Jason Collins first Openly Homosexual American Male Athlete.

BroadwayJoe12

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You implied being gay is a decision. It is not.

I don't think that you're ignorant or homophobic, you're just wrong. 

I'm a Christian, but I'm done with the "is being gay right or wrong?" debate.  It isn't up to me to decide that.  It's up to me to treat people with kindness, accept them as they are, and try to understand. 

If I have a son one day, and he ends up gay, I hope I'll have the strength to say "I love you, and there's nothing that can make me love you less", and go from there.

This is also how I deal with my openly racist co-workers. I realize that they have a worldview that I disagree with, and I just ignore their racism as much as I can. Those people are going to live and die hating a certain group for reasons that they can't rationally articulate, and I'm not going to waste my time trying to change that.

The human brain is complicated.  That is the reason you are prompted to actually type out the bull spit you are spewing, just as it is the reason that people "choose" homosexuality.  Assuming you are heterosexual, try and remember way back when you first realized you were attracted to someone.  It is instinctual.  You not only think it, you feel it, but regardless, the brain is in control.

While true that thoughts and actions can be "wrong," being gay is hardly one of those instances.  Who is hurt by someone's sexual preference, so long as everything is consensual?

You are by all means entitled to your opinion, but I would like an explanation as to why you view homosexuality as "wrong."

Firstly, I'd like to say that I felt super important when I came back and seen that I had 5 messages waiting for me lol. I havent seen that amount in a while. Seriously though, I hear everyone but my intention isnt to highjack the thread. I got my question and opinion across and so did everyone else so I'll leave it there.

Firstly, I'd like to say that I felt super important when I came back and seen that I had 5 messages waiting for me lol. I havent seen that amount in a while. Seriously though, I hear everyone but my intention isnt to highjack the thread. I got my question and opinion across and so did everyone else so I'll leave it there.

LOL

Well there you go.  All you have to do to be important is to be different

I'm curious to find out how Collins has played 12 years in the league and has avoided raping one of his hot teammates in the shower. OR HAS HE?????

Is it weird I thought the same thing.  Then thought, he had to be attracted to some of the guys in the locker room.  He got to see them in all their glory.  Did he ever get a stiffy?  Did he hide it?  Or just pimp it out there to see if anyone was down?

Sure its big news for your agenda as the bold is indicates. But Collins is hardly the first openly gay male athlete. There are plenty of others in locker rooms that coaches and players knowingly accept. Barkley, Lebatard were all on the record today saying they know plenty of fellow gay athletes that are open about it yet chose not to go the SI route seeking publicity.

I don't know why you think that's my personal agenda at all.  I'm not even sure what an "agenda" is-I always thought it was a list of things you plan to do on a Saturday afternoon. 

I don't know who these openly gay NFL and NBA players are, but I haven't heard of any until now who has admitted to the public they are homosexual. Do you?

If you don't, what are you complaining about?

while the positive feedback is encouraging, the true measure or progress as a nation will be when we don't notice these things anymore or even discuss them

Yeah, OK. I for one think it's a pretty big deal to know who my favorite celebrity or athlete is putting the D or P on. 

I'm curious to find out how Collins has played 12 years in the league and has avoided raping one of his hot teammates in the shower. OR HAS HE?????

It is absolutely beyond me how a grown man was ever able to keep things professional in a work environment, absolutely shocked I tell you.  I was always under the assumption that the gay takes away all inhibitions. 

I don't know who these openly gay NFL and NBA players are, but I haven't heard of any until now who has admitted to the public they are homosexual. Do you?

well that was my whole point, its really none of our business.

Rhodes is clearly gay, find it hard to believe players and coaches werent aware of this prior to those photos surfacing and deadspin begging him to come out to the public.

It is absolutely beyond me how a grown man was ever able to keep things professional in a work environment, absolutely shocked I tell you.  I was always under the assumption that the gay takes away all inhibitions. 

You have admit it would be hilarious if he was the first locker in and all it had was pictures of dicks all over it. 

well that was my whole point, its really none of our business.

Being none of our business and saying that a person is wrong for publicly telling the truth about himself are two different things.

Unlike regular, everyday people like myself and the people on this board, athletes are asked for interviews all the time, both for print and broadcast.  If there are players who their teammates know about but downplay, keep quiet and generally maintain a curtain of doubt about, fine.  However, if one such player wants to be truthful about it, then that is big news.  Both because the general issue very much is in the news in many forms and the fact that almost 40 years after the first retired sports player revealed his homosexuality, the first active player finally came forward.

Being none of our business and saying that a person is wrong for publicly telling the truth about himself are two different things.

Unlike regular, everyday people like myself and the people on this board, athletes are asked for interviews all the time, both for print and broadcast.  If there are players who their teammates know about but downplay, keep quiet and generally maintain a curtain of doubt about, fine.  However, if one such player wants to be truthful about it, then that is big news.  Both because the general issue very much is in the news in many forms and the fact that almost 40 years after the first retired sports player revealed his homosexuality, the first active player finally came forward.

John Amaechi did the whole Today/SI/Oprah tour 6 years ago.

Its crazy because its become the new thing to accept. I dont have a personal problem with someone being gay, I have a problem with the propaganda of having to "accept" gay lifestyle. Commercials of celebs are now coming out and using their celebrity status as a level of influence to persuade people into thinking that this is okay, and if you say "its not" then you're obviously some homophobe that is probably a closet racist too lol, as if skin color (Something you have no control over) and sexual promiscuity (an obvious decision of yours) are one in the same (Which by the way shows how retarded racism is lol). My sister is lesbian and she got married last year. I remember her being so scared to tell me but obviously she eventually had to. I let her know "Look, its wrong but you know I love you and that wont change. I'd never disrespect your mate but know that me saying its wrong isnt because I simply say it, its just what it is". See, you can have gay friends and gay family members but still understand that this is a practice that shouldnt be accepted without being an idiot about it. This is the beauty of free-will. You decide what to do, but know that there are rules. Simple as that. 

Not ranting here and of course I wont make this into a debate because I dont want to offend anyone, however, I do find it offensive that this machine called the media/entertainment  finds the time to sway people of accepting other peoples sexual decisions. Ever wonder why that is?...I do. 

Thank for your honesty.  

When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them:

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15:19- 24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

.....Rhodes is clearly gay, find it hard to believe players and coaches werent aware of this prior to those photos surfacing and deadspin begging him to come out to the public.

A.  I will agree that in the Rhodes case, Deadspin is absolutely reprehensible.  They invaded Rhodes' privacy just for publicity's sake.

B.  Believe it or not, I'm not completely convinced Rhodes actually is gay.  I see a lot of pictures where he seems to be kidding around with an employee who is homosexual that are suggestive of it, but photos are a snapshot in time and if the pic was taken just a split second later, they might not be so suggestive.  Considering the photos, I would not be surprised if Rhodes is gay, but I am not as yet 100% convinced.

I've seen other instances where something seems to add up to a sure thing, and they turned out to be wrong.

Sure its big news for your agenda as the bold is indicates. But Collins is hardly the first openly gay male athlete. There are plenty of others in locker rooms that coaches and players knowingly accept. Barkley, Lebatard were all on the record today saying they know plenty of fellow gay athletes that are open about it yet chose not to go the SI route seeking publicity.

It's curious why this is such a problem for you.  There is an agenda.  Indeed.  That agenda includes equality in the eyes of the law and more importantly, in an era when gay teens are killing themselves at a level that's reaching pandemic, having another "hero", should never be seen as a bad thing.  Because if one kid chooses to look up to Collins instead of choosing the bridge, than what Collins has done was more than worth it.  It is about publicity, but not the self-serving kind you've found yourself hung up on.  It's about a kind of publicity that may make a scared and depressed kid feel like life is worth living.  Why so mad?

Thank for your honesty.  

When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them:

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them? Soak Some hickory in water overnight toss them in when you're burning the bull and I swear your neighbors will be over asking what smells so dam good

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her? Obviously I couldn't tell you without her measurables, specifically respect to plowing/child bearing capabilities. If you want to PM me with some more information I'm sure I can find you a reasonable quote

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15:19- 24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense. I travel with a pet bear cub they can smell the flow from a mile away, stick with a cub though they have a mind of their own once they reach maturity. After about a year you should probably burn him at the bull alter.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians? Your friend is an idiot, if God gave a sh*t about Canadians it would be in his book

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself? If you don't kill him you're equally at fault

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? You really need new friends, friends with reading comprehension

Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here? God doesn't provide wiggle room. His book is pretty ******* specific so idiots like your friend shouldn't be confused

Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die? This is a question I to struggle with. I don't know the best method of smiting but if you want to discuss it further in PM's when I get you a quote on your daughter I'd love to chat

I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves? Well thankfully the leather is synthetic now but you should be careful as to what the gloves are made of

My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14) Abraham killed his son to show god he was cool, this is just an uncle. I got no place in your family affairs but this needs to be taken care of

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

You're welcome

It's curious why this is such a problem for you.  There is an agenda.  Indeed.  That agenda includes equality in the eyes of the law and more importantly, in an era when gay teens are killing themselves at a level that's reaching pandemic, having another "hero", should never be seen as a bad thing.  Because if one kid chooses to look up to Collins instead of choosing the bridge, than what Collins has done was more than worth it.  It is about publicity, but not the self-serving kind you've found yourself hung up on.  It's about a kind of publicity that may make a scared and depressed kid feel like life is worth living.  Why so mad?

I respect what you're saying, but other than marriage (in some states), where are gays not equal in the eyes of the law?

Do not want to turn this into a political debate, but lets not act like we are forcing gays into slavery or oppressing them legally either. 

As for gay teens killing themselves, it takes simply looking at the numbers and the comparisons to prove how incredibly flawed these comparisons are. 

When you compare the amount of teen suicides committed by openly-gay teens to those committed by (believed to be) "straight" teens, the amount of 

"straight" teens that kill themselves is greater by a margin of like 200%.   Sure, the percentage of gay teens that kill themselves is way higher than the percentage of straight teens, but when you consider A) Only 20% of the population (at most) is gay, and B.) Only about 8% of those 20% admit to being gay - of course the percentage of gays committing suicide will be disproportionately higher... Its simple math. 

Having said all that, I do agree that it is good for gay teens and those struggling with their sexuality to have someone like Collins to look up to. Although it is overhyped by the media - very few people are solely defined by their sexual preference - I do think its an important step for someone to come out like this if for no other reason than it gets a serious dialogue started. 

I respect what you're saying, but other than marriage (in some states), where are gays not equal in the eyes of the law?

Do not want to turn this into a political debate, but lets not act like we are forcing gays into slavery or oppressing them legally either. 

there are a lot of places where gay couples are not permitted the same legal rights a straight couple would have - health care visitations/decisions, taxes, military and pension benefits, etc... if we're looking at it strictly as equal protection under law, then gay couples aren't treated equally (mostly over semantics). this is changing in a lot of places, but it's also still there in a lot of places. not trying to hijack the thread, just answering the question.

that said, as a straight female I think it's very important that we know who all the gay athletes are. that way, on the off chance I ever get to hit on professional athletes, I will know who not to waste my time on. thank you Jason Collins for saving my could-be-humiliated behind! :sign0098:

Good point.  But at 7 + feet tall aren;t we all sorta looking up to him?

Thank for your honesty.  

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15:19- 24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

Christ said numerous times; don't worry about your neighbor's sin so much as your own. Don't point out thee toothpick in their eye while you have a beam in your own. Recall the story of the prostitute who was to be stoned until Jesus asked if the stoners were without sin, and they quickly dispersed. Jesus did say to go and sin no more. But there is a lot of sinning in this world.

It's not up to any of us to live anyone else's life.

Wonder if Chris Broussard made his comments because someone at ESPN wanted to make a splash, or he really believes that. If he is so concerned sexual propriety and sinning covering American professional sports should probably not be his line of work. Perhaps he could cover Gregorian chanting monks or the Dali Lama or agriculture.

Fair to say there is a media thread of trying to say the gay lifestyle needs to be accepted by everyone. Suggest we simply live and let live and leave it at that.

Gay pride?-uh-

Why so mad?

Not mad. Its just transparent that's all. Once the media takes over it becomes a total witch hunt and gotcha game into trying to bait someone to say something stupid. ESPN throwing Chris Broussard on TV when they know he's a super Christian. Mike Wallace being publicly shamed for basically a harmless tweet. Tim Brando...and on and on. Hell even people who have come out and said "I really couldnt care less what Collins does behind closed doors" are being painted as homophobes. The witch hunt aspect is what really turns me off from this.

Thank for your honesty.  

Not sure, but somehow I suspect that Villain  is Christian, not Jewish.  What you are quoting is Halakhah.  Which I know you are aware of.

Paul said that we are no longer bound by, what is it,  313 articles of law.

Ah yes,  these kind of threads are so productive on  football boards.

Not sure, but somehow I suspect that Villain  is Christian, not Jewish.  What you are quoting is Halakhah.  Which I know you are aware of.

Paul said that we are no longer bound by, what is it,  313 articles of law.

Ah yes,  these kind of threads are so productive on  football boards.

It's a recent popular response written to Dr. Laura, the uber conservative radio host.  I'm assuming it was more for laughs than religious accuracy.  

Never heard of her/him

Is he/she hot?

She's pretty radical and out there, but like any radio hosts, it's hard to glean anything from her responses as to whether she actually believes this stuff or not.  Or at least to the extent in which she believes it.   I've only seen her a few times, she's in her mid-60s I believe, but she always seems well put-together.   Soo bottom line; if I had to bag me a 60-year old for filling out some sort of sexual-age-bingo card, you could do worse.

She's pretty radical and out there, but like any radio hosts, it's hard to glean anything from her responses as to whether she actually believes this stuff or not.  Or at least to the extent in which she believes it.   I've only seen her a few times, she's in her mid-60s I believe, but she always seems well put-together.   Soo bottom line; if I had to bag me a 60-year old for filling out some sort of sexual-age-bingo card, you could do worse.

LOL

Thanks

Archived