Poll: Are you rooting for a meaningless win or a better draft pick?

Jetsbb

Are you rooting for a meaningless win or a better draft pick?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. I want the Jets to

• Lose to the Titans and get a better draft pick
    • Beat the Titans and get a worse draft pick

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To rehash: if we hadn't won those meaningless games last year we'd have Odell Beckham Junior right now (though Idzik probably would've passed on him). 

This stuff matters, the draft slots matter.  It's not just the first round, it's every round.

Anybody else see Magic Johnson's advice to the Lakers this year - LOSE EVERY GAME.  If you're bad then be bad so you get the pick to get impact players, if you're not playing for championships then you're not playing for anything.  Enough with the moral victory, middle of the road, mired in mediocrity. 

Better than winning games in December is winning games in February.

To rehash: if we hadn't won those meaningless games last year we'd have Odell Beckham Junior right now (though Idzik probably would've passed on him).

This stuff matters, the draft slots matter. It's not just the first round, it's every round.

Anybody else see Magic Johnson's advice to the Lakers this year - LOSE EVERY GAME. If you're bad then be bad so you get the pick to get impact players, if you're not playing for championships then you're not playing for anything. Enough with the moral victory, middle of the road, mired in mediocrity.

Yeah? Look how that's worked out for the Raiders and Rams. They have consistently been in the top 5 and have nothing to show for it. In fact this year Oakland will be in the top 5 again.

Unquestionably, in my mind I want the Jets to lose.

And like an idiot, I know I'll be rooting for them on Sunday. It's a disease

Same here. I want them to lose, but when I am sitting and watching the game I am rooting for our players to do well. Would love to see Calvin pryor get a pick 6 or see one of the  younger kids make plays. 

We need to rephrase this. Winning or losing games doesn't matter at this point. If you are rooting for the Jets to score more points than their opponents over the next 3 weeks, you are rooting for the team to have a higher likelihood of staying mediocre.

If you are rooting for the Jets to score less points, you are in favor of a higher likelihood of long term success.

This stuff matters, the draft slots matter.  It's not just the first round, it's every round.

Anybody else see Magic Johnson's advice to the Lakers this year - LOSE EVERY GAME.  If you're bad then be bad so you get the pick to get impact players, if you're not playing for championships then you're not playing for anything.  Enough with the moral victory, middle of the road, mired in mediocrity. 

I am about as worried about the Jets winning any more games this yeat as much I'm worried about the anorexia creeping up on me in my sleep. 

Rooting for good performances from players who project to be on the team

next year.  But I won't be heartbroken if we lose.  It would be nice not to

depend on who is drafting in front of us for once

We need to rephrase this. Winning or losing games doesn't matter at this point. If you are rooting for the Jets to score more points than their opponents over the next 3 weeks, you are rooting for the team to have a higher likelihood of staying mediocre.

If you are rooting for the Jets to score less points, you are in favor of a higher likelihood of long term success.

The last 20 years the facts say drafting a QB #1 overall is a pretty good recipe for being mediocre or worse. 

Andrew Luck

Cam Newton

Sam Bradford

Matthew Stafford

JaMarcus Russell

Alex Smith

Eli Manning

Carson Palmer

David Carr

Michael Vick

Tim Couch

Peyton Manning

Drew Bledsoe

2 Superbowl winners who happen to be brothers, 1 budding superstar who has won 1 playoff game, 4 busts, and a whole lot of mediocrity.

That doesn't mean you don't draft Marriota if you have the opportunity to but this notion that losing games makes you better only works when a Manning or Luck is available.  As far as I know Marriota is neither.

I'm rooting for them to lose too, but it's not as simple as you present it.

If Calvin Pryor makes some plays and starts looking like a good player, that's probably more important to the long term success of the team than a couple of draft spots.  (Though not 1st overall vs 3rd or 4th.)

The more people on the team that suck, the more holes we have to fill.  And draft position only partially compensates for that.  (Though again, 1st overall is still in play, so that's huge.)

For example, I'd much prefer Geno Smith to actually be a good quarterback and draft at 15, but that ship has sailed.

This is DEFINITELY that time of year where we win a meaningless game to hurt our draft position, just like in 2005 and 2008.  Granted, we made the right pick in 2005, but it was still infuriating to fall out of the top 3 with that Raider win.

Titans are beatable and I imagine we'll get the most out of sh*tty Chris Johnson in a revenge game.  And it'll be especially bad given how many other 2-11 teams there are who will jump us.

The last 20 years the facts say drafting a QB #1 overall is a pretty good recipe for being mediocre or worse.

Andrew Luck

Cam Newton

Sam Bradford

Matthew Stafford

JaMarcus Russell

Alex Smith

Eli Manning

Carson Palmer

David Carr

Michael Vick

Tim Couch

Peyton Manning

Drew Bledsoe

2 Superbowl winners who happen to be brothers, 1 budding superstar who has won 1 playoff game, 4 busts, and a whole lot of mediocrity.

That doesn't mean you don't draft Marriota if you have the opportunity to but this notion that losing games makes you better only works when a Manning or Luck is available. As far as I know Marriota is neither.

You are looking at this short sighted. This is not just a matter of our first round pick. It's every subsequent pick after too. These slots matter tremendously.

Aside from that, regarding the first round, winning meaningless games in December is what got us stuck with Vernon Gholston and what cost us Beckham, who we wanted badly. This is because the higher your draft picks are, the more options you have. Has nothing to do with Andrew Luck. It's every player on the board, having the option to take who you want, not just who falls to you.

If you are rooting for this team to win any of its last three games, you are rooting for it to stay a loser in the long term.

You are looking at this short sighted. This is not just a matter of our first round pick. It's every subsequent pick after too. These slots matter tremendously.

Aside from that, regarding the first round, winning meaningless games in December is what got us stuck with Vernon Gholston and what cost us Beckham, who we wanted badly. This is because the higher your draft picks are, the more options you have.

If you are rooting for this team to win any of its last three games, you are rooting for it to stay a loser in the long term.

Plus Pac is discounting the possibility of trading down from a valuable pick slot.  No one will ever give up an RGIII-esque package again but there's a chance we could walk away from our 1st round pick with a quality player, an extra 1st rounder in 2016 and a little more.  Something like what the Browns got in the Sammy Watkins deal.  If a top QB or Amari Cooper is on the board when we pick this type of deal is very much an option for us.  It's not if we win a game like the one this weekend.

Do the Robot.

Plus Pac is discounting the possibility of trading down from a valuable pick slot. No one will ever give up an RGIII-esque package again but there's a chance we could walk away from our 1st round pick with a quality player, an extra 1st rounder in 2016 and a little more. Something like what the Browns got in the Sammy Watkins deal. If a top QB or Amari Cooper is on the board when we pick this type of deal is very much an option for us. It's not if we win a game like the one this weekend.

Pretty much. Do you know why nobody ever trades up with us? Because we're never in a slot that matters. And the one time we were was the year we were stuck in no man's land because we just HAD to beat Kansas City.

Pretty much. Do you know why nobody ever trades up with us? Because we're never in a slot that matters. And the one time we were was the year we were stuck in no man's land because we just HAD to beat Kansas City.

What do we look like for the last 7 years if we lose that game and get Matt Ryan as our QB?  Honest question.

Depends who you ask. If you're Shane, we're in the same boat. If you're Pac, we're at least 4-time Super Bowl champions.

No I think it's the opposite actually.  Because if we draft Matt Ryan in 2008 Mangini probably sticks around.  Pac refuses to acknowledge an alternate history that does not include Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez.

Archived