We missed Powell & Enunwa

Jetster

Every team needs stars but a complete team needs complimentary players that do some dirty work without complaining. When everyone was crushing Powell as a JAG no one knew the extent of his bad ankle, obviously he lost his burst but seems to be healthy again. I've always likened Bilal to Kevin Faulk when he was with the Patriots. An under the radar guy that doesn't do any one thing great but does a lot of things very well. His pass blocking is excellent. We missed Enunwa during his 4 game suspension, again he does that dirty work, sealing an edge, blocking downfield & he had a huge 23 yard catch on 3rd down. I think he's gonna only get better as a receiver & he's got Anquan Boldin like strength & size. Go Jets!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats why I have tried to be patient with this years team. Any team can go out and spend money - but it takes a good coach, front office and time to build the necessary depth to win consistently. Powell and Enunwa are two of many guys that are getting better and adding depth to the team.

I've been guilty of underrating Powell in the past. He looked fantastic yesterday - haven't always seen that burst from him but if he can stay healthy he can be a very valuable piece. Pass blocking has always been great, just hasn't always looked that good with the ball in his hands. Know he has a history of coming on late and really becoming a quality player. Believe he's had a tough history as well so nice to root for him.

Enunwa I liked coming out (at least as a 6th round pick). He's a weird case in that he'll drop easy uncontested passes but occasionally snatch the ball out of the air and make a nice hands catch. Very physically talented (height/strength/straight line speed) although he's not a great stop/start guy. Wonder if they're able to get him loose downfield once since he does so much blocking and short to intermediate stuff. Hopefully he's picking things up from Marshall and Decker this year. Getting playing time reasonably early in his career has to be valuable as well. 

A little off topic and I know it's not Fitzpatrick's game, but I'd love to see us hit Smith deep once this year.

Bilal is awesome this year.  Been saying it since we first got a glimpse of him in the preseason.  Idk what he did in the offseason, but he is noticeably faster.

I like Powell also and he had a fine game yesterday.. But how is a player that has 196 yds rushing 3.6 ypc and no tds awesome?? Yes he does have a td on 30 catches but is that really awesome??:)

I like Powell also and he had a fine game yesterday.. But how is a player that has 196 yds rushing 3.6 ypc and no tds awesome?? Yes he does have a td on 30 catches but is that really awesome??:)

I was going to say this.  He had a nice game rushing in the opener and a nice game receiving yesterday, but he has never been "awesome" except maybe that game against Buffalo in 2013.  That is the reason these guys cause so much debate around here.  They are "JAG"s but they are also useful pieces to the team.  When their places are being taken by Kellen Davis and Zac Stacy/Stevan Ridley, you tend to miss a JAG that can provide an adequate performance.   I don't think either is awesome, but the Jets do need more guys like them to fill out the roster. 

I was going to say this.  He had a nice game rushing in the opener and a nice game receiving yesterday, but he has never been "awesome" except maybe that game against Buffalo in 2013.  That is the reason these guys cause so much debate around here.  They are "JAG"s but they are also useful pieces to the team.  When their places are being taken by Kellen Davis and Zac Stacy/Stevan Ridley, you tend to miss a JAG that can provide an adequate performance.   I don't think either is awesome, but the Jets do need more guys like them to fill out the roster. 

I agree JAG play matters..:)

JAG means that anybody can replace them.  So, I would say that Kellen Davis, Zac Stacy and Ridley are JAGs on this team.  But, Powell is sometimes the spark that ignites the offense.  Clearly other JAGs cannot do this, or Stacy/Ridley would be doing it.  I don't think he is 'awesome' or an every down back, but what he contributed yesterday is way more than just another guy.   He doesn't get a lot of touches (and has been hurt) so his yearly numbers are not great. He also does things that don't show up in (or are not obvious) in the stats.

His screen plays were effective enough to slow down the Giants pass rush.  He also got us a few critical 1st downs, half of our TDs and he is a very good pass protector.  The OP said we missed him, which I think we did.  Normally, when Ivory is out (not sure why yesterday) we are dead on runs.  He played a good game and contributed nicely.  Doesn't make him awesome; doesn't make him a JAG either.

What does BB do so well?  He puts role players in a situation to succeed. 

What can Powell do well?  He is a really good pass blocker, with decent hands who can pick up a 1st down.  He's a useful player, and I'm glad he's back. 

JAG means that anybody can replace them.  So, I would say that Kellen Davis, Zac Stacy and Ridley are JAGs on this team.  But, Powell is sometimes the spark that ignites the offense.  Clearly other JAGs cannot do this, or Stacy/Ridley would be doing it.  I don't think he is 'awesome' or an every down back, but what he contributed yesterday is way more than just another guy.   He doesn't get a lot of touches (and has been hurt) so his yearly numbers are not great. He also does things that don't show up in (or are not obvious) in the stats.

His screen plays were effective enough to slow down the Giants pass rush.  He also got us a few critical 1st downs, half of our TDs and he is a very good pass protector.  The OP said we missed him, which I think we did.  Normally, when Ivory is out (not sure why yesterday) we are dead on runs.  He played a good game and contributed nicely.  Doesn't make him awesome; doesn't make him a JAG either.

Eh.

It depends on your definition of Just Another Guy.  That is what Powell and Enunwa are.  NFL caliber players that are replacement level.  Of course there are worse players, but it isn't hard to replace them.  Is Austin Howard anything but a JAG?  I would say no, but replace him with Winters and see what happens.  I define it as guys that may be below average, but have a place on a team and can contribute.

What does BB do so well?  He puts role players in a situation to succeed. 

What can Powell do well?  He is a really good pass blocker, with decent hands who can pick up a 1st down.  He's a useful player, and I'm glad he's back. 

I agree totally.  To be a JAG (as I define it) in NFL terms is not an insult.  I totally agree that Powell is useful.  Enunwa too.  They are both willing to do the dirty work which I should not go unnoticed.

Eh.

It depends on your definition of Just Another Guy.  That is what Powell and Enunwa are.  NFL caliber players that are replacement level.  Of course there are worse players, but it isn't hard to replace them.  Is Austin Howard anything but a JAG?  I would say no, but replace him with Winters and see what happens.  I define it as guys that may be below average, but have a place on a team and can contribute.

I agree totally.  To be a JAG (as I define it) in NFL terms is not an insult.  I totally agree that Powell is useful.  Enunwa too.  They are both willing to do the dirty work which I should not go unnoticed.

If you define a JAG as below average and replaceable (btw I agree with that definition); I would still say that Powell (still to early to tell for Enunwa) is not a JAG.  JAGs by nature are relatively anonymous.  Most fans don't know their name or number.  They are interchangeable.  Plug-in-play.  You don't notice them.  They are stocking stuffers, roster fillers.  They are either routinely healthy scratches or play only on ST or when there is a depth/health issue.  If you release one, they are likely to be a JAG on another team.  They are still better than most of the college players and fill a need on teams.  When you call their name, you need them to perform.

All that being said, I think Powell is more of an average player than a JAG.  He isn't the primary RB, but adds his own talents to the team.  Point in fact, when he was hurt it was obvious that he wasn't there.  The other JAG RBs couldn't match his production.

If you define a JAG as below average and replaceable (btw I agree with that definition); I would still say that Powell (still to early to tell for Enunwa) is not a JAG.  JAGs by nature are relatively anonymous.  Most fans don't know their name or number.  They are interchangeable.  Plug-in-play.  You don't notice them.  They are stocking stuffers, roster fillers.  They are either routinely healthy scratches or play only on ST or when there is a depth/health issue.  If you release one, they are likely to be a JAG on another team.  They are still better than most of the college players and fill a need on teams.  When you call their name, you need them to perform.

All that being said, I think Powell is more of an average player than a JAG.  He isn't the primary RB, but adds his own talents to the team.  Point in fact, when he was hurt it was obvious that he wasn't there.  The other JAG RBs couldn't match his production.

Yeah.  I go more towards average player.  You sound like you define it more as practice squad players.   I agree Powell may be slightly above JAG level, but IMO not too much.  FWIW, I know all their names.  JAGs and otherwise.  A good part of the board does.  I may be mistaken, but I think I know what all the JAGs can and cannot do.  All the Rontez Miles, Julian Howshare, Jermaine Cunningham (before the arrest)  and Ricky Sapp.  I knew Woodhead's name from when they first signed him,  towhen he blew out his knee, to when he sucked ass on kickoff coverage, all the way until they cut him and became monumentally overrated around here.

He's awesome because he provides an offensive dynamic that we haven't had in a few years - a dynamic pass catcher out of the backfield.  He's also awesome because compared to his past few seasons of mediocrity, he's gotten much faster and is a much bigger contributor to the offense.

Hes not a scrub but he's no better than lots of RBs in the league, the kind of back that every team has.  

He's awesome because he provides an offensive dynamic that we haven't had in a few years - a dynamic pass catcher out of the backfield.  He's also awesome because compared to his past few seasons of mediocrity, he's gotten much faster and is a much bigger contributor to the offense.

Yep that 1 td this year is awesome.. Is he a good contributing player when healthy?? Yes but I guess I have a different definition for awesome then some do..

Yeah.  I go more towards average player.  You sound like you define it more as practice squad players.   I agree Powell may be slightly above JAG level, but IMO not too much.  FWIW, I know all their names.  JAGs and otherwise.  A good part of the board does.  I may be mistaken, but I think I know what all the JAGs can and cannot do.  All the Rontez Miles, Julian Howshare, Jermaine Cunningham (before the arrest)  and Ricky Sapp.  I knew Woodhead's name from when they first signed him,  towhen he blew out his knee, to when he sucked ass on kickoff coverage, all the way until they cut him and became monumentally overrated around here.

I would say he is average (maybe slightly above or slightly below); every team needs these players.

I view practice squad players as not quite a JAQ, but with potential - or are raw.

I would say that Walls (I know a lot of people feel differently) is a JAG.  He did a fine job at his position considering who he is, but if we lost him, we would find another replacement just a good (or about the same).  That is why I was wondering why McDoogle or Milliner hasn't gotten more playing time.  I think we know what Walls is, but the others may or may not have the ability to be more.

Either way, I think we are splitting hairs.  We may know their names, but most fans (not on this site) probably don't.  I don't think he is awesome, or a scrub. Glad he is on the team and is healthy.

I would say he is average (maybe slightly above or slightly below); every team needs these players.

I view practice squad players as not quite a JAQ, but with potential - or are raw.

I would say that Walls (I know a lot of people feel differently) is a JAG.  He did a fine job at his position considering who he is, but if we lost him, we would find another replacement just a good (or about the same).  That is why I was wondering why McDoogle or Milliner hasn't gotten more playing time.  I think we know what Walls is, but the others may or may not have the ability to be more.

Either way, I think we are splitting hairs.  We may know their names, but most fans (not on this site) probably don't.  I don't think he is awesome, or a scrub. Glad he is on the team and is healthy.

Adrian Peterson is pretty good however Bilal Powell is awesome that seems to be the thinking of some here..:)

Not everything is about what he does when the ball goes to him. He's been pretty good at picking up the blitz when he's been health, which has helped our offense get out of some sh*tty 3rd downs. He's exactly what you want in a role player. He does his job.

I find Jet fans that expect every roster spot to be filled by a household name tiresome and unoriginal. 

Not everything is about what he does when the ball goes to him. He's been pretty good at picking up the blitz when he's been health, which has helped our offense get out of some sh*tty 3rd downs. He's exactly what you want in a role player. He does his job.

I find Jet fans that expect every roster spot to be filled by a household name tiresome and unoriginal. 

I agree I like Powell a lot and thought he was wasted last year when we had CJ2K.. He's a fine change of pace back, receiver and a very good blocking back.. That's said he's still not awesome... The Ape is awesome Powell not as much..;)

Bilal is awesome this year.  Been saying it since we first got a glimpse of him in the preseason.  Idk what he did in the offseason, but he is noticeably faster.

I've always been a Powell fan.  He does it all well.  It's almost like he's got a different gear this season.

If Quincy actually starts consistently catching the ball he'd be a hell of a player.  Really hoping he can put it together soon. 

He's a goofy looking pass catcher.  Just doesnt seem to catch anything well and his blocking is sub-par when they use him in the run game.  He's someone that they should be able to upgrade next season.  He just looks like a limited player.  Amaro probably can play his role well.  Much better than he can as a traditional TE. 

I've always been a Powell fan.  He does it all well.  It's almost like he's got a different gear this season.

He's a goofy looking pass catcher.  Just doesnt seem to catch anything well and his blocking is sub-par when they use him in the run game.  He's someone that they should be able to upgrade next season.  He just looks like a limited player.  Amaro probably can play his role well.  Much better than he can as a traditional TE. 

I don't know if I agree with you man.  I think at this point we've put a lot of development into Quincy.  Amaro was listed as a #3 TE, I just don't think these coaches like him at all.  Quincy is a big dude with decent speed and blocks like a beast.  I feel like they have been putting a lot of work into developing him, I'd hate to see that all pay off for another team.  I think over time he can become a good pass receiver. 

And by the way, watch out in our pick 'em league, I'm creeping up for you hahaha!

I don't know if I agree with you man.  I think at this point we've put a lot of development into Quincy.  Amaro was listed as a #3 TE, I just don't think these coaches like him at all.  Quincy is a big dude with decent speed and blocks like a beast.  I feel like they have been putting a lot of work into developing him, I'd hate to see that all pay off for another team.  I think over time he can become a good pass receiver. 

And by the way, watch out in our pick 'em league, I'm creeping up for you hahaha!

Hope you're right.  It's not what I see but I hope you're right.

Haha - I had a bad week and got passed.  Someone took over #1.  But we have the same record so I'm assuming they got closer to one of the tie breakers.  You're right there though.

Hope you're right.  It's not what I see but I hope you're right.

Haha - I had a bad week and got passed.  Someone took over #1.  But we have the same record so I'm assuming they got closer to one of the tie breakers.  You're right there though.

Yeah I had the lead for a week and then proceeded to drop my worst week ever the following week.  I completely forgot to get my picks in on time Thanksgiving, so I missed out on the DET win, I would've picked them.  Watch I lose by one game lol.  Still trying to figure out who the MeMore dude is. 

I agree I like Powell a lot and thought he was wasted last year when we had CJ2K.. He's a fine change of pace back, receiver and a very good blocking back.. That's said he's still not awesome... The Ape is awesome Powell not as much..;)

I think he's awesome. 

Praise like that is subjective and contextual. He's awesome at doing his job. What you're getting hung up on is that doing what Adrian Peterson does is not Bilal Powell's job. It's very rational to say that both of them are awesome, if you consider what each of their disparate roles are. 

You're right about one thing though. I am ******* awesome.

Archived