The Positive Sides of a Win

Integrity28

It wasn't perfect, but with the new CBA very few teams come in and execute well in week 1. Even if they are playing an inferior team (on paper).

So... as the season goes on and we continue to knock the rust off, what can we take away from today's game — our first real game action to evaluate this year's squad?

1. Antonio Allen looks like a complete defensive back. He can hold his own at CB or S, and gives us a fundamentally sound defender to match up against big-bodied targets going forward. The beautiful thing about discovering this is that it allows us to keep more of the pure safety talent on the roster while sliding AA over to CB. For a 6th round pick, you can't ask for much more than what this guy is giving us right now.

2. Geno. Put away your agendas folks. This is a maligned 2nd round pick coming into his second season and he looks good. I'm not making a proclamation that he's the next coming, BUT I think it's time we stop pretending he isn't showing tremendous signs of maturation. Considering we sat and made excuses for why Sanchez never "grew" as he gained more experience for 4-5 seaons, I think it's pretty damn positive that Geno is already showing more growth after 17 games.

3. The running game. Ivory and Johnson combined gives us something that cane be special. I don't really need to say much more than that. 

4. Rex's post-game positioning. For once he came out after a game, win or loss, and acted as if he expects more. None of that horsecrap used car salesman bullsh*t from him where he tells you about the rush D stats, or how 1 or 2 guys played great. It's a necessary philosophical shift for him to make, it's the point of view of a head coach vs. a position coach who always has "his guys" back. 

5. The front 7. We make teams 1-dimensional. We take away the run, and we can bombard the QB. Rush their throws and our evolving secondary can sort of be disguised. I tink this group is just scratching the surface. Get that rust knocked off and their going to be downright vicious.

Anyway... I just thought in light of a win, there were probably good things to be talking about and not just the penalties and discipline and missed opportunities.

Cheers, we're in a 3-way tie for 1st and the Pats are in the basement of our division!!! 

Very happy with the win and we did a lot of good things.  We could talk penalties and turnovers and put ourselves in a bad mood, but Geno and the WR's were clicking and our running game was dominant.

That said, talk to me after Week 3, the barometer of this team's potential will be revealed after visiting the Packers and hosting the Bears.  If we're 2-1 with penalties and turnovers under control this season may turn out nicely.

SAR I

Allen - as Rex has stated quite often - is just a heck of a football player.  Whether he's playing the Spur/OLB position in college, Safety his first couple NFL seasons and now to CB after a handful of pre-season snaps, the kid is just a damned good football player.  Still will be happy to see Dee come back.

The Patriots drop to 0-1 and have to play an explosive an no longer completely one-dimensional Minnesota team to hopefully go 0-2. Tommy Terrific was sailing passes all day and their highly-touted defense got absolute molly-whopped by the Dolphins. 

I thought our pass-pro was pretty outstanding for the majority of the plays and Geno's footwork looked great: Brian Winters is another play who's made significant strides in the off-season.  

Ever since the Cinci game Amaro has looked comfortable in the offense and I'm eager to see both he and Cumberland continue to make strides. 

Babin was a solid pickup, our defensive rotations seem to keep everyone fresh. 

And that Coples hit. My god that coples hit. I thought he decapitated Mojo.

I for one was very impressed with Antonio allen. when milliner comes back it might be better to have him and allen out there instead of walls. allen put on a tackling clinic today

Yessiree. I ddin't get that sense of latent dread, seeing him one-on-one in the open field (like I do when it's #20 out there)

positives from a win...lol.

Gotta agree with what's already been said. Allen keeps impressing regardless of the situation he's been thrown into. Whether covering Gronk, or switching to the outside. Just been a real football player.

I know, but if you read the board without seeing the scoreboard - you'd never know we won. :)

It wasn't perfect, but with the new CBA very few teams come in and execute well in week 1. Even if they are playing an inferior team (on paper).

So... as the season goes on and we continue to knock the rust off, what can we take away from today's game — our first real game action to evaluate this year's squad?

1. Antonio Allen looks like a complete defensive back. He can hold his own at CB or S, and gives us a fundamentally sound defender to match up against big-bodied targets going forward. The beautiful thing about discovering this is that it allows us to keep more of the pure safety talent on the roster while sliding AA over to CB. For a 6th round pick, you can't ask for much more than what this guy is giving us right now.

2. Geno. Put away your agendas folks. This is a maligned 2nd round pick coming into his second season and he looks good. I'm not making a proclamation that he's the next coming, BUT I think it's time we stop pretending he isn't showing tremendous signs of maturation. Considering we sat and made excuses for why Sanchez never "grew" as he gained more experience for 4-5 seaons, I think it's pretty damn positive that Geno is already showing more growth after 17 games.

3. The running game. Ivory and Johnson combined gives us something that cane be special. I don't really need to say much more than that. 

4. Rex's post-game positioning. For once he came out after a game, win or loss, and acted as if he expects more. None of that horsecrap used car salesman bullsh*t from him where he tells you about the rush D stats, or how 1 or 2 guys played great. It's a necessary philosophical shift for him to make, it's the point of view of a head coach vs. a position coach who always has "his guys" back. 

5. The front 7. We make teams 1-dimensional. We take away the run, and we can bombard the QB. Rush their throws and our evolving secondary can sort of be disguised. I tink this group is just scratching the surface. Get that rust knocked off and their going to be downright vicious.

Anyway... I just thought in light of a win, there were probably good things to be talking about and not just the penalties and discipline and missed opportunities.

Cheers, we're in a 3-way tie for 1st and the Pats are in the basement of our division!!! 

I agree with most of what you said except Allen was actually a 7th rd pick which makes it even that much better. And people don't value those picks. 

With everyone talking about most of the other points, I will say that I am really looking for Rex to take a step forward in Maturing as a HC the season. I am a Rex supporter, but even still I cringe at times with his stance and response to certain situations.

It's important for the cohesion of the team over the long haul IMO. We have some really solid building blocks and overall philosophy is intact. Now if we can just have some grown ups in the room it would be refreshing. It may be heading that way….. I hope

Positives:

Over 400 yards of offense.

The defense gave up only 158 yards, that's crazy considering 73 of that came in garbage time on that last Raiders TD drive.

Geno was insanely accurate at 23/28 (82.1%) (if you told me he'd get over 80% comp in a game this year I wouldn't believe it)

Defensive tackling was superb, almost no yards after the catch.

Run defense was amazing
Good QB pressure

Ivory and CJ2K are going to be an awesome tandem, 193 yards combined between the two (rush and receiving) and 2 TDs.

Negatives:

Penalties

Geno's pick, fumble, and untimely sack taken that pushed us out of FG range

The fact that these two things ^ prevented us from scoring 30+ like we should have given the statistical dominance.

Marty's cute plays in the redzone

Allen was a 7th round draft pick which is pretty amazing considering how good he looks so far.

I did and it is.  Coples showing a flash of the beast we hope he will become.  Wasn't sure if that was the ball or MJD's head. 

Did it remind anyone of Pele's kick at the end of 'Victory'?

Very happy with the win and we did a lot of good things.  We could talk penalties and turnovers and put ourselves in a bad mood, but Geno and the WR's were clicking and our running game was dominant.

That said, talk to me after Week 3, the barometer of this team's potential will be revealed after visiting the Packers and hosting the Bears.  If we're 2-1 with penalties and turnovers under control this season may turn out nicely.

SAR I

Now this is new :

A post without any smartass remark regarding Rex?   GfY58JB.gif

That seemed to be your modus operandi at JI. 

Archived