Jets GM Idzik We recognize we have a need at CB

joewilly12

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/03/jets_gm_john_idzik_we_recognize_we_have_a_need_at_cornerback.html#incart_more_sports

In a wide-ranging interview on ESPN radio 98.7 on Wednesday, Jets general manager John Idzik acknowledged the team still has a hole to fill at cornerback now that all of the high-profile free-agent options are off the market.

"We recognize we have a need at corner," Idzik said. "But there's plenty of road ahead of us before we get to camp."

Idzik's admission was in stark contrast to the team's public stance thus far. Even head coach Rex Ryan has said he feels "really good" about the Jets' current corners, a posture no one beyond the secure confines of One Jets Drive quite buys.

The Jets still have $28.7 million in cap space, per NFLPA records. Idzik's offseason to date has involved way more than thumb-twiddling and safeguarding owner Woody Johnson's bank account, however: The Jets did sign quarterback Michael Vick and wideout Eric Decker—arguably the top free agents available at their respective positions—and Idzik also replaced right tackle Austin Howard by scooping up Breno Giacomini. Yet that still hasn't stopped perceptions of incompetence (or worse) from forming, never mind that it's not even baseball season.

Idzik and Ryan have talked a lot about the team having a long-term plan, but they've also been short on specifics about that plan. Then again, such reticence has been the norm since Idzik took over a little more than a year ago, and that's the way it goes.

But the normally reserved GM has now made himself available for questions three times in the past week. And his interview with 98.7's Michael Kay and Don Lagreca was his most in-depth yet. We covered what he had to say about Mark Sanchez here. What follows is a quick summary of the rest of Idzik's conversation with Kay and Lagreca:

• On cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, who visited the Jets but signed with the Giants: "To complete a deal it has to feel right for us and it has to feel right for the player. ... You don't want to do something that doesn't fit a year or two from now."

(Idzik then avoided answering a question about Darrelle Revis and the Jets' alleged lack of interest in bringing him back, especially after Revis agreed to what is essentially a one-year deal with the rival Patriots.)

• On building for the long term while also doing what's necessary to win right away: "We want to win this year. But we also want to win going into 2015 and beyond."

• On Michael Vick's past, which includes a prison term for a dog-fighting conviction: "We vetted that out internally. We took quite a bit of time to discuss that."

• On whether Rex Ryan needs to make the playoffs this year to keep his job: Idzik refused to put "absolute benchmarks" on Ryan's job status. "We're just going to take this season and look at this season."

• On reported anger within the organization because Idzik's negotiating style is allegedly too rigid: "We don't really let that affect us in any way. ... Any insinuation to the contrary I just think is inaccurate."

• On whether the Jets can be a playoff team: "We're not in the business of predictions. ... We're confident in our ability to build this thing."

They've made it clear a few times now that they will build through the draft. We have 12 picks, I'm sure they are going to address every need

agrre, and dont rule out trades either, ,he learned from GM schneider in seattle and they traded picks for marshawn lynch and Harvin

They've made it clear a few times now that they will build through the draft. We have 12 picks, I'm sure they are going to address every need

I know this is a deep draft, but can we please stop acting like 4th-7th round picks are anything other than huge gambles?

agrre, and dont rule out trades either, ,he learned from GM schneider in seattle and they traded picks for marshawn lynch and Harvin

Yes, but  you make those kind of trades in the year you really feel like you are ready to make a move.  They might surprise, but I think they have next year in mind

They got 5 starters from last year's draft say they find 4 starters through this year's draft (because 5 is probably a lot). You're talking about a lot of progress in transforming your team in two years. Yes just because you draft them and start does not mean that they are all-pro, but the best way to grow into your position is experience. If we can continue to churn out 3-4 starters every year through the draft you'll see real growth and depth with the team. Unlike tannebaum philosophy of drafting 4 guys and praying they all work out and signing high priced free agents who are not as motivated to play because they got paid

I know this is a deep draft, but can we please stop acting like 4th-7th round picks are anything other than huge gambles?

Good players do slide, that seahawks defense that just won a championship was mostly built from the draft and a lot of those picks were late in the draft, OH and Idzik helped make that defense when he was with seattle

Good players do slide, that seahawks defense that just won a championship was mostly built from the draft and a lot of those picks were late in the draft, OH and Idzik helped make that defense when he was with seattle

John Idzik begins his sixth season with the Seahawks after joining the club on February 16, 2007. With Seattle, Idzik oversees player negotiations, the team’s compliance with the NFL salary cap, player personnel transactions, all football operations budgets, staff and team contracts, team travel and most aspects of the day-to-day football operations while also remaining active in player evaluations. In addition, he serves as the club’s primary liaison to the NFL Office and represents the club at League meetings.

Do we always have to draft a corner at 1, hopefully we grab a couple of corners

4-6 and hope they can play. And by the way, our secondary was awesome the last few

games of the season, we shut down Miami for 3 quarters and shut them out the second

half with them playing for the post season.

...and Leon Washington and Lendale White and Alvin Pearman and Charlie Frye...

pretty sure you mean whitehurst, not frye.    Frye was on somebody else's watch - holmgren i think.  

I always thought that based on the Seattle model the Jets would have been players for Cousins or Gabbert.   

idzik was practically calling the defense himself during the super bowl run

Did I miss something? I dont see where idzik admits we need a corner. My feeling on the corner thing is that our DL should allow our defense to blitz less and play more coverage.

In a wide-ranging interview on ESPN radio 98.7 on Wednesday, Jets general manager John Idzik acknowledged the team still has a hole to fill at cornerback now that all of the high-profile free-agent options are off the market.

"We recognize we have a need at corner," Idzik said.

Idzik has no relative idea on how to be a good general manager. It's still questionable on why the jets hired this guy to be the general manager when he has done mostly nothing significant. Idzik must of convinced the jets he knew what he was doing when he knew he didn't have what it takes to pick and sign good players for a team to succeed. This is a true case of the Jets being gullible and clueless and of course Same Old.

Then If Idzik knew what he was doing then where is the signing of a #1 WR & a cornerback he is supposed to replace Cromartie with? Their nowhere to be found. If George Costanza was a real person he would probably be a better general manager then John Idzik that would probably be the truth.

Archived