Are Jets looking to trade Ellis?

eboozer

When healthy, he's a valuable player. I understand some others like Mo & Harrison need to get paid, but hate losing the guy. If a trade could be made to move up in the Draft for Evans, I'd be all for it.

http://turnonthejets.com/2014/02/new-york-jets-free-agency-primer-defensive-line/#more-20516

With approximately $30-40 million in cap space, the New York Jets are pegged to be players when the new league year begins on March 3rd, 2014. Today, we look at free agent defensive linemen. Check out our look at Offensive Linemen from last week here. The strength of the New York Jets this past season was the defensive line. Led by the second best defensive lineman in football Muhammed Wilkerson, defensive rookie of the year Sheldon Richardson, and undrafted free agent Damon Harrison, the Jets boast what is arguably the best defensive line in football. Add in DE/OLB Quinton Coples, Kenrick Ellis, and Leger Douzable and you can see what a great job Rex Ryan and Defensive Line Coach Karl Dunbar have doneIt is very possible that the Jets defensive line remains the same entering 2014, with the only notable addition being the return of Antwan Barnes. However, with Harrison due to become a Restricted Free Agent in 2015, Douzable a free agent this year,and the Jets possibly looking to trade Kenrick Ellis this offseason,it is possible that the Jets try to add depth. Here are five players the Jets could target this offseason. 1.

Arthur Jones, DE/DT, Ravens

2013 Stats: 53 tackles, 4 sacks Analysis: At 6’3″ and 301 pounds and with the versatility to play both DE and DT positions, the 27 year old Jones should have a long line of suitors. The former 5th round pick has put together back to back seasons with at least 4 sacks, and one of those seasons was spent as a backup to Haloti Ngata. Jones is great off the snap and keeps a good anchor against double teams. Jones is big and strong enough to play the NT in a 3-4 scheme. Likelihood: Jones joined the Ravens after Rex Ryan left, so there’s no familiarity there. Yet, Jones would be a great addition to the Jets as competition for Damon Harrison and possible insurance should he leave in 2015. A three year, $6M deal (Jones made $2M this past season) might get it done, so i’ll put this as a 3. 2.

DT Terrence Cody, Ravens

2013 Stats: 2 Games Started, 7 tackles Analysis: The former Crimson Tide DT has battled injuries as a member of the Ravens. When healthy, Cody was utilized by Defensive Coordinator Dean Pees with Jones and Terrell Suggs as the three down linemen. Cody is a monster at 6’4 and 370 pounds and plays a more traditional nose tackle position. He is an exceptional run stuffer but does struggle getting to the QB. Likelihood: We’ve discussed the idea of trading Kenrick Ellis at TOJ and, should the Jets decide to move Ellis, Cody would be an ideal replacement. He’s only 25 and Coach Dunbar could develop his pass rushing skills while improving the run defense of the Jets. If Ellis is dealt, i’d put this as a 9. If not, then i’d leave this as a 3. 3.

DT BJ Raji, Packers

2013 Stats: 13 Tackles Analysis: The former first round pick had 10.5 sacks in his third year but has really dropped off the past two seasons. Raji moved from NT to DE last season and played a hybrid, situational role. Dom Capers used him all over the defensive line with minimal results. Raji is 27 and, like Arthur Jones above, is versatile enough to play all three positions across the defensive line. Raji played better as a NT and would be an excellent addition to the team as competition for Damon Harrison. Likelihood: A 5 for now, but this would increase if Raji was willing to be more of a situational player. 4.

DE Brett Keisel, Steelers

2013 Stats: 20 tackles, 4 sacks, 2 fumble recoveries Analysis: Keisel is set to become a free agent after 11 years in Pittsburgh. Keisel played well in twelve games and as a mentor to a young Steelers defense. Keisel was an adequate run stuffer and showed much more energy when rushing the passer than in years past. Likelihood: An 8 for the likelihood of the Jets signing Keisel to replace Legar Douzable, should he leave as a free agent. Keisel would be a great mentor to the Jets young defensive line, would add some attitude, and he can still play. Used as a rotational player, similar to Douzable last season, Keisel would be a good signing by Idzik. 5.

NT Jay Ratliff, Bears

2013 Stats: 7 tackles, 1.5 sacks Analysis: Ratliff struggled through his lone season in Chicago, as he wasn’t healthy and only had 1.5 sacks. His best game of the season came against the Cowboys, as he showed that he had a little bit left in the tank when motivated. Likelihood: A 7, due to his familiarity with the Ryan defense (he played under Rob), as well as his versatility. Ratliff would come cheap and would be good depth behind the Sons of Anarchy

Ellis has not made the gains I thought he would in the pros, though alot of this is just not being on the field healthy. Obviously as a 6'4" 335 pound athlete he'll keep getting shots in this league so I hope they can get something of worth. Maybe they can use him in a package deal for a player? Not enough trades happen in the NFL for me to speculate on anything...By himself he's probably worth what...a 5-7th round pick? 

Ellis has not made the gains I thought he would in the pros, though alot of this is just not being on the field healthy. Obviously as a 6'4" 335 pound athlete he'll keep getting shots in this league so I hope they can get something of worth. Maybe they can use him in a package deal for a player? Not enough trades happen in the NFL for me to speculate on anything...By himself he's probably worth what...a 5-7th round pick? 

Nothing less then a 4th or I wouldn't even consider it,  Guys a decent player who can spell Snacks, and fill in if he gets hurt

Ellis, on a per snap basis was one of, if not the best dlineman in all of football last year. There's no way the Jets trade him unless it's for an instant upgrade a major position of need. 

Edit: That's based on PFF's rankings, not my own homeristic eye-test.  Ellis fought through that back injury early and became a dominant player when he was on the field. Still on his rookie deal, that's not someone you let go. When healthy, he's got the athleticism and stamina to stay on the field longer than Snacks, which is a must in today's NFL.  I just see zero way they let Ellis go, he's primed to make a leap this year.

Nothing less then a 4th or I wouldn't even consider it,  Guys a decent player who can spell Snacks, and fill in if he gets hurt

Def, maybe even a 3rd. 

Ellis, on a per snap basis was one of, if not the best dlineman in all of football last year. There's no way the Jets trade him unless it's for an instant upgrade a major position of need. 

Edit: That's based on PFF's rankings, not my own homeristic eye-test.  Ellis fought through that back injury early and became a dominant player when he was on the field. Still on his rookie deal, that's not someone you let go. When healthy, he's got the athleticism and stamina to stay on the field longer than Snacks, which is a must in today's NFL.  I just see zero way they let Ellis go, he's primed to make a leap this year.

The PFF numbers...how many snaps is the cutoff on the grading? I'm  just asking because Ellis has 16 tackles last year.  16...

That's three less than Leger Douzable

And that's 50 less than of Damon Harrison

So I mean, how valuable is Ellis, really?

Minimum fourth as flgreen said

Def, maybe even a 3rd. 

The PFF numbers...how many snaps is the cutoff on the grading? I'm  just asking because Ellis has 16 tackles last year.  16...

That's three less than Leger Douzable

And that's 50 less than of Damon Harrison

So I mean, how valuable is Ellis, really?

Minimum fourth as flgreen said

He was only on the field for 200 snaps, so it's obviously a small sample size, but he's shown that he can be quite dominant when he's healthy.  He's young, cheap and talented, that's not something ya give up too easily.  Plus, he's part of the best unit on our field, I'm not sure I want to be messing with that to save a couple hundred thousand dollars.

Ellis is good. The problem is that his skillset is this weird no-man's land in between Harrison and Richardson. He'd be a much better fit elsewhere, but at the same time if we're riding the d-line until the wheels fall off, it makes sense to keep him unless we can exchange him for a higher pick or CB1.

Ellis is good. The problem is that his skillset is this weird no-man's land in between Harrison and Richardson. He'd be a much better fit elsewhere, but at the same time if we're riding the d-line until the wheels fall off, it makes sense to keep him unless we can exchange him for a higher pick or CB1.

All true.  Ellis and Harrison are pretty much rotational players and while they are very good at what they do, they're still not on the field enough to warrant a high salary, so I don't see any urgency to get rid of them, unless as you said, we're offered something of value in exchange.  

Having our dline be as good against the run as they were, I expect a revamped secondary to capitalize on those 3rd and longs with some more turnovers this season. Another reason that I wouldn't be too upset with the Clinton-Dix pick.

He was only on the field for 200 snaps, so it's obviously a small sample size, but he's shown that he can be quite dominant when he's healthy.  He's young, cheap and talented, that's not something ya give up too easily.  Plus, he's part of the best unit on our field, I'm not sure I want to be messing with that to save a couple hundred thousand dollars.

yeah this. he's not costing us a ton of money. lets not create needs where we dont have any

The logic of this article is odd... they are suggesting the Jets need to find a replacement for Snacks, and that they'll trade Ellis, who is conceivably a replacement at best and a good rotation player until we actually need a replacement for Snacks, and he's playing on a 3rd rounder salary (if  my memory serves re: draft round).

Also, why not just extend Snacks?

IIRC, that was "against the run" only.  I think he was the top DL against the run by their stats. 

The only evidence that we're even considering trading Ellis is this, which is, shall we say, less than credible.

Well... it's not bleacher report, but it is from October!

I honestly couldn't give a rat's ass if they traded Ellis.  I don't get the love for him in this thread.  He's a JAG.  Easily replaced by a Middle-road FA or 5th-6th rounder.  And I mean that.  Now, Having said that, the guy has the most enormous legs and butt I've ever seen.  IMO, and I know I'll take some shots for this, he should be made into a project guard ala Brandon Moore.  He could be a monster on the OL if he has the smarts for it.

I'm torn on it, and ultimately it would depend on what the pick is.  If it's a 6th or later I don't see the point.  We're flush with 6th & 7th round picks this season and one more isn't going to help much.  Truth is, with what looks to be a dozen draft picks (our original 7, plus the pick for Revis, plus 4 compensatory picks) we're already looking at plenty of draftees that won't make the team.  If we move Ellis, unless someone's forking over a 4th (which is unlikely) there's only way I trade him before the season: if we draft or pick up someone else who Rex feels would be as good or better. In that case, dump him for a pick in 2015.  

These huge linemen get hurt often and he steps right in if we have issues in that regard.  He also rotates in & out seamlessly even if everyone is healthy, just to give one of these 300-lb monsters a breather.

Archived