So this is what happens when you have competition...

We've heard Idzik say it a million times.  He wants there to be competition at camp.  I think this approach has worked great thus far.

• He brought in Jason Babin.  All of a sudden Coples is having a strong camp.
  • He brought in a new group of WR's.  Hill is improving.
  • He brought in an accomplished backup QB.  Geno has looked the part.
  • He drafts Pryor.  Landry having a strong camp.
  • He drafts Dozier/Oboushy.  Now Winters is being pushed.

The mere fact that there is a competent replacement behind some of these guys seems to be having a positive impact and I'm thrilled.

Sometimes it takes someone else being a viable replacement to get the most out of players.

In two drafts/free agency periods Idzik has reshaped our approach to team building.  I like it a lot.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I got from this is that Jason Babin is succeeding where Rex hasn't.

It's a collaboration, always has been between a good Gm and coach. maybe we finally have a Good GM who knows what talent matches his coaches skillset/temperment.

Come on Tom, find a new schtick ;)

It's a collaboration, always has been between a good Gm and coach. maybe we finally have a Good GM who knows what talent matches his coaches skillset/temperment.

Come on Tom, find a new schtick ;)

The only "talent" that apparently matches Rex's skillset and temperament are players who were already successful in the NFL.

We've heard Idzik say it a million times.  He wants there to be competition at camp.  I think this approach has worked great thus far.

The mere fact that there is a competent replacement behind some of these guys seems to be having a positive impact and I'm thrilled.

Sometimes it takes someone else being a viable replacement to get the most out of players.

In two drafts/free agency periods Idzik has reshaped our approach to team building.  I like it a lot.

Great post.  Dont let the haters derail it.

You're right.  Idzik finally has created depth and a true competitive nature in camp.  You're starting to see some of the young players truly step up and be the leaders of the team.  Then you bring a guy like Decker, a true professional and a talented RB with a chip on his shoulder and the culture is starting form.

Still think they're probably another offseason of additions before we can start really challenging the Pats, but they're getting closer and closer.  And if Geno makes a big leap, than we're even closer than I thought.

Love the Idzik, Rex, Marty, Thurman mix at the helm.  Feel like we're finally in great hands and they sky is the limit.

Pumped for the season!

So do we have to bring in some sort of super-troll for T0mshane to up his game? Because lately, it feels just like he's going through the motions, and frankly, this site deserves better than that.

My super-troll game is super-trill and would melt the servers here, skinny.

My super-troll game is super-trill and would melt the servers here, skinny.

I don't know Thomas, it just seems like you're spinning the wheels. Your "heart" doesn't really seem into it. I haven't seen any new posters meltdown or storm off because of you.  I guess I've just grown to expect more. 

I don't know Thomas, it just seems like you're spinning the wheels. Your "heart" doesn't really seem into it. I haven't seen any new posters meltdown or storm off because of you.  I guess I've just grown to expect more. 

Max needs to bring in some competition.

getting the sense it could be a redshirt year for Jace...Geno apparently yelling at him on the field today about not reading his playbook.

Thats awesome to hear about Geno.

Not cool about Jace.  He kind of looks like a bonehead.

It sure is nice to have 5 #5 receivers, but I would trade them all for a single #2 receiver. It sure is nice to have 4 #5 corners, but I would trade them all for a single #2 corner.

Do you go to any games? If you show up to any games this year. Let me know. I want to.... Buy you a beer.

Depth is key. No team is going to avoid the injury bug totally. You need to have as little drop off as possible when exchanging players and you also need stability on both sides of the ball. You can only get that with this type of competition. Look how many strong CB's seattle has produced. Browner, Thurmond, sherman, Maxwell etc. And this is just in a span of 3 years. All these guys got playing time. All were competitive but most of all supported one another. I think this is what John Idzik is trying to bring to the group. Players will push one another to excellence but will support because at the end of the day its about winning, not who's the starter. This is why Idzik kept all these picks. Its hard pushing certain philosophy's to veterans generally. You bring them in as rookies, unrestricted rookie free agents etc. and you mold them into a successful team. 

John Idzik is going to make a winner, and I hope its before Brady retires. I'd love to return the favor for a year or two! 

Love the Idzik, Rex, Marty, Thurman mix at the helm.  Feel like we're finally in great hands and they sky is the limit.

Pumped for the season!

These guys are all on the same page. It's fun watching the finger pointers trying to pretend they're not.

Yeah I go to a game every year, sometimes 2.

Will there be poison in the beer? I have many enemies here.

I might call you some names and use some profanity but I have to admire your sticking to your guns so no poison.

New posters?  If he were on his game we would be losing vets.  Especially when you consider the sheer volume he has been putting up lately.

New posters? If he were on his game we would be losing vets. Especially when you consider the sheer volume he has been putting up lately.

You know what? You guys are right. With no sarcasm here, I've been beating on these Jets too much. I hate the coach and want him gone and it's infected my entire thought process. As a concession, I'm gonna take a break from the ol' JN so I don't squash these feeble attempts at optimism that are springing up from the misguided and contrarian set. I shall return at some point, though. Oh, I shall return.

Great post. Really like the point on Landry. It is nice for a kid like Prior to not be handed anything. Earning it....will serve the player and the team so much better in the long run.

The soft label has been surfacing which scares me.

Already?  Yikes!  Where did you hear this?

Depth is key. No team is going to avoid the injury bug totally. You need to have as little drop off as possible when exchanging players and you also need stability on both sides of the ball. You can only get that with this type of competition. Look how many strong CB's seattle has produced. Browner, Thurmond, sherman, Maxwell etc. And this is just in a span of 3 years. All these guys got playing time. All were competitive but most of all supported one another. I think this is what John Idzik is trying to bring to the group. Players will push one another to excellence but will support because at the end of the day its about winning, not who's the starter. This is why Idzik kept all these picks. Its hard pushing certain philosophy's to veterans generally. You bring them in as rookies, unrestricted rookie free agents etc. and you mold them into a successful team. 

John Idzik is going to make a winner, and I hope its before Brady retires. I'd love to return the favor for a year or two! 

Me too because Brady said the other day he wants to play for 7 more years.  lulza. No doubt it would be sweet to see the tide turn while he's still around...though the Jets pretty much shut him down last year...

These guys are all on the same page. It's fun watching the finger pointers trying to pretend they're not.

It sure looks it.  I definitely feel as though Idzik and Rex share a similar vision when it comes to the type of team they're looking to build.  Marty is a nice compliment because he's a west coast guy who will run the ball.  I'm really looking forward to see how he uses Johnson and Powell out of the back field.  From what I remember of Thurman on Hard Knocks, he seems like a hard-nose no b.s. kind of guy, which would be a nice compliment as well.  Sprinkle that with some leaders stepping up on the team, I truly feel they're headed in the right direction.

Still thinks its going to take another offseason and some serious improvement from the QB, but I think this team is getting pretty damn close to truly competing again.  I'm excited.

It sure is nice to have 5 #5 receivers, but I would trade them all for a single #2 receiver. It sure is nice to have 4 #5 corners, but I would trade them all for a single #2 corner.

Just like we'd trade you, Shane, artemusclyde, Go Jets 77, and Bugg for one poster moderately worth reading.

You know what? You guys are right. With no sarcasm here, I've been beating on these Jets too much. I hate the coach and want him gone and it's infected my entire thought process. As a concession, I'm gonna take a break from the ol' JN so I don't squash these feeble attempts at optimism that are springing up from the misguided and contrarian set. I shall return at some point, though. Oh, I shall return.

Dont go Tom!!!  Dont go!!!

Great post. Really like the point on Landry. It is nice for a kid like Prior to not be handed anything. Earning it....will serve the player and the team so much better in the long run.

The safey position is going to be interesting.  Pryor, Allen and Jarrett are all young and seem to have potential.  Rex has been glowing about how improved Allen is this camp compared to last, which if that translates on the field could be huge.  He played well last year.  Then you have Landry, the seasoned vet who probably knows the system and the calls better than anyone other player in the secondary.  It will be intersting to see how they're deployed.  You got to think they're all locks to make the team.

the last 2 drafts have been about depth aside from maybe the 1st RND, watch next year we are going to make moves, time to go get that game changer, love this GM and his game plan time guys just  a bit more time. go jets, PATS SUCK!!!!

Archived