Cromartie restructures. (MERGED)

pointman

He has been far better than "serviceable". Wilson is serviceable. Cro is a #1 on 28-30 other teams. 

I remember the situation, and all I can say is I am damn happy we didn't land Asomugha. Overrated, overpaid. 

No.....Wilson is brilliant at celebrations on the field. Other than that there is nothing more to write about his performance on the field. Calling him serviceable is like saying Edsel is reliable!

Cro was serviceable...maybe somewhat good but nowhere deserving of the contract he got. And yes the way he has played in the last 14 games makes us forget that.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No.....Wilson is brilliant at celebrations on the field. Other than that there is nothing more to write about his performance on the field. Calling him serviceable is like saying Edsel is reliable!

Cro was serviceable...maybe somewhat good but nowhere deserving of the contract he got. And yes the way he has played in the last 14 games makes us forget that.

lol. So in your opinion who is a better corner than Cro in the league? If he is serviceable that makes him what, middle of the pack?

lol. So in your opinion who is a better corner than Cro in the league? If he is serviceable that makes him what, middle of the pack?

I was talking about his play before he got his new contract with us.

You just don't get to move him before the 2015 season, which you wouldn't do anyway. He'll be 31-32. A good gamble.

2015 he'll be a FA, won't he?  You'll trade Revis, but not Cro? Revis play will fall off a cliff, but Cro's won't?  Cromartie is older.  They are on the hook for over $13M for the guy next year.  I don't see the age as such an issue.  Great corners last forever. Darrell Griffin, Deion.  Hell Aaron Glenn was still rolling pretty good.

No way the Jets trade him now, as they just significantly increased the cap hit they would take if they did, as that entire $9.3M, plus the prorated amounts of his original bonus for this year and next year, would all immediately hit the cap.  Never going to happen.

I know, I stated that's not why they did this, BUT if Idzik was one crazy dude, and convinced Woody to swallow 10 mill for a good amount of picks that would be crazy. Again I know this isn't why the Jets did this, just saying it would be one crazy ass scheme. Forget for a second the Jets aren't trading him what would a team give up now for him knowing they would essentially get him for 2 years for a grand total of 1.6 million, hypothetical?

According to reports Antonio Cromartie has restructured his contract to allow for 2013 salary cap relief:

Cromartie signed through 2014 was scheduled to make $9.5 million in 2013.  He allowed the Jets to change base salary into a roster bonus of $8.46 million which Cromartie was paid then the Jets converted the roster bonus into signing bonus prorating, spreading, it over the life of his contract.

His 2013 base salary dropped to $840,000 with a work out bonus of $200,000 so Cromartie still will receive $9.5 million this year while the Jets get $4.23 million in 2013 salary cap relief but Cromartie’s salary cap hit increases $4.23 million in 2014.

Terms of recently signed quarterback David Garrard are being reported at $1 million:

The Jets have over $15 million in salary cap space and can get about another $1million if Tim Tebow is traded or released.

2015 he'll be a FA, won't he?  You'll trade Revis, but not Cro? Revis play will fall off a cliff, but Cro's won't?  Cromartie is older.  They are on the hook for over $13M for the guy next year.  I don't see the age as such an issue.  Great corners last forever. Darrell Griffin, Deion.  Hell Aaron Glenn was still rolling pretty good.

I don't want to trade Revis, but I'll understand if they do in exchange for resources to rebuild. But, if they come out with a two and a four, and some future cap flexibility, I'm going to be a little bummed. It'd just mean that Revis' agents shot their way out of town.

I don't want to trade Revis, but I'll understand if they do in exchange for resources to rebuild. But, if they come out with a two and a four, and some future cap flexibility, I'm going to be a little bummed. It'd just mean that Revis' agents shot their way out of town.

Yes and that does not bode well for the future.  For a 2nd and he equivalent of a 2013 5th? Let him rot.

**** a little bummed. If they get a two and a four for Revis, I will be inconsolable.

He has been far better than "serviceable". Wilson is serviceable. Cro is a #1 on 28-30 other teams. 

I remember the situation, and all I can say is I am damn happy we didn't land Asomugha. Overrated, overpaid. 

Cro really didn't get tested as they picked on Wilson instead. Also collectively although we ranked high in terms of pass defense without Revis we defended the 3rd fewest passes in the league.

As for cro his cap spending for next and this season still remains at $9.5 mil. Yes his cap hit rises but that doesn't really matter whn you factor that will possibly have $45 mil in cap space with the cutting of Sanchez and Holmes next season. of course my figure didn't account for on coming free agents.

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Antonio%20Cromartie&Position=CB&Team=Jets

Is there some kind of limit to the amount of $$$ you can move from salary to bonus? If not, wouldn't rich teams just do this all the time?

Wasn't it Jason of jets cap that reported that our salary cap issue wasn't nearly as bad as people were suggesting? Maybe he had a point.

We did do that all the time, that's why our cap is ****ed this year

Cro re-works deal, not going anywhere

March, 13, 2013
Mar 13

12:18

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

For those clinging to the hope the Jets would trade CB Antonio Cromartie and use the money to re-sign Darrelle Revis ... well, you can forget about that.

Cromartie is untradable now because he restructured his contract, according to NFLPA records posted Tuesday night. He was a prime candidate because of a $2.3 million roster bonus due Wednesday.

It appears he didn't lose any money in the restructuring. He was due to make a $7 million base salary plus the roster bonus, a total of $9.3 million. His base pay dropped to $840,000, the roster bonus was eliminated and he will receive the difference in the form of an $8.5 million signing bonus that will be pro-rated over the next two years. It drops his cap charge to $6.25 million, a savings of about $4.2 million.

There's a down side to this credit-card approach; it inflates Cromartie's 2014 cap number to $15 million, including a $5 million roster bonus. It'll force the two sides to the bargaining table because there's little chance of them doling out that kind of bonus in the final year of a contract.

Holmes apparently took a straight pay cut, although it's possible he can recoup some money with incentives. His base salary was reduced from $11 million to $7.5 million, the amount that was guaranteed in the original contract. Basically, his non-guaranteed salary ($3.5 million) was slashed.

By adjusting the Holmes and Cromartie contracts, the Jets created about $7.7 million in cap space. This puts them about $16 million under the cap. C Nick Mangold is due a $3 million roster bonus Wednesday, but his contract remains untouched. Revis is due a $1 million roster bonus on Saturday.

In case you're wondering, David Garrard's contract is one year for a total of $1.1 million.

Cro really didn't get tested as they picked on Wilson instead. Also collectively although we ranked high in terms of pass defense without Revis we defended the 3rd fewest passes in the league.

Cro was thrown at plenty. It wasn't like he was respected like Revis. He was a shutdown corner. 

Ah, this is good.  If I’m reading this article right, the Jets just committed to pay Cro , in one form or another, $15,000,000 next year.

Bit’s not gonna like this

Not really.  That's simply the potential cap hit (if nothing else changes), due to the combination of the prorated portion of his original signing bonus and the prorated portion of this new signing bonus on top of both his 2014 roster bonus and his 2014 base salary.  That's a good bit different than him actually being paid that much money next year (as those prorated bonus amounts would still be coming in on top of that).  With that said, I'd still be very surprised if they go into 2014 with Cro's contract as is.

All good points. And that's why i said i can see why they did that.

But when you have a guy who has issues getting motivated to play at the highest level not sure what his motivation will be when he already has pretty much all the  money in the bank. I am just a guy who still remembers Shonee Greene's run in San Diego. That's all.

Cro has been nothing but solid since he's been a Jet, and went to probowl status when Revis went down making Revis basically expendable giving his asking price. Why is there still this "but" approach when speaking about Cro? Dude has been doing his thing

Good move, if we can get something out of Harris then he's off to a great start. This is a full on reset button thump. We are going long on Cro, it's clear the word as come from above Revis is out. He's ass hat Mevis tactics have finished him here. It will be interesting to see how much he will get paid.

I just think at the end of 2013 we could be two years behind the Fins and Bills, since the Phags got their QB last year and the Bills Geno this? Although we do look like we are tanking at the moment.

Holmes and Cro, the resident scumbags, taking one for the team.  Sucks having lockerroom cancer's like that on your roster.

Side note; Cro is coming off his best season ever, takes a pay cut.  Meanwhile, Darrelle Mevi$ is coming off a season ending injury and makes waves about his contract. 

Holmes and Cro, the resident scumbags, taking one for the team.  Sucks having lockerroom cancer's like that on your roster.

Side note; Cro is coming off his best season ever, takes a pay cut.  Meanwhile, Darrelle Mevi$ is coming off a season ending injury and makes waves about his contract. 

Cro is taking a pay cut?

I guess this is more proof that Woody is cheap?

This also tells me that Cromartie will be on this team for a few more years, which may mean some other cb may not.

What does " Woody is cheap" mean? Francesa was saying this yesterday. And it's mind boggling. There's a salary cap. We all know this already.

What does " Woody is cheap" mean? Francesa was saying this yesterday. And it's mind boggling. There's a salary cap. We all know this already.

I was being facetious. If Woody were in fact cheap, he would be holding hjs money, rather than converting it into cash he must now pay up front, in order to spend new money.

Some have been saying that the Revis move is driven by a cheap owner, rather than basic football logic.

Holmes was forced into a pay cut.  He did not do so willingly.  He makes more this way than getting cut by the Jets.  Those were his choices.  It wasn't $11M or $7.5M.  With the Jets threatening to cut him if he didn't restructure, it was $7.5M or $7.5M, and next year a chance at $8.25M with the Jets or (quite likely) less than that with someone else.

Cromartie took no pay cut whatsoever.  He gets the same money this year that he was going to get.  It also made it far less likely for the Jets to cut him next year.  It was a move that helped both sides (Jets this year, Cromartie next year).  Also technically the Jets could have cut him this year and now they can't, so Cromartie gets that guarantee as well.

Bottom line:  Cromartie and Holmes are both better off financially with these restructures than if they had refused to make them.  

Seems like Cro took not only a step forward as a player last year, but also as a leader.  It's quite the luxury to have a true #1 CB on your team to fall back on, encase you lose your HOF CB via a trade.  

**There's a lot of cleared cap room and I doubt all of it is going to Victor Butler, whom I hope they definitely sign.  Methinks there's a possibility that the Jets and Revis make another stop gap type contract that will not only keep Revis a jet for this season, but one the following season where they will negotiate again depending on health.  I'm not sure, but Idzik definitely seems to have a plan, regardless of what happens with Revis.

Keep in mind that Revis actually costs more against the 2013 cap if he's traded than if he stays. Idzik needs to clear a little extra space just for that.

Holmes was forced into a pay cut.  He did not do so willingly.  He makes more this way than getting cut by the Jets.  Those were his choices.  It wasn't $11M or $7.5M.  With the Jets threatening to cut him if he didn't restructure, it was $7.5M or $7.5M, and next year a chance at $8.25M with the Jets or (quite likely) less than that with someone else.

Cromartie took no pay cut whatsoever.  He gets the same money this year that he was going to get.  It also made it far less likely for the Jets to cut him next year.  It was a move that helped both sides (Jets this year, Cromartie next year).  Also technically the Jets could have cut him this year and now they can't, so Cromartie gets that guarantee as well.

Bottom line:  Cromartie and Holmes are both better off financially with these restructures than if they had refused to make them.  

I didnt read the article.  My response gave me the opportunity to use Mevi$ again.  

Thanks for clarifying though.

Archived