DR Cromartie to Visit Jets tonight

Steveg

Free agent cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is flying to New York to meet with the New York Jets Friday evening according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

This is the first known scheduled visit for Rodgers-Cromartie, who is by far the best cover corner left on the free agent market.  Pro Football Focus ranked Rodgers-Cromartie the fifth-best corner in the NFL in 2013 and he plays the kind of press coverage favored by Jets head coach Rex Ryan.  It seems like DRC has been in the league forever but he is still only 27 years old.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Pro Football Talk, the Broncos offered Rodgers-Cromartie a six-year, $54 million dollar contract – a deal which he turned down.

So what's his price tag going to be?

Whatever it is, I'm sure you'll start 17 threads about it being too much. 

According to Pro Football Talk, the Broncos offered Rodgers-Cromartie a six-year, $54 million dollar contract – a deal which he turned down.

So what's his price tag going to be?

IMO, you can't give him more than two years because he seems to he a flake, and if that's the case, you're going to have to get up into the $8-$9 mil range. Would you rather have DRC for 2 yrs/$18 mil or Revis for 1 yr/$12 mil?

IMO, you can't give him more than two years because he seems to he a flake, and if that's the case, you're going to have to get up into the $8-$9 mil range. Would you rather have DRC for 2 yrs/$18 mil or Revis for 1 yr/$12 mil?

F Mevi$

Is he 10 Mil a year good?

DRC had 2 good years and a few BAD years, not sure he is worth that much being that from 2010-2012 he played like garbage, but than bounced back last year. Who knows, perhaps with the Jets and Thurman he can thrive? Woulda paid V Davis this sort of loot, or hell kicked up another 1-2 mil and made a shot at Revis.

I don't understand what Idzik is expecting to do here. "Hey, look what Rex did for Darrelle" - is that the angle? The kid just turned down $54mm from a Superbowl contender. So yeah he's clearly a Revis clone and what's our play here?

I don't understand what Idzik is expecting to do here. "Hey, look what Rex did for Darrelle" - is that the angle? The kid just turned down $54mm from a Superbowl contender. So yeah he's clearly a Revis clone and what's our play here?

Sign him for cheap with an out if he doesn't make pro bowl and he has to pay us back with interest

If he signs a deal with us, Idzik is a God, and Rex is more influential on defensive personnel then some people here would like to believe.

We already know his price if you want to pay substantially less you will have to wait him out--unless the Denver numbers are bogus and put out by his agent to drive up price

9 to 10 mill for DRC is a whole lot. Maybe he has dialed down his expectations since the start of free agency. Thats the only hope.

Broncos offered him this deal because they know the window for winning a Super Bowl is a narrow one and they are going all in and wanted to maintain their defense befre they knew of Talib's availability. But otherwise the deal would not make sense.

What's Asante Samuel up to

Thinking the same thing. Him or Bailey, if that foot/leg checks out, could be a decent stop-gap if they want do address it in the draft. I don't see Idzik giving a long term deal to this kid unless he can convince them that he can keep his head on straight for more than one year. You don't want to run the risk of giving money to a jagoff that's not going to work or out in the effort.

9 to 10 mill for DRC is a whole lot. Maybe he has dialed down his expectations since the start of free agency. Thats the only hope.

Broncos offered him this deal because they know the window for winning a Super Bowl is a narrow one and they are going all in and wanted to maintain their defense befre they knew of Talib's availability. But otherwise the deal would not make sense.

I am wrong a lot but my guess is idzik offers what he thinks is fair meaning a lot less than the Denver numbers knowing that he will probably keep shopping looking for Denver numbers but maybe come back if it doesn't pan out. If I am idzik I tell him I know you want to keep looking for now but you have the security of an open offer here at X dollars

I am wrong a lot but my guess is idzik offers what he thinks is fair meaning a lot less than the Denver numbers knowing that he will probably keep shopping looking for Denver numbers but maybe come back if it doesn't pan out

That sounds on par for Idzik. I am just hoping the JETS are not in a panic mode and end up overpaying.

Archived