Bills Alonso probably out for year.

32EBoozer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000362967/article/buffalo-bills-concerned-kiko-alonso-suffered-torn-acl

And another story about it.

Alonso sustains 'significant' knee injury working out
BY NICK ST. DENIS

The Buffalo Bills got some bad news Tuesday night, and they passed it along to their fans in very blunt fashion.

It has to do with a certain second-year linebacker who never leaves the field and was slated to be an integral part of the team's defense in his new position on the outside.

"We have learned tonight that Kiko Alonso injured his knee while working out in Oregon," Bills general manager Doug Whaley said, via BuffaloBills.com. "We do not have the details at this point, but early indications are that it may be significant."

The fact that Whaley just came right out and said it is not a good sign at all. We'll presumably know more soon.

After missing exactly zero snaps his entire rookie season while flying around and constantly making plays from the inside position, the team decided to move him to the outside this year in new defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz's 4-3 scheme.

Alonso tallied 159 tackles, four interceptions, two sacks, a forced fumble and four passes defensed in 2013.

The only thing that I can think of when it comes to Alonso are the 9 or so idiots on the internet who kept arguing he should have won DROY over Richardson because he had more tackles.

So I know it sounds sh*tty but the fact that I won't have to hear from those guys anymore isn't so bad.

The only thing that I can think of when it comes to Alonso are the 9 or so idiots on the internet who kept arguing he should have won DROY over Richardson because he had more tackles.

So I know it sounds sh*tty but the fact that I won't have to hear from those guys anymore isn't so bad.

Sheldon playing DT in a 3-4 and generating 42 solo tackles with 2 guys draped on you is amazing. That he was a rookie, even more so. 78 total tackles. Add to that the dozens of disruptions he caused in the backfield and it's not even close. He certainly deserved that award. Should not have been as close as it was.

Good luck Kiko.

So I know it sounds shitty but the fact that I won't have to hear from those guys anymore isn't so bad.

Duh Richardson is a defensive tackle. He needs to lead the league in tackles. :)

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-news/2014/7/1/5862938/kiko-alonso-may-have-significant-knee-injury-per-bills

Kiko Alonso tears ACL, expected to miss entire 2014 season

It's looking like the first major injury of the 2014 Buffalo Bills season happened three weeks before the start of training camp, and it's a doozy: ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Kiko Alonso tore his ACL in a workout at Oregon, that his recovery prognosis is 7-9 months, and that he is therefore expected to miss the entirety of the 2014 season.

Adam Schefter        

Bills LB Kiko Alonso tore his ACL and is expected to miss season, per source. It’s considered a seven- to nine-month recovery. Blow for BUF.

Bills GM Doug Whaley released a statement on the injury about an hour before Schefter's report emerged, with far less conclusive language.

"We have learned tonight that Kiko Alonso injured his knee while working out in Oregon," Whaley said in a statement. "We do not have the details at this point, but early indications are that it may be significant."

Alonso, who played every defensive snap for the Bills in his rookie season, finished the 2013 season with 159 tackles, four interceptions, two sacks, a forced fumble and two fumble recoveries. His loss is a crippling blow for a Bills defense that now does not have a three-down linebacker on the roster.

Nigel Bradham might be the obvious choice to take Alonso's place on the weak side, though rookie third-round pick Preston Brown - who saw first-team work in spring practices, including in pass defense sub-packages - could make a serious run for a large role, as well. Brandon Spikes and Keith Rivers are expected to hold down the middle and strong-side jobs, respectively. None of these players are Alonso, however; as Alonso played 1,145 snaps last season, Spikes, Rivers, and Bradham combined to play 1,389 with their respective teams.

Alonso's absence could easily have an effect on the team's starting safety competition, as well. Da'Norris Searcy may very well end up winning that job, but his presence as a nickel and dime linebacker may now be essential, which at minimum creates a sub-package opening at the back end of the defense for players like Duke Williams andJonathan Meeks, among other candidates.

As for Alonso: man, this sucks. It's looking like his legend won't continue until 2015.

Dr.-Who.gif

Kiko really was something last year. Hope he comes back strong.

Cant help wondering though. Bills had the same exact player in Paul Poz, another tackle machine but they wouldnt pay him, did the same thing with Beast Mode Lynch, Jason Peters etc. so Kiko probably would be up there too long anyway.

Kiko really was something last year. Hope he comes back strong.

Cant help wondering though. Bills had the same exact player in Paul Poz, another tackle machine but they wouldnt pay him, did the same thing with Beast Mode Lynch, Jason Peters etc. so Kiko probably would be up there too long anyway.

While I see your point, in fairness to the Bills regarding Lynch, most thought he was a bust back when the Bills sent him off to Seattle.  He had lost his starting job to Fred Jackson the prior year and they had just drafted Spiller as well.  Nobody really though much of Lynch until that playoff game against the Saints.

Tough blow for the Bills, never wish this on a player but I do wish it on the 3 teams in our division. Bills were gonna suck anyway, coach and QB stink. Plus they loss the great Mike Petitne.

While I see your point, in fairness to the Bills regarding Lynch, most thought he was a bust back when the Bills sent him off to Seattle.  He had lost his starting job to Fred Jackson the prior year and they had just drafted Spiller as well.  Nobody really though much of Lynch until that playoff game against the Saints.

Most ridiculous of all is that one of the hallmarks of his game used to be his lack of breaking tackles.  Must be Pete Carroll that showed him how.

Back on topic, really sucks for Alonso.  Tears up his knee working out.  Damn.  In a hundred years I'll bet he wouldn't see that coming.  Unless maybe jgb was calculating those chances for him, hahaha.

Most ridiculous of all is that one of the hallmarks of his game used to be his lack of breaking tackles.  Must be Pete Carroll that showed him how.

Back on topic, really sucks for Alonso.  Tears up his knee working out.  Damn.  In a hundred years I'll bet he wouldn't see that coming.  Unless maybe jgb was calculating those chances for him, hahaha.

no, but the chances of your being drunk today appear to be hovering right around 100%

Sheldon playing DT in a 3-4 and generating 42 solo tackles with 2 guys draped on you is amazing. That he was a rookie, even more so. 78 total tackles. Add to that the dozens of disruptions he caused in the backfield and it's not even close. He certainly deserved that award. Should not have been as close as it was.

Good luck Kiko.

Don't forget about the TD's from the RB position. The most for a DT since the Fridge. That's somthin too :D

Archived