Jets just picked best TE in the draft!! Jace Amaro, merged

Tony The Wiz

F Ebron, the big ego'ed dickhead with stone hands. This is football, not boxing. 

I actually agree with this - Ebron has the leaned out build of a boxer. Jenkins is just a little bit less flexible and more knobby (Brandon Pettigrew-ish) than Amaro from what I can bullsh*t. Ebron thinks he's part male model, possibly he really wants to be an assassin. 

In the 2nd round of the NFL draft, the NY Jets have selected Tight End Jace Amaro (49th overall).  Amaro who is 6’5: 265lbs is a Junior at Texas Tech.

Here is the profile on Amaro from CBS Sports.com:

STRENGTHS:

At 6-feet-5, 265 pounds with impressive straight-line speed (4.74 seconds). Lining up mostly in the slot, Amaro is a big, fluid athlete who uses his thick body to gain proper positioning in coverage and uses his large, soft mitts to attack the ball in the air.

He is a balanced route-runner and collects himself when changing direction with smooth moves to create separation. Amaro is dangerous after the catch and isn’t an easy ball carrier to bring down, running with power and toughness.

Played more of a slot receiver position in college and projects as a joker tight end at the next level.

WEAKNESSES:

Lacks elite bulk and muscle definition for the position. Shows some ankle and lower body stiffness, lacking elite flexibility. Doesn’t have the softest hands and will have some drops off his palms. Allows his pads to get too high in his routes and needs to stay low and show better dip and body balance in his breaks – needs to do a better job hiding his intended path until the final moment.

Doesn’t always play up to his size as a route-runner and can’t let defenders knock him from his path.

Needs to develop a nastier demeanor as a blocker and improve his hand placement – will get caught holding. Room to improve his ball security when fighting for extra yards. Primarily an inside slot receiver in college and wasn’t asked to be a consistent inline blocker.

Some durability concerns after missing six games in 2012 after an upper body injury (grade-3 lacerated spleen) that caused internal bleeding. Needs to keep his emotions in check on the field – ejected from the bowl game in 2012 after punching an opponent. Some minor off-field character concerns after a March 2012 arrest for credit card fraud.

You can read more about Jace Amaro in our forums.

I mean their playing styles as in Amaro is an oversized WR who can make amazing catches, and Cumberland is a solid blocking TE who can also make plays.

Cumberland is an oversized WR who is not a solid blocking TE.

Blocking TEs don't get clocked at 4.5 in the 40. Also they tend to block well.

I mean their playing styles as in Amaro is an oversized WR who can make amazing catches, and Cumberland is a solid blocking TE who can also make plays.

FWIW, Cumberland literally came out of college as an oversized WR the Jets converted to TE.

great great pick :) As I've said a million times priority one w/geno was giving him safety valve until he learns playbook/stops panic w/primary covered;) Getting Ebron/Amaro/ASJ was priority one w/geno. Gives him safety valve until he learns playbook/stops panic w/primary covered;)

This is HUGE boost to Offense.

I think the ESPN analysts said that Amaro wasn't asked to block but that doesn't mean he can't block.  Jury still out on that but he's a big dude.  I would imagine the potential is there.

That was the knock on Vernon Davis when he came out, and he proved to be a beast of a blocker. Amaro was the combine's top performer on the bench press and vertical jump. He has plenty of upper and lower body strength. The Jets are going to ask him to do some blocking, and he'll be capable.

Archived