Josh Gordon Reinstated By The League. Suspended 4 games.

Villain The Foe

Video in the link. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000676568/article/josh-gordon-to-be-reinstated-face-fourgame-suspension

Josh Gordon is back.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that the Cleveland Browns wide receiver will be reinstated after serving a four-game ban to start the year, per a source informed of the decision.

The NFL later confirmed the move, noting that while Gordon's reinstatement is conditional, he will be allowed to participate in training camp.

The 25-year-old pass-catcher met with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell last Wednesday after failing yet another drug test in March. He was slated to apply for reinstatement on Aug. 1, but Goodell chose to speed up the process. Gordon was initially suspended in February 2015 for violating the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse.

"As we discussed at our (July 19) meeting, as Commissioner, I want nothing more than to see you turn your circumstances around and succeed," Goodell stated in a letter to Gordon released by the NFL. "Countless others including your agent, teammates and coaches, Mr. Haslam and the leadership of the organization, the Program professionals and Jim Brown also have pledged to provide you with every resource at their disposal. But as you acknowledged, ultimately, your future is your responsibility. I have every belief that you can make the right choices, but it will be up to you to do so."

The oft-banned Gordon hasn't played in a game since December 2014. Now slated to return in Week 5 against the Patriots -- in the same game that will see Tom Brady take the field following his four-game suspension -- Gordon looms as the presumptive starter across from rookie wideout Corey Coleman.

Assuming Coleman blooms and Gordon returns to form, this wideout group has promise for the first time in years. New coach Hue Jackson also has a special pass-catcher in young running back Duke Johnson, but nobody on the roster can match Gordon's unique physical gifts. It feels like a century ago, but he's just three years removed from leading the NFL in receiving yards despite playing just 14 games in 2013.

Browns fans might finally have some fun watching this team on offense if -- and it remains a big "if" -- Gordon can stay out of trouble and contribute to a passing game desperately in need of playmakers.

Wow, this is pretty surprising.  How does he only end up with a 4-game ban after like 10 failed tests?  He should consider himself very lucky, I figured he was pretty much out of the league for good after that last one.  I have to imagine this is his very last chance though, will be interesting to see what he does with it.

Hopefully he makes it. And I like Roger's positive message. I'm interested too in seeing how RG3 plays. And if he can resurrect his career. But I think Hue Jackson likes Cody Kessler, too. He was a surprise pick but they like him as a competent game manager. I think his lack of picks and good turnover ratio at USC stoked their interest. We'll see how long it takes him to learn the offense. 

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Wow, this is pretty surprising.  How does he only end up with a 4-game ban after like 10 failed tests?  He should consider himself very lucky, I figured he was pretty much out of the league for good after that last one.  I have to imagine this is his very last chance though, will be interesting to see what he does with it.

I think the league wants to move on from hard weed penalties.  It's outdated and very clearly makes them look like even bigger idiots and hypocrites than they already are.  Even a moron like Le'Veon Bell might see his suspension reduced from 4 games down to 1-2 pretty soon.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think the league wants to move on from hard weed penalties.  It's outdated and very clearly makes them look like even bigger idiots and hypocrites than they already are.  Even a moron like Le'Veon Bell might see his suspension reduced from 4 games down to 1-2 pretty soon.

While I would certainly get that, it's the second example you gave which is what makes it much more questionable that they'd first make such a change with one of the biggest dipsh*ts the league has ever seen.  At this point you would think that they almost have to reduce Bell's suspension for the simple fact that there's no way to justify how a guy who was on an indefinite suspension and failed yet another test gets the same penalty.  It's the same length of suspension that Richardson dealt with last year, who while a dipsh*t himself, is quite far away from Gordon's track record.  It seems like a very random and arbitrary time to make the change, for the least-deserving person.

In the end I don't really give a crap mind you, but it just seems oddly done/time, and even more questionable if it's not the start of a more permanent change.

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Especially since there's been implications that CBD can be effective in treating and managing concussions and pain from nerve damage, the NFL would be smart to explore the possibility of medical treatment as it becomes mainstream 

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

You mean like besides missing the entire season last year?

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest it might have something to do with the fact that the guy has superstar level abilities. Doesn't hurt that his entire organization seems to be behind him, too, but no way does an average level player get this many chances in Goodell's NFL. 

48 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I'm not sure what your point is, considering he failed yet another test after that, which is what this suspension is related to.

He was suspended indefinitely, which means no timetable was provided. He was eligible for reinstatement early this year. He failed a drug test but his marijuana levels were within the NFL limits. NFL waited on him for a few more months to apply for reinstatement and 4 wks conditional suspension was handed. If he goes to trial, Im sure he'll be cleared since his marijuana levels were within limits, albeit diluted ones.

Either way, NFL needs to come out with a permanent solution.

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They also need to get away from banning players from the facility for certain bannings.

I do not see why you would want to keep a player like Gordon away from his teammates.  Granted, some are probably enabling his behavior, but why not let some veterans try to mentor him and get him where he needs to be.

3 hours ago, slats said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest it might have something to do with the fact that the guy has superstar level abilities. Doesn't hurt that his entire organization seems to be behind him, too, but no way does an average level player get this many chances in Goodell's NFL. 

Justin Blackmon is a pretty talented guy...

I love how the NFL is trolling the Pats. Take away some picks, suspend Brady 4 games, have Gordon back for week 5 against the Pats. I know everyone will think that is an easy win, but it's tough for a QB like Brady to miss 4 weeks of practice and just come in and be as good as people expect from him. Gordon will also miss practice time, but he is a kind of talent that is able to produce at WR without needing as many reps as Brady. You can work on a few routes with Gordon, but Brady needs to be sharp on every pass in the playbook. 

Pats will likely win the game, but the NFL has just made it a little bit harder. The cheaters are finally getting their comeuppance. 

7 hours ago, slats said:

To be honest Gordon's last violation was BS anyway. The NFL had a ridiculously low threshold for testing (15 ng/ml as opposed to MLB which has 50 and olympic blood testing at 150) which is such a minute level that you could reasonably claim it's a result of second hand exposure. They actually changed the rule in the offseason, raising the levels to 35 ng/ml (Gordon's sample tested at 16) so he got off on a technicality since the suspension came before the rule change

2 hours ago, cant wait said:

I probably wouldn't start thinking until round 5 depending on how I'm doing at WR

Yeah- QB is shaky, he'll be rusty as hell but he's still somehow only 25! 

I could actually keep him in my dynasty league but I'd have to give up Eifert who is hurt- I know Eifert is the smart keep but Josh Gordon's upside is making it tough.

Archived