WIth all the draft picks we should have, how many QB's would you take?

AFJF

I say three.  Draft three QB's and let them fight it out with Geno next season.

This team has been horrible at QB for the majority of the 25 years (wow) that I've been a fan.

It's a QB driven league and no other position on the field matters nearly as much as the QB.  Some are speculating that the Jets will have 12 picks and they will have a ton of cap room.  That leaves 9 picks and FA to fill other holes.  QB in the 1st or 2nd depending on who's there, QB in the 4th, QB somewhere in the 6th/7th.

Let the best QB play, next best is your back-up....trade anyone who shows something for a late pick, cut the guys who show nothing.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty sure with the limited amount of camp thses guys get two qb's competing is the only way to get enough reps. 

Reps with the 1's for sure.  Take the guys on top of your pre-season depth chart and let them get the reps.  The other rooks work with offensive coaches on the side.  Get reports back from them to the OC on who looks the best.  Increase the tempo and work them in.  It's not uncommon for a team to bring 4-5 QB's in to camp.  Tired of watching them draft one bum every 3-4 years. 

We should just keep taking QB's in the first and second rounds until we find one that sticks. If they are no good by week 6 or 7 then he should be benched, released, hanged, shot and the such. Damn the ramifications on the salary cap.

I disagree.  I think it would be far more responsible to take one guy in the early rounds, one guy in the middle, and one guy late.  The mid/late rounders have close to no impact on the cap with the new CBA.

Or, they can keep doing what they always do and draft a scrub every 3-4 years.  It's worked wonders so far.

It's a deep QB class.  I'd like to see them take advantage of it.

Reps with the 1's for sure.  Take the guys on top of your pre-season depth chart and let them get the reps.  The other rooks work with offensive coaches on the side.  Get reports back from them to the OC on who looks the best.  Increase the tempo and work them in.  It's not uncommon for a team to bring 4-5 QB's in to camp.  Tired of watching them draft one bum every 3-4 years. 

Only way you know you have anything worth hving is by getting reps with the 1's.  I like your thinking but pretty sure if we are looking for an elite QB it will be a "one-at-a-time" process.  We can always add a late round pick to maybe catch lightening in the bottle but then we have to worry about Stugotz begging for them to get playing time over the starter.  LOL

Only way you know you have anything worth hving is by getting reps with the 1's.  I like your thinking but pretty sure if we are looking for an elite QB it will be a "one-at-a-time" process.  We can always add a late round pick to maybe catch lightening in the bottle but then we have to worry about Stugotz begging for them to get playing time over the starter.  LOL

Do we have any 1's to get reps with? Just sayin.....

Drafting 3 QB's for the hell of it doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me.

Who said anything about "for the hell of it"?  Draft them because they're insanely difficult to find (it has taken this team several decades and they're still looking). 

You draft them to get them in to your camp, watch them play, keep the best ones.  I'm not suggesting we take 11 QBs, but I don't see anything wrong with picking three and hoping ONE of them is any good. 

Surprised to see how many people are happy with the current 30 year search for a QB.

Who said anything about "for the hell of it"?  Draft them because they're insanely difficult to find (it has taken this team several decades and they're still looking). 

You draft them to get them in to your camp, watch them play, keep the best ones.  I'm not suggesting we take 11 QBs, but I don't see anything wrong with picking three and hoping ONE of them is any good. 

Surprised to see how many people are happy with the current 30 year search for a QB.

Drafting 3 QB's doesnt mean we'll hit on any of them. The QB being the ultimate magic bullet isnt the case. There is zero talent on this offense right now...and using 3 picks on QB's isnt going to change that.

Drafting 3 QB's doesnt mean we'll hit on any of them. The QB being the ultimate magic bullet isnt the case. There is zero talent on this offense right now...and using 3 picks on QB's isnt going to change that.

No guarentees we hit on any of the 12 or so players that will be drafted either.  Why not place an emphasis on the most important position on the field?  I'd be completely happy with 3 QB's and nine additional picks plus free agency to fill other needs.

No guarentees we hit on any of the 12 or so players that will be drafted either.  Why not place an emphasis on the most important position on the field?  I'd be completely happy with 3 QB's and nine additional picks plus free agency to fill other needs.

Drafting 3 just signals we dont know what the hell were doing so we're just going to increase our chances of getting lucky instead.

Drafting 3 just signals we dont know what the hell were doing so we're just going to increase our chances of getting lucky instead.

Signals to who?  Do you think they should take public perception in to account on draft day?  I'd rather they pick out three guys who they believe can play the postion and go with it.  Again, this is  JMO becuase I'm tired of the QB sh*t show.  I'm 100% aware of the fact that this is a pipe dream of mine and that they'll probably continue drafting one QB every few years and hope to get lucky, instead of taking three at once and increasing their chances of getting lucky.  QB sh*t show.  Sick of it.

god_damn_right_breaking_bad.gif

It worked for DeWayne Robertson, amirite?   ;)

Drob started as a rookie (Josh evans suspended), played 80+ games and recorded 16 sacks over the course of his 5 year Jets career. Honestly he wasn't even close to the bust everyone remembers him as... now Gholston on the other hand... that guy was worthless. Right now Geno is trending better than Gholston but not as good as Drob. 

ONE, do anything possible to get the one you think is the real deal, and given where the Jets will be in the draft and the possible draft partners, that one will be Johnny Manziel.

He's going to be a top 10 pick.  I don't buy this nonsense about him going in the middle of round 1.  Someone - if not multiple teams - will like him enough to take him higher if they need a QB.  A guy like Manziel you either like him or you don't.  And if you like him you're not waiting around until pick #20.  He's not an all potential-only guy who never did anything in college and you're hoping to strike lightning. 

Especially nowadays with the new CBA.  The risk of being wrong on a high pick doesn't carry nearly the same penalty to the rest of your team.  Before, a bust was a waste of a very high draft pick AND the cap room of a HOF superstar (depending on the position).  Now it's just the draft pick and a few million per, which won't cripple a team's cap.  Not an insignificant difference.

I'd draft the best QB on the board next year, Smith reminds me a bit to much like Sanchez at times...

Yeah I agree with this.  They both have good arms, good feet, no brains.  Truth is, they both have had the same scarcity of talent on offense and thus similar results the last two years.  Sanchez had it worse actually, with that horrendous Sporano at OC.  Bottom line, Rex built a defense with all the draft picks and said screw the rest.  Geno and Sanchez will probably be successful on other teams later in their careers.  But not here.  There's nothing to work with.  Jets should draft a QB, the best 2 OL available, the best Wr available, and the best TE available.  Spend the rest on another WR, S, OLB or whatever.  Then let the QB's fight it out with some talent and protection on their side of the ball.

He's going to be a top 10 pick.  I don't buy this nonsense about him going in the middle of round 1.  Someone - if not multiple teams - will like him enough to take him higher if they need a QB.  A guy like Manziel you either like him or you don't.  And if you like him you're not waiting around until pick #20.  He's not an all potential-only guy who never did anything in college and you're hoping to strike lightning. 

Especially nowadays with the new CBA.  The risk of being wrong on a high pick doesn't carry nearly the same penalty to the rest of your team.  Before, a bust was a waste of a very high draft pick AND the cap room of a HOF superstar (depending on the position).  Now it's just the draft pick and a few million per, which won't cripple a team's cap.  Not an insignificant difference.

I don't know if he's going top 10, you gotta remember Carr and Boyd are coming out to along with potentially Mariota and Hundley. It will be interesting to see where he falls, hopefully to us.

I don't know if he's going top 10, you gotta remember Carr and Boyd are coming out to along with potentially Mariota and Hundley. It will be interesting to see where he falls, hopefully to us.

10, 11, whatever.  I don't think he's dropping below that.  

We'll see.  April is a long ways away.

I also remember QBs who were middle-of-the-round picks like Sanchez and Tannehill.  Or end of the round (if not out of round 1 outright) like Manuel.

It's not like it used to be because whiffing isn't the cap killer it used to be when you draft a Blaine Gabbert.  Was he (as well as Ponder and Locker) all projected in the top 12 in November of 2010? Maybe Locker because of his physical tools, but I don't really remember.  What of others like Jay Cutler? Who had him at #11 in mid-November? Flacco in round 1 at all back in November? He wasn't even a lock to go before (or in) round 3 at that point.  Brady Quinn was top 3 in November of 2006.

My point is only this: lots can - and will - change.  If he gets drafted between #16-20 then I owe you a warm pretzel.

Drob started as a rookie (Josh evans suspended), played 80+ games and recorded 16 sacks over the course of his 5 year Jets career. Honestly he wasn't even close to the bust everyone remembers him as... now Gholston on the other hand... that guy was worthless. Right now Geno is trending better than Gholston but not as good as Drob. 

LOLZ at you still making excuses for that lump of sh!t.

The Jets traded two firsts and a fourth for "Baby Sapp," and got mediocre production out of him.  He was so bad, they traded him to Denver for basically nothing.  

I guess that's your definition of not being "even close to the bust everyone remembers him as."

No offense, as I always liked you on the other site, but your talent evaluation skills kind of suck. 

On the bright side, I'm happy to see you finally admitting that Gholston was complete disaster.

Archived