Colts acquire Trent Richardson for 1st round pick

gsnts725

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Browns have completely given up.

Why is everyone going off on the Browns? I thought it was a good move, albeit one to rebuild. TRich has shown that he is maybe a little bit better than Shonn Greene, which isn't saying much. The team has not had a decent QB since the Baltimore Ravens (when they were the Browns) had Bernie Kosar in the 80's.

And besides, who the $%@! would actually give up a #1 pick for a running back anyway? Especially one whose career average is 3.1 yards and is injury prone. Sorry, but I'd say the Browns are actually on the winning end of this one.

There was never any time Bryce Brown looked remotely similar to Lesean Mccoy. He had two good games where no one knew who he was and was running sweeps and beating everyone to the outside.

There was that one time Matt Flynn looked like Aaron Rodgers though.

You blamed McCoy's down year on his concussion.  I'm telling you I watched every philthy Philly game because McCoy was my RB last year, and the guy didn't look anything like he did a year before.  Bryce Brown came in and looked stronger and faster with more wiggle - yes in two games - like he had an extra gear that McCoy didn't have in a bigger & more powerful package.  Brown is in no way a great RB but, if not for his fumbles (which there were multiple of, including at the goal line) he looked great in a couple of games.  And he did a lot more than just beat guys around the outside.  He broke a LOT of tackles running up the gut.

McCoy looks faster this year somehow (also in 2 games).  But whatever the reason for his looking un-McCoy-like in 2012, it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with his concussion.  Just looked it up, it was week 11.  Dumbest thing in the world, and Reid deserved to get fired for this alone.  Philly gave Shade that huge contract that summer and then after they were already mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, losing a game 31-6 with under 2 minutes left, Reid leaves him in & runs him up the gut and he gets a grade-whatever concussion that kept him off the field for the next 4 games.  Incidentally, prior to that last ill-fated carry he had 38 yards on 14 carries.  He did not look like a dangerous RB that year, though he had a few good statistical games against horrid defenses (NYG, NOR, DAL).  When he faced teams who were decent up front he looked like a slightly-faster Shonn Greene (right down to doing nothing as a receiver).  It was infuriating for me to watch.

This year he looks like a totally different player.  He's fast, he has that wiggle, he has power, and if there's a hint of a seam then he's through it & gone.

Let me Google that for me:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Todd+Gurley+draft

OK. 

Having fun with yourself again Gato?  It's a shame he has to play another year carrying Georgia on his back and getting that wear and tear, the kid, much like clowney last year, is physically ready to come out now.  He honestly reminds me a lot of christine michael, who is going to be an absolute monster in this league if he's ever given a chance.  Either the 'hags let lynch walk in a year or two, or michael is going to go somewhere else and dominate; I really liked what I saw out of him.  I also remember hearing Rex or the Jets were big on him as well, but his attitude soured a lot of teams.

He's a plodder who doesnt make guys miss at the second level imo.

The guy was drafted in the top 5 and has a career long run of 32 yards. I dont care who is QB is, that's not good. Richardson was supposed to be the Browns offense, now he needs to assimilate?

Bruised ribs? Peterson was playing on a new knee. If you're not making guys miss at the second level in today's NFL- you're going to get phased out. The Colts trying to be Stanford when they took Andrew Luck to be a down the field passer, doesnt make much sense. Richardson doesnt help Andrew Luck that much. Getting the ball to TY Hilton, helps Andrew Luck.

I find these comments funny because many Jets fans get all weak in the knees for Ivory and Goodson. Two guys who haven't started or been good anywhere.   And then Richardson is a worthless RB that nobody needs.   Yeah the guy might not be AP, but it's just funny how people rate players based on BS more than reality.   Ivory and Goodson are great, Richardson is nothing.  Yeah ok.

For you guys who didn't understand why the trade was made, here's an article that helped me understand it.  I'm not saying I agree with their decision and/or rationale, but on some levels it definitely makes sense.  I bolded the key points.

Browns trade Trent Richardson to Colts

The Associated Press - By TOM WITHERS - AP Sports Writer

BEREA, Ohio (AP) — Not long ago, Trent Richardson was viewed as a cornerstone for Cleveland's future.

On Wednesday, he became part of its recent inglorious past.

The Browns traded the powerful running back to Indianapolis in a stunning move just two games into the season and one year after drafting Richardson in the first round. The team's new front office dealt Richardson for a first-round draft pick next year, when the team will have two opening-round selections and 10 overall. Cleveland is rebuilding again and the team hopes to use those picks — seven in the first four rounds — to help turn around a floundering franchise.

Such a reversal was what the Browns had in mind when they took Richardson with the No. 3 overall pick in 2012. The former Alabama standout seemed to have it all: power, speed and good hands.  But Richardson wasn't the kind of back Cleveland's front office wants or apparently suited first-year coach Rob Chudzinski's offense. Richardson, who rushed for 950 yards as a rookie despite playing most of last season with two broken ribs, gained just 105 yards on 31 carries in Cleveland's two losses this season.  He lacked the explosiveness the Browns' new regime was looking for, and it may not have helped that Richardson made it clear he wanted the ball more.

However, Browns CEO Joe Banner said there was nothing negative about Richardson and the team simply seized an opportunity to improve. And the Colts have been looking for a back since Vick Ballard suffered a season-ending knee injury.  

"This was more about the moment presented itself," Banner said, "and based on the situation the Colts found themselves in, it wasn't something where we could say, 'Can you wait three weeks to think about this or learn more?' We thought it was a move to make us better and we had to make that decision now. We decided to move forward."

Banner said the Browns' first conversation with Indianapolis about a deal for Richardson was Tuesday.

The shocking trade — easily the biggest in Cleveland's expansion era and one of the most significant since the Browns joined the NFL in 1950 — came on the same day Chudzinski announced third-string quarterback Brian Hoyer will start Sunday against Minnesota. Hoyer got the surprising nod over backup Jason Campbell to fill in for starter Brandon Weeden, who is sidelined with a sprained right thumb.

The double whammy floored many Browns fans, leaving some to wonder if the team was giving up on this season.  Banner denied that and said he understands the fans' suspicions.

"We have to earn their belief and trust in the decisions we're going to make as a group," he said. "I don't expect them to trust that until we prove that the trust is well placed. So, I understand the skepticism for now. We have to do what we think is right, move the franchise forward and get it to where we want it to be."

Chudzinski isn't worried about any negative backlash from his players, who had left the facility when the trade was announced.  "That's football," said Chudzinski, adding he reached out to the team's captains. "You deal with those things whether they are injuries or a trade. I believe in this group and I believe the next guy will step up and we will find a way and do what we need to do to win."

Like Richardson, Weeden's days could be numbered with the Browns, who have started 19 quarterbacks since 1999 and are still looking for the right one. Next year's draft class includes several top-flight QBs and the Browns could be loading up on high picks to make sure they get a good one.

Banner, though, said the Browns aren't angling toward any particular position or player.

"I don't want to tip our hands on what we're going to do or prioritize in doing, but I think it puts us in a very good position to have made some real progress with the team in this offseason to be in very good cap shape going into next season," he said.

The Browns are brutally thin at running back after trading Richardson and losing Dion Lewis and Montario Hardesty to season-ending injuries. Chris Ogbonnaya and Bobby Rainey are the only backs on the roster.

The team is bringing in free-agent running back Willis McGahee for a physical and will sign him if he passes the examination. A two-time Pro Bowler, McGahee rushed for 731 yards in 10 games for the Broncos last season and has gained 8,097 in his nine-year career.  Richardson has been slowed by injuries since he was taken after Luck and Robert Griffin III last year.  His college coach, Nick Saban, wished him well with the Colts.

"Hopefully this is going to be a great situation and circumstance for him, so that he can have more success, and be a good player for a long time," Saban said. "The guy was a fantastic player here. We never had anybody who contributed more to the team in terms of how he played and how he affected other people."

Before the deal, Richardson spoke to Minnesota reporters on a conference call about the expectations that come with being such a high draft pick.

"I think people make it more pressure than what it is," he said. "I just like to play football. At the end of the day, I'm going to play football like I've always been coached. The way I've always played. I'm going to be physical, fast, I'm going to be up-tempo."

And he's going to do so in a new uniform.

___

AP Sports Writer John Zenor in Tuscaloosa, Ala. contributed to this report.

Having fun with yourself again Gato?  It's a shame he has to play another year carrying Georgia on his back and getting that wear and tear, the kid, much like clowney last year, is physically ready to come out now.  He honestly reminds me a lot of christine michael, who is going to be an absolute monster in this league if he's ever given a chance.  Either the 'hags let lynch walk in a year or two, or michael is going to go somewhere else and dominate; I really liked what I saw out of him.  I also remember hearing Rex or the Jets were big on him as well, but his attitude soured a lot of teams.

NFL should lower it to two years in college. I think Michael is a potential beast too.

Why is everyone going off on the Browns? I thought it was a good move, albeit one to rebuild. TRich has shown that he is maybe a little bit better than Shonn Greene, which isn't saying much. The team has not had a decent QB since the Baltimore Ravens (when they were the Browns) had Bernie Kosar in the 80's.

And besides, who the $%@! would actually give up a #1 pick for a running back anyway? Especially one whose career average is 3.1 yards and is injury prone. Sorry, but I'd say the Browns are actually on the winning end of this one.

The Colts drafted where this year?  24.  If they stick around that timeframe,  what do the Browns actually gain?   And it's the Browns.  They traded a high pick for a bunch of picks with Atlanta a few years back and they did what with it?    The Browns have many many top draft picks and where are they ?   

And honestly, the Colts have Andrew Luck as QB.  Now they have a RB who had almost 1000 yards rushing and 11 TDs last year.  How the hell does this not make them better.   Trent won't be AP, but he doesn't have to be and really, it's 2013,  RBs should make the passing game better, they shouldn't be the main focus.  Look at AP.  The guy was an MVP of a team who barely made the playoffs and look like a team who will finish 6-10 this season.   

How many teams give up after week two?   It's a bit odd because while Trent isn't going to be AP,  what makes anybody believe the Browns have a clue what they are doing or whom they will draft next season.   I mean this team has drafted Brady Quinn, Colt McCoy, Brandon Wheedon, etc.  They drafted Trent with the 5th pick.   

The only thing I take out of this mess is thankfully the Jets aren't like the Browns.

A first round pick around 24.

After giving up a RB who gained almost 1000 yards, had something like 50 receptions and scored 11TDs.   And he's what, 25 years old.   As much as people dismiss these kinds of players,  it's not like they just got a free pick.  They gave up a guy they took at 5 last year for an unknown potential 24th pick.    ANd seeing how the Browns have had so many draft picks over the past few years and still suck,  how does this really make it better?

This pick makes the Colts better.   If Trent has a 1000 yard rushing season and only scores 8 TDs,  how much will that help out Andrew Luck?  

Whereas Cleveland will wind up picking who at 24?   Another 30 year old rookie?

If I were a Browns fan I'd be depressed.     Draft picks and Browns mean what?

The team, since 1999, has picked  1, 1, 3, 16, 21, 6, 3, 13, 3, 22, *, 21, 7, 21, 3, 22, 6

And this doesn't show things like they traded down with the Jets(Sanchez) and traded some more to get more picks from the Bucs and so on.  So they got a bunch of players and picks just because the Jets traded up for Sanchez.  They traded their 2008 pick to get Brady Quinn in 2007.

This is why "oh they got a draft pick" is misleading.   For a team like the Browns,  they've already had the #1 pick twice since 1999, they've had a top 5 or top 10 pick  almost half of those years. Or they traded those picks away.     So while Trent might not be all that,  trading away probably their best player at this point after week two is a WTF moment.     It's not like the Browns have done crap since 1999.  And they've had more draft picks compared to most teams.

I find these comments funny because many Jets fans get all weak in the knees for Ivory and Goodson. Two guys who haven't started or been good anywhere.   And then Richardson is a worthless RB that nobody needs.   Yeah the guy might not be AP, but it's just funny how people rate players based on BS more than reality.   Ivory and Goodson are great, Richardson is nothing.  Yeah ok.

The hell are you talking about..Goodson?

Richardson is a decent back. he's more of an old school one than a guy I'd want now. As far as Ivory, he's made runs in the NFL Richardson cant make.

The hell are you talking about..Goodson?

Richardson is a decent back. he's more of an old school one than a guy I'd want now. As far as Ivory, he's made runs in the NFL Richardson cant make.

Ivory was just traded for a 4th and went undrafted. Richardson was just traded for a 1st and was a top 3 pick.

You're stoned.

If I were a Browns fan I'd be depressed. Draft picks and Browns mean what?

The team, since 1999, has picked 1, 1, 3, 16, 21, 6, 3, 13, 3, 22, *, 21, 7, 21, 3, 22, 6

And this doesn't show things like they traded down with the Jets(Sanchez) and traded some more to get more picks from the Bucs and so on. So they got a bunch of players and picks just because the Jets traded up for Sanchez. They traded their 2008 pick to get Brady Quinn in 2007.

This is why "oh they got a draft pick" is misleading. For a team like the Browns, they've already had the #1 pick twice since 1999, they've had a top 5 or top 10 pick almost half of those years. Or they traded those picks away. So while Trent might not be all that, trading away probably their best player at this point after week two is a WTF moment. It's not like the Browns have done crap since 1999. And they've had more draft picks compared to most teams.

Past history means nothing when you have an all new FO who thinks they can finally get it right.

After giving up a RB who gained almost 1000 yards, had something like 50 receptions and scored 11TDs. And he's what, 25 years old. As much as people dismiss these kinds of players, it's not like they just got a free pick. They gave up a guy they took at 5 last year for an unknown potential 24th pick. ANd seeing how the Browns have had so many draft picks over the past few years and still suck, how does this really make it better?

This pick makes the Colts better. If Trent has a 1000 yard rushing season and only scores 8 TDs, how much will that help out Andrew Luck?

Whereas Cleveland will wind up picking who at 24? Another 30 year old rookie?

He just turned 23. The gamble is whether or not he can remain healthy.

Ivory was just traded for a 4th and went undrafted. Richardson was just traded for a 1st and was a top 3 pick.

You're stoned.

Arian Foster went undrafted. Ivory was the clear better runner than the other slow Bama back in New Orleans.

He was a top 3 pick and ha no business being one. Weren't the Browns stupid back then too?

Arian Foster went undrafted. Ivory was the clear better runner than the other slow Bama back in New Orleans.

He was a top 3 pick and ha no business being one. Weren't the Browns stupid back then too?

you're once again neglecting the larger piece to the argument. Ivory was JUST traded for a fourth. Richardson was JUST traded for a first. Forster if traded today probably warrants that same late first rounder. LOL.

you're once again neglecting the larger piece to the argument. Ivory was JUST traded for a fourth. Richardson was JUST traded for a first. Forster if traded today probably warrants that same late first rounder. LOL.

You're not getting a 1 for Foster. Funny thing is he'd be a much better fit for the Colts. Tate too.

Archived