Best Mock I have seen so far (NFL.COM)

Favorite_Toon

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's true and you know it and don't act like I'm the l my on saying it. You put a 5'7" dude against most 6'0" corners and he's going to be outmuscled and out worked all day. The only thing he'd be on the outside for is for a bubble screen. Which may work if Stephen Hill can continue to be what we drafted him for: downfield blocking.

I'm assuming you've watched football over the past three years. So you know the above post has no relation to the modern reality.

I'm assuming you've watched football over the past three years. So you know the above post has no relation to the modern reality.

I have and I know that big receivers are dominating the league and dwarf receivers are a nice luxury but don't win you anything.

Anquan Boldin was a beast in the Super Bowl and Crabtree was a huge weapon for the Niners. Which of those guys is 5'7"?

Why is everyone pissed at a taking a QB?  we don't need one?  or  you like someone else at QB?  or wait till next years draft?  See the thing is this if were going to suck.... at least be entertaining and watch some exciting rookies play this year

Can't speak for everyone but the reason I don't want to take a QB is because Rex and Marty M are both not going to be here next year.

Its really tough getting a read on any of these skill position guys.

Austin is little.

How much better is he than a guy like TY Hilton who went in what the 5th round?

Question is how much better is he than Jerley because that's who he would be supplanting or pushing aside. I don't think he's that much better at all.

I was thinking more like a coup, though he might also be a poultry cage as you suggest.

Production?

24 TFLs and 12 sacks in his last two years combined within the hardest conference in college football.  His production dipped after putting out 15 TFLs and 7.5 sacks his junior year, but that was much more due to Chavis asking him to take less aggressive angles and keep contain rather than playing in the more wide-9 style he did the previous year.  Production in college is never a direct translation to the NFL; what you want is someone who has elite measurables, good motor, more than a one year starter, some production and someone who won't slack off after getting paid.  This kid played in Chavis' system, which is pretty damned close to a NFL system, and had a lot put on his plate, which is another positive factor in his favor.  

I'm not saying he's a perfect pick, I don't think there are any this year, but I think he not only fills a void, but fills it with elite talent.

OK who do you want at 9 and 13

Therein lies the rub. I was all about Cord Patterson until I started reading about him showing up to interviews acting like Flava Flav. I'd love to put Tavon Austin on this roster, but I'm reading that there are a few teams who'd trade up for him or Lane Johnson. If the Jets can move down and pick up a 2014 first in exchange for the 9, I'd probably take that deal.

At 13, my preference is Tyler Eifert. Whatever QB gets that guy will see his QBR go up five percentage points, and he'll be a monster on third downs.

Question is how much better is he than Jerley because that's who he would be supplanting or pushing aside. I don't think he's that much better at all.

Ive gone back and forth on Austin and I think I lean more towards your thinking on this one. I dont think Eifert is the right choice there either, though just due to upside.

Justin Hunter on the other hand...going BAP pass rusher or Cooper/ Warmack then someone like Hunter I'd like.

Therein lies the rub. I was all about Cord Patterson until I started reading about him showing up to interviews acting like Flava Flav. I'd love to put Tavon Austin on this roster, but I'm reading that there are a few teams who'd trade up for him or Lane Johnson. If the Jets can move down and pick up a 2014 first in exchange for the 9, I'd probably take that deal.

At 13, my preference is Tyler Eifert. Whatever QB gets that guy will see his QBR go up five percentage points, and he'll be a monster on third downs.

They're gonna need to make a trade to somehow insure two first rounds picks next year so they can move up about 5 spots to take Bridgewater. *RT

It just seems like people are working really, really, really hard to explain that Mingo was secretly a dominant player at LSU, and he'll do things he's literally never done when he gets to the pro level.

I don't love Mingo either, but workout numbers are more predictive than sack numbers for collegiate pass-rushers.

I have and I know that big receivers are dominating the league and dwarf receivers are a nice luxury but don't win you anything.

Anquan Boldin was a beast in the Super Bowl and Crabtree was a huge weapon for the Niners. Which of those guys is 5'7"?

Victor Cruz, Steve Smith, Percy Harvin, Stevie Johnson, DeSean Jackson, Santonio Holmes. All puny guys. All game changers.

Weaknesses:

• Not a hard worker
  • Timed slow
  • Needs to add strength
  • Can miss some tackles
  • Can struggle with runs straight at him

No thanks

Who's this?

Negatives: Immature, slightly undersized [6'3/265] defensive end who lacks experience at linebacker. Is a one-trick pony who just wants to rush the passer and shows no passion for playing the run doing the dirty work. Has limited experience dropping into coverage and will freeze on play-action fake at times.

(Hint: he ran a pathetic 4.84 at his combine)

Who is the receiver who makes those one handed catches?

24 TFLs and 12 sacks in his last two years combined within the hardest conference in college football.  His production dipped after putting out 15 TFLs and 7.5 sacks his junior year, but that was much more due to Chavis asking him to take less aggressive angles and keep contain rather than playing in the more wide-9 style he did the previous year.  Production in college is never a direct translation to the NFL; what you want is someone who has elite measurables, good motor, more than a one year starter, some production and someone who won't slack off after getting paid.  This kid played in Chavis' system, which is pretty damned close to a NFL system, and had a lot put on his plate, which is another positive factor in his favor.  

I'm not saying he's a perfect pick, I don't think there are any this year, but I think he not only fills a void, but fills it with elite talent.

Thanks for dropping the knowledge

Victor Cruz, Steve Smith, Percy Harvin, Stevie Johnson, DeSean Jackson, Santonio Holmes. All puny guys. All game changers.

Victor Cruz is 6'. Holmes is 5'11". And they're the only ones who won jack and both played out of the slot with bigger receivers on the outside. You proved nothing here bud.

It just seems like people are working really, really, really hard to explain that Mingo was secretly a dominant player at LSU, and he'll do things he's literally never done when he gets to the pro level.

I can buy that and it's mostly from people who've seen highlights of him.  When I look for a player, I look more for translatable skills than how they dominated college.  In Mingo's case he was a multiple year starter in a complex defensive scheme, great motor, elite measurables, no off-field issues, doesn't shy from contact and seems to have decent technique.   Will all these make him a double digit sack guy?? I think so.

He's basically this years Bruce Irvin, which given our interest in him last year, it's no surprise we are rumored to like Mingo a lot.  Both he and Mingo had great junior years and then had dips in production, but their explosiveness is undeniable.  But hey, I'm just a college football fan, I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again...probably more often than I'll be right.

I don't love Mingo either, but workout numbers are more predictive than sack numbers for collegiate pass-rushers.

There exists that Aldon Smith/Jason Pierre Paul conundrum where a guy shows nothing in college, then gets to a team with enough good players around him and blows up, but it seems like a coin flip with guys like that. But then you have Gholston, who had both production and freak workout numbers, but suuuuuucked as a pro. What scares me about Mingo is the quote I've seen in a few places about Mingo disappearing for games at a time. Disappear is a scary word.

I can buy that and it's mostly from people who've seen highlights of him. When I look for a player, I look more for translatable skills than how they dominated college. In Mingo's case he was a multiple year starter in a complex defensive scheme, great motor, elite measurables, no off-field issues, doesn't shy from contact and seems to have decent technique. Will all these make him a double digit sack guy?? I think so.

He's basically this years Bruce Irvin, which given our interest in him last year, it's no surprise we are rumored to like Mingo a lot. Both he and Mingo had great junior years and then had dips in production, but their explosiveness is undeniable. But hey, I'm just a college football fan, I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again...probably more often than I'll be right.

We shall see, I guess. You'd just think a guy with all those measurables would have some more tangible results, ya know?

Who's this?

Negatives: Immature, slightly undersized [6'3/265] defensive end who lacks experience at linebacker. Is a one-trick pony who just wants to rush the passer and shows no passion for playing the run doing the dirty work. Has limited experience dropping into coverage and will freeze on play-action fake at times.

(Hint: he ran a pathetic 4.84 at his combine)

T-SIZZLE

I'm just gonna go on record as saying that Jarvis Jones will have a better career than Barkevious Mingo.

I don;t watch a lot of College but i like his tackles behnd the Line stat.  And the sacks aint bad either.  No tools please.  Productive players.  No projects with the top picks.  Stephen Hill keeps dancing across my field of vision.  He may be good some day.  I want someone who will be good Day One.

I don;t watch a lot of College but i like his tackles behnd the Line stat. And the sacks aint bad either. No tools please. Productive players. No projects with the top picks. Stephen Hill keeps dancing across my field of vision. He may be good some day. I want someone who will be good Day One.

Jarvis Jones is not a top 15 pick. You want to trade back and take him that's fine but not worth either of our picks as it stands.

Weaknesses:

• Not a hard worker
  • Timed slow
  • Needs to add strength
  • Can miss some tackles
  • Can struggle with runs straight at him

No thanks

Weakness #1- they said same thing about coples.  How's his work ethic now?

Weakness #2- Check out Terrell Suggs Pro day numbers.  How'd he turn out for ravens?

Weakness #3- Who doesnt?  Mingo needs to add size.  He's built in same mold as Maybin.  Jones is a freak athlete

Weakness #4- As long as he doesnt "Miss" the QB on the pass rush who cares?

Weakness #5- He will be coached well and will learn to become a well rounded pass rusher.

Im glad others in this forum dislike Mingo as much as me...I feel like people jumped on the Ingram bandwagon last year in a similar way and how'd that turn out? 1 sack vs. coples 5.5 sacks.  Jones or Ansah over Mingo IMO. 

Archived