Jets owner says Santonio will be back

Jetscode1

We're screwed...one thing wrose than an oevrconfident coach is a stupid owner.

Jets (for now) running back LaDainian Tomlinson thinks the team needs to figure out whether quarterback Mark Sanchez and receiver Santonio Holmes can coexist. If, in the end, one of them goes, it apparently won’t be Holmes.

Owner Woody Johnson tells Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News that Holmes will be back in 2012.

He may be one of the best players we’ve ever had,” Johnson said.

Look, I’m no billionaire businessman, but that doesn’t seem to be the best strategy for dealing with a guy who has made himself into a malcontent by wanting the ball more than he’s getting it — and by apparently taking it out on his quarterback. If anything, Holmes will feel empowered to be even more of a pain in the butt next season, since the guy who signs the checks says Santonio “may be one of the best players [the Jets have] ever had.”

The Jets owe Holmes $7.75 million in fully guaranteed base salary for 2012. If he’s on the roster as of March 14, they’ll owe him another fully guaranteed $7.5 million fully guaranteed base salary for 2013.

And here’s the portion of PFT Live from Thursday where I babbled for a few minutes about the mess the Jets currently are facing.

http://profootballta...o-will-be-back/

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone with experience in workplace dynamics/organizational psych provide some insight into what happens when management rewards aberrant, toxic behaviors? Thanks in advance.

Yes, because if there's one thing businesses always (and should) do, it's letting go of anyone that's a dick while completely ignoring any and all financial ramifications.

Yes, because if there's one thing businesses always (and should) do, it's letting go of anyone that's a dick while completely ignoring any and all financial ramifications.

There's a lot of gray area between releasing a dude and calling him potentially one of the best employees the organization's ever had, though. Perhaps Woodrow could have made good use of that space in this particular instance.

FTR, I didn't think they'd ever release him because of the coin but, damn Woody.

Really? That's your beef? That Woody ranked him too high on the all-time Jets list? Oh for shame. For shame indeed.

That is more of an indictment on the entire history of the organization.

Better wide receivers than Holmes, in quick order on the jets:

Maynard, Walker, Toon, Caster, Toon, Chrebet, K Johnson-Who else? He is basically a Coles and Moss type.

I think the reality is that we cutting him would cost too much against the cap.. haven't seen the update figures, but he just got a large signing bonus last year and if cut now, whats left of it would hit this years cap

Really? That's your beef? That Woody ranked him too high on the all-time Jets list? Oh for shame. For shame indeed.

I have many beefs, Doug. It's like a butcher shop up in this piece.

This particular beef has to do with awarding semi-effusive praise on a guy that it seems like the majority of the team wants to execute. While it's cool that Woody sounds like he's on board with hanging Sanchez out to dry, it's still dodgy to back a guy who openly quit on the team

I think the reality is that we cutting him would cost too much against the cap.. haven't seen the update figures, but he just got a large signing bonus last year and if cut now, whats left of it would hit this years cap

I could be wrong but I believe we are on the hook for $7million whether he is on the team or not next year

That is more of an indictment on the entire history of the organization.

Better wide receivers than Holmes, in quick order on the jets:

Maynard, Walker, Toon, Caster, Toon, Chrebet, K Johnson-Who else? He is basically a Coles and Moss type.

Toon was so good you listed him twice :lol: I didn't see Maynard much, but Walker was the best I've seen. He was amazing.

Good. There's really no reason to get rid of good players just because a bad player and a player who's not going to be on the team next year don't get along with him.

The problem is that he's essentially useless until the latter gets fixed. Holmes got paid fairly within his price bracket, but for this offense it was and is pointless.

There's a lot of gray area between releasing a dude and calling him potentially one of the best employees the organization's ever had, though. Perhaps Woodrow could have made good use of that space in this particular instance.

FTR, I didn't think they'd ever release him because of the coin but, damn Woody.

He was just taking a page from Rex's book. whenever some writer questions a players performance, Rex gets out the paintbrush and paints himself into a corner by overpraising some stiff.

Im going to assume Woody is trying to keep/drive up Santonio's value in a trade because otherwise..... :blink:

Exactly right. It's meant not to drop his value any further than it's already dropped while not disparaging him just in case they feel they can work with him next year. That's why it was the right thing to say.

There are times when some people, especially those of inherited wealth, need to

SHUT THE F___ UP.

In any organization nobody should be making this decision until all alternatives are explored. And discussing it in the media, as with the Schitty lie, is embarrassing.

There are times when some people, especially those of inherited wealth, need to

SHUT THE F___ UP.

In any organization nobody should be making this decision until all alternatives are explored. And discussing it in the media, as with the Schitty lie, is embarrassing.

This !

And :puke:

Good. There's really no reason to get rid of good players just because a bad player and a player who's not going to be on the team next year don't get along with him.

This. Plus the way Sanchez has played, as of right now, Holmes has a much better chance at still starting in 2013. Holmes is one of, if not the best, offensive skill player and Mark is arguably the worst. If anything get rid of Pick 6 and make number 10 happy.

Yep Woody’s right.

Holmes is definitely better then Walker, Toon, and Maynard.

Guess I’ll be switching to hockey early next year.

lmao good luck rooting for one of those NY area hockey teams

anyways, Holmes isn't even better than Cotchery.

This. Plus the way Sanchez has played, as of right now, Holmes has a much better chance at still starting in 2013. Holmes is one of, if not the best, offensive skill player and Mark is arguably the worst. If anything get rid of Pick 6 and make number 10 happy.

Quit acting like a ******* dinosaur and get a job.

What they should do IMO, is keep him. Start with a meeting between him and Rex. Rex will tell him the following:

I want you on this team and helping win a Super Bowl. You Are not a receiver, you are a professional football player. As a football player, you will do what your assignment is on every play. If you pull any BS like last season, you will be fined 1 game check for every incident. As a matter of fact, you pull any BS this season, you will be fined the game check and sitting your a$$ on the bench. I will not trade you, Either you act like a professional, or your career will be F*cked!!!! Now lets get a God Damned Snack!!!!

Archived