Hill Making Effort to Step Up

flgreen

Hill Making the Effort to Step Up

Posted 11 hours ago

Eric Allen Sr. Reporter/Director, Internet ProgrammingEmail @eallenjets On the Inside 

As OTAs begin, there is some uncertainty at the wide receiver position for the Jets.  Santonio Holmes continues to work his way back from a Lisfranc injury and many people wonder what the Green & White will get out of Stephen Hill in Year 2.

Hill has all the physical traits you would want in a prototypical NFL wideout.  The 6’4”, 215-pound Hill possesses 4.3 speed and new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg is an aggressive play-caller who will dial up plays down the field.

“Me and Marty had a lot of conversations, and he’s definitely looking forward to me stepping up,” Hill said.

Hill made it look easy in his first professional game, becoming the first Jets rookie receiver to record two touchdowns in his NFL Debut and his 89 yards in a trouncing over the Bills also set a rookie record.  But Hill, a raw product who was making a transition from a triple option attack at Georgia Tech, only collected 16 more receptions throughout his rookie season.  Injuries hampered Hill’s 2012 campaign as he appeared in 11 contests and made eight starts.

“After I saw the things I was doing out there on the field, I have a lot to clean up,” he said.  “A whole lot to clean up, so I’m getting better at that.  I’m not going to grade myself now of stepping to the next level, but I’m definitely going to look a lot better — a whole lot better from last year.”

Hill, who stayed in the area this offseason after undergoing arthroscopic surgery to repair cartilage in his right knee, believes there are a lot of areas where he can improve.

“The basics.  Route running — making sure I don’t show my route a certain way because these corners are very smart nowadays,” he said.  “Any little thing, they’ll just pick it up just that fast.  Cro helped me out with that and actually when (Darrelle) Revis was here — they helped me out with that

.  Telling me as the year went on how I needed to clean up certain things, and also Santonio Holmes he does the same thing especially in the meeting room.  What I need to write down, how I need to see certain things and it’s definitely paid off.”

Just like all his offensive teammates, Hill is learning a new offensive language.  Mornhinweg called his West Coast terminology “substantial” and has been happy how his players have embraced the challenge.

“You have to know one word and you have to know what everybody’s doing,” Hill said.    “You have to stay in your playbook — you have to read everything that’s in that playbook.  If not, you’re going to be behind.”

While Hill will catch passes from the Jets’ four quarterbacks out here at OTAs, he actually already gained experience with rookie Geno Smith at the Offense-Defense (OD) High School All-American Bowl in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

“It was pretty cool.  We were actually connecting out there,” Hill said.  “He said, ‘It’s pretty crazy that we got on the same NFL team.’   We’re definitely trying to make sure that we get this thing rolling, so we can at least be something in the future.”

Hill, with one pro season under his belt, has been very impressed with Smith’s approach.

“He takes his game seriously,” said the Georgia Tech alum.  “He really does...  He’s being a pro, and I love the way he’s taking it.”

A second-round pick of the Jets in the 2012 draft, Hill just turned 22 in April.  The Jets stuck to their board and did not reach for a receiver in the draft.  They could elect to add a veteran free agent before training camp, but Hill will be counted on to make a big-time impact in Year 2.

“He’s a big part of this offense.  We need him to step up and having him where he is right now is going to speak volumes,” said CB Antonio Cromartie.  “I’m definitely waiting to see how he’s going to be when we go to training camp because he’s coming out to with me to California and we’re going to be working out together.”

“I’m definitely looking forward to showing my skills especially to the coaches and the GM,” added Hill.  “I love the way the GM’s talking.  He really wants competition and that’s what we’re definitely going to bring out there.”

What irritates me about Hill is he doesn't seem to posses any fluidness.  He is very rigid and uncoordinated and there really isn't anything smooth about him.  Actually, he seems very awkward out there at times.  Maybe its something that will develop for him very fast hopefully.

That's certainly the right attitude and hopefully it all comes together for the kid.  If he's able to truly utilize all his skills properly, that could be huge for this offense.  Just one player with that kind of skill set really makes quite the difference.

I agree

The reason most talented players go bust are stubbornness, unwillingness to accept coaching, or just lazy.  From the interviews I have seen with this kid, he seems extremely enthusiastic, and willing to learn.   When he was drafted everyone knew he was a project.  He certainly has the talent, expecting a much more productive year from him  

What irritates me about Hill is he doesn't seem to posses any fluidness.  He is very rigid and uncoordinated and there really isn't anything smooth about him.  Actually, he seems very awkward out there at times.  Maybe its something that will develop for him very fast hopefully.

I think he'll become more fluid as he learns the pro game. He came into the league as a very raw prospect, but the talent is there.

It used to be common knowledge that WRs make their big leap in their 3rd year in the league as it's one of the most intricate positions to learn in the NFL.  With instant success of guys like Fitzy, AJ Green, CJ and the other freaks, everyone expects these guys to produce right out of the gate and that's just never been how it works..like ever.  Hopefully the kid takes a big step and can be a constant contributor and then puts it all together in his 3rd year; of course it'd be nicer if he did it this year, but you've gotta have patience with these guys.

I think he'll become more fluid as he learns the pro game. He came into the league as a very raw prospect, but the talent is there.

thats what I'm hopeful about..he has the size n speed for sure...he just needs to come into his own...sooner than later i hope

I still think the kid has serious potential so until next season I won't throw him under the bus... If he sucks after next season, I'll throw him under a tractor trailer. =)

The fact that he is a receiver who can't catch a football is a red flag. As if that shouldn't have been obvious to talent evaluators.

It goes along with the QBs that can't throw a football, the safeties who can't cover, the guards who can't block and the OLBs who can't rush the QB.

Pretty cool he played with Geno in the high school all-star game. Just goes to show that these guys have been excelling at the game, and better than their peers for a while.

This is a more positive sign that it will be given credit for. Right now everyone sucks and that makes sense. 

workin on the basics

you know

like catching the ******* ball

LOL

I'm a Hill guy.  I think the kid has the skills to become an out standing player.  He can learn a lot of the stuff.

But your right.  He has to catch the damn ball.  

I know not many saw his drills during his proday and the combine, but he absolutely tore it up, catching everything in sight and looking fluid doing so.  His hands aren't inherently a problem, it's everything else that weighed on him and caused his concentration to drop.  The kid was clearly overwhelmed by the jump from Gtech to the NFL and it showed; there's a reason why his first game was his best.  The fact that he is going to be more comfortable and aware of what's going on, I suspect we'll see a significant step to where he's contributing on a consistent basis.  Someone this raw, I don't foresee a breakout year until next year, but that type of patience just doesn't fly with most NFL fans nowadays.

Archived