Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
C Mart

Panthers GM Gettleman Fired

135 posts in this topic

Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)

7/17/17, 12:27 PM

The #Panthers announced GM Dave Gettleman has been fired. Wow.

There had been rumblings that all was not well with Gettleman and owner Jerry Richardson stemming from allowing star CB Josh Norman to walk.

The timing is nuts. #Panthers people were all on vacation. GM Dave Gettleman returns… & finds himself as a former GM. Camp starts in a week

haha. Panthers don't even know about long term rebuilds from the ground up and stuff.

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Other teams fire GMs that would be in our Ring of Honor. 

Didn't he just rebuild a team that went 15-1 and made the super bowl?

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Didn't he just rebuild a team that went 15-1 and made the super bowl?

Drafting Cam Newton with the #1 pick only gets you so many years of goodwill i guess.

Just now, whodeawhodat said:

Drafting Cam Newton with the #1 pick only gets you so many years of goodwill i guess.

They had a good D, good running game, good tight end.   Just odd.  And, why let him do the draft and then get fired?   Odd.

Just now, chirorob said:

They had a good D, good running game, good tight end.   Just odd.  And, why let him do the draft and then get fired?   Odd.

The timing is very odd

1 minute ago, whodeawhodat said:

He wasn't in Carolina for Newton's pick 

Just now, C Mart said:

He wasn't in Carolina for Newton's pick 

wow did he start the year after, 2012? if so, he hasnt been stellar since 2012.

2012 NFL Draft[edit]

Round # Pick # Overall Pick # Player Position College
1 9 9 Luke Kuechly Linebacker Boston College
2 8 40 Amini Silatolu Guard Midwestern State
4 8 103 Frank Alexander Defensive End Oklahoma
4 9 104 Joe Adams Wide Receiver Arkansas
5 8 143 Josh Norman Cornerback Coastal Carolina
6 37 207 Brad Nortman Punter Wisconsin
7 9 216 D.J. Campbell Free Safety California

2013 NFL Draft[edit]

1 14 14 Star Lotulelei Defensive Tackle Utah
2 12 44 Kawann Short Defensive Tackle Purdue
4 11 108 Edmund Kugbila Offensive Guard Valdosta State
5 15 148 A.J. Klein Linebacker Iowa State
6 14 182 Kenjon Barner Running Back Oregon

2014 NFL Draft[edit]

1 28 28 Kelvin Benjamin Wide Receiver Florida State
2 28 60 Kony Ealy Defensive End Missouri
3 28 92 Trai Turner Offensive Guard LSU
4 28 128 Tre Boston Safety North Carolina
5 8 148 Bene Benwikere Cornerback San Jose State
6 28 204 Tyler Gaffney Running Back Stanford

2015 NFL Draft[edit]

1 25 25 Shaq Thompson Linebacker Washington
2 9 41 Devin Funchess Wide Receiver Michigan
4 3 102 Daryl Williams Offensive Tackle Oklahoma
4 33 169 David Mayo Linebacker Texas State
5 38 174 Cameron Artis-Payne Running Back Auburn

2016 NFL Draft[edit]

1 31 31 Vernon Butler Defensive Tackle LA Tech
2 31 62 James Bradberry Cornerback Samford
3 14 77 Daryl Worley Cornerback West Virginia
5 2 141 Zack Sanchez Cornerback Oklahoma
7 31 252 Beau Sandland Tight End Montana State

Thought Christian McCaffery was a reach at #8, I know a lot of people loved the pick and it may work out

Good. Another candidate to replace Macagnan in January

46 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

The timing is very odd

Lots of reasons why this could have happened at this time.

A sensible theory is that he was told he had to right the ship after last year and with TC about to start they are looking at a team they feel is no better off than last year. Dismissing him now gives an interim GM time to make some last minute FA activity and set up for next year's draft. 

Read somewhere that things started going south after he lost Norman and got nothing in return.

Panthers fire Dave Gettleman; DeAngelo Williams happy 'snake' out of job

Panthers fire GM; ex-players elated on Twitter

i?img=%2Fmedia%2Fmotion%2F2017%2F0717%2F

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Carolina Panthers have fired general manager Dave Gettleman effective immediately, the team announced Monday.

The move comes nine days before the Panthers are scheduled to report to training camp at Wofford College in Spartanburg, South Carolina.

The team offered no immediate reason for Gettleman's dismissal.

Gettleman parted ways with several of Carolina's all-time best players in wide receiver Steve Smith Sr., running back DeAngelo Williams and cornerback Josh Norman.

Williams, Smith, the Panthers' all-time leading wide receiver (12,197 yards), and Norman, who was released during the 2016 offseason after making the Pro Bowl in 2016, all responded to Gettleman's dismissal on Twitter.

Williams, currently a free agent, had recently told ESPN's Adam Schefter that there were four teams he would not consider playing for -- the Dallas CowboysJacksonville JaguarsCleveland Browns and the Panthers. Carolina apparently is now an option again in Williams' mind with Gettleman's firing.

The Panthers were 40-23-1 under Gettleman's leadership, making the playoffs each season from 2013 to 2015, with the general manager being instrumental in the Panthers' going 15-1 and reaching the Super Bowl during the 2015 season. But Carolina took a step back last season, going 6-10 and finishing last in the NFC South.

"After much thought and a long evaluation of our football operations, I have decided to relieve Dave Gettleman of his duties as general manager," team owner Jerry Richardson said in a statement. "I want to thank Dave for the role he played in our success over the past four seasons. While the timing of this decision is not ideal, a change is needed."

Only four teams -- the New England PatriotsSeattle SeahawksDenver Broncos and Green Bay Packers -- won more playoff games than the Panthers (three victories) did in Dave Gettleman's four seasons.

Whoever is hired to replace Gettleman will be the third general manager whom head coach Ron Rivera will have worked with, as he was already in his position when Gettleman was hired.

Gettleman has more than 30 years of NFL experience, mostly in scouting departments with the Buffalo BillsDenver Broncos and New York Giants.

19 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Lots of reasons why this could have happened at this time.

A sensible theory is that he was told he had to right the ship after last year and with TC about to start they are looking at a team they feel is no better off than last year. Dismissing him now gives an interim GM time to make some last minute FA activity and set up for next year's draft. 

If that was the case, wouldnt you do it before that draft? I have seen new GMs draft with previous GMs scouting depts but rarely see a GM get clipped during the time between the draft and TC.

I think the Jets need more smart people.

Hire Gettleman to be Head of Football Operations. He brought a team to the Super Bowl.   That's good enough for me.  Let him and Mac hash out draft picks.

Right now Macc gets to listen to Bowles, his coaches and Woody.  The Jets need another adult.

I said the same thing with Dorsey.

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

See NY Knicks, aka dysfunction

Really makes you appreciate the stability and success the Jets have had

Dorsey in KC and now Gettleman in CAR, football fans should realize the NFL sometimes
operates in weird ways.  It's not just a Jet thing

But wait I thought if your going to fire the GM you have to fire the coach. That's the way every team does it except for the Jets....

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Panthers fire Dave Gettleman; DeAngelo Williams happy 'snake' out of job

Panthers fire GM; ex-players elated on Twitter

i?img=%2Fmedia%2Fmotion%2F2017%2F0717%2F

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Carolina Panthers have fired general manager Dave Gettleman effective immediately, the team announced Monday.

The move comes nine days before the Panthers are scheduled to report to training camp at Wofford College in Spartanburg, South Carolina.

The team offered no immediate reason for Gettleman's dismissal.

Gettleman parted ways with several of Carolina's all-time best players in wide receiver Steve Smith Sr., running back DeAngelo Williams and cornerback Josh Norman.

Williams, Smith, the Panthers' all-time leading wide receiver (12,197 yards), and Norman, who was released during the 2016 offseason after making the Pro Bowl in 2016, all responded to Gettleman's dismissal on Twitter.

Williams, currently a free agent, had recently told ESPN's Adam Schefter that there were four teams he would not consider playing for -- the Dallas CowboysJacksonville JaguarsCleveland Browns and the Panthers. Carolina apparently is now an option again in Williams' mind with Gettleman's firing.

The Panthers were 40-23-1 under Gettleman's leadership, making the playoffs each season from 2013 to 2015, with the general manager being instrumental in the Panthers' going 15-1 and reaching the Super Bowl during the 2015 season. But Carolina took a step back last season, going 6-10 and finishing last in the NFC South.

"After much thought and a long evaluation of our football operations, I have decided to relieve Dave Gettleman of his duties as general manager," team owner Jerry Richardson said in a statement. "I want to thank Dave for the role he played in our success over the past four seasons. While the timing of this decision is not ideal, a change is needed."

Only four teams -- the New England PatriotsSeattle SeahawksDenver Broncos and Green Bay Packers -- won more playoff games than the Panthers (three victories) did in Dave Gettleman's four seasons.

Whoever is hired to replace Gettleman will be the third general manager whom head coach Ron Rivera will have worked with, as he was already in his position when Gettleman was hired.

Gettleman has more than 30 years of NFL experience, mostly in scouting departments with the Buffalo BillsDenver Broncos and New York Giants.

I love that this is posted right below ThaDude's post that says he should be a candidate to replace Mac.  It's just so....fitting.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I think the Jets need more smart people.

Hire Gettleman to be Head of Football Operations. He brought a team to the Super Bowl.   That's good enough for me.  Let him and Mac hash out draft picks.

Right now Macc gets to listen to Bowles, his coaches and Woody.  The Jets need another adult.

I said the same thing with Dorsey.

No. The pick (Newton) that was made before he got there dragged the lifeless corpse of a sh*t roster Gettleman put together by having an insane MVP season.  Then the team got worse because of Gettleman's stupid decisions and Newton couldn't replicate the ridiculous year he had before and the roster was exposed.  He's garbage.