Makes a ton of sense to trade Wilkerson/Snacks this offseason.

Shockwave

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snacks isn't even a starter- I don't know what his salary is but I doubt it is too high.  Wilkerson grew up in NJ so I doubt he would like to play elsewhere- he would be willing to take less if it helped the team get better.   If anything I think they should trade Sheldon to st. louis for a first rounder because Sheldon doesn't seem to realize he's playing in NY.  

This is assuming Mariotta is not there for us of course. 

We have a bunch of good lineman. But these guys are ALL going to need contracts soon. So how much does a good lineman get? 

Mario Williams got 6 years, 96m

Chris Long got 5 years, 60m

Calais Campbell got 5 years, 51m

Robert Quinn is avg 14m a year. 

Charles Johnson got 6 years, 76m

JJ Watt got 6 years, 100m

Most of the better Franchises lock up their good young players while the club has the power. Meaning most clubs would have locked up Wilkerson a long time ago. Unfortunetly Wilkerson is going to be making 7-8m this upcoming season and then will get his big payday in Free Agency. The only way we are keeping this guy beyond next year is if we overpay him. So What does "Overpay him" mean?

It means Mo is going to cost us OVER 10m a year. Likely 12-13m a year to prevent him from going to FA. I would think 10m is the lowest price possible. Albeit lower but Snacks is going to get atlas 7-8m from someone. 

Im sure you all have seen the mocks and projected players in the top ten this year. Now Im not saying we have to go Dline- But theres alot of really good ones that are going to be on the board. Leonard Williams is going to be really good. If the Raiders pass up on Mariotta - he's going to be the reason. How much would he cost us yearly?  4 to 5 million.  That right there could save us 7-8m yearly. 

Young Dlineman like Mo will definitely get us a day 2 pick.  Snacks may as well.  Again Im not saying we would have to take a first round Dlineman. But lets just say Mariotta isn't there and we do take Williams. In my opinion WR bust rate is one of the highest in the NFL - Theres alot of very decent to good WR that will reach Free Agency this year. Including:

Crabtree

Demarious Thomas

Dez

Cecil Shorts

Percy Harvin (once cut)

Cecil Shorts

Torrey Smith

Randall Cobb 

Andre Holmes 

I know right now your going to solely think of offense. But we are bad. This isn't the time to start giving guys like Mo 12m a year during rebuilding. This is the time to get more picks and get a GM that won't blow them. This scenario is going to be talked about alot in the offseason. Guaranteed. 

Lastly if we get the second pick and we are behind the raiders - If we want Mariotta all we have to do is convince the world we are in love with Williams. Because if do that the Raiders will not even consider moving down and they will take Williams at number 1. Which leaves Mariotta to us.  

Ask yourself - Would you pay Mo and Snacks top 5 Dline Money? Would you consider trading them? and If Mariotta is not there are you prepared to pass on a guy like Williams? 

While in a vacuum this could work, doing this would have some adverse effects on the team.  

1.  With a trade of Wilkerson, we are pigeonholed into a 3-4 defense, which may or may not be the choice of the new coaching staff.  With the possibility of a Wilkerson, Ellis, Sheldon, Coples as a possible 4-3 line, we would be set up better for the future, especially with our mediocre LB play.  This would allows the team to focus a pick or so on the LB crew to inject more speed there.   Without Wilkerson, we are in trouble if someone like Williams is also off the board.  Assuming we pick around pick 4, there is a good chance the Raiders and or Jaguars go defensive line in the first round.  So if they pick Williams and Gregory, and either TB, TN picks Mariotta, then we don't have a QB nor do we have a DE.   And since free agency plays out before the draft, we would have to make up our minds to see what happens otherwise.  Ofcourse, this could change with the draft order, and if we end up at say 2 or 3 (with Oak and/or Jags ahead of us) then the equation changes and we may have a shot at a QB.  

2.  We would also be assuming that any of these WRs would actually want to come here, when we won't have a good QB situation (since this trade would essentially mean that we're making our first pick as a DL) nor a good supporting cast.  With Kerley locked up, any addition we make to the roster for a big time WR would also cost Harvin from the team, because I doubt the team is going to pay essentially three of the top 15 wide receivers in the league to catch passes from a nobody.  And this would also go against the rebuilding effort we'd be embarking on by moving on from Wilkerson.   

I believe Demarius already has stated that he'd take a hometown discount from the Broncos, so I figure he stays in Denver.  Dallas will try to retain Dez as well.   

The other guys are possible hits on miss as well.  Cobb would be essentially what Harvin was a few years ago, coming from a very good QB, undersized in a very good system for WRs out of the slot.  Also like Harvin, essentially makes our offense in the same position as we are now.  It's not that big of an upgrade, for what will cost more.  I would rather rework the Harvin deal to include less money overall, but more guaranteed money.  

But the biggest problem here is that these guys have to have a desire to come here when we have no QB on the team that is even average, and a team that really isn't going anywhere until the QB position gets solved.   Unless we overpay (and by that logic we lose value), there are other teams that these guys could go to where they can produce better AND win.  My inclination is to think that Cincy is going to go after one of these guys this offseason, they could have the space to make it happen.   

3.  We're banking on the draft to not bust, and the last time we picked this high in a draft via our terrible record, we ended up with Gholston, and before that, Robertson.  DLinemen have a high bust rate as well.   Even a can't miss guy like Clowney has been a miss so far, albeit for injuries.  

4.  We have enough cap space to upgrade at WR, possibly CB, and still sign Wilkerson.  Especially if you take Harvin out of the picture.  Even if you rework Harvin's deal to save about $3 million (I can't imagine he'd be getting $10 million on the open market after all his injuries and doing pretty much nothing here), you still have money left over.   By trading away Wilkerson, we're creating cap space when we don't really need cap space.  We already know Wilkerson is a good role model, and a good player.  It also helps that guys like Richardson look to him as a leader.   

I don't mind trading Snacks, I'd love to tender him at 2nd rd pick value and let him leave, because I think Ellis is a comparable player that won't get paid nearly as much.  This part of the theory, I agree with if someone wants Snacks for a second round tender or pick, I'd be all for it.  

And in a convoluted way, if we are rebuilding for the long run and have no intention of competing anytime soon (which should be the case if we have no QB), then couldn't we take advantage of the salary cap as a trade chip?  The rules stipulate that we can't keep carrying over cash year to year over I believe it's a 4 year period, without spending it.  So if you have no intention of competing, why not sign Wilkerson, and then trade him?  You can take the cap hit for the dead money from the bonus (thus in compliance with the cap rules), but eliminating that money makes him much more attractive to any other team out there, and you can increase your return value considerably.  We would lose the money, and the cap space, but if we are rebuilding and tanking, why not try to get back better picks for the money?  Essentially using money to buy picks.  

Overall, the risks to trading Wilkerson aren't worth the reward because there are too many variables.  Until we get a QB, I don't see any good WR that isn't being overpaid coming here because this is a QB league.  SO detracting from the defense to add offense via free agency isn't really worth it.   It's probably a better way to go with drafting a QB (be it Mariotta or even Winston) and hope they have the talent to elevate this offense.  

This is assuming Mariotta is not there for us of course.

We have a bunch of good lineman. But these guys are ALL going to need contracts soon. So how much does a good lineman get?

Mario Williams got 6 years, 96m

Chris Long got 5 years, 60m

Calais Campbell got 5 years, 51m

Robert Quinn is avg 14m a year.

Charles Johnson got 6 years, 76m

JJ Watt got 6 years, 100m

Most of the better Franchises lock up their good young players while the club has the power. Meaning most clubs would have locked up Wilkerson a long time ago. Unfortunetly Wilkerson is going to be making 7-8m this upcoming season and then will get his big payday in Free Agency. The only way we are keeping this guy beyond next year is if we overpay him. So What does "Overpay him" mean?

It means Mo is going to cost us OVER 10m a year. Likely 12-13m a year to prevent him from going to FA. I would think 10m is the lowest price possible. Albeit lower but Snacks is going to get atlas 7-8m from someone.

Im sure you all have seen the mocks and projected players in the top ten this year. Now Im not saying we have to go Dline- But theres alot of really good ones that are going to be on the board. Leonard Williams is going to be really good. If the Raiders pass up on Mariotta - he's going to be the reason. How much would he cost us yearly? 4 to 5 million. That right there could save us 7-8m yearly.

Young Dlineman like Mo will definitely get us a day 2 pick. Snacks may as well. Again Im not saying we would have to take a first round Dlineman. But lets just say Mariotta isn't there and we do take Williams. In my opinion WR bust rate is one of the highest in the NFL - Theres alot of very decent to good WR that will reach Free Agency this year. Including:

Crabtree

Demarious Thomas

Dez

Cecil Shorts

Percy Harvin (once cut)

Cecil Shorts

Torrey Smith

Randall Cobb

Andre Holmes

I know right now your going to solely think of offense. But we are bad. This isn't the time to start giving guys like Mo 12m a year during rebuilding. This is the time to get more picks and get a GM that won't blow them. This scenario is going to be talked about alot in the offseason. Guaranteed.

Lastly if we get the second pick and we are behind the raiders - If we want Mariotta all we have to do is convince the world we are in love with Williams. Because if do that the Raiders will not even consider moving down and they will take Williams at number 1. Which leaves Mariotta to us.

Ask yourself - Would you pay Mo and Snacks top 5 Dline Money? Would you consider trading them? and If Mariotta is not there are you prepared to pass on a guy like Williams?

This is one of the finest suggestion here. Let's draft all-pros n when they are about to hit their prime, let's trade them away for a draft pick that may not even crack the 53 man squad, but hey, we save a lot of money that we can spend in FA n get some overpriced and/or over the hill players.

But hey, we saved money on our best defender n our gem we found in the undrafted market. What could go wrong? It's not like we've ever missed on a 2nd rounder (Geno, Hills, etc).

Honestly, this is one of the worst posts. Like u mentioned, most of the good franchises lock up such young players. Why should we do anything differently? Next urs $7mil salary is a bargaining chip for Jets to offer good signing bonus where Mo ends up taking home 15-20 mil in net cash next yr with many more mila still guaranteed. If he declines, we tag him at a top 5 salary average, which is what he'd get anyways if he signed a long term deal.

As for Snacks, he has zero leverage but to accept a good guaranty n signing bonus, or play the season at $2.8 mil as RFA. We can keep both of them here. They are supposed to be the guys you build your D around, not the guys you use as your draft pick collectors which bust.

We traded Revis n essentially picked up Milliner. How has that worked out? We let Sanchez walk n picked up Vick. How did that go? We essentially groomed Sanchez n when he was ready, we released him, thanks to the public pressure.

**** the idea of trading your best guys. You wanna save money, when you have more than a trillion left in the salary cap n start trading away guys? Explain why? Are we in cap hell?

Interior Pressure absolutely kills Brady as you may have seen earlier this year. Same with Manning and most QB's. 

If Mo is going to cost 11-12m a year then Suh at 14-15m a year seems appealing. Him and Richardson together would be possibly the best DT tandem since the Jaguars had Big John Henderson and Stroud.

This is why Idzik took Sheldon....boom jackpot! There's more than one way to skin a cat. Say the new regime wants to change to a 4-3.

Say they are not enamored with Mariota or Winston.

Now imagine they trade both Big Mo (never gonna get more for him than now) & Snacks (right now a hot commodity for a team that can't stop the run) and then draft Leonard Williams!

Free agent Targets?

Suh & Iupati

I could live playing a 4-3 with Coples-Suh-Sheldon-Leonard Wiiliams! Damn!

Now your picking top 5 in every round + the picks you got for Mo & Snacks which might include some future 2016 picks.

Those other picks can give you the ability to start loading up on Olineman & LBs.

It's not a farfetched theory regarding the Dline. Keep building through the draft with a couple of FA pickups each year but make sure that the real money is spent on players that are 1-in their Prime & 2- top 5 at their position.

If your spending FA money make it count. 2 young guys in their prime that help solidify the trenches.

This is one of the finest suggestion here. Let's draft all-pros n when they are about to hit their prime, let's trade them away for a draft pick that may not even crack the 53 man squad, but hey, we save a lot of money that we can spend in FA n get some overpriced and/or over the hill players.

But hey, we saved money on our best defender n our gem we found in the undrafted market. What could go wrong? It's not like we've ever missed on a 2nd rounder (Geno, Hills, etc).

Honestly, this is one of the worst posts. Like u mentioned, most of the good franchises lock up such young players. Why should we do anything differently? Next urs $7mil salary is a bargaining chip for Jets to offer good signing bonus where Mo ends up taking home 15-20 mil in net cash next yr with many more mila still guaranteed. If he declines, we tag him at a top 5 salary average, which is what he'd get anyways if he signed a long term deal.

As for Snacks, he has zero leverage but to accept a good guaranty n signing bonus, or play the season at $2.8 mil as RFA. We can keep both of them here. They are supposed to be the guys you build your D around, not the guys you use as your draft pick collectors which bust.

We traded Revis n essentially picked up Milliner. How has that worked out? We let Sanchez walk n picked up Vick. How did that go? We essentially groomed Sanchez n when he was ready, we released him, thanks to the public pressure.

**** the idea of trading your best guys. You wanna save money, when you have more than a trillion left in the salary cap n start trading away guys? Explain why? Are we in cap hell?

Because Sheldon is younger & BETTER than Mo! I'd give Suh 12 million before I would give Mo "no sacks since week 6" Wilkerson 12 million! My god, Jet fans ALWAYS overrate our own players! Mo is good, he's not SUH good!

Next time Mo KILLS a guy chasing him down & takes his head off 12 yards from the LOS let me know. I've seen Mo slacking behind a play too often for my liking. I put that on that soft azz coach we have where players have no accountability & Rex telling them how GREAT they are.

This is the dumbest thing anyone has ever posted here.

It actually is not.

There is going to be a new regime in here.  That is for certain.  They will not be tied to any one player.

This team needs many pieces, including the most important piece: A Quarterback.  If the Jets would do it right for once at the position, they need to draft a QB and let him sit for awhile and learn the game.  Do not rush him into the mix on opening day.  There are only so many Andrew Luck's that come along in the draft.

IF they were to switch back to a 4-3 base, you could have Richardson manning one spot and Coples on the other.  The Jets have two able middle men in either Barnes and Ellis.  Snacks is probably going to cost too much money, but one good thing is Harrison is a RFA.  We can tender him and get a pick out of him

As for Wilkerson.  Is he good?  Absolutely. But he is going to cost $10-13 million a year.  Ndamukong Suh has already expressed his desire to play in a NY based market.  He will cost that much as well.  Is he better than Wilkerson?  Probably not.  He is pretty close?  Probably.

So....ask yourself this?

Wilkerson @ $12 million a season

OR

Suh @ $12 million a season plus a 1st round draft pick you could get for Wilkerson (maybe even more).

The topic should receive a ton of hate. Understandably 

But its absolutely realistic. All of it. Im just giving you the news 5-6 months before Cimini or some other beat Writer tweets it. 

New Front offices trade players away to get picks so they can rebuild. Mangini traded away Vilma then drafted LB's. Idzik traded away Revis then drafted Milliner and Pryor. 

If we end up drafting in the top 3 picks - Leonard Williams is either our leverage for getting Mariotta, or hell be the Best player available. 

Yeah, so it wasn't really good or smart for Mangini to dispose of guys like Vilma, Mawae and Abraham... all it got him was Mangold and 3 years of "still trying to find the players to fit his system" rebuild rhetoric.

Horrible, horrible moving drawing insights from one example set by the sh*t regime that preceded the current sh*t regime.

Yeah, so it wasn't really good or smart for Mangini to dispose of guys like Vilma, Mawae and Abraham... all it got him was Mangold and 3 years of "still trying to find the players to fit his system" rebuild rhetoric.

Horrible, horrible moving drawing insights from one example set by the sh*t regime that preceded the current sh*t regime.

Trading Abraham was a great move. Abraham signed a 6 year contract worth 45 million immediately. One of the richest contracts at the time. He didn't feel like playing in playoff games. 

We ended up getting Nick Mangold who would be a top Center in football. Mangold and that offensive line is the reason we went to two AFC championships. 

While John Abraham received a 6 year/45m dollar deal Mangold was signed to a 5 year/7m dollar deal. Meaning 5 years of Mangold was the same price of 1 year of Abraham. 

Mangini a few great moves. 

So now we should just start trying to unload or refusing to re-sign any player who is not the best at his position in the NFL because who needs a guy who's top five or six?  New GM is gonna' be a busy man.

While in a vacuum this could work, doing this would have some adverse effects on the team.  

1.  With a trade of Wilkerson, we are pigeonholed into a 3-4 defense, which may or may not be the choice of the new coaching staff.  With the possibility of a Wilkerson, Ellis, Sheldon, Coples as a possible 4-3 line, we would be set up better for the future, especially with our mediocre LB play.  This would allows the team to focus a pick or so on the LB crew to inject more speed there.   Without Wilkerson, we are in trouble if someone like Williams is also off the board.  Assuming we pick around pick 4, there is a good chance the Raiders and or Jaguars go defensive line in the first round.  So if they pick Williams and Gregory, and either TB, TN picks Mariotta, then we don't have a QB nor do we have a DE.   And since free agency plays out before the draft, we would have to make up our minds to see what happens otherwise.  Ofcourse, this could change with the draft order, and if we end up at say 2 or 3 (with Oak and/or Jags ahead of us) then the equation changes and we may have a shot at a QB.  

Real Good Point. If we do end up picking 4th there is a good chance Gregory, Williams and Mariotta are all gone. In fact if the draft were today that is exactly what would happen. I do think our best shot at Mariotta is to land the second spot. I don't think the raiders will pass on Gregory/Williams - Nor will they trade back to 3 or 4 as they will miss out on them. 

2.  We would also be assuming that any of these WRs would actually want to come here, when we won't have a good QB situation (since this trade would essentially mean that we're making our first pick as a DL) nor a good supporting cast.  With Kerley locked up, any addition we make to the roster for a big time WR would also cost Harvin from the team, because I doubt the team is going to pay essentially three of the top 15 wide receivers in the league to catch passes from a nobody.  And this would also go against the rebuilding effort we'd be embarking on by moving on from Wilkerson.   

I believe Demarius already has stated that he'd take a hometown discount from the Broncos, so I figure he stays in Denver.  Dallas will try to retain Dez as well.   

The other guys are possible hits on miss as well.  Cobb would be essentially what Harvin was a few years ago, coming from a very good QB, undersized in a very good system for WRs out of the slot.  Also like Harvin, essentially makes our offense in the same position as we are now.  It's not that big of an upgrade, for what will cost more.  I would rather rework the Harvin deal to include less money overall, but more guaranteed money.  

But the biggest problem here is that these guys have to have a desire to come here when we have no QB on the team that is even average, and a team that really isn't going anywhere until the QB position gets solved.   Unless we overpay (and by that logic we lose value), there are other teams that these guys could go to where they can produce better AND win.  My inclination is to think that Cincy is going to go after one of these guys this offseason, they could have the space to make it happen.   

Agree. It seems that our choice will to be to overpay a FA wide receiver. I do think that Harvin will be cut however. If our GM is smart he holds onto harvin until after the draft as we have a ton of leverage because he has no guaranteed money. At that point he may accept a smaller contract - if not cut him then. 

3.  We're banking on the draft to not bust, and the last time we picked this high in a draft via our terrible record, we ended up with Gholston, and before that, Robertson.  DLinemen have a high bust rate as well.   Even a can't miss guy like Clowney has been a miss so far, albeit for injuries.  

True. You left out Sanchez which many consider a bust for us at-least. 

4.  We have enough cap space to upgrade at WR, possibly CB, and still sign Wilkerson.  Especially if you take Harvin out of the picture.  Even if you rework Harvin's deal to save about $3 million (I can't imagine he'd be getting $10 million on the open market after all his injuries and doing pretty much nothing here), you still have money left over.   By trading away Wilkerson, we're creating cap space when we don't really need cap space.  We already know Wilkerson is a good role model, and a good player.  It also helps that guys like Richardson look to him as a leader.   

I don't mind trading Snacks, I'd love to tender him at 2nd rd pick value and let him leave, because I think Ellis is a comparable player that won't get paid nearly as much.  This part of the theory, I agree with if someone wants Snacks for a second round tender or pick, I'd be all for it.  

I think this would be my preferred outcome. I would love to resign Ellis and trade snacks - Especially if we go to a 4-3. I am still on the fence as to paying Wilkerson top 10 Dline money which will be around 11-12m per.  I love him but thats close to Watt money. I do think he will command that being so close to Free Agency. 

And in a convoluted way, if we are rebuilding for the long run and have no intention of competing anytime soon (which should be the case if we have no QB), then couldn't we take advantage of the salary cap as a trade chip?  The rules stipulate that we can't keep carrying over cash year to year over I believe it's a 4 year period, without spending it.  So if you have no intention of competing, why not sign Wilkerson, and then trade him?  You can take the cap hit for the dead money from the bonus (thus in compliance with the cap rules), but eliminating that money makes him much more attractive to any other team out there, and you can increase your return value considerably.  We would lose the money, and the cap space, but if we are rebuilding and tanking, why not try to get back better picks for the money?  Essentially using money to buy picks.  

Overall, the risks to trading Wilkerson aren't worth the reward because there are too many variables.  Until we get a QB, I don't see any good WR that isn't being overpaid coming here because this is a QB league.  SO detracting from the defense to add offense via free agency isn't really worth it.   It's probably a better way to go with drafting a QB (be it Mariotta or even Winston) and hope they have the talent to elevate this offense.  

Excellent Post. I replied in the thread. 

99 percent of the replies so far(besides the above) just assume it will be easy to resign Wilkerson. It will not. For those people that do not understand this go look at the 2011 draft and the first round. Cam Newton, Dareus, Julio Jones, Von Miller, JJ Watt, Peterson, Aldon Smith, Quinn, Cam Jordon, Wilkerson, Heward, Mark Ingram, Jimmy Smith etc. The guys above that have signed contracts are setting records. The guys that haven't will either get grossly overpaid OR reach Free Agency.  And if your going to lose a player to FA would you not consider trading him first? 

Btw - How ridiculously good was this draft class? One of the best I have ever seen since I have been following the draft. 

FLORHAM PARK — The Bleacher Report headline that's making its way around the internet this rainy Thursday afternoon reads as follows: "Can Jets Afford Potential Muhammad Wilkerson Megadeal?"

It's a question that can be answered in an instant, and without having to click the story: "Uh, yeah."

Of course the Jets can afford to do a super-duper deal with Wilkerson, their stud defensive end. They've got all those bundles of cap-space cash John Idzik has been busy making paper airplanes with since he took over as general manager, remember?

But that's not even what the story is about: It's a video report in which Jason Cole, Bleacher Report's NFL insider, actually says the Jets and Wilkerson, a Linden native, are far apart in negotiations toward a contract extension. Which is exactly the message Wilkerson's camp wants to convey to the public, mostly because it has to do so.

Understand: NFL news leaks are typically done to suit the agenda of the leaker. By pumping the notion that the two sides are far apart, Wilkerson's camp is trying to exert pressure on Idzik to come up with a deal that keeps one of the Jets' best young assets around for years to come. With Wilkerson possibly unable to sniff free agency until after 2016—his sixth year in the league—because of a collective bargaining agreement that's grossly unfair to first-round draft picks, airing the differences between the two sides is one of the few chips Wilkerson's camp can play at the moment.

The CBA gives first-round picks like Wilkerson precious little leverage when his rookie deal expires: The Jets have already picked up the fifth-year option on Wilkerson's rookie contract for 2015, which calls for him to earn a fully guaranteed $6.96 million next season. But after that, the Jets then could place the franchise tag on Wilkerson in 2016; the franchise number for defensive ends this year is $13.116 million, though it is expected to continue to rise because the NFL is swimming in a river of television money right now.

That $6.96 million Wilkerson is slated to make during his 2015 option year is far below what he could command on the open market. Even as the Jets are scuffling along at 1-6 this season, Wilkerson has continued to play at a high level: Pro Football Focus grades as him as the second-best 3-4 defensive end in the NFL, behind only J.J. Watt of the Texans, who was also taken in the 2011 first round.

Last month, Watt signed an extension with the Texans that, per spotrac.com, will play him nearly $52 million in guarantees (including $30.8 million in initial guarantees) with a max length of up to six years.

Now, Wilkerson may not command that kind of money, but according to what Cole said in the video above, Wilkerson wants more than what defensive end Robert Quinn—another 2011 first-rounder—got last month from the Rams, which was $41 in potential guarantees with $15.6 million in initial guarantees, per spotrac.com. But the Jets, Cole said, are hewing closer to the franchise-level figures outlined above.

"This one's not going to get done any time soon," Cole said, "unless the Jets are really willing to open up the checkbook and pay some serious guaranteed money."

Which basically means the two sides will continue to negotiate. Left unsaid is they still have plenty of time to do so.

Dom Cosentino may be reached at dcosentino@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @domcosentino. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook

The above article is from 10.23.14.  Note - Robert Quinn received 6 year, 65.6 million dollars (41 guaranteed). So Wilkerson as I have said is likely looking for about 12million a year or perhaps a 6 year extension worth around 72million with over 45m guaranteed. 

Not sure if it was brought up, but there's going to come a time where the Jets GM has to choose between Mo and Sheldon Richardson, because both are going to want $10 mil per, and both are the type of DE that you ideally pair opposite the elite pass rusher, who is also a $10+ mil player. No way can you commit that kind of coin to the front seven. If Mo's agent wants to use the Watt deal as a barometer, he's out of his mind. The league is filled with DEs that get to the QB semi-regularly that don't cost $10 mil per.

Not sure if it was brought up, but there's going to come a time where the Jets GM has to choose between Mo and Sheldon Richardson, because both are going to want $10 mil per, and both are the type of DE that you ideally pair opposite the elite pass rusher, who is also a $10+ mil player. No way can you commit that kind of coin to the front seven. If Mo's agent wants to use the Watt deal as a barometer, he's out of his mind. The league is filled with DEs that get to the QB semi-regularly that don't cost $10 mil per.

And don't forget COPLES will ask for another $10M

the agent gets paid to aim high and ask for the most.  I don't care that they do as long as Mangold is a Jet for life tbh.  I would give him a 25 year deal, lol

If Mo's agent wants to use the Watt deal as a barometer, he's out of his mind. The league is filled with DEs that get to the QB semi-regularly that don't cost $10 mil per.

Depends how they classify him. My guess is his agent is going to categorize him as an end while the Jets will be arguing he's a tackle. The fact that he's going to go to the Pro Bowl as a DT this year isn't going to help him much in that regard. The problem is that the advanced measurables that are available to fans, which aren't insanely that far off from what teams actually use, still rank him as an end. And considering the cap will be up by then and he's #2 to Watt, his agent probably will be using Watt's deal as a standard.

Hmmmm What will Coples command?  a bag of Ruffles or Lays

I know Coples is not a stud. But its interesting you bring him up. 

The Option Year

The four-year term mentioned above can turn to five years at the team’s discretion. In the prior rookie pay system, teams and players negotiated “buy backs” of additional contract years, often for significant compensation to the player. The new CBA eliminated such bells and whistles from these deals but does permit teams to add a year to first-round contracts without buying it. Article VII, Section 7(a) of the CBA allows teams to apply a fifth-year to first-round contracts, provided it is exercised before May 3 of the player’s fourth season, with salary as follows:

1. For players picked 1-10, the transition tag for their position in their fourth year (thus, the 2014 transition tag for 2011 picks);
  2. For players picked 11-32, the average salary of players ranked 3rd-25th in salary for that position.

For star players—such as Newton or J.J. Watt in this year’s group—the option equates to a free franchise tag at a price far below the real tag (teams can still apply the tag in the player’s sixth year). Even for lesser players, there is little risk in extending the contract for an extra year with no up front cost. 

Coples is entering the last year of his rookie contract next year. The option year would cost us around 8m dollars likely which I don't see us picking up. 

So as of now Next year will likely be a Walk Year for Wilkerson, Snacks, and Coples.  Thats an issue.  Kendrick Ellis is a FA this year too. I have no idea why Idzik let these guys get so close to Free Agency. 

He's your best player, you drafted him, he's from the area, is under team control for a reasonable price for two more years and is extremely young,  you don't get rid of those guys for unproven talent, no matter how good you think they might be. 

You might when you are in full rebuild mode like the Jets will be. We are likely 2-3 years away so Wilkerson would be towards the end of his second contract when we are good. If you can get a first+ for Mo you do it.

You might when you are in full rebuild mode like the Jets will be. We are likely 2-3 years away so Wilkerson would be towards the end of his second contract when we are good. If you can get a first+ for Mo you do it.

Totally. The best way to rebuild is by getting rid of 25 year old elite talent for the opportunity to draft an unknown product. Brilliant.

I know Coples is not a stud. But its interesting you bring him up. 

Coples is entering the last year of his rookie contract next year. The option year would cost us around 8m dollars likely which I don't see us picking up. 

So as of now Next year will likely be a Walk Year for Wilkerson, Snacks, and Coples.  Thats an issue.  Kendrick Ellis is a FA this year too. I have no idea why Idzik let these guys get so close to Free Agency.

There was ZERO reason for the Jets to extend Wilk until this offseason. The Jets had all the leverage with his contract, and still control him for 2 more seasons. That being said,  I'd be shocked if they dont get something done before 2015. Snacks will be tendered as a 2nd round comp this offseason. If I'm Idzik, I attempt to lock him up. Coples doesn't have the stats or the big plays to warrant a big contract. I still think he's going to end up a solid NFL player, but he's not going to get a huge deal, even in free agency (unless the new HC actually plays him on the DL next year and he ends up with 10+ sacks)

There was ZERO reason for the Jets to extend Wilk until this offseason. The Jets had all the leverage with his contract, and still control him for 2 more seasons. That being said,  I'd be shocked if they dont get something done before 2015. Snacks will be tendered as a 2nd round comp this offseason. If I'm Idzik, I attempt to lock him up. Coples doesn't have the stats or the big plays to warrant a big contract. I still think he's going to end up a solid NFL player, but he's not going to get a huge deal, even in free agency (unless the new HC actually plays him on the DL next year and he ends up with 10+ sacks)

Wilk is from the 2011 class. He is a Free Agent after next year. Many from his class have already signed extensions including Tyron. Smith, JJ Watt, Patrick Peterson, Colin Kapernick, Andy Dalton, Robert Quinn, Kyle Rudolph, Aaron Williams etc.

We have too much depth, I don't think it's crazy to trade at least one of the guys in our D-Line. You can't pay them all big bucks, you can't use them all the way they should be used. And then have such massive holes at LB and especially in your backfield.

Snacks is a monster, but we can get by without him. He barely even plays. He would have A LOT more value for a typical 3-4 defense like Pittsburgh, San Fran, Baltimore, Kansas and so on. Here he gets about 20 snaps per game. You don't pay a guy like that big bucks. I think we could get a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him in a trade and we should definitely try to trade him. Unless he comes really cheap, then I'd have him back. Ellis has shown he can be probably the best interior guy in the NFL, he has that kind of upside. But we've only seen glimpses, we don't know if he can play an entire game at that level, let alone an entire season as a starter. He's always banged up, he always gets hurt whenever he gets a shot.

As for Mo: While I think Coples can be a force in the 3-4 with his hands on the ground and possibly become a Pro Bowl caliber guy, Mo is just too important for this defense. He always plays every snap, he lines up everywhere, he provides pass rush up the middle on passing downs, takes double teams, makes stuff easier for the rest of the guys. Mo & Sheldon are key for this defense to even work. Now whether you have Snacks at NT or Ellis is not gonna make a difference, so I'd trade Snacks if we can get something decent in return. Ellis might even turn out to be better. He's way more disruptive, he always collapses the pocket immediately and bullrushes guys back 5 yards. I'd actually like for him to be our NT if he could just stay healthy.

Archived