With this type of athleticism, Manziel goes in top 10

eboozer

Didn't Geno outperform Manziel on most of the athletic testing at the combine last year? Athleticism for a QB is a luxury, my concerns with Manziel have nothing to do with him dunking a basketball...

I believe Geno outperformed him in everything except that Manziel had him in the 3cone and shuttle, showing a bit more agility. However, Geno is a good three inches taller and about 20 lbs heavier.  As you said though, it's more of a luxury than a prerequisite.  Not for nothing, but Geno actually put up some very good numbers at the combine.

Speaking of athletic QBs, I wouldn't be upset if they took a 7th round flyer on Logan Thomas.  If there ever was an athlete you'd want to sit for a couple of years, he's the guy.  

I believe Geno outperformed him in everything except that Manziel had him in the 3cone and shuttle, showing a bit more agility. However, Geno is a good three inches taller and about 20 lbs heavier.  As you said though, it's more of a luxury than a prerequisite.  Not for nothing, but Geno actually put up some very good numbers at the combine.

Speaking of athletic QBs, I wouldn't be upset if they took a 7th round flyer on Logan Thomas.  If there ever was an athlete you'd want to sit for a couple of years, he's the guy.  

Logan Thomas definitely looks the part of an NFL QB, however I have serious doubts about him. I know that you are suggesting drafting him as a developmental guy who wouldn't play for a long time, but his tape is just so bad. If we are going to take a QB in the mid-rounds the guy I like is Zach Mettenberger. I know that Idzik travelled down to LSU to see him before he hurt his knee, so some level of interest is probably there. Mettenberger is not an athletic-style QB, even more so after his ACL injury, but he has size, arm strength, and the ball placement that I really look for in a QB prospect. 

Give away a pick and Simms for a long, long term project? They're not carrying 4 QBs and not cutting Simms

Manziel's pro day is tomorrow btw. Should be a big news story either way.  

But for anyone who thought he might be there at 18, that's not gonna happen. He's going top 5 most likely. 

I will go on record saying I will be absolutely stunned if he goes in the top five. 

I will go on record saying I will be absolutely stunned if he goes in the top five. 

I will be absolutely stunned if he didn't. Besides the fact that the latest Super Bowl champion QB is about the same height, this player led an outgunned team to beat undefeated Alabama. He's also a huge star and will completely re-vitalize a team like Cleveland, Oakland or Jacksonville. He should go Houston but they are probably too chicken to pull that trigger. 

I will be absolutely stunned if he didn't. Besides the fact that the latest Super Bowl champion QB is about the same height, this player led an outgunned team to beat undefeated Alabama. He's also a huge star and will completely re-vitalize a team like Cleveland, Oakland or Jacksonville. He should go Houston but they are probably too chicken to pull that trigger. 

I dont see Caldwell bringing in Manziel. He's a very conservative GM...Manziel has too many red flags.

What are Johnny's red flags? Did he steal a laptop or something (Cam Newton)

dan marino was a cokehead and randy moss was charged with a felony and failed drug tests and skipped the combine because, it was rumored, he didn't want to pee in a cup

What are Johnny's red flags? Did he steal a laptop or something (Cam Newton)

The diva label is (at least somewhat justifiably) sticking to him for now.  Some GMs may not be scared off by it but others might prefer to let someone else inherit that potential problem.  It comes down to the judgment of the specific GMs picking in those top slots as much or more than it does to talent vs. needs.  I also think if Manziel were 6'3" none of the diva stuff would matter but the combination of the two may be enough to slide him down quite a bit. 

Archived