Cumberland.

Compliment: "You're not as stupid as your posts make you appear, maybe."

Complement: When a second entity supplements or amplifies the abilities of a primary entity.

We don't need Ebron, we have Cumberland and Pettigrew. I really think Cumberland is very underrated as a receiver.

Get a safety or a G (assuming we get another WR in FA and re-sign Cro).

Later in the draft, I also want to get a HB. I really like Andre Williams. Tre Mason as well. Easily plays football faster than anyone I've ever played against.

Now that we have both Petti and Cumby under contract, maybe we can get both of them to agree to surgically attach Petti's torso and arms To Cumby's hands and legs to form a super tight End...We'll throw them a couple extra million... And we'll all be happy... THE END

Compliment: "You're not as stupid as your posts make you appear, maybe."

Complement: When a second entity supplements or amplifies the abilities of a primary entity.

can you provide example of a "complementary compliment" plz?

Now that we have both Petti and Cumby under contract, maybe we can get both of them to agree to surgically attach Petti's torso and arms To Cumby's hands and legs to form a super tight End...We'll throw them a couple extra million... And we'll all be happy... THE END

sorry my toddler isn't around to dechipher this post. what are we talking about again?

Disagree somewhat. Decker is a solid guy, and a decent starting-caliber player, but Pettigrew is a mess whom Detroit couldn't wait to get rid of. Neither player should influence where the team goes with its draft picks.

Nonsense.

If they couldn't wait to get rid of him then what stopped them from letting him play out his full contract?

What it influences is the team no longer needs to reach at either position.  That is a positive influence to me.

Nonsense.

If they couldn't wait to get rid of him then what stopped them from letting him play out his full contract?

What it influences is the team no longer needs to reach at either position. That is a positive influence to me.

The Jets let Vlad Ducasse play out his full contract.

As far as the draft, I don't think Idzik would reach regardless.

I think you may have misinterpreted my meaning of BPA.  I'm not sure which post I addressed that in, but I stated explicitly that neither signings should prevent them from choosing a WR or TE should they be BPA. I actually am advocating the former, as I still very much so want Lee or Beckham.  The market was cold on Pettigrew, but he's still got 1st round pedigree and if signed for a relatively low deal, which I assume it will be, it's not something that you can really complain about. 

Archived