Sooo...do we take anything away from Geno having a pretty decent game Sunday?

Matt39

It'd be nice if he'd at least show potential as a capable backup. All the FA QBs next year are backup types, anyway.

There are no expectations for Geno anymore...once we fire Rex and Idzik...if he can at least be a capable placeholder while we flush out the roster...thats all we can ask for.

There are no expectations for Geno anymore...once we fire Rex and Idzik...if he can at least be a capable placeholder while we flush out the roster...thats all we can ask for.

Sadly, I'd prefer that to signing someone like Hoyer. If you're gonna go with garbage, you might as well go with less expensive garbage that's already homeboys with Sheldon Richardson.

Geno will be one of the guys on the roster next year. If it's an offense-first coach, I'd imagine he'll have his own QBs in mind to bring with him. Regardless, the position will be a mess next year. Geno's future depends on him having a come-to-Jesus moment this offseason where he decides what he wants to do with the rest of his life. 

What are the options? Its in our best interest that Geno plays well these next 3 games and we lose. If we actually take Mariota or Winston(especially Mariota) he's not starting Week 1.

This weekend is going to be a 2015 NYJ training camp preview - Locker vs. Smith.  

I pray that Mariota gets a full season on the bench adjust to the NFL game.   Slim pickings for available vets. 

Gotta agree with Matt: if you don't land Winston, Mariotta or Cook, Geno is going to have a leg up on every QB you bring in, which is why it's imperative we lose out. Do people really still want to bring in Locker and Hoyer after the sh*t they've produced this year? Gross.

Word. The positives with Hoyer were although not overly talented, he wouldn't make mistakes. He's giving the Browns nothing right now. Manziels getting the start by default.

Or has that ship sailed? That was actually a functional offense against a decent enough defense.

It's actually an interesting question.   I'm not quite sure I'm ready to dismiss the guy fully, but I'm not ready to trust him either.   

I think his play to end the season will have an impact, but not nearly as much as people would assume.  He's going to be on the roster next year, there is nothing to gain by cutting him.  He has more talent and is still young enough than most of the backups in the league, so there is no upside in him being cut other than to satisfy fans and media (the same ones that lament over every completion Sanchez has now).  

I think he goes into the season as competition for whoever comes here.   There really isn't anyone out there that is going to come in as a surefire starter.   So then it depends on the coaching staff, and what offensive system they are installing.  If it's a quick read spread system, then he suits up well for that since he ran it in college, so we can try him out in it.  If we draft Mariotta, Winston, Cook, or anyone else, they would need to sit for atleast a few games before we throw them to the wolves.   So he's can be a holdover then as well.    

The only real way that I don't see him having any shot at starting next year is if we hire Helfrich and draft Mariotta because the system transfer is the same.  Otherwise, I think any coach is going to keep him on the roster, and I don't see anyone out there that should be guaranteed to start ahead.  Heck, Vick was the "top" QB free agent last year, and even he didn't do anything.   In essence, I don't think Geno is playing for a roster spot next year, because I think he'll be on the team regardless, and go into next year with a possible shot at starting unless there is some miracle trade that we pull off for a legit starter.  

Much like Sanchez improving after leaving NY, it's foolish to discard Geno without atleast trying a different offensive system.  But I would still draft Mariotta and possibly Winston.  If Geno works out, we will have a good problem on our hands.  If not, then we have a future QB on the roster.  With how important the QB position is, I think it'd be worth it to take the risk.  

For the right price they'd be stupid not to.

They need O-Line help in the worst way. I'd send them Brick, and use our top pick on a LT.[/quote

I actually like this idea. It works for both teams. We need a qb and ol help. D'brick is starting to show his age. We need to get new younger blood on the ol. Nassib actually got hold of the G offense while Eli sucked during preseason.

As far as Geno is concerned he's done as a starter. Statistically the worst qb in the nfl over the past few years. A pick 6 turnover machine. Don't let two end of year flourishes cloud anybodyz mind. One good month at the end of two lost seasons doesn't mean anything.

br

Say what you want about Geno, but he has all the tools to eventually succeed in this league. If he can clean up his mechanics and learn how to take snap from under center, he has a shot.

If he had sat on the bench a few years ala Aaron Rodgers, his career would be vastly different.

It's actually an interesting question.   I'm not quite sure I'm ready to dismiss the guy fully, but I'm not ready to trust him either.   

I think his play to end the season will have an impact, but not nearly as much as people would assume.  He's going to be on the roster next year, there is nothing to gain by cutting him.  He has more talent and is still young enough than most of the backups in the league, so there is no upside in him being cut other than to satisfy fans and media (the same ones that lament over every completion Sanchez has now).  

I think he goes into the season as competition for whoever comes here.   There really isn't anyone out there that is going to come in as a surefire starter.   So then it depends on the coaching staff, and what offensive system they are installing.  If it's a quick read spread system, then he suits up well for that since he ran it in college, so we can try him out in it.  If we draft Mariotta, Winston, Cook, or anyone else, they would need to sit for atleast a few games before we throw them to the wolves.   So he's can be a holdover then as well.    

The only real way that I don't see him having any shot at starting next year is if we hire Helfrich and draft Mariotta because the system transfer is the same.  Otherwise, I think any coach is going to keep him on the roster, and I don't see anyone out there that should be guaranteed to start ahead.  Heck, Vick was the "top" QB free agent last year, and even he didn't do anything.   In essence, I don't think Geno is playing for a roster spot next year, because I think he'll be on the team regardless, and go into next year with a possible shot at starting unless there is some miracle trade that we pull off for a legit starter.  

Much like Sanchez improving after leaving NY, it's foolish to discard Geno without atleast trying a different offensive system.  But I would still draft Mariotta and possibly Winston.  If Geno works out, we will have a good problem on our hands.  If not, then we have a future QB on the roster.  With how important the QB position is, I think it'd be worth it to take the risk.  

Well said.

Archived