Clyde Gates season over

Scott Dierking

Writing was on the wall when the signed Cribbs and Salas. While many people like to think that this is a positive, I'm not sure replacing one mediocre player with two guys who weren't on an active roster last week is necessarily a good thing.  Hopefully Cribbs' knee checks out and Nelson or someone else steps up, but thrusting someone else into a starting role who shouldn't be there isn't that promising.

I don't know if it is the "softer" camps, or problems with Jets trainers or conditioning, but there sure does seem to be a rash of injuries.

I think it's just all over the league, it is only more magnified because of how closely we watch our team. Injuries seem to be happening at a much higher rate now that their are shorter camps and less contact practices,  granted I have no data to back up any of these statements so they could be dead wrong, but it just seems there's way more season-ending injuries this year than I've ever seen.  There has to have been at least 20 ACLs since the beginning of training camp, and that's probably being generous.

Clyde GatesSeveral sources are reporting that the Jets have placed Clyde Gates on the injured-reserve list because of his shoulder injury.  Mike Goodson was also placed on the injured-reserve list.

Taking the two roster spots are Josh Cribbs (click link for full story) and wide receiver Greg Salas who was signed off of the Philadelphia Eagles practice squad.

Salas was a fourth-round pick by the Rams in 2011 and had 27 catches in six games for them as a rookie. He was traded to the Patriots before last season and spent a few months on their practice squad before being claimed off of waivers by the Eagles.

Kimberley Martin also reported that the Jets have added Miguel Maysonet to the practice squad.

The team also confirmed the addition of former
Stony Brook running back
Miguel Maysonet
to the practice squad

You know your offense is devoid of talent when......

1.   Mark Sanchez injured in preseason is a big story

2.   Vladamir Ducasse is opening day starter

3.   Stephen Hill is your leading wr

4.  You leading wr averages 3 catches / game

5.  You "miss out" on signing a Spadola

6.  Losing Clyde Gates for the season is a big loss  

1. Mark Sanchez injured in preseason is a big story

2. Vladamir Ducasse is opening day starter

3. Stephen Hill is your leading wr

4. You leading wr averages 3 catches / game

5. You "miss out" on signing a Spadola

6. Losing Clyde Gates for the season is a big loss

Ouch

1.   Mark Sanchez injured in preseason is a big story

2.   Vladamir Ducasse is opening day starter

3.   Stephen Hill is your leading wr

4.  You leading wr averages 3 catches / game

5.  You "miss out" on signing a Spadola

6.  Losing Clyde Gates for the season is a big loss  

7. Losing Mike Goodson for the season is a big loss.

8. Kellen Winslow who was out of Football for 2 season is leading your team in receptions. 

As the leading and only member of the Clyde Gates fan club I wonder how many weeks/years before Spadola reaches 12 catches?  I am interested that they signed Cribbs instead of Spadola.  That might be that they are pissed that he chose the Dolphins practice squad over theirs, or that Spadola can't return kicks.  The guy was in the offense all year and could have been signed back to the active roster, but they elected to leave him in Miami. 

Jets placed WR Clyde Gates on injured reserve with a shoulder injury, ending his season.

Gates separated his left shoulder in Sunday's loss. Injuries in the Jets' receiver corps had forced the third-year speedster into heavy snaps (140), but predictably, he caught only 12 passes in six games. He committed three drops in the process. Gates is not an effective NFL player, but he's signed through 2014 in New York.

Archived