New Kiper Mock has us taking.....

Stark

Just for discussion, but the more I see Fournette the more I like it.

1. Cleveland Browns, 1-15

Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M*

2. San Francisco 49ers, 2-14

Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina*

3. Chicago Bears, 3-13

Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama

4. Jacksonville Jaguars, 3-13

Jamal Adams, S, LSU*

5. Tennessee Titans, 9-7 (from Rams)

Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State**

nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

6. New York Jets, 5-11

Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU*

"Wait ... what?" I can hear you. Let me explain. The Jets do have a QB problem to solve, but that seems more likely to come in free agency after they took a QB in Round 2 just last year. They could also draft a defender here, but the top cornerback is off the board. So why Fournette? For one, if they truly go with the best player available here, there's a real chance it's him, just as Ezekiel Elliott was for Dallas at No. 4 last year. Secondly, they know they can get a ton of reps from Fournette right now, and this is a team that needs to be better.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The jets do need plug and play players. I just fear that Fournette isn't going to be nearly as impact-full in the NFL as he was in college. Everyone is faster, bigger and hits harder, I could be way off I just do not see him being an all pro rb, probably just a decent one.

The only job better than being a weather man, is being an ESPN NFL draft analyst. No other jobs in the world allow you to make one wild guess after another, be wrong constantly, and actually thrive in your chosen career the way these two gigs do.

Well, perhaps politician, but that's too incendiary for a Wednesday morning.

2 minutes ago, jdeacon said:

The jets do need plug and play players. I just fear that Fournette isn't going to be nearly as impact-full in the NFL as he was in college. Everyone is faster, bigger and hits harder, I could be way off I just do not see him being an all pro rb, probably just a decent one.

it is always possible, but he didn't have a very good offensive line at LSU. Everyone is faster, bigger, and hits harder... but he would have bigger, faster, better players to block for him. My thoughts are he is more likely to be a good RB, not sure about all pro but probably close.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

The only job better than being a weather man, is being an ESPN NFL draft analyst. No other jobs in the world allow you to make one wild guess after another, be wrong constantly, and actually thrive in your chosen career the way these two gigs do.

haha... yeah this is true. 

Gross.  I really dont like a RB at #6.  Just doesnt make sense to me.

On a side note, I think it's interesting he has Adams ahead of Hooker.  I've been saying it here a lot lately but Hooker being a 1 year wonder is nerve racking taking him that high.  If S was the pick, I'd prefer Adams.  Adams has been balling for 3 years, playing twice the level of competition.  The dude has been compared to some really good safeties. 

There's been plenty of discussions around here on numerous occasions about the question of whether particular positions are truly worth a first round pick, nevermind a high first-rounder.  While I'm not as extreme about it as others regarding some of the positions, RB is one that just I think has been pointless to spend such a high pick on for a long, long time now.  It's the position with the shortest shelf-life, has a tendency to have at least decent quality readily available for cheap, is at far less of a premium than it used to be, and can often live or die by the five guys in front of him.  As much love as Elliott got for last year, just look at all over the other nobodies Dallas was plugging in behind that OL in the years prior and getting great return from.  Was Elliott ultimately better than them?  Of course, but was the difference significant enough to justify such a high pick at the position?  I still don't think so.  Quite frankly, if the Cowboys hadn't gotten lucky with how Prescott panned out for them, I have a funny feeling that pick wouldn't get nearly as much praise as it does right now.

In the case of Dallas, they were also able to get away with it because they had a solid enough team already built all around (and then stepped in sh*t with Dak).  When you have got the kind of mess the Jets do, it's a whole different story.  While I certainly believe in the concept of BPA, there is also a certain degree of value that comes along with which player is considered the "best", and the value of RB continues to plummet.  It pretty much only beats out kicker, punter, and FB when you really break it all down.

9 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

There's been plenty of discussions around here on numerous occasions about the question of whether particular positions are truly worth a first round pick, nevermind a high first-rounder.  While I'm not as extreme about it as others regarding some of the positions, RB is one that just I think has been pointless to spend such a high pick on for a long, long time now.  It's the position with the shortest shelf-life, has a tendency to have at least decent quality readily available for cheap, is at far less of a premium than it used to be, and can often live or die by the five guys in front of him.  As much love as Elliott got for last year, just look at all over the other nobodies Dallas was plugging in behind that OL in the years prior and getting great return from.  Was Elliott ultimately better than them?  Of course, but was the difference significant enough to justify such a high pick at the position?  I still don't think so.  Quite frankly, if the Cowboys hadn't gotten lucky with how Prescott panned out for them, I have a funny feeling that pick wouldn't get nearly as much praise as it does right now.

In the case of Dallas, they were also able to get away with it because they had a solid enough team already built all around (and then stepped in sh*t with Dak).  When you have got the kind of mess the Jets do, it's a whole different story.  While I certainly believe in the concept of BPA, there is also a certain degree of value that comes along with which player is considered the "best", and the value of RB continues to plummet.  It pretty much only beats out kicker, punter, and FB when you really break it all down.

100% - no question about it.  As I've stated before, in the long run, do you think the Cowboys would be better off with Jalen Ramsey or Zeke?  I think the answer is easy.

We need playmakers, speed, impact players and every single cliché one could think of. I do not know much about Fournette, but if he is anywhere near as good as they say he will be, you have to take him if he is there. If they take another ILB I will slit my wrists.

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

Question.....you can have either Fornette or Mike Williams at #6. Who will be more of an impact player?  I vote Williams.

I say Fournette.... the QB has to throw the ball to Williams, if it is a bad pass or not catchable then there is no potential impact for Williams.

the Qb only has to hand the ball off to Fournette, which is pretty simple, and they could also throw the ball to Fournette. 

IMO, the best pick for the Jets should be Ryan Ramczyk the LT from Wisconsin unless Trubisky falls to their pick . Yea, I know both are not considered the best player at that spot, but does anyone here now think that had the Cowboys taken Dax Prescott earlier, he would have been a mistake because he wasn't that highly ranked .   The Jets need a LT, and this kid by draft day will be ranked higher than he is today and he won't even perform drills to prove it . 

IMO, the best way to move forward is to continue to rebuild the OL unless that kid Trubisky sits there .   

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

Question.....you can have either Fournette or Mike Williams at #6. Who will be more of an impact player?  I vote Williams.

Williams, 100%.  That said, I cant imagine him getting past Tenn. but maybe Kiper knows something we dont?

16 minutes ago, JiF said:

100% - no question about it.  As I've stated before, in the long run, do you think the Cowboys would be better off with Jalen Ramsey or Zeke?  I think the answer is easy.

hard to say what the long term impact of elliot will be.  the cowboys have a smart front office and the team is pretty well established.  so they get elliot for 5 seasons and after that he's traded or released.  in the meantime they will have a very good run attack and not have to rely on prescott as he gets better at qb. they got good mileage out of dorsett and smith.  similarly the jets got good mileage out of martin.  but it doesn't make sense for the jets to draft a rb so highly right now.  interesting that trubisky is the second player taken and watson is still on the board.

Just now, T0mShane said:

What if Fournette is really good? 

How good?  This draft is loaded with RB's.  What if Cook is better?  What if Fournette is barely better than Kamara or McCaffery or Foreman who can probably be had in the 2nd round?  

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

hard to say what the long term impact of elliot will be.  the cowboys have a smart front office and the team is pretty well established.  so they get elliot for 5 seasons and after that he's traded or released.  in the meantime they will have a very good run attack and not have to rely on prescott as he gets better at qb. they got good mileage out of dorsett and smith.  similarly the jets got good mileage out of martin.  but it doesn't make sense for the jets to draft a rb so highly right now.  interesting that trubisky is the second player taken and watson is still on the board.

They would have had a very good run attack with Alfred Morris and McFadden.  What they couldnt do, was stop a single Green Bay WR in the playoffs.   You know who helps them stop the Packers passing attack?  Jalen Ramsey. 

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

How good?  This draft is loaded with RB's.  What if Cook is better?  What if Fournette is barely better than Kamara or McCaffery or Foreman who can probably be had in the 2nd round?  

What if Fournette turns out to be Adrian Peterson? What if Cook is worse? What if.....??? 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

They would have had a very good run attack with Alfred Morris and McFadden.  What they couldnt do, was stop a single Green Bay WR in the playoffs.   You know who helps them stop the Packers passing attack?  Jalen Ramsey. 

imo zeke puts the run game into an elite class.  for the nest 4 seasons the cowboys can probably bank on it.  and it will help prescott immensely.  i get your point about ramsey but even there, coming in as arookie it's hard to say if he would've matched up well against green bay.  down the road, probably. and now the cowboys can pick a decent cb in this draft.

57 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Politicians tend to flame out within a decade....tops.

Kiper's been getting it wildly wrong for going on 35 years now.

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

Here's a question,  ;   What exactly has the Vikings won with the Great Adrian Peterson  ?

lol. What did the Lions win with Calvin Johnson? What did the Vikings, Raiders, Patriots win with Randy Moss? What did the Cheifs win with Jamaal Charles? What did any team win without a good QB?

Archived