Bowles

NCJETSFAN

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol

I haven't looked into it too much, but his defining credential seems to be that he got the Cards defense to keep their swagger even after Dockett and Matthieau went down.

I'd say that's just as good a credential as "didn't finish 6-10 with the Bills".

"If you have been around them for five minutes you know (Bowles and Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau) are a little different than the average coach," Foote said. "They both have one of those minds. And then from a personality standpoint, Todd has the it factor."

Bowles' name has been associated with five of the six head-coaching vacancies and is expected to begin interviews this week. It will be interesting to see whether or not the Bears, who have requested permission to meet with Bowles, can capture his attention. Interview requests are not always fulfilled. Because the Bears would like to hire a general manager first, it remains to be seen if they can move quickly enough to have a chance at Bowles. Sources indicated Bowles may meet with the Falcons first and some have suggested that is his preferred destination.

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said Sunday morning that the Falcons and Jets have requested permission to meet with Bowles and a Cardinals source said the Raiders and 49ers are also interested. The Cardinals hope to retain Bowles and made the unusual move of extending his contract through 2017 two months ago.

Bowles has an interesting resume. After his playing days ended, he worked in personnel briefly for the Packers under Mike Holmgren and coached under Bill Parcells, Andy Reid and Wade Phillips, among others, before joining forces with Arians, who was the head coach when Bowles was a team captain at Temple in the 1980s.

"Todd is about being tough and he is about being accountable and I think that is his biggest asset," safety Rashad Johnson said. "No matter who you are, no matter what your status is, your contract is, he is going to hold guys accountable to do their jobs and he's not afraid to let it be known in front of guys: 'Hey, you need to step it up and pick your game up.'

"Ultimately, that makes you want to play more."

Defensive tackle Frostee Rucker said he might be out of the league had Bowles not resuscitated him beginning last year. In his ninth season, he had a career year with five sacks.

"You'd be getting a sharp guy, intelligent, any positive words you can toss at the man," Rucker said. "His demeanor and professionalism, his attention to detail. (I'm) playing at a really high level and it's all because of him."

Foote said Bowles' greatest trait is his adaptability while maintaining high standards, the type of pressure players crave in a competitive environment.

"What is unique about him is he can scream, cuss you out, get in your face and two minutes later he's hugging you, laughing with you and joking," Foote said. "That is a special skill. It's kind of like the uncle who chews your butt out but you know he means well. I've been with a lot of coaches that are on one side of that or the other, they didn't have both and Todd has both. That is why guys listen to him. They don't tune him out. They know how good he is."

www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-bears-todd-bowles-coaching-job-spt-0105-20150104-story.html

C mart .. Good post.. Makes me curious as to why writers are not going to current bills players for comments on marrone? We have heard from some of the former jets... But I also would like to hear from a few current bills

didn't help his cause yesterday.  I didn't even know his name until a week ago, but I was not blown away by any means

Ryan Lindley couldn't get a first down yesterday.  Don't really understand how Arizona's defense was going to wow you when the offense got 50 yards total the entire game.

Wondering how good Bowles defense would look with Philip Adams starting on it.

Probably better than Rex's, considering that Cardinals defense lost Dockett, Washington, Dansby, Abraham, and Mathieu and didn't look much different than it did last year.

Wrote this in another post that got derailed.  Putting it here because my personal preference is Bowles as next head coach.

Bowles is a New Jersey Native, Elizabeth High School.

Bowles was a member of the Green Bay player personnel staff from 1995–1996 under GM Ron Wolf. 

Apparently Charlie Casserley loves Todd Bowles as a coach.  Charlie is quoted from 2012 saying "Todd can adapt to a lot of things. He's an experienced defensive coach who relates well with players, a smart guy who has worked in a lot of systems. This guy's a good coach."

There are concerns about going with a defensive coordinator but found this quote which does not mean much but if hired, I find comfort with it.

"He's a genius when it comes to personnel and figuring out what opponents are going to do and trying to stop them, I believe Bowles' mind works more like that of an offensive coach, melding his game plans around exploiting a player's skillset."

The Cardinals lost many key players on defense this season but Bowles has a top 5 defense.  Bowles is actually known to be more aggressive than Ryan when it comes to play calling.

You also have to like that Bowles has worked under Arians for two years and saw the aggressive play calling that Arians uses. 

My impression is Bowles is brought in, we will have a very aggressive team on both sides of the ball and Bowles will understand player evaluation as well.  Actually Bowles is known to have an eye for talent which I assume comes from his stint with Ron Wolf's staff.

I think if they interview several candidates and hire Marrone, I'm ok with it.

People worry about Marrone's offenses.  He had Manuel and Orton for QBs and won 9.  That is a natural progression to me.   6 wins then 9 wins.  Improvement.  I am trying to remember if any bland coaches like Marrone have won SBs.  folks have got to stop reading the Daily News.

Archived