Does anyone really think Geno won't be our starting QB next year?

TuscanyTile2

I'm not saying whether or not you think he deserves to be replaced.  I'm just wondering if you think there's a serious chance you think Idzik will bench him (or trade him).  Personally I don't see it happening unless some QB that Idzik really likes unexpectedly falls in the draft.  But other than that, I don't see Idzik making a major trade up or signing a FA to seriously compete for the starting job.  They may talk a big game but in the end my gut is that they're going to hand the job to Geno and see if he can build upon those last few games where he looked better.

I actually expect a solid, middle of the tier season from Geno (something like 15-20th QB rating). However, even if I loathed him, as some do, I would still say he's the odds on favorite to start. With Sanchez assuredly gone and no rookie coming in and taking the reigns that quickly, I just don't see how he isn't the starter.  I leave open the possibility that some rookie we draft could overtake him throughout the course of the season, I just don't think anyone should expect anybody other than Geno starting week 1. 

Just can't see Idzik or Ryan bringing in any FA QB out there except for someone very, very cheap.  And those pickings are mighty thin as far as talent. 

Unless someone comes in via the draft or Geno goes insane in a mall parking lot...he's our guy.

I think Geno will start.  But just for the sake of a wandering mind, I thought.. what if the Jets cut Sanchez and then after he tests the waters, sign him as cheap as they can.  Would the Jets do that?  

I know he's done in New York, especially with the fans, but is that possible?

I think Geno will start.  But just for the sake of a wandering mind, I thought.. what if the Jets cut Sanchez and then after he tests the waters, sign him as cheap as they can.  Would the Jets do that?  

I know he's done in New York, especially with the fans, but is that possible?

Certainly the only way we should ever consider bringing Sanchez back is after a cut-and-re-sign-for-lower type move.  I might not hate that idea.  Then again, I'm probably just being suckered in by those teams who said he'd be their immediate starter.  And heck, I'm not against giving Tebow another shot (even though I don't think it would ever happen).  He now has a normal QB throwing motion and we all know about his legendary motivation.  But I'm sure I'm in a minority of 1 on Tebow.

He will probably be the starting QB next season. The only exceptions:

-If he's not healthy (obviously)

-If someone clearly beats him out in camp (not likely)

C: He starts the 4th quarter of the preseason game against the Giants.  Oh wait, that's the same as A.

I actually expect a solid, middle of the tier season from Geno (something like 15-20th QB rating). However, even if I loathed him, as some do, I would still say he's the odds on favorite to start. With Sanchez assuredly gone and no rookie coming in and taking the reigns that quickly, I just don't see how he isn't the starter.  I leave open the possibility that some rookie we draft could overtake him throughout the course of the season, I just don't think anyone should expect anybody other than Geno starting week 1. 

We talking about the same Geno Smith. The one who butt fumbled and lost to Sanchize in the qb competition?

Jets are stuck with this scrub just like they were stuck with Sanchez for the last 5 years.  Euguene  is the second coming of Sanchez, if not worse.  Another 3-4 years of good to great defense gone to waste with a lousy qb.  When are these idiots ever going to learn. The last decent qb we had was Testerverde.  Idzik needs to get bold and get a damn QB.  I am sure he will start because Idzik drafted this scrub in round 2 and he will give him every chance to show what a genius he was for drafting him. Its a win win for Idzik.  If Eugene fails, as he will, he can spin it like we gave it the ole college try.  If he experiences moderate success like Sanchez and gets the Jets in the playoffs, there will be the "lets give him time to mature" spin.  And if he succeeds....nevermind...he wont.  Alas, the Jets will never go anywhere with Eugene. In fact, I predict he will never even get into the playoffs while he is the starter or in a Jet uniform.   I root for my team.... but I don't for this pompous scrub.  He is gutless, selfish and totally arrogant.  Anyways, I'm guessing he will get smashed in the next year or two since he cant read defenses or maneuver in the pocket to save his life and will go on the run and get clocked.  He is not the most nimble athlete so he is highly susceptible to getting injured on his little mongoose runs.  RG III he is not and look what happened to him.           

I love the guys getting worked up over Idzik not having a QB, yet. It is hard to find a good QB. The guy has been here one year and already made a bold move by drafting the most talented QB in the last draft. Let's have faith in Idzik. He is watching the same games that we are. He knows the status of the QB position right now.

What do you his think options are?

Player wise? The FA market is littered with average to below average QBs, take your pick from the cirque du sol-meh. My guess is he'll sign one and then draft another somewhere within the first 3 rounds. Odds of one of those two beating out Geno are probably favorable.

What if Idzik brings in Tarvaris Jackson and Jackson beats out Geno? 

Then we find out fast that the kid can't play and try something else.

This. We conclude what was already pretty evident.

Player wise? The FA market is littered with average to below average QBs, take your pick from the cirque du sol-meh. My guess is he'll sign one and then draft another somewhere within the first 3 rounds. Odds of one of those two beating out Geno are probably favorable.

Okay. I guess we're looking at the same talent pool, I just don't see the favorable odds. I'm not convinced yet that they'll be drafting a QB in the first three rounds, either. If they don't, I think the front office would prefer they keep Geno in the starting lineup. If they do take a QB that early, though, that dynamic would change.

Okay. I guess we're looking at the same talent pool, I just don't see the favorable odds. I'm not convinced yet that they'll be drafting a QB in the first three rounds, either. If they don't, I think the front office would prefer they keep Geno in the starting lineup. If they do take a QB that early, though, that dynamic would change.

I think the front office would prefer to keep Geno in the lineup so long as he stops playing like Sanchez. Anything speculative is based on both the conventional and advanced numbers that say Geno was very bad; and the assumption that an average to below average QB with experience can win the job is based on the unlikelihood that Geno can make a large enough jump in year 2. The problem is that the jump would have to be incredibly high simply because of how poorly he performed last season. Possible? Sure. Likely? Probably not. Vick, Schaub, even Clemens or McCown or Henne, none are all that great (and **** Vick), but the problem is that they don't need to be all that great unless Geno makes a huge leap in year two.

He will probably be the starting QB next season. The only exceptions:

-If he's not healthy (obviously)

-If someone clearly beats him out in camp (not likely)

He was bad most of last season and he really lost to Sanchez & Simms.    Who is to say it won't happen again.  It's not like he really looked that great the last few weeks of the season.  He just looked better than the 3 INT every game guy.    I think he will be the starter because nobody is going to start Simms and Sanchez will be gone.   Unless they sign a guy like Schaub on the cheap who has a comeback like year,  I really don't see anybody else that's all that better.  

There won't be a fair competition.  They are going to try and push Geno all the way unless they wind up with some guy in the First round this year or a guy like Schaub.   Anybody else and it'll be one of those Geno gets every chance to start again situations.

If the Jets pick up another QB in the level of Schaub, Cassell, Vick, even if they work out a deal with Sanchez, or draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round, Smith will not be the starting QB next year

I don't think any of those vets are even close to being a lock to beat Geno out in camp. It's not that I like Geno -I don't- it's just that those guys all kinda suck, too. Geno would still be the young incumbent, drafted by the current GM. In a close battle, I'd think continuity and Geno's higher ceiling than any of those guys would give him a major edge in any competition.

Now if the GM takes another QB in the first two days of the draft this year, all bets are off.

Archived