Sanchez on Cutting Down on Turnovers "You Just Stop. It Becomes a Habit"

flgreen

Jets QB Mark Sanchez on cutting down on turnovers this season: 'You just stop. It’s becomes a habit.'

BY Manish Mehta

David Garrard’s impending retirement may have solidified Mark Sanchez’s spot on the Jets roster this season, but the embattled fifth-year quarterback isn’t taking anything for granted.

“Nothing’s changed,” Sanchez said on Thursday. “My mindset’s the same. Stay focused. Master this offense. Improve on my fundamentals. Be as accurate as possible. Take care of the football and lead this team.”

John Idzik will almost certainly like to see what he has in second-round pick Geno Smith at some point this season, but Sanchez maintained that the first-year GM doesn’t owe him any explanation about his plan.

“If it’s something that he needs to let me know, then he’ll let me know,” Sanchez said of Idzik.  “I have no problem going up to his office. Open-door policy. He wants to talk to guys, get to know guys. He’s out there at every practice, which is nice…. He’s a visible guy. He’s not just somebody upstairs hiding behind some office door. He’s approachable and personable guy. But at the same time, this is a whole new deal. He’s not obligated to tell anybody anything. It’s really his show to run. … We’ll do the very best we can and I know he’s doing the best for us.”

Sanchez’s primary objective, of course, will be to reduce the 52 turnovers that he’s committed in the past two seasons.

“Marty (Mornhinweg) touched on it. It’s a mentality,” Sanchez said if cutting down on his turnovers. “There’s a point where you bite your nails… then you just stop. Whatever it takes. You just stop. It’s becomes a habit. It becomes just a way of thinking and a way of making decisions on the field.”

“There’s been some drill work that we’ve been doing with Coach Lee,” Sanchez added. “I’ve never thrown the ball away as many times as I have in these first couple weeks as we have in these drills. That’s something you practice. Those things become habit. You continue to rep them and just don’t let it happen. So that’s the plan.”

Sanchez, who worked with Smith on the field together on Monday and Tuesday, said the rookie “doesn’t say too much” but “plays his butt off and competes.”

“Trust me,” Sanchez said of the quarterback competition. “It’s a fierce deal.”

Although Mornhinweg said earlier in the week that he’d like to have a winner in the quarterback competition emerge “sooner rather than later,” Sanchez isn’t aware of any timetable.

“I have no idea,” Sanchez said. “I’m focused on playing the very best I can. As soon as they tell me you’re the guy or you’re not the guy, then we’ll know. But they haven’t given me any indication on when that will be.”

At one point Thursday, Sanchez joked that Mornhinweg’s system suited him, because, after all, “I’m from the West Coast.”

He also disagreed with the notion that he lost confidence late last season.
“I know it didn’t’ take a hit,” Sanchez said of his confidence last season. “I feel good.”

http://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN

This guy is so bad he needs to do drills to throw the ball away? Whats next, drills to not run into offensive linemans asses? Or drills where any pass not to the other team is a success?

We basically have 2 rookie QBs this year, McElroy might make the most sense to start early on.

Sanchez, who worked with Smith on the field together on Monday and Tuesday, said the rookie “doesn’t say too much” but “plays his butt off and competes.”

^^^ I like this quote, seems true.

Geno being a quiet guy that handles business would be a welcome presence IMO.

“I know it didn’t’ take a hit,” Sanchez said of his confidence last season. “I feel good.”

^^^ I dont' like this quote, seems like complete lies.

Yeah, this is why Garcia was talking about Sanchez psyche because Tebow was here. Riiiiiight.

You just stop... Oh man.  Magical thinking at it's best.

"Magical thinking" is the belief that you can grab WR's off the trash heap, throw them into games within a couple days, and think your QB will play well.

"Magical thinking" is the belief that you can grab WR's off the trash heap, throw them into games within a couple days, and think your QB will play well.

If it was just a ton of incomplete passes you could say this.  But when you factor in 52 turnovers, in 2 years.....That's pretty much all on Sanchez.  These "practice squad" receivers had nothing to do with Sanchez fumbling into his lineman's a$$.

I imagine it was the WRs fault for him throwing into double or triple coverage all those times or their fault for him constantly throwing behind receivers on every quick 3-step drop or I bet you could pin it on them how he routinely missed open receivers because he doesn't see the entire field after locking in on his primary target?? They probably are also to blame for him holding onto the ball too long, not being able to feel pressure or his inability to know when to step up into the pocket.   No one's arguing that our skill positional players aren't terrible, but it takes a special kind of suckiness to turn the ball over 52 times in two years.

I imagine it was the WRs fault for him throwing into double or triple coverage all those times or their fault for him constantly throwing behind receivers on every quick 3-step drop or I bet you could pin it on them how he routinely missed open receivers because he doesn't see the entire field after locking in on his primary target?? They probably are also to blame for him holding onto the ball too long, not being able to feel pressure or his inability to know when to step up into the pocket.   No one's arguing that our skill positional players aren't terrible, but it takes a special kind of suckiness to turn the ball over 52 times in two years.

Something about route trees and separation.

Jets QB Mark Sanchez on cutting down on turnovers this season: 'You just stop. It’s becomes a habit.'

BY Manish Mehta

David Garrard’s impending retirement may have solidified Mark Sanchez’s spot on the Jets roster this season, but the embattled fifth-year quarterback isn’t taking anything for granted.

“Nothing’s changed,” Sanchez said on Thursday. “My mindset’s the same. Stay focused. Master this offense. Improve on my fundamentals. Be as accurate as possible. Take care of the football and lead this team.”

John Idzik will almost certainly like to see what he has in second-round pick Geno Smith at some point this season, but Sanchez maintained that the first-year GM doesn’t owe him any explanation about his plan.

“If it’s something that he needs to let me know, then he’ll let me know,” Sanchez said of Idzik.  “I have no problem going up to his office. Open-door policy. He wants to talk to guys, get to know guys. He’s out there at every practice, which is nice…. He’s a visible guy. He’s not just somebody upstairs hiding behind some office door. He’s approachable and personable guy. But at the same time, this is a whole new deal. He’s not obligated to tell anybody anything. It’s really his show to run. … We’ll do the very best we can and I know he’s doing the best for us.”

Sanchez’s primary objective, of course, will be to reduce the 52 turnovers that he’s committed in the past two seasons.

“Marty (Mornhinweg) touched on it. It’s a mentality,” Sanchez said if cutting down on his turnovers. “There’s a point where you bite your nails… then you just stop. Whatever it takes. You just stop. It’s becomes a habit. It becomes just a way of thinking and a way of making decisions on the field.”

“There’s been some drill work that we’ve been doing with Coach Lee,” Sanchez added. “I’ve never thrown the ball away as many times as I have in these first couple weeks as we have in these drills. That’s something you practice. Those things become habit. You continue to rep them and just don’t let it happen. So that’s the plan.”

“Trust me,” Sanchez said of the quarterback competition. “It’s a fierce deal.”

Although Mornhinweg said earlier in the week that he’d like to have a winner in the quarterback competition emerge “sooner rather than later,” Sanchez isn’t aware of any timetable.

“I have no idea,” Sanchez said. “I’m focused on playing the very best I can. As soon as they tell me you’re the guy or you’re not the guy, then we’ll know. But they haven’t given me any indication on when that will be.”

At one point Thursday, Sanchez joked that Mornhinweg’s system suited him, because, after all, “I’m from the West Coast.”

http://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN

But first, you wrap your head in a green rubber band.......from there on, you just do it.

This guy is so bad he needs to do drills to throw the ball away? Whats next, drills to not run into offensive linemans asses? Or drills where any pass not to the other team is a success?

Yes ...they are going to have a big cardboard cutout at TC this year---like the FBI uses in shooting drills---it will be a reasonable facsimile of Brandon Moore's ass.  Over/under, anyone?

Archived