Parking/Tailgate

56mehl56

only the yellow lot for now.. but let's be honest about what the Jets are doing here.

This is a test run so that they can implement this policy in every lot next year. That is terrible on so many levels. Consider this scenario:

Car 1 shows up with the grill and gets it set up. Car 2 has coolers full of food but has to carry them all the way across the parking lot to meet up with his buddies with the grill. Car 3 has a couple 30 packs and has to lug them - with their coolers - across the lot too. Car 4 has only 2 people in it and has too much to carry - so they have to call their friends who just walked across the lot to come help them. Then at the end of the tailgate, they all have to bring everything all the way across the lot back to their cars before they can walk in to the game.

This is blatantly obvious that the Jets are attempting to make it as hard on fans to tailgate as humanly possible so that people will just give up and buy their insanely priced concessions. To try and sell it to the fans any other way is a blatant lie.

The Jets send out 4 surveys a year and many of us voice our displeasure with the one area of the experience that has not been improved since the demolition of Giants Stadium- the parking lot situation.

While many of you enjoy tailgating and have a lot of stuff to coordinate, please understand that the majority of the fans don't care for it, don't participate in it, want to avoid it, yet are forced to experience it anyway. I'm a dad with four kids and we go to the game to watch the game, we don't go to the game to get drunk, listen to 80s music, eat gassy food, listen to cursing, watch people pissing on cars, etc. And after the game ends, the walk back is a pleasure, navigating the coals left five feet behind cars, the ripped open garbage bags, the crushed alumium cans, the glass bottles under the wheels, the chicken bones, and the seagulls crapping from the sky.

To us- and I'd say it's about 70% of those in the lots- we are forced to get to the game too early, we are forced to expose our children to vulgar alcoholic behavior, and we are forced to deal with the post-game aftermath and it's not fair to us. We just want to park our cars, yet we feel like interlopers to a reunion we didn't get invited to. Segregation is a great thing. Let the Jets put all the tailgaters together in a few lots, ban them from the rest of the lots, everyone's happy. You can take up 2 or 3 spots and only inconvenience other tailgaters, we can get the spots we want and arrive 30 minutes before kickoff like any other sports event in New York. It's a win-win.

SAR I

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets send out 4 surveys a year and many of us voice our displeasure with the one area of the experience that has not been improved since the demolition of Giants Stadium- the parking lot situation.While many of you enjoy tailgating and have a lot of stuff to coordinate, please understand that the majority of the fans don't care for it, don't participate in it, want to avoid it, yet are forced to experience it anyway. I'm a dad with four kids and we go to the game to watch the game, we don't go to the game to get drunk, listen to 80s music, eat gassy food, listen to cursing, watch people pissing on cars, etc. And after the game ends, the walk back is a pleasure, navigating the coals left five feet behind cars, the ripped open garbage bags, the crushed alumium cans, the glass bottles under the wheels, the chicken bones, and the seagulls crapping from the sky.To us- and I'd say it's about 70% of those in the lots- we are forced to get to the game too early, we are forced to expose our children to vulgar alcoholic behavior, and we are forced to deal with the post-game aftermath and it's not fair to us. We just want to park our cars, yet we feel like interlopers to a reunion we didn't get invited to. Segregation is a great thing. Let the Jets put all the tailgaters together in a few lots, ban them from the rest of the lots, everyone's happy. You can take up 2 or 3 spots and only inconvenience other tailgaters, we can get the spots we want and arrive 30 minutes before kickoff like any other sports event in New York. It's a win-win.SAR I

No offense - but maybe football isn't your thing?

No offense - but maybe football isn't your thing?

Football is definitely my thing. Football is being in your seat at kickoff. Football is watching the game sober.

Fourth quarter alcohol was banned. Smoking was banned. The Gate D shenanigans were banned. Cursing is banned. Seat jumping is banned. Parking lots are next.

Perhaps it's not the football fans that need an adjustment. Perhaps it's the tailgaters. Perhaps irresponsibililty and discourteous behavior is no longer going to be tolerated. While some of you are quiet and tidy, most aren't.

SAR I

Football is definitely my thing.

Fourth quarter alcohol was banned. Smoking was banned. The Gate D shenanigans were banned. Cursing is banned. Seat jumping is banned. Parking lots are next.

Perhaps it's not the football fans that need an adjustment. Perhaps it's the tailgaters. Perhaps irresponsibililty and discourteous behavior is no longer going to be tolerated.

SAR I

It's kind of part of the culture. Its a different crown than baseball. Always has been and always will be. I forgot how offensive smoking is in comparison to the 18 wheeler you spend 4 hours behind on your way to the game. I forgot that cursing at a football game can be so damaging. Gimme a break. Glad you are waistline your money on this experience and not me. Sounds like a real hoot.

You asked, we listened. As we gear up for our last home game in 2014 against the Patriots on 12/21, we wanted to make you aware of a change in Lot L (yellow parking pass lot). 

condescending PR bullsh*t. Some guy in the Jets PR dept thought he was super slick when he wrote this passive aggressive lie................Yeah, tell us about how we asked for you to end a tradition we have been partaking in since before you could tie your shoes........they really are shameless, anything to sell a few more 22 buck sandwiches in the Club level i guess

Bunch of clowns, so they are going to have the human cones serve as parking attendants?  I heard the 9AM thing myself and actually sent a email to my rep that if they screw this up, I will have to seriously think about keeping my 4 upper seats next season.  Amazing that a team at 3-11 tries yet to ruin the pregameday experience, as if the product on the field is not enough. 

This.

Metlife_Parking

We received this letter via email today, it was sent to season ticket holders.

Dear Jet Nation,

You asked, we listened. As we gear up for our last home game in 2014 against the Patriots on 12/21, we wanted to make you aware of a change in Lot L (yellow parking pass lot). To improve your parking experience, for this game we will be utilizing “directed in parking” where a parking staff member will direct you to park in one spot. Please note the one car per one spot rule will be in full effect, and the parking lot will be filled in the order of your arrival.

Should you be parking in this lot we ask for your full cooperation as we look for ways to continue to make your parking experience better as expressed in the postgame surveys by our Season Ticket Holders.

Sincerely,

The New York Jets

Please raise your hand if you asked the Jets for this. Being serious, we would love to hear from fans that wanted the Jets to get more involved in where we park.

What this is going to do is make it very difficult for people to meet up at games. Friends and family members like to tailgate and that involves parking next to each other. That experience is going to be eliminated now that the Jets are implementing “Directed in Parking”.

This will occur in Lot L on Sunday for the Jets last home game against the Patriots. Could this be a trial run before implementing this in every parking lot next year? The biggest problem in regards to parking is that people take up more than one space. It is definitely a tough task for security to deal with after people have set up their tailgate. Telling people to move to one space, when they have already claimed two or more is rarely well received. There has to be a better way to enforce the one space rule though. Couldn’t parking lot attendants remind people on the way in and have the golf cart patrol help enforce the one space rule?

My two biggest concerns about this are:

1. Why are the Jets making changes like this during a 3 and 11 season. They should be thankful for the fans that show up each Sunday, and worry less about what they are doing before the game.

2. Why is this being billed as something the fans requested. “You asked, we listened” — seriously? I haven’t seen this public outcry over people being allowed to choose their own parking space. Someone please let me know if I am wrong.

Here is a thread on the from our forums. Most fans seem to feel the same way, so I am left wondering, who asked for assigned parking?

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
o7AlgUxJ-0M

View the full article

Bunch of clowns, so they are going to have the human cones serve as parking attendants?  I heard the 9AM thing myself and actually sent a email to my rep that if they screw this up, I will have to seriously think about keeping my 4 upper seats next season.  Amazing that a team at 3-11 tries yet to ruin the pregameday experience, as if the product on the field is not enough. 

Just make your move over by us in lot E, we'll lockup that whole curb from the attendant booth to the tunnel.

The Jets send out 4 surveys a year and many of us voice our displeasure with the one area of the experience that has not been improved since the demolition of Giants Stadium- the parking lot situation.

While many of you enjoy tailgating and have a lot of stuff to coordinate, please understand that the majority of the fans don't care for it, don't participate in it, want to avoid it, yet are forced to experience it anyway. I'm a dad with four kids and we go to the game to watch the game, we don't go to the game to get drunk, listen to 80s music, eat gassy food, listen to cursing, watch people pissing on cars, etc. And after the game ends, the walk back is a pleasure, navigating the coals left five feet behind cars, the ripped open garbage bags, the crushed alumium cans, the glass bottles under the wheels, the chicken bones, and the seagulls crapping from the sky.

To us- and I'd say it's about 70% of those in the lots- we are forced to get to the game too early, we are forced to expose our children to vulgar alcoholic behavior, and we are forced to deal with the post-game aftermath and it's not fair to us. We just want to park our cars, yet we feel like interlopers to a reunion we didn't get invited to. Segregation is a great thing. Let the Jets put all the tailgaters together in a few lots, ban them from the rest of the lots, everyone's happy. You can take up 2 or 3 spots and only inconvenience other tailgaters, we can get the spots we want and arrive 30 minutes before kickoff like any other sports event in New York. It's a win-win.

SAR I

The problem with segregation is that the tailgaters being forced over to a different lot are being pushed over to a different stadium exit and therefore adding possibly an hour plus to their trip home. Maybe not this year because the product on the field is an abomination and nobody will go, but if they start winning a few games again and all of Woodys target audience starts coming back, it could easily add an hour to someone's rides home not being near their normal highway entrance. Not fair.

I'd be curious to see the survey data. Does a majority of fans want this? Or is it a move by the Jets intended to increase concessions, reduce liability, etc.

From the posts in this thread you can see both perspectives, and the folks upset about it are clearly the majority. I wonder if that is representative of the survey data and, if it is, why the change?

Again for me the worst part is not getting to pick my specific spot for a quick exit. But if this is done well (which I tend to doubt) it would be nice to not have to circle past a million spots reserved by a folding chair on games I come later.

Lastly, someone above alluded to te appeal of the nfl experience never changing. I want to agree with that but I don't think it's the case. Look at the crazy passing numbers based on rule changes the last few years? And the changes we see with attendance based on psls and the more thriving stubhub/etc secondary market. Things are definitely evolving

I'd be curious to see the survey data. Does a majority of fans want this? Or is it a move by the Jets intended to increase concessions, reduce liability, etc.

From the posts in this thread you can see both perspectives, and the folks upset about it are clearly the majority. I wonder if that is representative of the survey data and, if it is, why the change?

Again for me the worst part is not getting to pick my specific spot for a quick exit. But if this is done well (which I tend to doubt) it would be nice to not have to circle past a million spots reserved by a folding chair on games I come later.

Lastly, someone above alluded to te appeal of the nfl experience never changing. I want to agree with that but I don't think it's the case. Look at the crazy passing numbers based on rule changes the last few years? And the changes we see with attendance based on psls and the more thriving stubhub/etc secondary market. Things are definitely evolving

"If this is done well" lol.

SAR I

70% sounds more like wishful thinkung than statistics to me

+1

This is a great move by the Jets for those of us who don't like to arrive at the game 2 hours early just to get a parking spot. For as many people like to turn the parking lot into a frathouse barbeque there are as many people who want nothing to do with that scene and just want to park, walk, and get into the stadium.

I've been emailing and lobbying for a tailgate-free lot for years, I'm hoping they get to that next.

SAR I

Its called the Parking Garage.

like i said in the other thread, doing this at the end of the year is akin to releasing bad news on a friday afternoon and hoping its out of the public psyche by monday morning.  This WILL be the rule of the entire lot next year.  Make those calls to your ticket reps people, i fear thats the only thing that stops this.  

I can only speak for myself but the tailgate is what keeps me coming back sunday after sunday........certainly not the product the Jets put on the field.

blame the jerkoffs that take up more then 1 spot.     this should have been done yrs ago.   and Rutgers and many other stadiums do this.  its no biggie, and doesn't stop tailgaiting

It's a big deal to people who have longstanding established tailgates with people from the tri-state area. 

My tailgate at L7, where we've all been parking together since 2010 is comprised of people from all over New Jersey, Connecticut, upstate New York, Philadelphia and Long Island.

It would be impossible for us to all coordinate getting there at the same time due to how far people travel from. But you are right that if we could all just coordinate it would be fine. I go to 3 or 4 Rutgers games per year with friends and we dont have a problem because we all live near each other, so we just convoy down. But IMO it just wouldn't work for my jets tailgate.  

This, if it is implemented full time, would be the end of our tailgate.  

I just got off the phone w/my Rep.

Same old story that it's not permanent and they have heard numerous complaints from STH about the parking system, thus this experiment. Swears it is not permanent.

As I started to state that this is just another detraction from the LIVE game-day experience - SeeThruBags, Security, food, etc. - he goes off about how everyone is disappointed with the team on the field and people tend to usually bitch a bit more. Felt like typical CustomerService CorpTalk that came acroess rehearsed and insincere. 

I called hogwash in the end, it's true that they don't care. "Thank you for your feedback and I'm here to receive any other questions you may have about your account."

Is it worth renewing ST? 

It's a big deal to people who have longstanding established tailgates with people from the tri-state area. 

My tailgate at L7, where we've all been parking together since 2010 is comprised of people from all over New Jersey, Connecticut, upstate New York, Philadelphia and Long Island.

It would be impossible for us to all coordinate getting there at the same time due to how far people travel from. But you are right that if we could all just coordinate it would be fine. I go to 3 or 4 Rutgers games per year with friends and we dont have a problem because we all live near each other, so we just convoy down. But IMO it just wouldn't work for my jets tailgate.  

This, if it is implemented full time, would be the end of our tailgate.  

If they did things the right way, they'd give the option to buy a pass for a particular section in L so you can still be in the same area as each other and make gathering easier, and maybe make a "group gathering" area out by the racetrack lot so you can coordinate and get in together... of course, this is the Jets organization so let's not hold our breath.

(Did someone say in the other thread that showing up early means they will still let you go wherever you want?)

I tend to get there later, and I often have to stalk spaces down one or two rows because there are multiple grills and corn hole games in "empty" spots.  The offenders are not multiple-car groups, it's single and double car tailgaters who believe they are entitled to an extra spot or two because they got there before someone else.

I would like to see it balanced (and NO, I didn't ask for this), but they're doing it wrong.

If they did things the right way, they'd give the option to buy a pass for a particular section in L so you can still be in the same area as each other and make gathering easier, and maybe make a "group gathering" area out by the racetrack lot so you can coordinate and get in together... of course, this is the Jets organization so let's not hold our breath.

(Did someone say in the other thread that showing up early means they will still let you go wherever you want?)

I tend to get there later, and I often have to stalk spaces down one or two rows because there are multiple grills and corn hole games in "empty" spots.  The offenders are not multiple-car groups, it's single and double car tailgaters who believe they are entitled to an extra spot or two because they got there before someone else.

I would like to see it balanced (and NO, I didn't ask for this), but they're doing it wrong.

I agree, that part of the problem is that there are many spots taken up by chairs and what not. Maybe my group and I are upset because this isnt the case by us. by 930 everyone is pretty much there and our section is filled, but I understand why other people are upset as well. I dont want it to look like we don't care, because we do. 

Right now its just upsetting to us because after 5 years together we really became a family. We've been to each others weddings. Weve been to funerals and wakes for each others family members. We get together all offseason.  It just feels right now that someone is trying to break our family apart. 

blame the jerkoffs that take up more then 1 spot.     this should have been done yrs ago.   and Rutgers and many other stadiums do this.  its no biggie, and doesn't stop tailgaiting

It stops people from meeting up and tailgating next to each other. Which a large % of people do.

Archived