IMMEDIATE (OVER)REACTION WEEK 1

CobraVerde

The trick plays were dumb. Red zone offense was bad. Rex's defense still gave up a late TD instead of closing out a game. We looked like a mediocre football team, period. Also the economy is in the tank and I'm 5 pounds overweight. **** all of you.

Giving up a lucky circus catch , garbage time TD hardly has a meaning other than to find things to complain about.

Only someone looking to find something to worry about with the D would care, especially given they held the Raiders to around 100 total yard before that drive.

Says a lot about how good they played.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was the part of my prediction that did come true. Like clockwork. Can't close.

They "closed" right near the end of the game with a tremendous play by the receiver who was covered by a Jet-he was right with him.  The receiver was taller, so at the very top of his jump he made a great one handed grab over the shorter CB's outstretched hands, then held on as he fell out of bounds.  Even so they would still need a TD to win.

it's frustrating because if thy could just play a reasonably clean game, they are a playoff caliber team

the mistakes just keep happening. the same mistakes.  colon holding, geno turning it over, defense gives up a long TD drive a the end of the game, red zone brain locks

I agree, if the Jets could only get their hands out of their colons, they'd not only play better but the game would drastically improve aesthetically.

Jets Defense was dominant IMO, vs. VERY sub-par competition, but dominant none-the-less.

The O looked much stronger, but with the same old weakness.

Two plays. Geno Smith, in two plays, cost his team 14 points.

14 points might not mean alot vs. the Rai-doh's. But vs. anyone good?

You can't throw INT's on your own 20, and you can't fumble on the other teams 5 yard line.

Other than those two plays, I was pretty happy overall, a solid game on D (one play of sh*t nonwithstanding) and a much better looking O.

1-0 is nice.

17 if you include the sack where he ran backwards 15 yards.

Jets Defense was dominant IMO, vs. VERY sub-par competition, but dominant none-the-less.

Two plays. Geno Smith, in two plays, cost his team 14 points.

14 points might not mean alot vs. the Rai-doh's. But vs. anyone good?

You can't throw INT's on your own 20, and you can't fumble on the other teams 5 yard line.

Other than those two plays, I was pretty happy overall, a solid game on D (one play of sh*t nonwithstanding) and a much better looking O.

1-0 is nice.

Never mind Shane ninja'd

Two plays.  Geno Smith, in two plays, cost his team 14 points.

14 points might not mean alot vs. the Rai-doh's.  But vs. anyone good?

1-0 is nice.

The knee was down.

I really hated the play calling this game. Too conservative and too cute. Vick should never take another snap for the Jets.

Geno needs to ******* slide.

I don't understand the lack of understanding here. The dual quarterback system has worked out gloriously for Rex in the past, it only makes sense that he would try it again.

Good:   The Jets completely dominated the game today on both sides of the ball

Bad:  Even dominating they only scored 19 points, squeaked by a bad team, and Geno still turns the ball over

net / net:  wins all count the same regardless of how they come.  offense looks legit, 1-0 is a great start to the season, and all mistakes are fixable.   Next week the Jets play with expectations for the 1st time this season...something they have never done well under Ryan.  

Yeah and with keeping in reality, it was the Raiders and a rookie QB, but how many times have we seen it go the other way for us?  With the makeshift D backfield we have right now this could have been ugly. It wasn't.  I'll take it.

That catch on the last Raiders TD was seriously impressive by the way. 

Immaculate, actually.

I think even though Geno had nice numbers today, the interception was a product of his locking into one side of the field after he does a quick scan after the snap. I would say on an eye test, he does this around 80% of the time.

Secondly, he's good at evading pressure but indecisive on committing to the rush or finding an open receiver. Also, his ball protection is going to be a problem if not addressed.

Too often he is not hitting receivers in stride on patterns. Decker is WR1 and yet his balls (except that beautiful fade) came in open space on flat feet. Same with a nice play with Kerley etc. This is basically normal and hopefully will get better over time as they get to know each other and develop chemistry.. Because that combo does have the potential to be lethal.

Chris Johnson is definitely the jewel of Idzik's off season efforts. He's got 3 years easy of top production, provided that he stays healthy, and almost in spite of some absurd play calling.

Is it Mornhinwheg or Rex who really likes the wildcat? How many oc's will come through the door and continue to call this play? That first red zone monstrosity is inexcusable, & will get Geno unnecessarily banged up. Personally I thought the concept of wildcatting the pass to Decker pulling across the end zone was well drawn but it should have been Geno throwing that ball, you don't bring in a cold qb there/you don't break a qb's rhythm in the red zone of all places. And, small note, Decker did drop that pass. Small victory for Schlereth.

The offensive line did a nice job both passing and running.

Offensive and defensive penalties were both inexscuable.

The defense is the defense. They kept us alive. Pryor is a breath of fresh air.

Idziks big picks continue to perform, and if the mid rounders play like Saunders is playing, we should have some depth.

I actually think if the offense can pull it together, they may make up for that secondary, but it's got to start with Geno, Decker, and some smarter play calling.

The trick plays were dumb. Red zone offense was bad. Rex's defense still gave up a late TD instead of closing out a game. We looked like a mediocre football team, period. Also the economy is in the tank and I'm 5 pounds overweight. **** all of you.

I have never understood Prevent defense. Specially from Rex's team. So for 58 minutes you eff around with a team at will and then give them space to function the final 2 minutes while yielding points. How about finishing them up.

without the D being so great the JEts don't win, period.  any good team capitalizes off the mistakes Geno made today.  Yet when it all came down to it the Jets offense held on.

it's frustrating because if thy could just play a reasonably clean game, they are a playoff caliber team

the mistakes just keep happening. the same mistakes. colon holding, geno turning it over, defense gives up a long TD drive a the end of the game, red zone brain locks

I agree, if the Jets could only get their hands out of their colons, they'd not only play better but the game would drastically improve aesthetically.

Pretty much my thoughts. To sum it up in one word - undisciplined. If that's a word.

They look like they could be good, if they can stop shooting themselves in the foot.

I have never understood Prevent defense. Specially from Rex's team. So for 58 minutes you eff around with a team at will and then give them space to function the final 2 minutes while yielding points. How about finishing them up.

You and me both

Pretty much my thoughts. To sum it up in one word - undisciplined. If that's a word.

They look like they could be good, if they can stop shooting themselves in the foot.

Completely unprepared. An entire summer to prepare for what may wind up bring the team with the worst overall record and they still looked unorganized as ****.

Completely unprepared. An entire summer to prepare for what may wind up bring the team with the worst overall record and they still looked unorganized as ****.

You know why I know you're trolling?

You measure your weight swings in 5 lb increments.

Gotta give it to the ilk.. they're putting up emmy calibur perfomances espousing their dismay.

Criticism is not whining, and observing isn't performing. If these are things that offend you, I suggest that you join a bridge club where you and the other golden girls can be super supportive of each other while you sing Jackson Browne songs.

Allen can tackle- Ivory needs not to showboat

What was funny about that was that usually a player showboats inside the 10, maybe the 15. But watching the video again, Ivory did it at the 38!

and without the late hit on the QB by pace, it probably ends that way. 

The late hit, aka the tap on the head.

Exactly. It was the same shlt last year - tons of penalties and geno turnovers. Deja fvcking vu.

Geno reminding me of tony banks the way he turns the ball over.

My thoughts....

Geno: Looked 100% percent better than last year. Still needs to clean up the fumble and the sack he took that took the Jets out of field goal range was unacceptable. As far as the pick was concerned, I think that was more of a timing route; real quick, Woodson made a heck of a play. 

Allen: Really nice game. Still want to see what he can do when he has to cover a WR down the field. He killed though on the quick screens.

Running game looked great, Defense after a bit of slow start put the clamps on the Raiders.

The only thing that kept the game close was the penalties. They really need to clean that up FAST. Green Bay is a totally different beast.

Archived