Do People Realize ...

KRL

How bad CAR was last year???  They finished up 7-8-1 but they were 3-8-1
before winning their last four.  There were rumors about Rivera losing his
job and Newton almost lost his life in a car crash:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/schedule/_/name/car/year/2014

Then to start off this year they lost their best/only playmaker (Benjamin)
during training camp.  Who in the world would have thought they would end
up 15-1 and in the SB.  Amazing how things can change very quickly in the
league

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty remarkable.  I remember cursing them for not bringing in a veteran receiver, like Reggie Wayne, to help with their WR issues. 

But this an old school built team. They play great D and they can run on anyone.  They win the trenches.  Couple that with the fact that Cam has turned into a monster in the pocket and matured more than any QB I've ever seen in one offseason and still has all that ability outside the pocket, he's the toughest QB to defend in the league.  Hands down. 

Newton is better. His WR's for the most part can't start in the NFL

agree, he has more intangibles.  my brother played against culpepper in FL Div semis his senior year as a DL.  He said when he hit culpepper it was like hitting a telephone pole.

What's crazy, KRL, is that the Panthers are 22-2 in their last 24 games.  From that dreadful start, as you mention, to now is remarkable.  I put it squarely on Cam.  He's been that good.  I think their GM did a poor job, but a great QB masks it.

As to comparisons, McNabb doesn't fit because McNabb was never as powerful or elusive.  The best comparison for me was a pre-knee injury Cunningham.  The size, elusiveness, arm strength and intangibles are on par.

Pretty remarkable.  I remember cursing them for not bringing in a veteran receiver, like Reggie Wayne, to help with their WR issues. 

But this an old school built team. They play great D and they can run on anyone.  They win the trenches.  Couple that with the fact that Cam has turned into a monster in the pocket and matured more than any QB I've ever seen in one offseason and still has all that ability outside the pocket, he's the toughest QB to defend in the league.  Hands down. 

Still shocking just how big and strong he his.  Glad he is turning out to be a baller.  My son runs around yelling, CAM whenever he does something.  So funny

What's crazy, KRL, is that the Panthers are 22-2 in their last 24 games.  From that dreadful start, as you mention, to now is remarkable.  I put it squarely on Cam.  He's been that good.  I think their GM did a poor job, but a great QB masks it.

As to comparisons, McNabb doesn't fit because McNabb was never as powerful or elusive.  The best comparison for me was a pre-knee injury Cunningham.  The size, elusiveness, arm strength and intangibles are on par.

Wasnt Cunningham a bit slighter though? I thought maybe a quicker Elway

I don't think their GM did a bad job at all.  They can run on anyone.  Their O Line is excellent.  Their D line is really good, and they have some really good LB's.

Their WR are ok, but if  you watch, Tedd Ginn Jr has finally turned into a pretty good playmaker, and Olson is a stud at TE.  

Cam is different then Cunningham.  Much, much thicker.  He's built kinda like Culpeppar, but is now much better.

Wasnt Cunningham a bit slighter though? I thought maybe a quicker Elway

Cunningham was 6'4", but he was lighter than Cam, like you mentioned.  If Cam played in 1980s like Cunningham he'd have been a defensive end.

I don't think their GM did a bad job at all.  They can run on anyone.  Their O Line is excellent.  Their D line is really good, and they have some really good LB's.

Their WR are ok, but if  you watch, Tedd Ginn Jr has finally turned into a pretty good playmaker, and Olson is a stud at TE.  

Cam is different then Cunningham.  Much, much thicker.  He's built kinda like Culpeppar, but is now much better.

I was mainly talking about the receiving corps besides Olson.  The D has been good for awhile.

Have to disagree that this is an old school team....Cam is a very modern and monster QB, and their D finished second in the league against the pass with their best player being a CB.

Revis...Norman...Sherman....Anyone else notice that the best defensive players on some loaded SB defenses have been CBs lately?

Personally I think Norman is a bit overrated. Their defense as a whole is very good, he just happens to be the loudest, and gets the most attention 

Archived