Welcome Back Fireman Ed

Maxman

The fans were awesome today because Rex Ryan and John Idzik are gone and the team on the field gives us cause to believe again.  Period.

If Mr. Met were mothballed tomorrow, Citifield would still be just as loud as it was yesterday.  It's not about a mascot.  It's not about some "chant".  Put a quality product on the field, we'll start cheering loudly again.  To say that the reason we were louder today (Bowles blowout) than the day Ed left (Buttfumble humiliation) is due to an angry mascot is just about the funniest thing I've heard in a long time.

SAR I

The Mets played in Atlanta yesterday. How loud was it?

Do you even realize how rediculous and bitter you sound?

ESPN Sports Center running a Star of the Week or something and they picked Fireman Ed.  Talked about him leading the chant and "welcome back, Fireman Ed."

I hope he just sticks around.  This will get complicated...to the non-superfan/maniacs like us, no one is going to understand passing the torch or transitioning or whatever.  I think he needs to just stick around (most folks will be happy....though perhaps not Ed himself...) or leave (we will be ridiculed...but should go away fast).

If he's in then out, etc no one is going to understand wtf is going on except maniacs like us discussing on the Web.

It was pretty awesome hearing the stadium loud with the chant again. And it is interesting how Ed can get people more into it than others. Ostensibly it's a pretty simple thing, especially if the Jets put you on the big screens. But I guess with more folks recognizing you etc multiplied by 70,000 it makes a huge difference.

To me it would be best if Ed just stuck around. If a new superman takes over...was it JetMan with a green cape and license plate in the opposite end zone yesterday?...it makes the situation feel a little silly. Like here is the new crazy super fan.

But whatever - on balance I like the chant and it is great when the stadium is loud like that. And it is probably great for the kids.

great day and win yesterday!!

The issue is the mascot costume, another needless complication that comes with having a human mascot with sensitive feelings.  The average fan in the stands doesn't know who Ed Anzalone is; they just see a white hat and a Harper jersey.

When people see the white helmet and the Harper jersey, it is recognizable and they are more in tune with an upcoming chant.  Because Ed won't relinquish the costume he's forcing his replacement to come up with something on his own and the candidates can't compete with the trademark that's been around for 25 years.  As said before, NFL stadiums no longer have quiet pauses during TV timeouts.  We're bombarded with loud music.  Add to it that 75% of the people in the seats are checking their iPhones when there's no action on the field and people simply don't know that a chant is about to start.

Bottom line:  For the chant to have a life after Ed, Ed has to give up the costume and let someone else wear the white hat and the Harper jersey.  "Fireman Ed" the mascot and Ed Anzalone are two different things.  Except for the money and the notoriety.  Give the hat and jersey to JETMAN from New Hampshire, problem solved.  Let's see if he's loyal enough to the Jets to do that.

SAR I

The Mets played in Atlanta yesterday. How loud was it?

Do you even realize how rediculous and bitter you sound?

If you think that the reason that the stadium was loud yesterday was because of a 60 year old mascot you've got to be kidding.

The stadium was loud because the Jets finally did something to rid us of the Rex Ryan Circus and the John Idzik Calamity.  Period.  We have a reason to believe that the Jets are headed in the right direction again, for the first time since the AFC Championship Game blowout and the Buttfumble we can honestly think a return to the playoffs is on the roadmap.

Fireman Ed made appearances during bad times and no one responded.  His appearance yesterday didn't do a damned thing.  We were loud as hell on third downs and after touchdowns.  We had impromptu "Bran-Don-Mar-Shall" chants (a-la De-Rick-Jee-Ter) without anyone needing to help us at all.  We are all Rangers and Islanders and Yankees and Mets fans for cripesakes.  We don't need a stupid mascot telling us how to vocally support our team.  We just needed new coaches and players to get behind.  Get that through your head.

SAR I

If you think that the reason that the stadium was loud yesterday was because of a 60 year old mascot you've got to be kidding.

The stadium was loud because the Jets finally did something to rid us of the Rex Ryan Circus and the John Idzik Calamity.  Period.  We have a reason to believe that the Jets are headed in the right direction again, for the first time since the AFC Championship Game blowout and the Buttfumble we can honestly think a return to the playoffs is on the roadmap.

Fireman Ed made appearances during bad times and no one responded.  His appearance yesterday didn't do a damned thing.  We were loud as hell on third downs and after touchdowns.  We had impromptu "Bran-Don-Mar-Shall" chants (a-la De-Rick-Jee-Ter) without anyone needing to help us at all.  We are all Rangers and Islanders and Yankees and Mets fans for cripesakes.  We don't need a stupid mascot telling us how to vocally support our team.  We just needed new coaches and players to get behind.  Get that through your head.

SAR I

I partially agree w. you, b/c a quitter led a chant before the game didn't make the place loud.  it was actually very quiet on that 90 yd Cle drive and then would have been worse if marshall doesn't steal back the INT.  after that play the team got going and the place got really loud.

as far as Rex goes:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/13/nfl-week-1-marcus-mariota-tennessee-titans

he sue has brought energy to a lifeless fanbase.

Rex Ryan coached six years in New Jersey, and so he heard the cacophonous noise around the Meadowlands on occasion. But a couple of things he hadn’t seen. One: Fans standing for most of three hours, which they did Sunday, so as not to miss anything in a 27-14 Bills’ victory over the favored Colts. Two: The RV parking lot adjacent to Ralph Wilson Stadium full late Saturday morning.

If I was betting, I think yesterday was Fireman Ed's swan song.  It looked like he passed the torch to those 2 other knuckleheads, one of which I believe is the guy on the left in my signature photo below.

Connect the dots... doing that chant with the intensity and fervor that Ed has shown in the past requires a lot of energy.

The guy is 60 years old.  Do you think he wants to pop veins out of his neck now at his age?  I say no.

Eddie's done.  It was a good career.  He'll be remembered as one of the most colorful and passionate fans that we have ever had.

Hey guys - you have the other thread for all of this nonsense. What I was trying to do in this thread is Welcome Ed back and just thank him. Post the other nonsense and fighting in the other thread, this way we can all ignore it. Nobody cares about the behind the scenes stuff. 

All we care about is that Fireman Ed was back. He had the stadium loud. And he got the credit he deserved. So whatever happens in the future happens. But back on topic, Welcome Back Fireman Ed.

It was great to see you back where yo belong.

I partially agree w. you, b/c a quitter led a chant before the game didn't make the place loud.  it was actually very quiet on that 90 yd Cle drive and then would have been worse if marshall doesn't steal back the INT.  after that play the team got going and the place got really loud.

as far as Rex goes:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/13/nfl-week-1-marcus-mariota-tennessee-titans

he sue has brought energy to a lifeless fanbase.

I've heard that's a pretty normal thing in Buffalo.  A buddy of mine went up there a few years back and told me that he went past the Stadium on Saturday and tailgaters were already doing their thing.

Oh, and welcome back Ed.  I got a couple of great pics of him when he was a few sections down from us.

Welcome back Ed - I do not blame anyone not to want to go through the hassle  and abuse .

I find that to be a bad excuse.  there are idiot fans at EVERY game and in the new place it is safer than it ever was at the old place.  he was tired of watching bad football and where we were headed.  he quit on the team and fans.

I find that to be a bad excuse.  there are idiot fans at EVERY game and in the new place it is safer than it ever was at the old place.  he was tired of watching bad football and where we were headed.  he quit on the team and fans.

No that isn't true. He was assaulted.  But again, this isn't the thread for that. Start a new thread ... I was just trying to Welcome Fireman Ed back here.

No that isn't true. He was assaulted.  But again, this isn't the thread for that. Start a new thread ... I was just trying to Welcome Fireman Ed back here.

I got it, I won't discuss the other part of him but is he really back? he led one chant before the game and that was it.

I got it, I won't discuss the other part of him but is he really back? he led one chant before the game and that was it.

There is another thread for the other part, lol.

I should just lock this one haha.  I have always been a huge fan of Ed's. When I would go to the games with my Dad we just loved his intensity. When he would shake his head in disgust when the crowd wasn't loud enough. Classic stuff.

Some others are just beating topics into submission. I don't think all the other stuff matters right now. Just wanted to say thanks to Ed.

I will say one more thing before I go to bed.. The plan was to have Ed come back and slowly introduce these new younger guys in to the mix so that fans could get used to seeing them - instead of doing a contest and have a new face on the screen every week. The new guys were going to go back and forth across the stadium like the old days at Shea and the early days at Giants Stadium once Ed was phased out. 

As far as I knew, this was going to be a slow process that was done over the course of the first few home games (or even the entire season)… it just didn't go down that way. It was not the way I would have done it. It was not the way Ed would have done it. But it is the way it went down. It is a shame because I think that if the original plan was executed properly, it would have given these new guys a much better chance of earning the respect of the stadium. And to make matters worse, the players are now asking Ed to come back which is not going to help these new guys either. 

As I have more updates, I will post them. 

the only way the back and forth will work is if they are in the upper deck, not down in the PSL wanna be out of town fan location. And the problem you will have in the upper deck is you actually need people up there to follow the chant.  PSLs killed the chant. 

It's not about Ed.

When Jets players say stuff about Ed they are talking about us, the collective fanbase.  They were happy that we were enthusiastic and supported them.  They think Ed represents us when he doesn't.  But that's okay.  Ed's retired now and they can just thank us directly instead.

SAR I

No, they are talking about Ed.  Not you.

Listen, you nincompoops... Put the Real Housewives nonsense to the side and identify the problem statement raised by the players actively seeking out better support from the fans... the players understand and want the advantage of a raucous home field advantage. If they are calling out for Ed to "be there, do the chant", what they are saying is, our home fans need to be better. 

This subject as an ongoing debate is pathetic. It's a poor reflection of our fans that more energy goes into arguing over who leads the chant, than into being a good 12th man.

he quit on the team when things got bad -he is like santonio holmes-he had his moment in the sun and blew it-he thought he was bigger than the game

I quit baseball when I was in high school, I was good, but I hit a point where I just couldn't agree with the politics of it. I still love baseball. I regret walking away. I'd kill for a chance to play again, at that level. 

At the considerable risk of aligning with SAR here I for one would wish him well and suggest that the door not hit him in the ass on the way out.

We have had the drama queen stuff (I am leaving and never coming back).  OK fair enough.  You get to make that speech once.

Once only.

SAR comes off as such a miserable little worm.

I've always thought that Ed was a big of a narcissist that I could do without.  But, there's no denying that there's nobody who leads the chant better than he does (I don't quite get why, it's not that hard to do, but whatever.)  And, unlike Mr. Miserable would have you believe, the chant, and the noise, and the atmosphere, matter a lot to the players and to the game.

SAR comes off as such a miserable little worm.

I've always thought that Ed was a big of a narcissist that I could do without.  But, there's no denying that there's nobody who leads the chant better than he does (I don't quite get why, it's not that hard to do, but whatever.)  And, unlike Mr. Miserable would have you believe, the chant, and the noise, and the atmosphere, matter a lot to the players and to the game.

Response in the other thread.

SAR I

the fact that their are people who want to rip this guy is a real sad indictment of their character ... does it really matter if the guy gets some props ?

If you think Ed is a self-serving ass who lived in the limelight for years and took a huge sh*t on the fans and the team when one person ragged on him in the restroom then maybe it does matter. It's not like he was just another fan in the stadium. He was a celebrity among fans.

By now we all think the way we think about him and apparently his time is as a superfan is done. Regardless of one's thoughts about Ed it's difficult to argue that lots of fans were glad to see him back, if only because it came with the feeling that we were finally past the stench of the post-buttfumble circus. Either the team or some fans will develop a new and successful replacement.

I quit baseball when I was in high school, I was good, but I hit a point where I just couldn't agree with the politics of it. I still love baseball. I regret walking away. I'd kill for a chance to play again, at that level. 

Try taking up softball. You can re-live your glory days AND drink beer in the field!

Archived