Where's the love? you know you expected 0-3

LionelRichie

I can't believe all of the hate on this board.   a win is a win is a win and this team is 2-1 with a rookie QB during a rebuilding year and no dick Curl to manage the challenges and the clock.        

Yes, today was an ugly game but the Jets absolutely dominated the line of scrimmage.    This is a top 5 defense that will keep the team in every game this season.    With any offense at all this team has a real chance each and every week.   

Next week is a huge test on the road but I honestly thought the season would be lost by now and this team is showing some balls.   For a rebuild this is actually fun to watch.    

I tbought we would be 2-1 at this point. The negativity on this board makes me want to vomit. They think its cute and fun to be overly negative. I just dont get it. When I posted obout how good our d line was gonna be as well as our o lin3 and said we could win 9 everyone on this board took turns ripping me. I swear most of jetnation is pats trolls.

I tbought we would be 2-1 at this point. The negativity on this board makes me want to vomit. They think its cute and fun to be overly negative. I just dont get it. When I posted obout how good our d line was gonna be as well as our o lin3 and said we could win 9 everyone on this board took turns ripping me. I swear most of jetnation is pats trolls.

Agreed

They are just shell shocked

I fully expected 2-1, I was expecting the Pats to beat us by more but that's about it.

Never bought into the ridiculously OTT media coverage about how bad we were going to be. This defense was always going to be a force and it's been incredible so far. Whether it was Geno or Sanchez I still thought we'd have enough to beat the Bucs and Bills at home. I also actually like some of the players/coaches that are vilified here - Rex, Holmes, Hill etc. I also liked Joe McKnight though. 

Next week is a very interesting test. On the road against another "overachieving" team. We'll know a lot more about the team after that. The focal point of this season is Geno regardless.

Rex looked like Herm sans Dick Curl today, the team committed 20 penalties, Geno fired 2 terrible int's and the team still won.   

I remember when the Jets had 2 100-yard rushers vs. the Bills at home and Marky Mark threw 4 or 5 int's and they lost in OT.    A win is a win in the NFL....be happy for the next 6 days.  

I said 7-9 to 9-7 and I'm sticking to it, as I said the same exact thing prior to the '09 season, which happens to have a striking amount of similarities to this team.  A win down in Tennessee would go a very long way to making some noise at the end of the year.  I'm also rooting for an Atlanta win this coming week as I would hate to face them at 1-3 with their season on the line.

I fully expected 2-1, I was expecting the Pats to beat us by more but that's about it.

Never bought into the ridiculously OTT media coverage about how bad we were going to be. This defense was always going to be a force and it's been incredible so far. Whether it was Geno or Sanchez I still thought we'd have enough to beat the Bucs and Bills at home. I also actually like some of the players/coaches that are vilified here - Rex, Holmes, Hill etc. I also liked Joe McKnight though. 

Next week is a very interesting test. On the road against another "overachieving" team. We'll know a lot more about the team after that. The focal point of this season is Geno regardless.

Agreed, as do I.  But you also realized Shine a Light is one of the best songs of exile, so I'm not surprised we agree here  :cheers:

Yes. Agree.

Alot of folks on jn try to proove themselves knowledgeable by relentlessly pointing out negative plays, missed assignments, bad play calling ect. Sometimes these things need discussion but not t9 the extent that they are. Im with you Lionel we are ****ibg 2-1. Ill be happytill game time next week and hopefully through 7pm as I sit in Tennessee watching.

Yes. Agree.

Alot of folks on jn try to proove themselves knowledgeable by relentlessly pointing out negative plays, missed assignments, bad play calling ect. Sometimes these things need discussion but not t9 the extent that they are. Im with you Lionel we are ****ibg 2-1. Ill be happytill game time next week and hopefully through 7pm as I sit in Tennessee watching.

whats what ALL fans bases do,  They focus way  too much on negative sh@t because sunshine and roses doesnt make one look knowledgeable, just a kool-ade drinking fanboy.

If the Jets dont stop the unforced errors and stupid plays we're not going to be good this year.  This is where coaching needs to fix the things that are wrong.  This is where Rex proves he's a competent head coach.

But that's the thing.  The things that are wrong are VERY fixable.  What perhaps you should be excited about is that our front 7 just got 8 sacks from 7 different people, we MAY have a real QB, and our running game looks improved.  That to me is a combination of competent coaching and a GM who found us some talent with relatively limited resources.  He's already nailed the Richardson pick.   

I can't believe all of the hate on this board.   a win is a win is a win and this team is 2-1 with a rookie QB during a rebuilding year and no dick Curl to manage the challenges and the clock.        

Yes, today was an ugly game but the Jets absolutely dominated the line of scrimmage.    This is a top 5 defense that will keep the team in every game this season.    With any offense at all this team has a real chance each and every week.   

Next week is a huge test on the road but I honestly thought the season would be lost by now and this team is showing some balls.   For a rebuild this is actually fun to watch.    

After next weeks game we will officially be in the thick of things, and it will make or break our season. The Jets will be heading to ATL for that Monday night game with a 3-1 record (assuming we beat Tennessee). If we can win 3 out of the next 6 games (Tenn, ATL, PIT, NE, Cincy, NO) then we will have a 5-4 record heading into our bye week. The second half our the season is (BUF, BAL, MIA, OAK, CAR, CLE, MIA). My opinion, The Jets can win 10 games, possibly even 11 games this "rebuilding" season. I can see the Jets splitting half of those games before the bye, however I can also see them sweeping the Bills, splitting with Miami, beating the Raiders, Panthers and Cleveland. Truth be told, though I didnt count it I can see us giving the Ravens a run for their money this year as well. They are not good on offense at all this year. 

The Jets defense is simply awesome, and though he throws INT's, one thing Geno does is stretch the field. 

One thing that I noticed that I've always felt we needed to do on offense is: When there's only one deep safety playing the middle of the field and the CB's are playing bump coverage then we should throw the ball deep every single time. In todays league a WR having 1on 1 coverage is basically open. It seemed like every time I seen one deep safety playing the middle of the field with the CB playing up our WR was instantly on a go route. I was loving what I saw today and the fact that Marty wasnt overly conservative. He took his chances. 

Didnt mean to go off topic. Anyway, The Jets can win 10 games if they can continue to get Holmes/Hill into the offense. And if Powell keeps this up then this will only help Geno. 

They haven't played anyone yet.... Lets not get all excited eh....they could have won the pats game, they only won the first game by that penalty, And the bills suck worse than we do...meltdown in the second half...geez.

Yes they have. They played the Bucs, Pats and Bills. And that 2-1 record seems pretty legit because though we should have lost to the Bucs we should have beaten the Pats that second game. 

But that's the thing.  The things that are wrong are VERY fixable.  What perhaps you should be excited about is that our front 7 just got 8 sacks from 7 different people, we MAY have a real QB, and our running game looks improved.  That to me is a combination of competent coaching and a GM who found us some talent with relatively limited resources.  He's already nailed the Richardson pick.   

56 sacks in one game must be an NFL franchise record. Kinda pissed I missed 48 of them.  LOL

Good post man.  We look like every week we get a little bit better and in tru Jet form a little worse.  LOL

Penalties freakishly high this games, expect that's not a trend. 

They haven't played anyone yet.... Lets not get all excited eh....they could have won the pats game, they only won the first game by that penalty, And the bills suck worse than we do...meltdown in the second half...geez.

According to everyone at the start of the year we were at best the third worse team in the league.  Going by that everyone we play is someone.   Unless we dot that thing were once we beat them then it just proves they stink.  We could do that one if it pleases everyone.

Who says Im not excited???  I am.  But yesterdays performance was still mediocre overall by our offense, our defense did some really good things but needs to improve if we want to be a good team.  If/when we play a good team, mistakes and boneheaded plays will burn us badly and we will look like a hot mess.  Im happy we have 2 wins, but see enough going wrong that keeps my enthusiasm in check.  Hopefully they figure it out.  Through 3 weeks, winning is happening.  Now its time to fix the mistakes.

After next weeks game we will officially be in the thick of things, and it will make or break our season. The Jets will be heading to ATL for that Monday night game with a 3-1 record (assuming we beat Tennessee). If we can win 3 out of the next 6 games (Tenn, ATL, PIT, NE, Cincy, NO) then we will have a 5-4 record heading into our bye week. The second half our the season is (BUF, BAL, MIA, OAK, CAR, CLE, MIA). My opinion, The Jets can win 10 games, possibly even 11 games this "rebuilding" season. I can see the Jets splitting half of those games before the bye, however I can also see them sweeping the Bills, splitting with Miami, beating the Raiders, Panthers and Cleveland. Truth be told, though I didnt count it I can see us giving the Ravens a run for their money this year as well. They are not good on offense at all this year. 

The Jets defense is simply awesome, and though he throws INT's, one thing Geno does is stretch the field. 

One thing that I noticed that I've always felt we needed to do on offense is: When there's only one deep safety playing the middle of the field and the CB's are playing bump coverage then we should throw the ball deep every single time. In todays league a WR having 1on 1 coverage is basically open. It seemed like every time I seen one deep safety playing the middle of the field with the CB playing up our WR was instantly on a go route. I was loving what I saw today and the fact that Marty wasnt overly conservative. He took his chances. 

Didnt mean to go off topic. Anyway, The Jets can win 10 games if they can continue to get Holmes/Hill into the offense. And if Powell keeps this up then this will only help Geno

On the schedule, that does not look so good on paper to me, the Dolphins are 3-0, the Faclcons will be MUCH healthier when we roll in to town in 2 weeks, whoever Cromartie isn't covering between Julio, and White will probably catch 10 balls for 150, and 2 TD's, and Cromartie will also give up his share of completions against those 2 guys IF healthy, they are not healthy right now, but 2 weeks from now will be different IMO, Bills on the road isn't an automatic, NE is what it is, usually the 2nd game between these 2 teams end in a NE land slide victory under Rex, Carolina is good, NO Saints offense is just getting the wheels put back on, and probably will be clicking on all cylinders be the time we get to play them, not to mention Mr. Ryan, Rob that is has that D playing great the Saints have given up less points then the Jets, Cincy is SB contenders this year in a down AFC outside of the Broncos, Ravens are a tough team to play PERIOD.  That pretty much means the Jets really can't lose any games VS Pitt, Cle, Tennessee, Oakland, and HAVE to get 1 VS Miami to get to 10, or 11 wins, I don't think the Jets will lose every game against the teams I listed above as tough, but I don't see them going 4-5 against the likes of Atl, NO, Car, NE, Mia x2, Buff, Cincy, and Balt, or 4-0 VS Pitt, Cle, Tennessee, and Oakland.  I figure more like 3-6, and 3-1, and the Jets finish 8-8, BUT there will be 3 games in those 7 losses that will be head scratching losses, kinda like yesterday where the Jets should have won the game 38-6, and I that might be generous, and they find a way to beat themselves, whether it be bone headed penalties, turnovers, coaching decisions, IE stupid challenges, bad TO's, clock management, and stupid play calling.

The other bolded area is something you won't see many defensive coaches do outside of the Rex, and Rob Ryans, Greg Williams, M Pettine, W Phillips, and the GB DC forget his name, most defenses are willing to bend, but don't break now in the new NFL when they know they can score on offense, they have no problem letting teams march down the field, and kick FG's all day after drives stall inside the redzone when the field shrinks, the big play is what kills, and most teams will always keep 2 deep, the GREAT QB's can move the 2 deep safties with great play fakes, and great look offs with their eyes, and pumps, but not many can do it enough to make a difference, and still get there big plays down the field that is the difference between the good, and great team ELITE QB play, the other good teams are just about equal everywhere else IMO.

All that being said, I wouldn't be completly shocked if the Jets get lucky, or get the ship tightened up, and steal 1, or 2 of those games I chalked up as losses to get to 9, or 10 wins, but still that will probably have to get you into a tie breaking scenario to get in the playoffs, so it will matter which games they sneak out, they have to be AFC games.

Also 1 thing is clear IF Rex Ryan is here for the foreseeable future, and Pace, and Landry are replaced with speedy talent like the D Davis, and Richardson type of talens at their positions, this defense will approach 2000 Ravens status one of these years when it just all clicks, and everyone stays healthy, 8 sacks yesterday, 8 last time they did that was the 1988 season which was the twilight of the sack exchange, this defensive line, Coples, Davis, and Harris have the making of the Sack Exchange 2.0, watching Richardson, Mo Wilk, and Coples jump snaps on obvious passing downs, and shooting their gap responsibilities on obvious 3rd, and short running downs giving Davis, Pace, and Harris the ability to rap up the ball carrier at, or behind the line of scrimmage, and mauling offensive lineman is SO MUCH fun to watch, yes after games are over, and if the score is not in the Jets favor I will be upset, but watching this defense is the most fun I've had watching Jets football since 1998, and as bad as Geno can look at times the offense can be fun to watch, knowing that the ball will be pushed down the field through the air over 20 yards multiple times a game makes it much more fun to watch even when things don't work out like the Patriots game, hell Geno missed 3 sure fire TD passes in the 1st half alone that would have been for 50+ yards, but 1 of the 3 were completed so I can't kill him on that one to bad (the one to Hill for a big gain, Hill had his man beat by 5 yards, but had to stop, and wait for the throw, if it's thrown just a little further Hill walks into the endzone), and he missed Tone down the seam twice with nobody in the area to stop him from splitting it for 6 with badly over thrown balls, so IF Geno starts hitting those plays, and the Jets stay healthy then yea I'll get on board for 10 wins, but I am not going to expect it, but the future is bright at the very least defensively, if Geno is the real deal the Jets are just 1 OL, 1 backfield playmaker, solid TE, and 1 Safety playmaker away from being in the top class of the league.  I am a big believer in S. Hill, the kid is still so RAW, and so YOUNG, he will get it, and become a dominant WR IMO somewhere around late next season, or year 4 kinda like V Jackson did, Kerley can play the slot for 5 more years, or the Jets can find a mid round speedy slot guy in the draft, and with all the cap space Holmes should be retained for the next 2 years IF he keeps his nose clean in the locker room, and off the field, I could care less about the media games he plays, I actually love it how he sticks it to those douches, I don't judge him by his awnsers, or lack there of during his interviews, if he is getting the ball, and he should there is no reason Holmes shouldn't be happy here, and no reason for him not to play out his contract under those circumstances, dude is an all world talent when healthy, and on the field, and a fierce competitor who wants to win, and yes he is a diva WR who thinks his teams best chance to win is by getting him the ball, but most WR's think this way.

And yet with all your negativity here we are 2-1 (if not for Gates 3-0) when everybody had us 0-3 and the worst team in the NFL. 

Who says Im not excited??? I am. But yesterdays performance was still mediocre overall by our offense...

Are you kidding? They held the ball for over 34 minutes, scored 27 points, gained over 500 yards - averaging 7.3 yards per play! That's mediocre?

I'll take mediocre offense every week, then.

Are you kidding? They held the ball for over 34 minutes, scored 27 points, gained over 500 yards - averaging 7.3 yards per play! That's mediocre?

I'll take mediocre offense every week, then.

What I liked most about the offense is that for the first time in memory they showed the ability to come back from penalties and negative plays to convert 1st downs.    For the past 13 years it seemed as soon as there was a negative play there was a punt.   Yesterday the Jets converted 3rd and long as well as chipping away at 1st / 2nd and long to get to 3rd and reasonable.  

Archived