Jason La Confora acknowledges Jets QB and media problem

shhwagah

This story caused quite a stir on Twitter. CBS Sports writer Jason La Canfora called out NY Post sports writer Bart Hubbuch and a small twitter beef erupted between the two of them. Jason accused Bart, and the NY media in general of having an agenda (writing unflattering stories about the Jets because Idzik has been revoking access and systematically removing the media's favorite anonymous sources from the Jets organization, and because its easy), while Bart accused Jason of sucking up to Idzik to gain trust and access. It was a little bizarre. Here's the story:  

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/23365116/media-hornets-nest-only-one-of-many-problems-for-messed-up-jets

JASON LA CANFORA

CBS Sports NFL Insider

The New York Jets have at least one more opponent than the rest of the teams in the NFL this season. And if the pen is indeed mightier than the sword, then I don't fancy their chances at prevailing, at least not anytime soon.

If this latest Jets' melodrama, the one with Mark Sanchez suffering a relatively minor shoulder injury behind the second-string offensive line last week, is illuminating of anything, it's that the friction between the people who cover it couldn't be much more overt. It's gone way beyond business there. This war seems decidedly personal.

And, if it keeps up, there won't be any winners.

PAPER HITS BACK

Daily News rips NJ Gov. Christie in media battle

This was already set up to be a long, if not lost, season for the organization, the franchise jammed awkwardly into a quasi-transitional phase with owner Woody Johnson mandating any new general manager retain Rex Ryan as head coach, and a series of poor contracts mandating that players like Sanchez and Santonio Holmes, who would otherwise be gone, remain on the roster. Oh yeah, and the new GM also was instructed that he best trade the team's premier player, Darrelle Revis, ASAP because he wouldn't be getting a hefty new deal with the Jets when his contract expired after this season.

Throw in the fact that new general manager John Idzik has rid this building of many of its most willing off-the-record sources, and that Idzik has yet to endear himself to a media corps seemingly hostile to his very arrival, and you have a bona fide tabloid fight on your hands, with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie now involved and chaos still the norm for Gang Green.

But, please, spare me the faux outrage over Sanchez, the same guy everyone wanted to run out of town after the butt fumble last season, if not sooner. The guy who is only there because of the guaranteed money tied to his contract. The guy who was being ridiculed for his propensity to continue throwing mind-numbing interceptions just a week ago in this very preseason.

That's the quarterback who is supposed to be under bubble wrap? Really? It's an affront to great quarterbacks everywhere and the football gods to put Sanchez behind a back-up offensive line in the third pre-season game as the staff continues to evaluate the position with rookie Geno Smith just back from injury himself? Because somebody was going to have to take those snaps, and the Jets season -- imperiled before they ever gathered for the start of camp -- is now doomed by Sanchez absorbing a tough blow?

Seriously?

The fact that it was Sanchez, and not, say, Greg McElroy, who appeared to have beaten him out for the job however briefly last season, is some seismic event, I suppose. Guess I missed that memo. Maybe it was only distributed in the MetLife Stadium press box.

Could Ryan have inserted someone other than Sanchez? I suppose. Would it really have mattered with this bunch? Doubt it. But considering Sanchez and Smith are the two vying to win the job -- or, actually, trying least to lose it, because let's not pretend anyone on this roster actually did anything to stake a claim that they should be a starting quarterback in the NFL -- then those should probably be the guys to play, with backups or not.

It happens, you know. When I covered the Redskins and Jason Campbell was a first round pick and Mark Brunell was the incumbent, there were times when someone would have been at risk playing behind a less-than-all-starters offensive line. And that was the great Joe Gibbs. It's football. People get hurt. We've seen Bill Belichick have Tom Brady playing in the fourth quarter of blowout regular season games or deep into meaningless preseason games, and he's the brightest coach of his generation.

So while it's easy to jump on Rex Ryan -- and he's done plenty over the years to make himself a target -- and heaven knows it's easy to start a media feeding frenzy in New York once there is a little chum in the water, let's not lose sight of the reality that the worst thing to come of this is a bruised shoulder for a guy who won't be back throwing passes for the Jets in 2014 anyway, when the team will still be trying to rebuild from the mess Idzik inherited.

And, please, allow me to chuckle at the notion that Ryan's misdeed – again, something not unlike gambles Hall of Famers like Gibbs and Belichick have made in the past -- should cost him his job in the preseason. Ridiculous. (To me, Ryan talking about wanting to win a preseason game was a bigger crime than playing Sanchez with some backups, actually).

Furthermore, good luck finding qualified candidates who would be dying to run into this situation themselves and take over. Not under the conditions Johnson has created. Everyone in the NFL already knows that its untenable in the short term and that Ryan is all but certain to be gone in 2014 anyway, as this organizational cleanup continues (I suppose it would be a cleanup in Aisle 6 at this point), but firing a coach now and kowtowing to media hysteria won't do anything to make this product any better to watch, or make the Jets any easier for their fans to cheer on.

Only sufficient time, and prudent thought and a long-term vision, and avoiding calls for knee-jerk action, will eventually get the circus entirely out of town in New York. It will require Johnson adopting a decidedly low profile and letting his football people operate unencumbered and putting marketing and media sizzle aside. Then, finally, the culture might change there.

But in the meantime, those local pens will be sharpened like a knife. They will be ready to pounce on any mistake, real or perceived, and no one in the front office will get the benefit of the doubt even though they haven't been there long enough to remotely come close to trying to slash the bloated contracts, get the cap back in order and begin to restock the abundance of positions in dire need of upgrades (pretty much any skill position applies).

Hubbach is probably the least professional guys out there.  Every time he calls Pete Prisco (who I certainly have no love lost for) Pricco, I feel like I'm listing to a 12 year old.  Has no business being a public figure of any kind.  Reminds me of that moron who coined "san-blow-me-o" on here.

LaCanfora is blaming every Jets beat reporter for Mehta's flourish. Incidentally, noted Jets beat reporter Peter King just wrote that playing Sanchez will be the end of his career as Jets HC. Gutless by LaCanfora to ride Olbermann's coat tails in search of a headline.

LaCanfora is blaming every Jets beat reporter for Mehta's flourish. Incidentally, noted Jets beat reporter Peter King just wrote that playing Sanchez will be the end of his career as Jets HC. Gutless by LaCanfora to ride Olbermann's coat tails in search of a headline.

Let's be honest.  The Jet's beat writers mimic the team.  There may be a Mangold amongst them but the rest of them either suck, are liars or drama queens.

I would think most Jets fans would appreciate La Canfora's words since this is basically all about the same sentiment I read on every Jets board from just about every Jets fan. However La Canfora can suck a dick b/c we're Jets fans and he didn't say it first.. 

I am loving this.  How can you not like a pissing match between reporters.   The only people who can call out reporters are other reporters.   I'll bet the Jets brass is having a huge laugh over all of this.

i saw this comment on deadspin, ive never read a better summary of the situation

The national media is finally starting to notice how shockingly unprofessional and agenda driven the local press is towards the team. Their (often unverified bullsh*t) stories over the past 2 years have been picked up by the bigger outlets and are primarily the reason the Jets are viewed the way they are by casual fans in other parts of the country. Just the steady drip of rumors and innuendo leading to now national narrative of the team being a "circus". If the Jets had decent reporters, they'd be just another suck-ass (literally in Sanchez's case) club and the focus would primarily be on what happens on the field

i saw this comment on deadspin, ive never read a better summary of the situation

The national media is finally starting to notice how shockingly unprofessional and agenda driven the local press is towards the team. Their (often unverified bullsh*t) stories over the past 2 years have been picked up by the bigger outlets and are primarily the reason the Jets are viewed the way they are by casual fans in other parts of the country. Just the steady drip of rumors and innuendo leading to now national narrative of the team being a "circus". If the Jets had decent reporters, they'd be just another suck-ass (literally in Sanchez's case) club and the focus would primarily be on what happens on the field

Thanks for posting that.  It's spot on.  Hopefully, if enough of the national media catches on, they'll stop printing that crap nationally, and others will take Mehta and Cimini to task (give them a national beat down), and their paper will get so embarrassed that they'll fire those two hacks and hire some decent Jets beat writers.

The Jets are viewed as clowns because Woody and Rex invited the world to take notice of them, and they then proceeded to fall flat on their faces. They've brought every bit of scrutiny and derision down upon their own heads. Stop apologizing for them. They are Ashlee Simpson.

The Jets are viewed as clowns because Woody and Rex invited the world to take notice of them, and they then proceeded to fall flat on their faces. They've brought every bit of scrutiny and derision down upon their own heads. Stop apologizing for them. They are Ashlee Simpson.

You just went too ******* far. Take it back dude.  

It might not be the way they wanted it to happen, but the Jets get more national air time than any other team in all of sports. 

Going back to la Canfora's article, i think there is some, emphasis on some, merit to the notion that it seems odd to have people complaining that Sanchez got hurt as if he's such a great player.  Okay.  Fair enough.

But that ignores the specific context of Rex's decision.  At the moment that Smith came out of the Giants game, there should have been no question that Sanchez would start instead of Smith in the TB game.  So, what was the point of putting Sanchez in?  To see how he played with the second teamers? 

The irony is that Rex, the media, every Jet fan already knows what Sanchez is and is not capable of, even coming out of this pre-season.  La Canfora ignores that there was no upside to putting the likely Opening Day starter in with the second stringers.  The stated reason, winning a pre-season game, is laughable.

I suppose if Smith had played somewhere more in the middle, making it still a contest with MS, then I suppose there might have been some reason to continue the competition.  But that's the whole point - Rex should have made the in game decision that there was nothing to be gained at that point by putting Sanchez in.

This has nothing to do with the media's attitude toward Idzik or anything else.  It's just another example of how Rex does not know how to manage his Qb situation.

I should also add that the analogies to playing Qb's who get hurt IN REGULAR SEASON GAMES is misplaced.

If the Jets had decent reporters, they'd be just another suck-ass (literally in Sanchez's case) club 

i dont know if it's possible for the Jets to be just another suck-ass club, while they are in the largest media market in the nation. 

Going back to la Canfora's article, i think there is some, emphasis on some, merit to the notion that it seems odd to have people complaining that Sanchez got hurt as if he's such a great player. Okay. Fair enough.

But that ignores the specific context of Rex's decision. At the moment that Smith came out of the Giants game, there should have been no question that Sanchez would start instead of Smith in the TB game. So, what was the point of putting Sanchez in? To see how he played with the second teamers?

The irony is that Rex, the media, every Jet fan already knows what Sanchez is and is not capable of, even coming out of this pre-season. La Canfora ignores that there was no upside to putting the likely Opening Day starter in with the second stringers. The stated reason, winning a pre-season game, is laughable.

I suppose if Smith had played somewhere more in the middle, making it still a contest with MS, then I suppose there might have been some reason to continue the competition. But that's the whole point - Rex should have made the in game decision that there was nothing to be gained at that point by putting Sanchez in.

This has nothing to do with the media's attitude toward Idzik or anything else. It's just another example of how Rex does not know how to manage his Qb situation.

I should also add that the analogies to playing Qb's who get hurt IN REGULAR SEASON GAMES is misplaced.

Good poat

Yeah, you guys wrote the playbook on that.

Hey, the Patriots lest we forget chose Tony Eason before both Ken O'Brien and John Elway which should have been evidence enough for us that Dick Steinberg (rip)

was not the best person to select as a GM to bring the Jets to the promised land in the 90's. 

Hey, the Patriots lest we forget chose Tony Eason before both Ken O'Brien and John Elway which should have been evidence enough for us that Dick Steinberg (rip)

was not the best person to select as a GM to bring the Jets to the promised land in the 90's. 

that should read before Ken OBrien and Dan Marino.

whoops.

Going back to la Canfora's article, i think there is some, emphasis on some, merit to the notion that it seems odd to have people complaining that Sanchez got hurt as if he's such a great player.  Okay.  Fair enough.

But that ignores the specific context of Rex's decision.  At the moment that Smith came out of the Giants game, there should have been no question that Sanchez would start instead of Smith in the TB game.  So, what was the point of putting Sanchez in?  To see how he played with the second teamers? 

The irony is that Rex, the media, every Jet fan already knows what Sanchez is and is not capable of, even coming out of this pre-season.  La Canfora ignores that there was no upside to putting the likely Opening Day starter in with the second stringers.  The stated reason, winning a pre-season game, is laughable.

I suppose if Smith had played somewhere more in the middle, making it still a contest with MS, then I suppose there might have been some reason to continue the competition.  But that's the whole point - Rex should have made the in game decision that there was nothing to be gained at that point by putting Sanchez in.

This has nothing to do with the media's attitude toward Idzik or anything else.  It's just another example of how Rex does not know how to manage his Qb situation.

What you are saying implies what everyone already suspects, that Idzig and Rex are not on the same page regarding the QB. If your logic is correct, Rex has no reason to put Sanchez in, but either he was trying to get ammo to support wanting to start Sanchez, or, the decision was made regardless of how Geno looked that Geno was going to start the season.

Archived