Ryan: RB Bilal Powell "earned the right to start" Sunday

Jetfan13

Once again it appoears that Jets head coach Rex Ryan is not on the same page as the Jets front office.  Despite the fact that the Jets gave up a substantial draft pick in a draft day trade to obtain former Saints running back Chris Ivory to be their franchise back, Ryan is choosing to start incumbent RB Bilal Powell in the season opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers according to Josina Anderson of ESPN New York.

Powell "has earned the right to start" Sunday according to Ryan.  Ryan said Chris Ivory will get "substantial work." Ivory missed too much training camp and preseason action to get a firm grip on the starting job. However, as long as he stays healthy, his far superior talent should have no trouble uprooting Powell sooner rather than later. Expect Ivory to handle much of the early-down work this week, while Powell "starts" and works in on passing downs.

I think the media is overtly throwing fuel on the fire to facilitate the implosion of Rex and the 2013 Jets.  

How is this going against the front office?    Every time Idzik opens his mouth the word "competition" comes out.  If anything, Rex playing the best players regardless of contract status is refreshing.     

I think the media is overtly throwing fuel on the fire to facilitate the implosion of Rex and the 2013 Jets.  

How is this going against the front office?    Every time Idzik opens his mouth the word "competition" comes out.  If anything, Rex playing the best players regardless of contract status is refreshing.     

Agreed.

Not sure how an organization can preach "competition" all pre-season, then come into the year and make an relatively unproven guy like Chris Ivory the starter. It would make them look like hypocrites, and they'd likely be drawing scorn from the media for that instead.

Powell played the whole pre-season, he did earn a start. Starting has no bearing on how much he'll be relied upon though.

This one is shameless even by Cimini's and ESPN's already incredibly low standards. 

Anyone with a functioning pair of eyes who watched the Jets in preseason could see Powell playing circles around Ivory.

What a pile of hot garbage.  So Ivory should automatically start because of a trade of a 4th round pick?  Give me a break.  By every possible measure, Powell earned the start over Ivory.  I have very little doubt even Idzik disagrees with that assessment.  It's not like Ivory is going to be inactive or relegated to the bench for the entire season, and nobody is saying he may not even eventually take over as starter, but that doesn't mean Powell isn't the one who deserves it right now.

Agreed.

Not sure how an organization can preach "competition" all pre-season, then come into the year and make an relatively unproven guy like Chris Ivory the starter. It would make them look like hypocrites, and they'd likely be drawing scorn from the media for that instead.

Powell played the whole pre-season, he did earn a start. Starting has no bearing on how much he'll be relied upon though.

That to me is really the point... He played and fairly well at that so, why not give him the nod. 

Media is trying to make drama out of nothing.  But I can see some  disappointment because they traded for Ivory and everybody assumed the guy was going to be the starter.   Hell a few Jets fans thought Ivory was the next coming of some great RB.  Go back a few months and a few fans had the guy as a pro bowler who just never got a fair shot.  Nobody really even thought Powell was going to be on the roster or was just a replacement for a tired Ivory or Goodson.  

So when you look at it like that, it looks bad because Ivory has been injured and has sucked.   And they did give up a draft pick for the guy.  It was only a 4th rounder, but still, the way some people hyped Ivory doesn't help.  Whether or not Ivory ever becomes any good, who knows.   But for a team without any legit running backs and you bring in a couple of running backs, neither of which will be starting and one guy who knows if he'll ever even play, that doesn't bode well for the GM.    It really has nothing to do with Rex at this point though.

Once again it appoears that Jets head coach Rex Ryan is not on the same page as the Jets front office.  Despite the fact that the Jets gave up a substantial draft pick in a draft day trade to obtain former Saints running back Chris Ivory to be their franchise back, Ryan is choosing to start incumbent RB Bilal Powell in the season opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers according to Josina Anderson of ESPN New York.

Powell "has earned the right to start" Sunday according to Ryan.  Ryan said Chris Ivory will get "substantial work." Ivory missed too much training camp and preseason action to get a firm grip on the starting job. However, as long as he stays healthy, his far superior talent should have no trouble uprooting Powell sooner rather than later. Expect Ivory to handle much of the early-down work this week, while Powell "starts" and works in on passing downs.

ICH~~~

It's articles like these that make me seriously consider not following football in any other capacity than watching the games.  It's exhausting navigating through all the crap and obvious attempts at creating an issue where there isn't one.  If Ivory started they would have flipped this in the exact opposite direction. It's becoming politics and it's downright sad to me.

This makes no sense.  I've been reading endless posts & articles about how Idzik is force-feeding his new guys over incumbents and that's the only reason guys like Geno or Milliner are starting.

Therefore this must be a smokescreen & Powell is not really starting.  I mean, he just CAN'T be. 

It's ok, we're good, this can still be used as evidence that Idzik is already the worst GM of all time because Ivory isn't the starter over a Tanny draft pick.  BOOM!

It's ok, we're good, this can still be used as evidence that Idzik is already the worst GM of all time because Ivory isn't the starter over a Tanny draft pick.  BOOM!

Just like Elway's a failure because even though he's picked up & drafted like 5 RBs since becoming the de facto GM, Moreno is still starting in Denver. 

This makes no sense.  I've been reading endless posts & articles about how Idzik is force-feeding his new guys over incumbents and that's the only reason guys like Geno or Milliner are starting.

Therefore this must be a smokescreen & Powell is not really starting.  I mean, he just CAN'T be. 

The interesting one is Milliner over Wilson.  I have seen very little from Milliner to indicate he is better right now.  It seemed like Sanchez was going to get the start before the injury and Powell and Ducasse are two guys they did everything to displace that will apparently start.  

The interesting one is Milliner over Wilson.  I have seen very little from Milliner to indicate he is better right now.  It seemed like Sanchez was going to get the start before the injury and Powell and Ducasse are two guys they did everything to displace that will apparently start.  

I'd guess that has more to do with Rex thinking Wilson is a better fit in the slot and Milliner a better fit outside than anything else.

Ducasse and Powell are starting because no one showed enough to start over them.  Plus it certainly appears Sanchez was going to start over Smith (and still might when he's healthy).  The best guy plays.  That's as it should be.  Meanwhile I'm seeing endless posts and articles saying this is not so; that Idzik is and has been force-feeding his new guys over others because he's a control freak or whatever reasons they conjure up in their minds.

Call me crazy, but I think Idzik wants the Jets to do as well as possible.  If Sanchez turned into a stud QB (lol) I'm sure he'd be thrilled because he's locked up for this year and 3 years later if we want him.  Makes his job a lot easier.  That didn't happen because Sanchez sucks, as he always has.

Ducasse and Powell are starting because no one showed enough to start over them.  Plus it certainly appears Sanchez was going to start over Smith (and still might when he's healthy).  The best guy plays.  That's as it should be.  Meanwhile I'm seeing endless posts and articles saying this is not so; that Idzik is and has been force-feeding his new guys over others because he's a control freak or whatever reasons they conjure up in their minds.

Call me crazy, but I think Idzik wants the Jets to do as well as possible.  If Sanchez turned into a stud QB (lol) I'm sure he'd be thrilled because he's locked up for this year and 3 years later if we want him.  Makes his job a lot easier.  That didn't happen because Sanchez sucks, as he always has.

I'm not denying any of that and I'm not casting any aspersions on Idzik either.  I don't see any reason to be in love with what he has done.  Any trained monkey would have done the same and he took almost zero risks.  I was just inidcating that Milliner seems to have gotten his job without competition.  They listed him as a starter as soon as he arrived and he looked bad/was injured for the preseason games and I didn't hear any reports of him doing particularly well in camp.

I'm not denying any of that and I'm not casting any aspersions on Idzik either.  I don't see any reason to be in love with what he has done.  Any trained monkey would have done the same and he took almost zero risks.  I was just inidcating that Milliner seems to have gotten his job without competition.  They listed him as a starter as soon as he arrived and he looked bad/was injured for the preseason games and I didn't hear any reports of him doing particularly well in camp.

In terms of player acquisition, yes.  In terms of negotiations, no.  I was impressed with how he handled Tampa/Revis.  Half the "trained monkeys" would have kept Revis for the season and then let the chips fall where they may as far as extending him past 2013, or would have extended him for $16M/year (backloaded) with tons of guarantees outright.

Handing jobs to the new guy right away - prior to July or August - has been Rex's MO for many players (Wilkerson, Brunell/Tebow as the #2, LT, others).

In terms of player acquisition, yes.  In terms of negotiations, no.  I was impressed with how he handled Tampa/Revis.  Half the "trained monkeys" would have kept Revis for the season and then let the chips fall where they may as far as extending him past 2013, or would have extended him for $16M/year (backloaded) with tons of guarantees outright.

Handing jobs to the new guy right away - prior to July or August - has been Rex's MO for many players (Wilkerson, Brunell/Tebow as the #2, LT, others).

I like how he handled the Revis deal too, but part of that was being willing to keep him.  Tampa tried to make us their bitch.  I'd rather have played the guy this year and let him walk than go with that we have take anything mentality. I like the fact that he didn't load up on any big money guys, but I'd probably have preferred a few more low to mid-level vet signings. 

I get what you are saying about Rex, but that has kind of gone on around here for years.  I certainly don't think you can blame Tebow on Rex.  Rex sure didn't seem like he wanted any part of him.  

I like how he handled the Revis deal too, but part of that was being willing to keep him.  Tampa tried to make us their bitch.  I'd rather have played the guy this year and let him walk than go with that we have take anything mentality. I like the fact that he didn't load up on any big money guys, but I'd probably have preferred a few more low to mid-level vet signings. 

I get what you are saying about Rex, but that has kind of gone on around here for years.  I certainly don't think you can blame Tebow on Rex.  Rex sure didn't seem like he wanted any part of him.

Your opinion on what to do with regards to Revis is what I was explaining earlier (not to you), that the way everything was handled was not (paraphrasing) "the same thing anyone would have done."

Going the route he did led to the negotiation he did which led to the compensation it led to. He didn't walk into an extra top-15 pick for Revis when he took the job.

If Powell, a guy who has worse physical tools, burst, ability to make big plays, than pretty much every other starter in the NFL and many backup RB's is a better player than Ivory than Idzik is a fool for giving up a 4th round pick for him. Didn't this joke of a team learn from starting a RB with garbage physical tools for years in Greene?   

If Powell, a guy who has worse physical tools, burst, ability to make big plays, than pretty much every other starter in the NFL and many backup RB's is a better player than Ivory than Idzik is a fool for giving up a 4th round pick for him. Didn't this joke of a team learn from starting a RB with garbage physical tools for years in Greene?

People (GMs) draft & surrender higher picks than a 4th, for busts (or veterans of varying experience) with less upside than Ivory, every year.

Powell is starting because Ivory missed too much time. It remains to be seen if he gets more carries or touches even in week 1, let alone for the season.

You wouldn't be taking the brave after-the-fact position of "if it works out I'll give limited (if any) credit, but if not I'll blast him like I knew it was stupid all along" would you?

I'm in full wait & see mode, but I can see value in trying to find high upside for a player that has shown some at the NFL level (i.e. the game is not too fast for him), and enough experience to throw in game 1 without getting your QB killed by a blitzer.

Sure things at RB aren't available for 4th round picks plus fairly cheap + limited-risk contracts. I hope he pans out. If not then you try again. So far he doesn't look too awesome but that was only pre-season and a "smarter" use of the pick (Johnathan Franklin) looks far worse - lazy + slow + no power or burst - while 100% healthy.

Why not wait to see how he plays first, after a decent # of carries? Lots of Saints fans were pretty unhappy with the trade.

Powell looked far superior in pre-season than Ivory, who looked a lot like Shonn Greene. Ivory IS far more talented than Powell, but Powell has heart and is NOT afraid to take on tacklers. Ivory needs to quit being afraid of getting hurt and dish out some punishment himself, but there was a reason New Orleans let him go so cheap.

Archived