Draft Day Trade?

Cmartin

We’ve heard some buzz that the New York Jets may be looking to make a trade on draft day, to fill a big area of need. Cornerback is not as deep, this year, as another position of need—wide receiver—so perhaps finding an immediate contributor is the better route for 2014 success.

According to one source, the Jets may be looking to swing a deal with the Dallas Cowboys for CB Morris Claiborne.

Claiborne (LSU) was drafted by the Cowboys in 2012, just two seasons ago, after they traded up to the sixth overall pick, from 14th, to grab their man. They gave away their first and second round selections in an exchange with the Rams, who originally held the pick.

Claiborne joined the team with outsider expectations very high—expecting immediate impact. He finished his rookie year with 55 tackles and one interception, though he played inconsistently. In 2013, the cornerback dislocated his shoulder in the Cowboys’ season opener and his play was subsequently affected (26 tackles, 1 INT). He has since undergone shoulder surgery and has rehabbed well.

Last season, Idzik pulled the trigger on a trade for running back Chris Ivory, who, in spite of injuries, looks like a good value move for the fourth round selection that was exchanged with the Saints.

We’ve heard some buzz that the New York Jets may be looking to make a trade on draft day, to fill a big area of need. Cornerback is not as deep, this year, as another position of need—wide receiver—so perhaps finding an immediate contributor is the better route for 2014 success.

According to one source, the Jets may be looking to swing a deal with the Dallas Cowboys for CB Morris Claiborne.

Claiborne (LSU) was drafted by the Cowboys in 2012, just two seasons ago, after they traded up to the sixth overall pick, from 14th, to grab their man. They gave away their first and second round selections in an exchange with the Rams, who originally held the pick.

Claiborne joined the team with outsider expectations very high—expecting immediate impact. He finished his rookie year with 55 tackles and one interception, though he played inconsistently. In 2013, the cornerback dislocated his shoulder in the Cowboys’ season opener and his play was subsequently affected (26 tackles, 1 INT). He has since undergone shoulder surgery and has rehabbed well.

Last season, Idzik pulled the trigger on a trade for running back Chris Ivory, who, in spite of injuries, looks like a good value move for the fourth round selection that was exchanged with the Saints.

My sources have discussed a possible package for Clowney.

Where are you getting this from? This is the first I've heard about Claiborne

The Claiborne thing was something Cimini threw out there a coupe weeks ago.

I remember the year Leinart came out and I was taking a road trip and all the sports radio shows were saying that the Jets were "feverishly trying to trade up" and "desperate to land Leinart", who they of course passed on when he was sitting there on draft day.  It's all BS.

Any chance of this scenario ? And we all know Idzik wants his whole team to come via draft. I know the Jets are linked to some trades early. But I'm thinking how about pick at #18 and somehow get back into the 1st rd in the 20s and pick again. Any chance of an Odell Beckham and Dennard first rd for our team. Hit two areas of need big time on Day 1. I don't know the what it would cost via chart. Obviously our 2nd rounder this year and maybe one of our 4ths this year. I don't know.

Idzik does have a track record now. Last year he drafted the #1 ranked QB DT and CB in the first two rounds. In FA he arguably signed the best QB WR and RB. Any chance he sticks to his montra and gets the best player at a position of need in the draft again ? But that would be Watkins which is borderline impossible without giving up everything.

I would be pretty ecstatic with a Beckham Dennard first rd.

Rest of the draft we focus on S OLB MLB TE.

That's two impact players immediately. And it costs way less to move back into the first rd then to move to the top of the draft.

I think that immediately improves our offense. Kick return and punt return with Beckham. It also takes heat off of Milliner. He isn't like the Revis replacement we all pinned him as. Instead it's a stable of young CBs all making each other better. Alla Seattle.

Any chance of this scenario ? And we all know Idzik wants his whole team to come via draft. I know the Jets are linked to some trades early. But I'm thinking how about pick at #18 and somehow get back into the 1st rd in the 20s and pick again. Any chance of an Odell Beckham and Dennard first rd for our team. Hit two areas of need big time on Day 1. I don't know the what it would cost via chart. Obviously our 2nd rounder this year and maybe one of our 4ths this year. I don't know.

Idzik does have a track record now. Last year he drafted the #1 ranked QB DT and CB in the first two rounds. In FA he arguably signed the best QB WR and RB. Any chance he sticks to his montra and gets the best player at a position of need in the draft again ? But that would be Watkins which is borderline impossible without giving up everything.

That's two impact players immediately. And it costs way less to move back into the first rd then to move to the top of the draft.

I think corner back surpassed the teams top need.

I think that immediately improves our offense. Kick return and punt return with Beckham. It also takes heat off of Milliner. He isn't like the Revis replacement we all pinned him as. Instead it's a stable of young CBs all making each other better. Alla Seattle.

I don't think that too many people pinned milliner as a revis replacement. that's too big a shoe to fill

Kind of immediately everyone basically had the thought process well Milliner is replacing Revis. Yes they did. Not saying he was as good yet but everyone thought that from the beginning. That's why a guy who is a rookie got pinned as a bust the second he gives up one play. It's everyone thinking he's got to be our next Revis.

If true I assume Rob told Rex he is a good player,,but that means Saints know that also, lol

My sources have discussed a possible package for Clowney.

Where are you getting this from? This is the first I've heard about Claiborne

A move for Clowney would put so much pressure on opposing QB's our corners would only Have to work in a very small window of time . Imagine Clowney and Barnes rushing the passer with the occasional Harris blitz up the middle (which he is very good at) and put Coples back on the freakin DL where he belongs and this defense becomes elite pretty damn quick that is if Clowney is as advertised which I think he is.

You have to post a link with this kind of stuff.  Who said this?

With his injury history, this isn't exactly the kind of guy I would hang my hat on as a lock-down corner.  He has covered a lot of body parts  in his first two seasons.  I just don;t see it as anything other than the usual baseless chatter.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1930560-morris-claiborne-could-be-a-bust-of-epic-proportions-in-dallas

Idzik does have a track record now. Last year he drafted the #1 ranked QB DT and CB in the first two rounds.

Dennard and Cooks/Beckham are all supposed to go right around where the Jets are picking in the first. Trading their second rounder up practically a full round would be expensive. At least their second and third, I'd think. Way too much.

Idzik's track record in the draft is that he sat tight and let the draft come to him. He waited until his selection in the second round to take a QB who was expected to be the first one off the board in the first. There weren't even rumors about him trading up. If anything, he used his time on the clock in an effort to move down.

A move for Clowney would put so much pressure on opposing QB's our corners would only Have to work in a very small window of time . Imagine Clowney and Barnes rushing the passer with the occasional Harris blitz up the middle (which he is very good at) and put Coples back on the freakin DL where he belongs and this defense becomes elite pretty damn quick that is if Clowney is as advertised which I think he is.

Probably what Miami was thinking last year with Dion Jordan.

This is a deep draft. This is the kind of draft where you try to trade down and add more picks in the first three rounds, not trade them away. At the very least, you simply stand pat. If Idzik trades up, I'm gonna lose a lot of confidence in him. The good thing is that I really don't think he's even considering such a move.

Dennard and Cooks/Beckham are all supposed to go right around where the Jets are picking in the first. Trading their second rounder up practically a full round would be expensive. At least their second and third, I'd think. Way too much.

Idzik's track record in the draft is that he sat tight and let the draft come to him. He waited until his selection in the second round to take a QB who was expected to be the first one off the board in the first. There weren't even rumors about him trading up. If anything, he used his time on the clock in an effort to move down.

Probably what Miami was thinking last year with Dion Jordan.

This is a deep draft. This is the kind of draft where you try to trade down and add more picks in the first three rounds, not trade them away. At the very least, you simply stand pat. If Idzik trades up, I'm gonna lose a lot of confidence in him. The good thing is that I really don't think he's even considering such a move.

I hear ya slats I was just commenting on if the Jets actually did make that move not whether I agree with it. Im all for getting more picks but we wont get much in pick compensation with the 18th pick in the draft and in need of WR's where you know one will be available at 18

I hear ya slats I was just commenting on if the Jets actually did make that move not whether I agree with it. Im all for getting more picks but we wont get much in pick compensation with the 18th pick in the draft and in need of WR's where you know one will be available at 18

I don't think the Jets will have much -if any- chance to trade down. Some team looking to leapfrog Miami for Zack Martin? Unlikely.

But trading up would be dumb.

Interesting possibility. Its something Tanny would do in a heartbeat, but I think Iggy will take his draft board and stick with it unless someone he absolutely LOVES starts to fall.

Was on a Cowboys forum yesterday and they were looking more at Coples for Morris Claiborne. Their reasoning being a "bust for bust" kind of trade, you guys think there is anyway this happens? I think Coples has been too productive for us to be an even trade for an under performing cornerback, maybe Morris AND a pick for Coples?

Was on a Cowboys forum yesterday and they were looking more at Coples for Morris Claiborne. Their reasoning being a "bust for bust" kind of trade, you guys think there is anyway this happens? I think Coples has been too productive for us to be an even trade for an under performing cornerback, maybe Morris AND a pick for Coples?

Coples a bust? Bust for bust isn't always an equal trade in the first place. Reggie Bush is considered a bust for being the 2nd overall pick that never lived up to his expectations. If he was drafted, say 22nd overall, he wouldn't be considered a bust. If Mark Sanchez was a 2nd round QB, no one would call him a bust.

Fact is, Claiborne has disappointed the Cowboys and never lived up anywhere close to his expectations regardless of the injury. Coples switched position and still showed plenty of flashes as to why he was picked up in round 1. Claiborne? Never flashed anything. Claiborne for Kenrick Ellis is more of an equal trade. Maybe ellis n a 6th round pick, but thats about it. Cowboys need DL n Ellis has potential, just like Claiborne. But if they want Coples, they better be ready to dole out their 3rd and Claiborne to say the least.

Sounds like something Jerry Jones would float in an attempt to create a market for another one of his busts.

Bingo.

We trade for Jonathan Joseph, because his contract makes him a prime trade option for Houston, or we trade for nobody.

Bingo.

We trade for Jonathan Joseph, because his contract makes him a prime trade option for Houston, or we trade for nobody.

Big number ($11 million) for decent corner coming off a bad season due to injuries (hammy and groin and 2 hernia surgeries).  Not to mention he was often injured when he played with the Bengals.  A trade would really bail Houston out -- if they cut him they save around $3.75 million but still have $7.5 million in dead money.  Even if the Jets do not give up much, this is a one sided deal for an overpaid injury plagued player that Idzik will never make.  

Big number ($11 million) for decent corner coming off a bad season due to injuries (hammy and groin and 2 hernia surgeries).  Not to mention he was often injured when he played with the Bengals.  A trade would really bail Houston out -- if they cut him they save around $3.75 million but still have $7.5 million in dead money.  Even if the Jets do not give up much, this is a one sided deal for an overpaid injury plagued player that Idzik will never make.  

I'll be honest, I didn't really view him as injury plagued, but I guess you could make that argument. The other assumption I'm making is that we acquire him and then re-neg the contract immediately to something more Jet friendly... all that being said, I'd still rather look to the draft.

Idzik comes from an organization that found good corners in mid-rounds, if I'm not mistaken, and this will be Idzik's first draft for the Jets with his own scouting department in place - last year's draft was conducted with the holdovers from the Tanny/Bradway years. I can't help but feel optimistic that Idzik's team will be able to find us some gems outside of the first round.

I'll be honest, I didn't really view him as injury plagued, but I guess you could make that argument. The other assumption I'm making is that we acquire him and then re-neg the contract immediately to something more Jet friendly... all that being said, I'd still rather look to the draft.

Idzik comes from an organization that found good corners in mid-rounds, if I'm not mistaken, and this will be Idzik's first draft for the Jets with his own scouting department in place - last year's draft was conducted with the holdovers from the Tanny/Bradway years. I can't help but feel optimistic that Idzik's team will be able to find us some gems outside of the first round.

I am with you on getting guys in the draft, brother.  I would not rule out the mini-draft for a placeholder. 

I am with you on getting guys in the draft, brother.  I would not rule out the mini-draft for a placeholder. 

True, the mini-draft should be great this year. Also, I've read that Idzik has extensive scout placement in used car sales lots nationwide... if there's another Andre Wadsworth out there, he'll find him. ;)

Archived