Charley Casserly…Rex’s Savior?

JetNation

Rex

The report by Adam Schefter claiming that New York Jets owner Woody Johnson is looking to hire former Redskins and Texans GM Charley Casserly in an advisory capacity has some Jets fans breathing a sigh of relief.  Johnson, over the past several years has relied upon General Managers with little or no personnel background to run his organization and he has paid the price.  Both Mike Tannenbaum and current GM John Idzik made names for themselves on the financial side of the house and the Jets’ talent level has suffered as a result.

Cassserly on the other  hand, has run personnel departments with considerably more success than Idzik has had with the Jets, which isn’t all that hard to do up to this point. Despite some quality decisions such as drafting Sheldon Richardson and trading for Chris Ivory and Percy Harvin, Idzik has come up short attempting to build a contender.

If Johnson were to lean on Casserly for advice concerning the future of Head Coach Rex Ryan, things could get interesting.  Jets fans seem to be torn in different directions in terms of what they feel the fate the head coach should be.  Many want to see him let go immediately while  others blame Idzik for the team’s failures, and some have said they’ll be happy if that decision, whatever it may be, is left in the hands of a credible football person.  Casserly is undeniably credible as a GM.  The interesting part of the scenario is finding out exactly what Casserly thinks about the current state of the team. ESPN.com’s Rich Cimini reported that in an interview earlier this season, Casserly offered these comments in regards to the Jets situation.

“I would say, having been in an organization, it’s hard to know from the outside-in who’s making the final decision on things,” he said. “For example, they took two corners in the first round. One is hurt [Dee Milliner], and the other one, [Kyle] Wilson, hasn’t panned out. So how much of that was the coaching staff? How much of that was the scouting staff? Who made the final decision? Those are the things you’re going to have to figure out — and that’s the owner’s job to figure that out.”

“This year, they did not take a corner [in the first round] — and they were in desperate need of a corner. Cincinnati took Darqueze Dennard from Michigan State [24th overall], who was rated about in the middle of the first round. Now, he’s not playing for them because they have a lot of other corners, but they do like him there.

“Not addressing the cornerback position was huge because [of] two things: One, any time you talk to Rex Ryan, he says, ‘Give me corners. That’s what I need, is corners.’ When you watch their defense, they’ve never had a legitimate outside pass-rusher you have to game-plan against. But by having good corners, Rex is as good as anybody in the league at designing blitzes to get people free.

“So that’s an example of the front office not getting what the coach needs. From the outside-in, that’s the obvious one we look at there. It’s a legitimate question because clearly there’s not enough talent around that football team to compete. I thought Rex should have been the coach of the year at 8-8 last year.”

JetNation.com recently spoke to a person familiar with the organization’s thinking on Rex and they had this to say “Rex is probably gone after the season, but Woody is looking for a reason to keep him”.

If this is in fact the case, could it be that Woody is reaching out to Casserly, who had such high praise for Ryan, in an attempt to calm those who will undoubtedly be outraged if Rex is retained?  Keeping Rex is a much easier sell if it’s based on the advice of an accomplished GM, instead of head hunting company like Korn-Ferry.

While it seems unlikely that an organization would keep a head coach around despite missing the playoffs four seasons in a row, it now looks like the man being brought in to help shape the franchise for years to come could suggest just that.  If Casserly does come in, it’s hard to imagine he recommend terminating a head coach whom he said should have been the NFL coach of the year less than one year ago.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
uSSSESLvUaQ

View the full article

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would love it just for the misery it would create..

But to be honest, if we are even tinkering with the idea of taking Winston you can't have Rex running the team under any circumstance. That would be a disaster on just about every front

There is little faith in JI. Rex has people on his side because the D for the most part is Top 10. The real questions for the Jets imo are:

QB, OC, GM.

The Jets haven't really had a game managing QB. Missed Blocking assignmets, sacks, picks, fumbles continue to haunt the Jets. If Rex is going to stay, those three items above become paramount.

Full retard.

It might be, but man what a hell of a coincidence.  Woody wants an excuse to keep him and he goes out and hires a guy who said Rex should have been coach of the year last season and asks him to advise him on what to do?  As I've said, it's time for Rex to go, but damn did that Casserly quote catch my eye.

It might be, but man what a hell of a coincidence. Woody wants an excuse to keep him and he goes out and hires a guy who said Rex should have been coach of the year last season and asks him to advise him on what to do? As I've said, it's time for Rex to go, but damn did that Casserly quote catch my eye.

I do believe Woody is that stupid and I'm terrified.

I do believe Woody is that stupid and I'm terrified.

Hard to fathom bringing him back, but praise like that from the guy advising you on what to do makes it more plausible than it was a couple days ago IMO.

Hard to fathom bringing him back, but praise like that from the guy advising you on what to do makes it more plausible than it was a couple days ago IMO.

In that it takes it from a 0% possibility to a .05% possibility.

Please note that I wasn't calling the article itself "full retard." I was referring to the organization itself in such a scenario.

The writer of this article seems to think that Casserly is a long term solution for the jets. Did I mis-read that they are just using him as advisor/consultant.

Casserly is not managing things here long term. He is advising on change management, This club is not going to be a vision of Charlie Casserly. 

Casserly is only there to recommend what the club maybe should do. Woody then decides what he actually wants to do. And Casserly is gone.

It might be, but man what a hell of a coincidence.  Woody wants an excuse to keep him and he goes out and hires a guy who said Rex should have been coach of the year last season and asks him to advise him on what to do?  As I've said, it's time for Rex to go, but damn did that Casserly quote catch my eye.

And to Casserly's point, this season the lack of talent caugut up with the Jets... The Jets could have been and maybe should have been 3-13 last year.  

That said, maybe someone should ask Caaserly if he would take the GM job if Rex came with it?  

Prasie for Rexy asside.....  I would doubt it,,,,

If I'm not mistaken Rex has two years left on his contract, only one is guaranteed. Depending on what Casserly's actual role on the team is, at worst it would mean that Rex is back for one more year.

Unless of course with a new GM, QB, and some CB's who can actually play they make the playoffs next year

If I'm not mistaken Rex has two years left on his contract, only one is guaranteed. Depending on what Casserly's actual role on the team is, at worst it would mean that Rex is back for one more year.

Unless of course with a new GM, QB, and some CB's who can actually play they make the playoffs next year

Casserly is an advisor and consultant. That means he looks at the org, does interviews and presents Woody a document of options and opinions, and Woody does what he wants then. Casserly is paid and goes away.

I guess it is possible that Woody could retain him in some role after the fact, but that does not seem likely.

Casserly is an advisor and consultant. That means he looks at the org, does interviews and presents Woody a document of options and opinions, and Woody does what he wants then. Casserly is paid and goes away.

I guess it is possible that Woody could retain him in some role after the fact, but that does not seem likely.

Unless the Jets have hired Casserly in the capacity of "consultant" as a way of retaining him as a GM candidate until all of the other firings happen and they can assess which direction they want to go in for the coach.

Unless the Jets have hired Casserly in the capacity of "consultant" as a way of retaining him as a GM candidate until all of the other firings happen and they can assess which direction they want to go in for the coach.

You would hope that if the Jets are changing GM's, that they would have that move done by mid January, so they can get on to the business of building a football team.

Holding on to Casserly, in the form of GM, when he won't be the long term solution would be the truest cluster ****.

Archived