Do People Realize ...

KRL

Pretty remarkable.  I remember cursing them for not bringing in a veteran receiver, like Reggie Wayne, to help with their WR issues. 

But this an old school built team. They play great D and they can run on anyone.  They win the trenches.  Couple that with the fact that Cam has turned into a monster in the pocket and matured more than any QB I've ever seen in one offseason and still has all that ability outside the pocket, he's the toughest QB to defend in the league.  Hands down. 

i think it has everything to do with cam and only some to do with everything else.  If they didn't have cam they'd be a 4 win team.  

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think it has everything to do with cam and only some to do with everything else.  If they didn't have cam they'd be a 4 win team.  

I dunno... that defense is legit. I think they'd be a hair better than 4 wins... but point taken, and agreed... Cam makes them elite.

What's crazy, KRL, is that the Panthers are 22-2 in their last 24 games.  From that dreadful start, as you mention, to now is remarkable.  I put it squarely on Cam.  He's been that good.  I think their GM did a poor job, but a great QB masks it.

As to comparisons, McNabb doesn't fit because McNabb was never as powerful or elusive.  The best comparison for me was a pre-knee injury Cunningham.  The size, elusiveness, arm strength and intangibles are on par.

Other comparisons I'd make: Steve McNair, Daunte Culpepper, Warren Moon, and Quincy Carter. He's also got some Doug Williams and Kordell Stewart in him.

How bad CAR was last year???  They finished up 7-8-1 but they were 3-8-1
before winning their last four.  There were rumors about Rivera losing his
job and Newton almost lost his life in a car crash:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/schedule/_/name/car/year/2014

Then to start off this year they lost their best/only playmaker (Benjamin)
during training camp.  Who in the world would have thought they would end
up 15-1 and in the SB.  Amazing how things can change very quickly in the
league

I remember Newton broke his back in that crash and thinking he'd never be the same.  The guy is an absolute freak of nature to come back this strong.  I'm not really a fan of Newton but I recognize his greatness.  And I hope he beats Peyton (because I don't want to hear the announcers carrying on about how great he is).

Revis...Norman...Sherman....Anyone else notice that the best defensive players on some loaded SB defenses have been CBs lately?

Kuechly is far and away the best player on that defense and might very well be the best on the entire team. He does for that defense was Cam does for the offense.

Integrity is dead on. Cam flipping his ride was absolutely a turning point in his career. When things would not go his way he would have that 
Geno Smith" look at times like "Really?" Since then he has been nothing short of unbelievable. 

They are the quietest 15-1 team I have ever seen. First the those great giant killers the New York Giants were gonna end the streak, Then it was Seattle last week, and then yesterday to sit there and listen to Cowher, Boomer and Bart Scott all pick Arizona ? I was like "your kidding right ?" Did you all not see how Palmer played the week before against Green Bay.

It is going to be really interesting to see how Denver tries to defense Cam. Even more interesting is going to be how Carolina attacks that Denver defense.

Revis...Norman...Sherman....Anyone else notice that the best defensive players on some loaded SB defenses have been CBs lately?

Kuechly is far and away the best player on that defense and might very well be the best on the entire team. He does for that defense was Cam does for the offense.

Integrity is dead on. Cam flipping his ride was absolutely a turning point in his career. When things would not go his way he would have that 
Geno Smith" look at times like "Really?" Since then he has been nothing short of unbelievable. 

They are the quietest 15-1 team I have ever seen. First the those great giant killers the New York Giants were gonna end the streak, Then it was Seattle last week, and then yesterday to sit there and listen to Cowher, Boomer and Bart Scott all pick Arizona ? I was like "your kidding right ?" Did you all not see how Palmer played the week before against Green Bay.

It is going to be really interesting to see how Denver tries to defense Cam. Even more interesting is going to be how Carolina attacks that Denver defense.

Other comparisons I'd make: Steve McNair, Daunte Culpepper, Warren Moon, and Quincy Carter. He's also got some Doug Williams and Kordell Stewart in him.

LOL. You forgot Vince Young, Mike Vick and Russell Wilson

As crazy as it sounds, I'd compare Cam to LeBron in the sense that both are just gifted athletically that they can just impose their will against other professionals and dominate. 

Hopefully Newton shows up for this big game, unlike LeBron

Have to disagree that this is an old school team....Cam is a very modern and monster QB, and their D finished second in the league against the pass with their best player being a CB.

Cam being an athletic freak doesnt change the fact they're an old school team (and if you really want to go old school, QB's use to be mobile and they could run and throw :) ). They're the only team in the league who ran the ball more than threw it.  They're built inside out.  While Norman is having a nice season, it's all about their front 7 and Luke Keuchley.  Norman has a little more work to do before I'm calling him a better player than Luke.  They have a dominate OL and a dominate DL.  They've largely ignored the skills position.  They run the ball and stop the run.  They're as old school as it gets, brother.  

Cam is unreal but that OL and front 7 are the truth.  They can run on anyone and nobody can run on them.  I think with a game manager, they're still a very good team.  Cam being from another planet just makes them the best team in the league. 

Hopefully Newton shows up for this big game, unlike LeBron

Oh a shot at Lebron!  lol  He laid it all out in the finals last year with a depleted team.  

Cam is beasting right now.  I don't mind mind the celebrations and all that extra stuff.  How could I?  Look at my avatar pic.    

How bad CAR was last year???  They finished up 7-8-1 but they were 3-8-1
before winning their last four.  There were rumors about Rivera losing his
job and Newton almost lost his life in a car crash:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/schedule/_/name/car/year/2014

Then to start off this year they lost their best/only playmaker (Benjamin)
during training camp.  Who in the world would have thought they would end
up 15-1 and in the SB.  Amazing how things can change very quickly in the
league

Of course, they have a #1 pick QB in his 5th season. I think it is very encouraging for the Jets, but we likely won't have such a QB on our roster for a while and wouldn't likely give him the 5 years to grow :-)

We can make it without a #1 pick QB, but it will be harder.

Cam being an athletic freak doesnt change the fact they're an old school team (and if you really want to go old school, QB's use to be mobile and they could run and throw :) ). They're the only team in the league who ran the ball more than threw it.  They're built inside out.  While Norman is having a nice season, it's all about their front 7 and Luke Keuchley.  Norman has a little more work to do before I'm calling him a better player than Luke.  They have a dominate OL and a dominate DL.  They've largely ignored the skills position.  They run the ball and stop the run.  They're as old school as it gets, brother.  

Cam is unreal but that OL and front 7 are the truth.  They can run on anyone and nobody can run on them.  I think with a game manager, they're still a very good team.  Cam being from another planet just makes them the best team in the league. 

yup, they're old school but that isn't why they're winning.  They're winning because of cam.  If their defense was truly old school they wouldn't have nearly blown 3 huge leads late in the second half.  

It's all about Cam. If you run the zone read in the NFL and actually let your QB run, it's extremely rare and dangerous. Cam Newton is built like a TE he can actually carry the ball and not get brutalized. He's a franchise caliber player and fitting of his 1 overall draft selection.  the other parts of the team like OL and front 7 and even Luke are nice supplemental pieces but without Cam it all falls apart. 

The qb changes everything

cam was hurt last year, this year it all clicked

man we need a qb to build around...

Just looking at the final four teams, 3 of them had a #1 overall pick at QB and the other was Tom "cheater" Brady. 

We spend all the time and energy talking about Mo Wilkerson or the pass rushers or cutting Brick but that's all side dish. The QB is the main dish and even with Fitz the Jets are not truly a contender. You need to have one of these franchise players or don't even bother getting your hopes up. 

Just looking at the final four teams, 3 of them had a #1 overall pick at QB and the other was Tom "cheater" Brady. 

We spend all the time and energy talking about Mo Wilkerson or the pass rushers or cutting Brick but that's all side dish. The QB is the main dish and even with Fitz the Jets are not truly a contender. You need to have one of these franchise players or don't even bother getting your hopes up. 

Agree, until we get one, we will have occasional playoff games. The Daltons', Alex Smiths', Fitzs' of the world can only take you so far. Do you see any franchise guys in this years draft?  Saw on NFL network that Dak Presscott looked good yesterday, and that MSU players bascically can't stand Connor Cook. That would send up a major red flag for me...sort of like the kid in the movie Draft Day.:D

Archived