Jags Open to Trading 3rd Overall Pick

jgb

Uh, Redskins made the playoffs in RGIII's first year, and then his injuries caught up with him the 2nd year. To imply that the Redskins will now suck "the next 4 years", because of a Franchise QB who already has proven himself, that when healthy is a great QB is quite perplexing. His ROOKIE QBR was like 105, unheard of numbers for a rookie, especially in Florham park.

We should be so "unfortunate" to ever have a QB with the talent of RGIII.

Injuries count.  You need to take them into consideration when you trade as much as they did for one player, let alone a running QB, who as we all know, will eventually lose his legs.  Griffin may already have.  And, he still played 13 games this year.

I'd be happy to have a QB of his talent.  However, I'm not sure I'd sacrifice 3 1st round picks for it.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Injuries count.  You need to take them into consideration when you trade as much as they did for one player, let alone a running QB, who as we all know, will eventually lose his legs.  Griffin may already have.  And, he still played 13 games this year.

I'd be happy to have a QB of his talent.  However, I'm not sure I'd sacrifice 3 1st round picks for it.

I agree, the price was steep, and in the end may be too high, BUT the REDSKINS at least realized, and whether a wise move or not, were willing to try to get the one thing in this league you absolutely must have to compete, and that is a FRANCHISE QB. I give them credit for trying, and RGIII, may still be the QB we all expect him to be, but they did take a shot at a freakish athlete. We shall see, but I do give them credit, for taking a huge risk with that trade.

I agree, the price was steep, and in the end may be too high, BUT the REDSKINS at least realized, and whether a wise move or not, were willing to try to get the one thing in this league you absolutely must have to compete, and that is a FRANCHISE QB. I give them credit for trying, and RGIII, may still be the QB we all expect him to be, but they did take a shot at a freakish athlete. We shall see, but I do give them credit, for taking a huge risk with that trade.

We're on the same page as far as the need for a QB.  However, if you make a move that bold, you simply can't miss.  Look how long we were stuck with Sanchez caliber play, and we didn't even give up THAT much to get him.

No doubt the Jets want a franchise QB too.  It's why they made the move for Sanchez.  It's why they drafted Geno, who was still a good prospect, despite dropping.  They just aren't (hopefully, at least) willing to risk the rest of the team for a big ?, which Manziel is.

If the logic in play is "it was a dumb move, but at least it was an irrevocably big dumb move," we never should have fired Tannenbaum.

If the logic in play is "it was a dumb move, but at least it was an irrevocably big dumb move," we never should have fired Tannenbaum.

Maybe actually. So far OUR move has been proven to be unbelievably bad, BUT what compounded it for Tanny, and Rex to some extent, was not the trade up, but the decision to extend him, knowing pretty much, that he was an awful QB. The Redskins, gave up more, but so far, when healthy, RGIII has performed like a FRANCHISE QB, his rookie year QBR was Peyton-like, and unlike the JETS, if RGIII shows fragility issues or declines like Sanchez did, that I don't believe, like the JETS, that they will "reward" such play.

Trade up, Try to get that guy, BUT if you make a mistake, don't perpetuate that mistake and ruin your franchise like Tanny and Rex did with SANCHEZ.

IMO, if you trade to the Rams #13 pick, you could probably nab one of the forecast Top Three QBs. I think there's a good chance that Derek Carr will get picked by the Jags when the time comes. Gus Bradley supposedly fell deeply in love with his arm and demeanor at the Senior Bowl.

Interesting tidbit about Bradley and Carr. One thing we can all be 100% sure of, that whatever we all think we're 100% sure of will be flipped upside down a bit by draft day. 

To be fair as there aren't even 32 competent QBs its going to be hard as **** to find a good backup. That said I completely agree that the backup situation has been horrible here.

Good backup, or at least one not in a wheelchair? The past 2 "backups" for the Jets Garrard, and Brunell, were life long members of AARP, and ate most of their food through a straw.

With just a modicum of effort from Idzik, I'm sure the Jets can come up with a viable backup, and anyone of :

Vick

Hill

Schaub

Kolb

Cassell

would be adequate. Its scary when some teams have TWO QB's on their roster, that are both better than anything the Jets have like NE (Brady/Mallett), GB (Rodgers/ Flynn) Wash (RGIII/Cousins) etc.

Houston, IMO, takes Clowney at one and choose between Mettenberger and/or McCarron later on.

Cleveland just hired Kyle Shanahan at OC, and his first statement was how much he loved Manziel.

Oakland, if they're smart (hahaha) waits a year and chooses between Jameis Winston and Mariota.

the HC and GM in Oakland have a very, very short leash this season.   They either need to win-now or show they are building towards something.   Making progress with a rookie QB has a better chance of getting another season going 6-10 with Matt McGloin.  

Good backup, or at least one not in a wheelchair? The past 2 "backups" for the Jets Garrard, and Brunell, were life long members of AARP, and ate most of their food through a straw.

With just a modicum of effort from Idzik, I'm sure the Jets can come up with a viable backup, and anyone of :

Vick

Hill

Schaub

Kolb

Cassell

would be adequate. Its scary when some teams have TWO QB's on their roster, that are both better than anything the Jets have like NE (Brady/Mallett), GB (Rodgers/ Flynn) Wash (RGIII/Cousins) etc.

Really?  Mallet is better than Geno? Why, because he plays in NE?

Don't get little brother syndrome (where EVERYthing they do is better than us), it propagates a loser mentality. **** the Pats.  

Really?  Mallet is better than Geno? Why, because he plays in NE?

Don't get little brother syndrome (where EVERYthing they do is better than us), it propagates a loser mentality. **** the Pats.  

Would you trade straight up Mallet for Smith? In a heartbeat. Dude is 6'6" with a cannon attached to his right shoulder. If Mallet had been in the 2013 draft, he would have been the 1st QB off the board.

Exactly. If Geno doesn't improve, hopefully at least we've improved the team around him and we suck for 1 more year. As we're seeing with the Redskins, if we make the big trade up, if Manziel isn't a superstar, we likely suck for the next 4 years.

in no way would i be happy if we trade away that many draft picks to move up to #3

not saying your opinion is invalid but i'm really sick of hearing the "we can't judge the qb until he has talent around him" thing. not trying toto shoot the messanger but after 5 years i've lost my patience.

You can take the top qb every year and with no weapons around him and you'll keep losing...

If we trade down, I only want sammy watkins, the year we traded down for sanchez I wanted crabtree.

Exactly. If Geno doesn't improve, hopefully at least we've improved the team around him and we suck for 1 more year. As we're seeing with the Redskins, if we make the big trade up, if Manziel isn't a superstar, we likely suck for the next 4 years.

The Redskins bad season was due to their defense and a RGIII who could not run as he could in 2012. He has a ways to go as a pocket QB but the last time completely healthy saw him up 14-0 over the Seahawks in the 2012 play-offs.

Skins have some nice talent at RB-WR-TE-QB.  In fact their back-up QB passes the eye test over Geno IMO. They should get better faster than us unless Snyder starts meddling. 

This draft does not have the sure thing QB worth trading up for when you consider all our other needs.

I could easily see Geno, Sanchez restructured and Simms as TC  depth chart. 

It's hard to get into a position to draft a franchise quarterback if you're not in the top 12 to begin with.

What we need at quarterback is simply competition for Geno that lets us cut Sanchez. In other words, basically anybody. I don't see QB on the first two days of the draft.

My latest mock has us drafting Blake Bortles.

Every quarterback needs a reliable playmaker, who can consistently get open or make the tough catch. A go to guy. Alot of receivers don't get the credit they deserve because of there qb's name and vice versa but none the less the jets don't have this combination.

Sammy watkins has a nice nfl size and skill set, and can only get better.

The jets were literally 1 game away from the playoffs with out a thousand yard receiver.

How big of a impact watkins can make as a rookie is unknown.

But long term if health isn't a concern with quality qb play he could be the best jet receiver of all time.

So why not make the trade for him, they may not want much for the pick after all

The Redskins bad season was due to their defense and a RGIII who could not run as he could in 2012. He has a ways to go as a pocket QB but the last time completely healthy saw him up 14-0 over the Seahawks in the 2012 play-offs.

Skins have some nice talent at RB-WR-TE-QB. In fact their back-up QB passes the eye test over Geno IMO. They should get better faster than us unless Snyder starts meddling.

This draft does not have the sure thing QB worth trading up for when you consider all our other needs.

I could easily see Geno, Sanchez restructured and Simms as TC depth chart.

Even if Sanchez emerges as their best veteran option (unlikely, IMHO), there'll be a fourth QB in there from the draft who'll be expected to win a roster spot.

It's hard to get into a position to draft a franchise quarterback if you're not in the top 12 to begin with.

What we need at quarterback is simply competition for Geno that lets us cut Sanchez. In other words, basically anybody. I don't see QB on the first two days of the draft.

A QB in the third round wouldn't surprise me at all.

In the first?

Every quarterback needs a reliable playmaker, who can consistently get open or make the tough catch. A go to guy. Alot of receivers don't get the credit they deserve because of there qb's name and vice versa but none the less the jets don't have this combination.

Sammy watkins has a nice nfl size and skill set, and can only get better.

The jets were literally 1 game away from the playoffs with out a thousand yard receiver.

How big of a impact watkins can make as a rookie is unknown.

But long term if health isn't a concern with quality qb play he could be the best jet receiver of all time.

So why not make the trade for him, they may not want much for the pick after all

The best case for Sammy Watkins can be made by the incredible numbers he put up, catching passes from probably the LEAST accurate QB (Tajh Boyd) entering this years draft. Considering the QB we have had very poor accuracy numbers, obviously Watkins would be a huge asset to a QB like Smith, as he certainly inflated Boyd's numbers.

The best case for Sammy Watkins can be made by the incredible numbers he put up, catching passes from probably the LEAST accurate QB (Tajh Boyd) entering this years draft. Considering the QB we have had very poor accuracy numbers, obviously Watkins would be a huge asset to a QB like Smith, as he certainly inflated Boyd's numbers.

What about all the other WRs who are entering the draft that had to play with QBs who aren't or may never be draftable?  Boyd is not a good NFL prospect, but you're over-looking the fact that he was a very good college player.

What about all the other WRs who are entering the draft that had to play with QBs who aren't or may never be draftable?  Boyd is not a good NFL prospect, but you're over-looking the fact that he was a very good college player.

Actually, many of the top prospects played with QB's that will go early like Beckham and Landry who were catching from Mettenberger, or Benjamin who was catching from next years #1, Winston. Cooks QB out at Oregon St is a great QB, Matthews at Vandy caught from ? Was it Nate Montana. Lee at USC, has a young guy that will be a pro prospect, I believe.

Tajh Boyd was a good COLLEGE QB, and had incredible weapons, Sammy Watkins, and Deandre Hopkins. In college, those dudes could make you and I look good. Look what Tavon Austin did for Geno at WVU.

No, Boyd makes WATKINS an even greater prospect, as he is just plain awful.

SB Nation just updated their MOCK, and they have the first 3 picks as Follows:

Cleveland (via trade with Houston)  Johnny Manziel

St. Louis Rams:  Blake Bortles

Jacksonville : Teddy Bridgewater

Notes. Cleveland trades #4 and #29 to move to the #1 slot to get Manziel. St. Louis is projected to give up on BRADFORD, cutting him or seeking a trade, and taking Bortles.

If this holds any truth, and the Rams are ready to part ways with Bradford, IDZIK should do almost anything to get the jets their next Chad Pennington. Bradford would be awesome in Martys system. Quick release and accurate.

SB Nation just updated their MOCK, and they have the first 3 picks as Follows:

Cleveland (via trade with Houston)  Johnny Manziel

St. Louis Rams:  Blake Bortles

Jacksonville : Teddy Bridgewater

Notes. Cleveland trades #4 and #29 to move to the #1 slot to get Manziel. St. Louis is projected to give up on BRADFORD, cutting him or seeking a trade, and taking Bortles.

If this holds any truth, and the Rams are ready to part ways with Bradford, IDZIK should do almost anything to get the jets their next Chad Pennington. Bradford would be awesome in Martys system. Quick release and accurate.

I like the idea of Bradford as a Jet, but coming off a torn ACL really worries me... more so than starting Geno Smith

Archived