NFL Draft Needs: Jets

Steveg

Evan Silva (@EvanSilva) is the Senior Football Editor for Rotoworld's NFL Page, and Josh Norris (@JoshNorris) leads Rotoworld's college football and NFL draft coverage.

No. 1 Team Need: Cornerback

Silva’s Analysis

The Jets whiffed on Vontae Davis, Darrelle Revis, and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie in free agency, leaving 2013 first-round disappointment Dee Milliner and underwhelming slot corner Kyle Wilson as Rex Ryan's projected starters. That won't work for a defense that emphasizes press-man coverage on the perimeter. As this year's wide receiver class is brimming with talent and depth, GM John Idzik may have to seriously consider using his first-round pick at corner for the second straight year.

Norris’ Options

First day option: Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State - Rex likes to use press. Dennard wins in press. It really is a great match. No corner is as physical with receivers within five yards or downfield as Dennard. There were questions about his play speed, which still might be valid after running a low 4.50 forty, but Dennard forces receivers to play at his pace. He does tend to hand fight beyond five yards since there was no illegal contact at the college level. I would much rather have a corner that is too physical rather than one that prefers to keep their distance.

Second day possibility: Phillip Gaines, Rice - I stay away from these buzz words, but Gaines truly is a “riser” after missing the school’s largest game of the season against Texas A&M. I liked what I saw out of Gaines in press situations when preparing for the East-West Shrine, and he only continued his positive climb with a stellar workout. Gaines does get tangled up in his own footwork, but Rex could really work with his foundation.

Third day flier: Loucheiz Purifoy, Florida - Another defensive back that is more athlete than corner, despite his poor measurements at the Combine. Purifoy generated lots of buzz prior to the season, but he really is not worthy of more than a fifth-round pick at this point. He does have press experience, however, he does not defend the deeper portions of the field well.

No. 2 Team Need: Wide Receiver

Silva’s Analysis

The Jets landed a high-end No. 2 receiver in Eric Decker during free agency, and now need a young prospect capable of developing into a No. 1. Holdover Jeremy Kerley is a solid slot guy, but David Nelson is best suited to a fourth wideout role and 2012 second-round pick Stephen Hill looks like a bust. It's possible the Jets could give Hill one more shot at a prominent role, and use a high pick on a tight end. Either way, Michael Vick and Geno Smith need another pass catcher.

Norris’ Options

First day option: Odell Beckham Jr., LSU - There is no doubt in my mind that Beckham Jr. is the third ranked receiver in this class, but it would not shock me if he ultimately ended up the best of the group. He was used as a deep threat at LSU, making his home 9+ yards downfield. Beckham Jr. has the skills to win in this area since he combines speed with explosive movements and strong hands to fight for passes at the catch point. His game can expand in an offense at the NFL level.

Second day possibility: Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt - Don’t assume this is a second-round pick, either, as Matthews might be available in the third-round. That is not really a disservice to the Commodore, instead it is difficult to project when the run on receivers will take place. Matthews is quite good at maximizing operable space against off coverage and exhibited strong hands in specific situations. He flashed YAC ability as well, but many long gains were the product of excellent screen blocks. Matthews wastes very little movement and time, however.

Third day flier: Matt Hazel, Coastal Carolina - Many FCS products are seen as athletic upside picks. That is not really the case with Hazel, as he already displays a very technically sound game. He consistently hand catches everything in his vicinity and creates separation with animated movements.

No. 3 Team Need: Guard

Silva’s Analysis

C Nick Mangold and LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson are the Jets' only truly bankable O-Line assets. New RT Breno Giacomini is arguably a downgrade from outgoing Austin Howard, while both guard jobs are up for grabs after 2013 third-round pick Brian Winters got pushed around as a rookie. Experiencing an underwhelming free agent market, RG Willie Colon settled for a one-year, $2 million deal to return. Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg runs a power-blocking scheme to complement his West Coast passing attack. He needs more push in the trenches.

Norris’ Options

First day option: Xavier Su’a-Filo, UCLA - The odds on favorite to be the first pure guard off the board, Su’a-Filo has a nasty mentality on the field, going out of his way to find players wearing a different jersey and engage with them. He was forced to play a lot of tackle during his time at UCLA, but Su’a-Filo looked most natural in tight quarters on the inside. This might be a bit early, but we witnessed an early run on guards last year.

Second day possibility: Gabe Jackson, Miss State - Jackson is a massive 6’3/333 pounds, but I would stop before calling him a power drive blocker. Instead, Jackson tends to use his huge frame to sustain and box out blockers. Good aiming points and strong hands allow him to keep a grip and control the defensive lineman.

Third day flier: Blake Treadwell, Michigan State - Treadwell was not invited to the Combine, which is a shame since I prefer him over some OL who attended. He obviously is not overly powerful or athletic, but Treadwell finds contact through his hands and delivers a jolt to gain a positional advantage. Those active hands allow him to mirror pass rushers as well.

Is Guard really a need?  I think they're fine with Colon and Winters.

I agree with CB, WR...I'd throw TE in there before Guard. 

TE, OLB, and maybe even S (despite Rex not caring at all about the position) I would say are bigger needs than guard.  The Jets aren't great at guard, but they're bringing back last year's starters, and Colon played well while Winters should be improved with a year under his belt, as he looked better as the year went on.

Is Guard really a need?  I think they're fine with Colon and Winters.

I agree with CB, WR...I'd throw TE in there before Guard. 

I think so, as the cliche goes you win in the trenches. Plus good Oline play will remove any reason/excuse for us to cling on to Geno if he has a bad year. You know using the Oline as a scapegoat for poor Qb play is a Jet classic. I'm not confident in Winters or Colon.

Disappointing milliner? Underwhelming Wilson? Arguably a downgrade from Howard? Only if you're mentally retarded. **** this guy. Milliner improved every game last season and was the defensive player of the month in December ans Wilson is probably the best slot guy in the league. These guys know the jets fan are some woe is me, self haters who eat this negative sh*t up.

TE, OLB, and maybe even S (despite Rex not caring at all about the position) I would say are bigger needs than guard.  The Jets aren't great at guard, but they're bringing back last year's starters, and Colon played well while Winters should be improved with a year under his belt, as he looked better as the year went on.

I'm hoping that Barnes can stay healthy and Coples take a big step forward this seaosn.  He was coming off an ankle fracture learning a new position, I think we see him come up in a big way.  That said, I'd still take a hard look at any OLB in this draft. 

I think so, as the cliche goes you win in the trenches. Plus good Oline play will remove any reason/excuse for us to cling on to Geno if he has a bad year. You know using the Oline as a scapegoat for poor Qb play is a Jet classic. I'm not confident in Winters or Colon.

Yes but as BG pointed out, they're returning their starters from last season.  I certainly wouldnt use a pick before the 5th on it.

CB in the first would make me ******* puke. One of these days, the GM is going to have to ask SuperCoach Rex to make one of these draft picks pan out.

Lol in which case you would simply say that like Mo and Sheldon, this new draft pick would have been good even without Rex. Or look to take away all credit from him and heap it on someone like Dunbar. You're like a more eloquent Joewilly12 with how every topic reverts back to the same thing. Replace Rex with Idzik, take away punctuation and it's always identical.

Disappointing milliner? Underwhelming Wilson? Arguably a downgrade from Howard? Only if you're mentally retarded. **** this guy. Milliner improved every game last season and was the defensive player of the month in December ans Wilson is probably the best slot guy in the league. These guys know the jets fan are some woe is me, self haters who eat this negative sh*t up.

Giacomini is arguably a downgrade from Howard? No more than him being arguably an upgrade from Howard.  The biggest difference between the two is the price paid.  Oakland overpaid badly and we didn't (but Idzik did almost overpay for Howard, even if it was millions less than Oakland did).

Still waiting to hear from these guys how Denver could have lost that superbowl with an all-important "true #1" WR (actually a pair of them) to go with Decker, while Seattle didn't have a #1 WR and still beat the piss out of them.

Add to that the fiction of the Jets whiffing on Revis as though we tried desperately to get him and were outbid or Revis wanted no part of the Jets.

Trash.

Giacomini is arguably a downgrade from Howard? No more than him being arguably an upgrade from Howard.  The biggest difference between the two is the price paid.  Oakland overpaid badly and we didn't (but Idzik did almost overpay for Howard, even if it was millions less than Oakland did).

Still waiting to hear from these guys how Denver could have lost that superbowl with an all-important "true #1" WR (actually a pair of them) to go with Decker, while Seattle didn't have a #1 WR and still beat the piss out of them.

If Thomas wasnt playing for Denver in the SB they probably lose 58-0

If Thomas wasnt playing for Denver in the SB they probably lose 58-0

1. Thomas is an elite WR.  They got clobbered with him.  The magnitude of the clobbering matters not.

2. You have no idea what the score would have been without Thomas.  Game plans change, how other players did would have changed, etc.  Through no fault of Thomas, for all we know Denver would have won without him.

Lol in which case you would simply say that like Mo and Sheldon, this new draft pick would have been good even without Rex. Or look to take away all credit from him and heap it on someone like Dunbar. You're like a more eloquent Joewilly12 with how every topic reverts back to the same thing. Replace Rex with Idzik, take away punctuation and it's always identical.

I take it back. Dunbar has produced dominant DL's everywhere he's been.

Could have filled some of these needs in free agency, chose not to anyway.

Dear lord man.  Take a breath. It has been weeks and you are still going?

There are three needs on this list.  The team signed one of the top players on the FA list for 2 of them and had in a bunch of top guys for the third.  You act like he doesn't realize what the team might need.  If they signed some sh*t head like Aaron Ross you would be happy?  They are better off with Ellis Lankster and the money IMO. 

1. Thomas is an elite WR.  They got clobbered with him.  The magnitude of the clobbering matters not.

2. You have no idea what the score would have been without Thomas.  Game plans change, how other players did would have changed, etc.  Through no fault of Thomas, for all we know Denver would have won without him.

Not disagreeing but Thomas would start for every team in the league. Having him isn't a luxury or anything. 

I agree

I get a huge kick out of tons of unused cap space and CB perceived as a major need.

OTOH this is a hint that the team isnt as bad as some like to preach/imagine. Of course WR as a huge need is/was also a sign of the same...All in all I have enjoyed the offseason.

I even love how signing the top FA WR went down so low key.

But they just re-upped him. Can we really afford to throw all that money away? Wouldn't that count as an "overpay"? (Gasp!)

I guess I should just ignore you since you have become beyond ridiculous.  They paid Colon a reasonable amount for a player they liked.  They obviously want to get younger and stick with Winters on the other side.  They have not addressed corner, but they addressed T and WR.  They guy has not spent, but he has not ignored the roster either.  He added a QB.  Not one I like, but a guy who has started for years and their coaching staff knows quite well. Signing FAs that give you the value of UDFAs for the sake of blowing cap is not the key to winning.  They are in good shape if someone they like shakes loose - for instance Desean Jackson or Jonathan Joseph.  There is no reason for such relentless bashing in March.  I'm not particularly fond of some of the moves and failures to move either, but they did nothing disastrous. 

Could have filled some of these needs in free agency, chose not to anyway.

Guess it's fair to say that they didn't like what was available for its price as much as you keep reminding us that you do. This isn't the Yankees shopping like drunken sailors. Successful teams aren't the ones who spend the most in the offseason, it's being smart.

I wouldn't have CB that high of a need. But one position I do hope we address is G. Gabe Jackson would give us a huge boast and an immediate starter who can compete with Winters. If he were to do so and won the job then Winters can serve as OL depth which we need any how. I'm also certain this is Colon final year with us so he can plug in for him but overall I'm not high on Winters holding up and having a clear bath of starting. Also would hope we get some sort of CB depth and draft someone like Watkins from Florida who has experience playing both CB and SS. He's a guy who has experience covering slots playing safety this past season. I would think we want to upgrade our pass rushers they way Rex wanted Ware but webcast fix everything so inexpert for us to draft WR, G and CB. Bring in some TE and pass rushers later on.

I wouldn't have CB that high of a need. But one position I do hope we address is G. Gabe Jackson would give us a huge boast and an immediate starter who can compete with Winters. If he were to do so and won the job then Winters can serve as OL depth which we need any how. I'm also certain this is Colon final year with us so he can plug in for him but overall I'm not high on Winters holding up and having a clear bath of starting. Also would hope we get some sort of CB depth and draft someone like Watkins from Florida who has experience playing both CB and SS. He's a guy who has experience covering slots playing safety this past season. I would think we want to upgrade our pass rushers they way Rex wanted Ware but webcast fix everything so inexpert for us to draft WR, G and CB. Bring in some TE and pass rushers later on.

Agree with the Guard comments for sure.  Winters might be great this year and win the LG spot, but what about RG next year?  Better to have a guy play second string and pick up the system behind Colon than toss him right into the NFL trenches as a rookie.  And like you said, we are depth-poor at Oline in all positions.  Having at least one solid backup could save the season should we lose any one of our front five.  I like the G/T hybrids like Su'a'filo and Yankey particularly for this reason.

Arguably the best post ive ever read from you and I agree!

Archived