Preemptive Geno Can't Play In the Cold Thread

BroadwayJoe12

I know it's going to be brought up eventually and parroted around as though it's fact, so I figured might as well stop it before it gets a head of steam. He had a poor bowl game in the cold, in which the whole team played poorly and all of a sudden that equates to him never playing well in the cold. 

I've mentioned it in other threads prior to and after he was drafted, but still the "he can't play in the cold" theory is passed around on draft and football forums all over.  It's just one of those things someone reads on the internet and then repeats as though it's fact.  

When the temperature dipped below 41 degrees, Geno went 4-1 where he completed 90-of-126 passes (71.4%)  for 1,125 yards and 10 tds to 0 ints.

Now, this isn't to say he is going to have great games whenever it's cold, that's definitely a possibility. BUT, it certainly won't be because the FO made a boneheaded move by drafting a kid they knew couldn't play in the cold. 

I know it's going to be brought up eventually and parroted around as though it's fact, so I figured might as well stop it before it gets a head of steam. He had a poor bowl game in the cold, in which the whole team played poorly and all of a sudden that equates to him never playing well in the cold. 

I've mentioned it in other threads prior to and after he was drafted, but still the "he can't play in the cold" theory is passed around on draft and football forums all over.  It's just one of those things someone reads on the internet and then repeats as though it's fact.  

When the temperature dipped below 41 degrees, Geno went 4-1 where he completed 90-of-126 passes (71.4%)  for 1,125 yards and 10 tds to 0 ints.

Now, this isn't to say he is going to have great games whenever it's cold, that's definitely a possibility. BUT, it certainly won't be because the FO made a boneheaded move by drafting a kid they knew couldn't play in the cold. 

Shouldn't affect his hand-offs. We should run for 250 on the Bills.

Shouldn't affect his hand-offs. We should run for 250 on the Bills.

The Bills have been allowing a decent chunk of yardage on the ground against opposing running backs, but have stymied them in the red zone, only allowing 3 rushing tds all season I believe. If we get into that position, I fully expect that to change. Norleans is one of, if not the worst rushing defense in the league, so while I don't anticipate Ivory shredding Buffalo like that, I certainly do expect him to have a successful day.

The Bills have been allowing a decent chunk of yardage on the ground against opposing running backs, but have stymied them in the red zone, only allowing 3 rushing tds all season I believe. If we get into that position, I fully expect that to change. Norleans is one of, if not the worst rushing defense in the league, so while I don't anticipate Ivory shredding Buffalo like that, I certainly do expect him to have a successful day.

Didn't we hit the Bills for like 190 the first time we played? And Ivory was hurt.

Didn't we hit the Bills for like 190 the first time we played? And Ivory was hurt.

I believe so, I think that was the game where we had two 100 yard receivers and a 100 yard rusher. I think we'll have success running on them, but seeing as how I traded for Ivory in fantasy, I'm expecting my awful karma to prevent him from having another breakout day. So I'm 100% prepared to take the blame if he doesn't do well.

I believe so, I think that was the game where we had two 100 yard receivers and a 100 yard rusher. I think we'll have success running on them, but seeing as how I traded for Ivory in fantasy, I'm expecting my awful karma to prevent him from having another breakout day. So I'm 100% prepared to take the blame if he doesn't do well.

That's why you need to go by my strategy, and try to start the DEF going against the Jets as often as possible, accepting that while it may screw you at that position in FF, it'll help out your other of their players, plus help the Jets pick up a win.  My playing the Saints D helped offset that I was also starting Ivory at RB that week, and I was ultimately a very happy man when all was said and done.

You're all welcome BTW.

That's why you need to go by my strategy, and try to start the DEF going against the Jets as often as possible, accepting that while it may screw you at that position in FF, it'll help out your other of their players, plus help the Jets pick up a win.  My playing the Saints D helped offset that I was also starting Ivory at RB that week, and I was ultimately a very happy man when all was said and done.

You're all welcome BTW.

I am doubling down this week and starting the Jets D.  I believe in only the highest of highs or the lowest of lows.

I've had him stashed on my bench all season. I can start him, Andre Ellington, or Stevie Johnson this week. Gonna go with Ivory and the Jets D and go down with the ship.

I keep flip flopping between him and C.Johnson this week....Right now I have Chris in but I have until 8pm to change him out.

Morgantown WV is FUKKIN cold. Geno is absolutely used to sub 25 degree football.

Perhaps so but at some point it gets so cold the fingers can't get the grip they can at a higher temp.  Large hands are an advantage in throwing the football under any circumstances, even more so in very cold weather.  You probably have to get well below 20° for this to be a factor.

Here's a chart taken at a convention of piano players.  Geno's is 9¼ in.  In the average range.  EJ Manual's was 10¼.

HandSizeChartNewWeb02_zps655af17b.jpg

stop making excuses, he simply cant play in the cold.  :winking0001:

Perhaps so but at some point it gets so cold the fingers can't get the grip they can at a higher temp.  Large hands are an advantage in throwing the football under any circumstances, even more so in very cold weather.  You probably have to get well below 20° for this to be a factor.

Here's a chart taken at a convention of piano players.  Geno's is 9¼ in.  In the average range.  EJ Manual's was 10¼.

HandSizeChartNewWeb02_zps655af17b.jpg

It's true that it certainly can have an affect on the player's ability, but it still didn't stop Sanchez and his giant hands from being awful. 

Archived