Mehta: Jets are interested LB Jarret Johnson

gsnts725

NY Jets are interested in Jarret Johnson, free-agent outside linebacker, who played six seasons under Rex Ryan with Baltimore Ravens

Three years after Rex Ryan plucked Bart Scott out of Baltimore, the Jets' head coach has turned his sights on another Ravens' linebacker to help solidify Gang Green's defense.

The Daily News has learned that the Jets are interested in landing free agent outside linebacker Jarret Johnson, who played six seasons under Ryan in Baltimore. Johnson, who has spent the better part of his nine-year career in the shadows of stars like Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs and Haloti Ngata, appears to be an ideal fit for the Jets' scheme.

The Ravens have expressed their desire to re-sign Johnson. New Colts head coach Chuck Pagano, who was hired off the Ravens' staff, may also be interested in adding Johnson to his defense.

The Jets used a committee approach at outside linebacker for much of the year after veteran Bryan Thomas suffered a season-ending torn Achilles in the Jets' 34-17 loss to the Ravens in Week 4. Sources told the News that the team would consider re-signing Thomas, who is an unrestricted free agent, if he is fully healthy. By all accounts, Thomas' rehab is on schedule.

Although one Jets' source considered Johnson a luxury more than a necessity, the nine-year veteran's familiarity with Ryan's defensive schemes could lead to a reunion. Johnson's versatility and durability – he's played in a Ravens' franchise-record 129 consecutive regular-season games and started 89 in a row – make him an appealing option for Gang Green. Johnson, who will turn 31 in August, is two years younger than Thomas.

"I'll tell you a guy that's underrated is Jarret Johnson," Ryan said in September. "I mean he's had that label forever. We used to laugh about it. He's always a ‘hard-working, blue-collar guy.' Well, that's what he is. He's tougher than heck, and he's a lot more talented than people give him credit for."

The highlight of Johnson's season came when he was named AFC Defensive Player of the Week for his standout game against the Jets (fumble return for a touchdown, two quarterback hits and three tackles). Although his numbers (56 tackles, 2.5 sacks) dipped from the previous season, Johnson's ability to thrive in myriad roles within the defensive scheme makes him an attractive option.

ProFootballFocus.com, a statistical analysis website, ranked Johnson as the fifth best outside linebacker for teams that primarily play 4-3 defensive fronts. (The site noted that the Ravens have played more of a 4-3 scheme since Ryan left after the 2008 season). Johnson consistently ranks as one of the best run-stuffing outside linebackers in the league.

"I just get tired of being called the gritty overachiever who is somehow still here but manages to make plays," Johnson told the Baltimore Sun last season. "It doesn't really bother me, but I want to be known for what I am. In this room and in other places in the league, I'm a pretty damn good football player…. I just want to be known as a good player, not just as that overachiever, smart guy."

PM's are awesome for personal attacks. Just a thought.

I don't mind when he calls me a c0#k, because it's not personal.

You've never had a PM from me to bitch

But, I will respect your wishes, only because your son could end me with a sack.

I don't mind when he calls me a c0#k, because it's not personal.

You've never had a PM from me to bitch

But, I will respect your wishes, only because your son could end me his sack.

I appreciate your thick skin but one personal attack leads to another and then the forum sucks top read and post. If you have beef just pm that person and handle it. Just makes more sense.

Not understanding the comment about my son but that's ok.

I appreciate your thick skin but one personal attack leads to another and then the forum sucks top read and post. If you have beef just pm that person and handle it. Just makes more sense.

Not understanding the comment about my son but that's ok.

Your son is a budding star football player, no? Was trying to compliment you and your son.

HAve a nice day

Reading all this stuff now on the Jets is like hearing that an old girlfriend who you really once cared about is now a crack whore.

The Jets were a bad 8-8 team and Tanny says they're more concentrating on re-signing old players. They won't resign Thomas, and are interested in replacing him with another JAG in Johnson. Here's a thought? Why don't you try to get younger and better at key positions?

Tanny is a joke and once they have a FO housecleaning the better off the Jets will be.

Tanny is a joke and once they have a FO housecleaning the better off the Jets will be.

This is a win now team....obviously it will be nice to get younger, but these guys usually don't step right in and play. Look at the Steelers. Most of their young players rarely make an impact until a few years later ie Worlids, Ziggy Hood

The Jets are in good hands....just enjoy the ride. Blowing up the FO is not always the answer...that just gives the franchise another 3 years to get it together

This is a win now team....obviously it will be nice to get younger, but these guys usually don't step right in and play. Look at the Steelers. Most of their young players rarely make an impact until a few years later ie Worlids, Ziggy Hood

The Jets are in good hands....just enjoy the ride. Blowing up the FO is not always the answer...that just gives the franchise another 3 years to get it together

What's another three years? Bradwaybaum are on Year Eleven.

What's another three years? Bradwaybaum are on Year Eleven.

Can't win in this league without a QB

We're tying to finally develop one, but it seems as if most don't like the developmental process

This is a win now fan base. If the FO tries to rebuild, it's their fault. If they go all in, it's their fault.

If Sanchez doesn't develop this year, it's rebuild city again

Reading all this stuff now on the Jets is like hearing that an old girlfriend who you really once cared about is now a crack whore.

The Jets were a bad 8-8 team and Tanny says they're more concentrating on re-signing old players. They won't resign Thomas, and are interested in replacing him with another JAG in Johnson. Here's a thought? Why don't you try to get younger and better at key positions?

Who says they aren't? It's not like there's an unlimited well of young talent out there, and no matter how good your team is, you always have to round it out with JAG's. You just hope they are JAG's that are good in the locker room and give you maximum effort.

Tanny has always tried to fill holes before the draft with free agents. This would just mean we don't absolutely have to pick a OLB in the draft in the first round. They can try to pick BPA at that point.

Jets consider re-signing Thomas: source

| More icon_print.gif Print

3:20 PM, March 1, 2012 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

The Jets are considering re-signing free agent outside linebacker Bryan Thomas, according to two sources.

Thomas missed most of the 2011 season with a torn left Achilles tendon, but he has been rehabilitating the injury and expects to be 100 percent for next season.

The Jets selected Thomas in the first round of the 2002 NFL Draft. When they let defensive end Shaun Ellis go last summer, Thomas became the longest-tenured Jets player. His 145 games played are the fourth-most for a linebacker in team history.

Thomas suffered the season-ending injury on Oct 2 in a 34-17 loss to the Ravens. Many in the Jets organization felt the loss of Thomas severely hindered the team’s defense. The Jets never found a stable replacement for Thomas. Jamaal Westerman, Garrett McIntyre, Josh Mauga and Aaron Maybin spent time in Thomas’ spot.

The 32-year-old spent the rest of the season working out at the Jets training center, so the team’s doctors should have a good idea of how healthy Thomas is.

It is unclear in what role the Jets would bring back Thomas. Maybin emerged last season as the team’s best pass rusher. The Jets could use a combination of Thomas on running downs with Maybin entering in pass situations.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/jets_consider_re_signing_thomas_iFTyWrkHnhql2k0LtsI3jO#ixzz1ntvKEgVs

Signing Johnson is OK if the price is right. At 31, he has two or three years left. He will provide quality depth at the LB position. It also provides the Jets an opportunity to draft a younger LB prospect in the early rounds. Good move if it happens.

we should be drafting the future ray lewis types...not signing the left overs...

Word around the NFL is that Tannenbaum and friends missed all the Ray Lewis types in yesterday's draft and that's why they have to go to the leftovers. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU TANNENBAUM!

If the Jets aren't spending a lot of money, they absolutely should be making a move like re-singing Thomas or signing Johnson. Making one of those moves does not suddenly preclude them from trying to get younger and faster in the draft and beyond, but it also doesn't force the Jets into a position where they need to reach for a player because of a desperate need to fill a starting spot. If a guy they really like falls to them in the draft, they can gladly grab him and push the vet down the depth chart, or if not, wait until later on and get a guy they can develop while having a solid starting in place. If you're talking about a big money, long term contract than sure it's stupid, but there's little to suggest that's the case at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived