Klecko: Coples looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane (merged)

JOJOTOWNSELL

He has a point, but his language is pretty harsh.  At Coples age Joe was still at Temple.  This kid has two years in as a starter.  I think Coples is getting used to the system and setting the edge and that there are times that he looks like he is thinking.  As he learns the position he should be able to let loose more.  Sometimes it takes time for that happen, other times it never does.  At a minimum the kid is solid and shows flashes.  

You have a point regarding Coples transition, but I don't think that Klecko was harsh. The knock on Coples is that he seems to move in slow motion on the field. His knock in college was that his motor wasn't high on every play. Coples needs to involve himself in plays more often. Granted, he was hurt last year and Im not holding against him, I'm just saying that he needs to be more involved this upcoming season.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Former New York Jets defensive lineman Joe Klecko, a member of the famed New York Sack Exchange, sacked two of the team's current pass rushers -- Muhammad Wilkerson and Quinton Coples -- in an interview Friday with a local radio station. 

Klecko, a guest on WFAN, suggested Wilkerson and Coples don't give maximum effort on every play. 

"A little bit of the time, he looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane,” Klecko said of Coples. "Sometimes he gets out there and does things that are unbelievable. Well, you need to go out there and stick your nose in there every time and make sure everybody knows you're there. I think he has a lot to learn." 

Coples, picked 16th overall in 2012, came into the league amid question about his practice habits and work ethic. The 6-6, 290-pound defensive end-turned-linebacker has registered only 10 sacks in two seasons. He managed just 4.5 sacks last season, but he missed the first two games (surgery to repair a fractured ankle) and made the switch to a new position, outside linebacker. 

“I don’t know him at all, but understanding attitude and body language, he sometimes comes out there, I think, and thinks, ‘Don’t you know who I am? I’m here,'" Klecko said. "He has to start proving that he is something to be reckoned with 

“You have to have defensive players on the team that do that kind of play – go for the jugular vein, all out, all the time. And then everyone starts to listen you. If you have just a group of lukewarm guys, you’re going to have lukewarm players that will need to have to be picked up by their leaders." 

Wilkerson, who recorded a career-high 10 sacks last season, is generally regarded as the best defensive player on the team. Klecko spoke glowingly of the former first-round pick's talent, but questioned his motor. 

"I think there's a few too many plays he gives up on a little bit," Klecko said. "You know, he's big enough to hunt bear with a switch, there's no doubt. He's an unbelievable talent, but he has to put it out there every single play. Now, sure, everybody is going to say, 'Yeah, he does.' No, he doesn't, I'm telling you right now. He needs to put it out there every single play. Now, (Sheldon) Richardson does that." 

Richardson was named NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year. 

"I think Richardson plays with a chip on his shoulder every single play, which I like," Klecko said. "Kind of reminds me of me." 

Klecko, a member of the Jets' Ring of Honor, made four Pro Bowls in the 1980s. He's the only player in history to make a Pro Bowl at three different defensive-line positions.

Joe had as much natural talent as anyone so stop with the self hate guilty bullsh!t.

Klecko is getting compared to present-day players based on his size and/or speed compared to present-day players.  For his time and position - excuse me, positions - Klecko was both big and could certainly move.  If the team moved him to OLB instead of NT I'm sure he'd have been good at that also.

Also someone here is, and has always been, obsessed with draft slots as a basis for who has more ability.  Klecko would have been great at any position in no small part due to his ability.  You can't just put in hard work and go from all-pro DE to all-pro NT.  And someone who has evaluated talent for so many years ought to realize this obvious point.

But while I don't disagree 100% with Klecko's opinion - it's been mirrored at times by Rex as well - it's not as though Coples has been Gholston II out there.  Plus at 285-lbs (or whatever he played at) I don't expect an instant transition from stud college DT to stud NFL OLB.  

They can't all have Klecko's natural ability to change and play whatever position they want at all-world levels.  ;)

Klecko is getting compared to present-day players based on his size and/or speed compared to present-day players. For his time and position - excuse me, positions - Klecko was both big and could certainly move. If the team moved him to OLB instead of NT I'm sure he'd have been good at that also.

Also someone here is, and has always been, obsessed with draft slots as a basis for who has more ability. Klecko would have been great at any position in no small part due to his ability. You can't just put in hard work and go from all-pro DE to all-pro NT. And someone who has evaluated talent for so many years ought to realize this obvious point.

But while I don't disagree 100% with Klecko's opinion - it's been mirrored at times by Rex as well - it's not as though Coples has been Gholston II out there. Plus at 285-lbs (or whatever he played at) I don't expect an instant transition from stud college DT to stud NFL OLB.

They can't all have Klecko's natural ability to change and play whatever position they want at all-world levels. ;)

Depending on how the draft shakes out, Coples could be a prime trade candidate, IMO. He's not an OLB by any stretch, and he's being wasted if asked to do anything but rush the passer out of a three-point stance. Rex doesn't seem to love him, either. I think he's talented, but jerking him around position-wise is silly at this point. Can't be a major cap hit, either, right?

LOL.  Um, yes.

I have had the good fortune to hang around him a few times at some Jets events.  He still has so much passion and energy.  The guy just strikes me as a big time hard worker.

there's no question that Klecko is the man

the point im trying to make is in an alternate universe, let's say Klecko had the natural gifts of Gastineau. Would he still have the fire of Klecko? I don't think it's a slam dunk

part of what makes Klecko special was everyone telling him he was too small to do it. And his reaction to that judgment.

No one ever told Coples (or Mario Williams, or  John Abraham, or Clowney) that they were not physically good enough to play pro football. 

it's kinda like taking the brain of Wayne Chrebet and putting it in the body of Keyshawn Johnson... ideally that mash up would be the best WR of all time... but maybe a guy with less obstacles doesn't develop that elite fire.

I think that whole DL is going to play well. Kyle Van Noy in the 2nd or 3rd would be interesting with these guys.

Van Noy is exactly the type of player the Pats take a round before everyone expects him to go, (and the media says it's genius)

the point im trying to make is in an alternate universe, let's say Klecko had the natural gifts of Gastineau. Would he still have the fire of Klecko? I don't think it's a slam dunk

part of what makes Klecko special was everyone telling him he was too small to do it. And his reaction to that judgment.

No one ever told Coples (or Mario Williams, or  John Abraham, or Clowney) that they were not physically good enough to play pro football. 

it's kinda like taking the brain of Wayne Chrebet and putting it in the body of Keyshawn Johnson... ideally that mash up would be the best WR of all time... but maybe a guy with less obstacles doesn't develop that elite fire.

I guess we will have to wait for Madden 2022 when they allow for brain imports to find out.  :)

I'm having writers remorse for saying coples sucks. Hopefully he matures and becomes one of my favorite players. Hell do that by hiting that ceiling we keep talking about.

wasting Wilkerson and Richardson without more help would be a damn disgrace.

I've been hammering for weeks that, IMO, a pass rush from the edge is our greatest need. If we don't get it and/or coples can't contribute, our weaker secondary will pay the price.

I guess we will have to wait for Madden 2022 when they allow for brain imports to find out.   :)

lol i guess what im trying to say is it's all about perspective. Klecko knows what life is like to be a Klecko. He doesn't know what life is like to be a Coples. 

Comparing the two makes no sense. Kinda like comparing Earl Campbell to Barry Sanders.

The only thing Mark and Joe had in common was that the both played on the DL.

At the top of his game Mark was one of the best speed rushers ever. No more no less.

Klecko was freakishly strong. When he couldnt get around a blocker he could lift them and drive them into the QB.

Coples? Who knows if and when he will fulfill his promise. I think its way too early to give up on him.

Hard hitting critique lol

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/05/02/jets-legend-klecko-on-coples-he-looks-like-tarzan-plays-like-jane/

NEW YORK (WFAN) — Joe Klecko respects Quinton Coples, thinks he’s a very good player, but says there’s something missing from his game.

Klecko was a guest on WFAN with Joe Benigno and Evan Roberts on Friday and didn’t mince words about Coples the impact players versus Coples, the player who hasn’t yet lived up to his abilities.

“Well, he’s another one. A little bit of the time he looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane,” Klecko said.

The 16th overall pick in the 2012 draft out of North Carolina, Coples was drafted as a defensive lineman, but was eventually converted to outside linebacker by the Jets. He recorded 5.5 sacks as rookie, but ran in place a bit early last season before turning it on late, registering 3.5 sacks over the Jets’ final four games.

Klecko said the guy that helped the Jets to three wins last December on their way to a surprising 8-8 season needs to show up Week 1 this season and never take any plays off.

“Sometimes (Coples) gets out there and does things that are unbelievable. Well, you need to go out there and stick your nose in there every time and make sure everybody knows your there. I think he has a lot tolearnicon1.png,” Klecko said.

Klecko can talk because he knows what it takes to become a premier defensive lineman in the NFL. From 1977-87, he was a four-time Pro Bowler and two-time first team All Pro, shining at three different positions as a pass rusher and run stopper.

He said Coples, who is 6-foot-6 and 290 pounds, has the talent to be whatever he wants to be on the field, but doesn’t yet have that “it” quality that both Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson have.

“I don’t know him at all, but understanding attitude and body language, he sometimes comes out there I think and thinks ‘Don’t you know who I am? I’m here.’ He has to start proving that he is something to be reckoned with,” Klecko said.

“You have to have defensive players on the team that do that kind of play – go for the jugular vein, all out, all the time. And then everyone starts to listen you. If you have just a group of lukewarm guys, you’re going to have lukewarm players that will need to have to be picked up by their leaders,” he added.

Scouts, coaches as well as Kiper/McShay all had doubts about Coples 'motor' coming out of college, yet TannyRex STILL took him with a first round pick. Rex's is ALWAYS looking for that 'edge rusher' but I think he projects things onto a kid that he really can't do. Such as play hard on every down. I don't see Wilkerson as having that problem however. Both of them may soon be overshadowed by Richardson anyway and maybe they'll pick up the slack. All I know is if Klecko said I'm listening.

I'm having writers remorse for saying coples sucks. Hopefully he matures and becomes one of my favorite players. Hell do that by hiting that ceiling we keep talking about.

wasting Wilkerson and Richardson without more help would be a damn disgrace.

I've been hammering for weeks that, IMO, a pass rush from the edge is our greatest need. If we don't get it and/or coples can't contribute, our weaker secondary will pay the price.

OK Rex, you can log off now. DB is the MOST pressing need for the Jets and even YOU know it. Jets have little or no chance of getting an edge rusher at 18 with Clowney, and Khalil Mack being the best of the lot.

Depending on how the draft shakes out, Coples could be a prime trade candidate, IMO. He's not an OLB by any stretch, and he's being wasted if asked to do anything but rush the passer out of a three-point stance. Rex doesn't seem to love him, either. I think he's talented, but jerking him around position-wise is silly at this point. Can't be a major cap hit, either, right?

It's hard to say which of two things happened with Coples. Either we realized he failed at the transition from tackle to end in college and planned on keeping him inside until Richardson came along, in which case that's fine but it's time to move on, or the plan was always to keep trying him on the outside, which was always stupid and three years in is still not close to producing a result. Either way it's probably best to cut the cord provided Richardson's pass rush progresses as expected.

It's hard to say which of two things happened with Coples. Either we realized he failed at the transition from tackle to end in college and planned on keeping him inside until Richardson came along, in which case that's fine but it's time to move on, or the plan was always to keep trying him on the outside, which was always stupid and three years in is still not close to producing a result. Either way it's probably best to cut the cord provided Richardson's pass rush progresses as expected.

There is zero reason to cut the cord.

ESPN New York reports Jets OLB Quinton Coples has been "testing the patience of the coaches from the day he arrived."

This comes on the heels of a quote from former Jets great and analyst Joe Kelcko, who said Coples "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane." Per beat writer Rich Cimini, the frustration level with Coples inside the organization is high. Coples, the 16th pick in the 2012 draft, made the switch to outside linebacker from end last season. He has just ten sacks through two years but plays stout run defense.

Quinton Coples - LB - Jets

ESPN New York reports Jets OLB Quinton Coples has been "testing the patience of the coaches from the day he arrived."

This comes on the heels of a quote from former Jets great and analyst Joe Kelcko, who said Coples "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane." Per beat writer Rich Cimini, the frustration level with Coples inside the organization is high. Coples, the 16th pick in the 2012 draft, made the switch to outside linebacker from end last season. He has just ten sacks through two years but plays stout run defense.

If Cimini said it, it must be true.

Quinton Coples - LB - Jets

Welp.

coples has brands.  that shows he's plenty tough and crazy

he is a victim of the flash he shows sometimes, we want it all the time.

I think he is progressing well enough to keep his job

I'd imagine they're afraid he'll go to St Louis, line up next to Quinn, and end up with 12 sacks.

Archived