Tom Shane Predicts The Jets Season

T0mShane

Garcia would have been ideal at that point.

To be clear, I'm not solely blaming Ryan for Sanchez. Clearly, Woody had a DuPont-style inappropriate boner for Sanchez, Tannenbaum was an attention whore, and Ryan thinks he can coach up anyone (which is laughable at this point). Sanchez, immature pansy that he was at USC, couldn't have come to a worse situation. What I'm objecting to, with you and others, is the assertion that Rex was an innocent bystander in the Sanchez affair. Dude was as culpable as anyone.

At the time I was mocked here pretty hard for the suggestion.  I thought it was a perfect pickup.  He was still in playing shape (was starting for Tampa the prior season, and didn't do a terrible job). He was similar height and had a similar (theoretical) skill set to the way Sanchez was billed coming out of school.  

Disagree on the worst situation possible for Sanchez.  Pretty strongly at that.  He was going to be a failure no matter where he went because he's not talented from the neck up.  At least the Jets, with high (if not #1 overall) ranked defense, ground game, offensive line, and special teams, he was able to skate by without producing and still have people say he "led" the team to the AFCCG 2 years in a row.  Nowhere else could he have gotten an extension for the amount he got.

He's a failure, and yet in hindsight this was his dream job (up to the shoulder thing, anyway), and life-wise he's won more than just about anyone you've ever met.  Except maybe Matt Flynn.  Total American Dream winner for a guy who started with nothing.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the time I was mocked here pretty hard for the suggestion.  I thought it was a perfect pickup.  He was still in playing shape (was starting for Tampa the prior season, and didn't do a terrible job). He was similar height and had a similar (theoretical) skill set to the way Sanchez was billed coming out of school.  

Disagree on the worst situation possible for Sanchez.  Pretty strongly at that.  He was going to be a failure no matter where he went because he's not talented from the neck up.  At least the Jets, with high (if not #1 overall) ranked defense, ground game, offensive line, and special teams, he was able to skate by without producing and still have people say he "led" the team to the AFCCG 2 years in a row.  Nowhere else could he have gotten an extension for the amount he got.

He's a failure, and yet in hindsight this was his dream job (up to the shoulder thing, anyway), and life-wise he's won more than just about anyone you've ever met.  Except maybe Matt Flynn.  Total American Dream winner for a guy who started with nothing.

What is fair; where ever and with whom ever Sanchez found himself with he was going to be a failure.

What is fair; where ever and with whom ever Sanchez found himself with he was going to be a failure.

I do believe this was the dream situation for him, despite the cries to the contrary.  Sure he could have gone to a team with better targets or better QB coaching, and perhaps he may have ended up slightly better than he did.  But slightly better than terrible is still terrible.  And if he was on a team that supposedly knew so much more about QBs than the Jets, that team would have cut bait with him even sooner.  Then his 2nd NFL contract (optimistically) would have looked like Chad Henne's.

In other words, this was Mark Sanchez's dream scenario and dream job.

I just had an incredible conversation with two former NFL players. FSU DE who was recruited by Rex Ryan at Oklahoma and played for Parcells when he was on the Cowboys and Holmgren with the Seahwaks and the Tackle played for Mike Martz and Homlgren. Fascinating stuff about the league and Head Coaches true involvement on a team. In short, everything I say about Head Coaches and Rex Ryan is right and everything Tom says is wrong.

I won't name drop, I'm working on that but if you want to know more, PM me, they gave an incredible perspective.

Both love what they know of Rex from friends around the league and think the Jets are moving in the right direction with his leadership.

I just had an incredible conversation with two former NFL players. FSU DE who was recruited by Rex Ryan at Oklahoma and played for Parcells when he was on the Cowboys and Holmgren with the Seahwaks and the Tackle played for Mike Martz and Homlgren. Fascinating stuff about the league and Head Coaches true involvement on a team. In short, everything I say about Head Coaches and Rex Ryan is right and everything Tom says is wrong.

I won't name drop, I'm working on that but if you want to know more, PM me, they gave an incredible perspective.

Both love what they know of Rex from friends around the league and think the Jets are moving in the right direction with his leadership.

Who got to 21 first?

Scene: 12 plastic folding chairs arranged in a circle in a dark room at what we know is Shady Pines Drug and Alcohol Rehab Clinic, Jacksonville, Florida. A large black man named ANDRE weeps as he addresses the circle...

Man: ...and there I was, in the employee bathroom in that Denny's, sucking away on the manager's cock because I couldn't afford to pay for my Grand Slam. That's when I knew...that's when I knew I had to get that crack rock out of my life...

JiF: I have a question.

Counselor: This isn't question time, Steve. Go on, Andre...

Andre: Thank you. Anyway, I...

JiF: So, anyway, seriously, there's this guy Tom Shane on the internet and he's so gay and...

Counselor: Not this again, Steve.

JiF: But, for real, I just wanna ask Andre, when he's done with his Denny's blowjob story, how cool Rex is because Tom Shane says....

Counselor: wait in the hallway, Steve.

At the time I was mocked here pretty hard for the suggestion. I thought it was a perfect pickup. He was still in playing shape (was starting for Tampa the prior season, and didn't do a terrible job). He was similar height and had a similar (theoretical) skill set to the way Sanchez was billed coming out of school.

Disagree on the worst situation possible for Sanchez. Pretty strongly at that. He was going to be a failure no matter where he went because he's not talented from the neck up. At least the Jets, with high (if not #1 overall) ranked defense, ground game, offensive line, and special teams, he was able to skate by without producing and still have people say he "led" the team to the AFCCG 2 years in a row. Nowhere else could he have gotten an extension for the amount he got.

He's a failure, and yet in hindsight this was his dream job (up to the shoulder thing, anyway), and life-wise he's won more than just about anyone you've ever met. Except maybe Matt Flynn. Total American Dream winner for a guy who started with nothing.

Sanchez was an entitled man-baby who needed to be sent off to Pai Mei and instead got sent to live with Dina Lohan.

Sanchez was an entitled man-baby who needed to be sent off to Pai Mei and instead got sent to live with Dina Lohan.

Tough love can't cure stupid.  However we mishandled him, he was never going to do anything but suck for any of the other 31 teams.  For crying out loud he can't even beat out Matt Barkley for the # 2 job in Philly.

No doubt.  But if you think he would have responded to a hard-nosed HC like Parcells being here, and treating him as harshly as he did Phil Simms, you're mistaken.  The kid can't hit a moving target except by accident.  And he isn't all that great with stationary targets either. 

Ryan did what he did with Sanchez. And I do agree he was way too soft on him. But doing otherwise wouldn't have made Sanchez any good either.  He processes what he sees too slowly and mentally he isn't ready for the responsibility.  And I do believe the success that Ryan's Jets otherwise had masked a good amount of Sanchez's ineptitude, which merely prolonged and postponed the inevitability of the team moving on from him.  Under a worse coach, who couldn't coach defense (and without an ace special teams coach to boot), Sanchez's level of suck would have been more magnified and there wouldn't have been the room to rationalize any playoff wins as a sign of good things to come.

Whatever.  What's done is done, and the mistakes one makes as an inexperienced coach should only be troublesome if the mistakes are repeated.  I'm fine with allowing a rookie QB to stink to high hell in a slash & burn season like the '13 Jets.  A year later he deserves no such long leash.  We'll see if it's given to him:  if, like Parcells in '98 with Foley, Ryan allows Smith to go 0-3 while his backup tears it up in the starter's absence.  And the '14 Jets aren't nearly the complete team that the '98 Jets were either (plus this time in '98 Marvin Jones hadn't yet ripped up his knee).

You don't have to look much further than our '98 team to show that it's almost all about the QB.  And landing a good one usually does require some luck. 

Scene: 12 plastic folding chairs arranged in a circle in a dark room at what we know is Shady Pines Drug and Alcohol Rehab Clinic, Jacksonville, Florida. A large black man named ANDRE weeps as he addresses the circle...

Man: ...and there I was, in the employee bathroom in that Denny's, sucking away on the manager's cock because I couldn't afford to pay for my Grand Slam. That's when I knew...that's when I knew I had to get that crack rock out of my life...

JiF: I have a question.

Counselor: This isn't question time, Steve. Go on, Andre...

Andre: Thank you. Anyway, I...

JiF: So, anyway, seriously, there's this guy Tom Shane on the internet and he's so gay and...

Counselor: Not this again, Steve.

JiF: But, for real, I just wanna ask Andre, when he's done with his Denny's blowjob story, how cool Rex is because Tom Shane says....

Counselor: wait in the hallway, Steve.

Weak and I can't tell on the phone but debates prob still rep'd this.

Garcia would have been ideal at that point.

To be clear, I'm not solely blaming Ryan for Sanchez. Clearly, Woody had a DuPont-style inappropriate boner for Sanchez, Tannenbaum was an attention whore, and Ryan thinks he can coach up anyone (which is laughable at this point). Sanchez, immature pansy that he was at USC, couldn't have come to a worse situation. What I'm objecting to, with you and others, is the assertion that Rex was an innocent bystander in the Sanchez affair. Dude was as culpable as anyone.

Who says he was innocent? I have little doubt that Rex wanted Consuela to  cuckold him, and thus coddled him too much, but Sanchez was almost certainly going to stink wherever he went. He was Akili Smith

Also,  I am not buying this notion that he was handled badly. He had a top defense, and running attack for first 2 years, and a very good Oline. He was essentially asked just to manage the game, a guy like David Carr would've happily traded places.

Also,  I am not buying this notion that he was handled badly. He had a top defense, and running attack for first 2 years, and a very good Oline. He was essentially asked just to manage the game, a guy like David Carr would've happily traded places.

Truth.

You couldn't have asked for a better situation to put a young QB in.  I think the expectation was for Sanchez to be ready to carry the team in Year 3 and beyond while they trimmed the roster due to cap constraints. He wasn't up to the task, and the talent around him wasn't good enough to carry him.

For all of the criticisms of Tannenbaum (all of which are valid, IMO), he'd still be the GM here if Sanchez hadn't faltered.

The bold is true, and it's gross. Rex has almost no impact on the season because it's all on Mornhinweg getting Geno to be a real QB while the in-name-only HC is relegated to Assistant DL Coach. If Rex had any personal pride, he'd quit after the season.

We have an excellent DL coach, is that why Rex is an assistant? Maybe you could make Rex assistant DB coach also, come on, give the guy a little more responsbility. Seriously, you don't give Rex credit/blame for running this defense? Wow. Deep hate

We have an excellent DL coach, is that why Rex is an assistant? Maybe you could make Rex assistant DB coach also, come on, give the guy a little more responsbility. Seriously, you don't give Rex credit/blame for running this defense? Wow. Deep hate

My nickname in lacrosse was Deep Hate Nine.

Archived